Agreeing and disagreeing

In this video, Emir and Paul discuss a design for a client. Listen to the language they use for agreeing and disagreeing and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you agree and disagree? Listen out for useful language for agreeing and disagreeing. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Paul: So?

Emir: I'm not convinced by that idea.

Paul: Why?

Emir: Well, this design is just too simple.

Paul: It's not simple, it's minimal. Plus, it's what the client asked for.

Emir: I'm not so sure. Look … Look at these designs here. I think this is the style that the client wants.

Paul: Hmmm … I think I disagree. They said they wanted it clean and minimal.

Emir: These designs are clean and minimal.

Paul: Look, don't get me wrong, Emir. I like them, but I don't think they fit the brief. For example, here, there's just a bit too much going on.

Emir: OK, I see what you mean, but without all the colour, it would look a bit … empty.

Paul: True. OK, how about taking that and that away? So it still looks interesting, but less busy.

Emir: OK … maybe you've got a point there. Actually, that has given me an idea.

Emir: So we remove the blue. I think that creates a nice balance.

Paul: Yeah, yeah. I think you're right. Changing the circles helped too.

Emir: I agree. So we're happy with this now?

Paul: Yes, definitely.

Emir: So it looks like we can agree!

Paul: Occasionally.

Ana: Hello again! I'm pleased that Paul and Emir agreed with each other in the end. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for agreeing and disagreeing? Listen to me and then repeat.

I'm not convinced by that idea.

I'm not so sure.

I think I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, but I don't think they fit.

I see what you mean, but it looks a bit empty.

OK, maybe you've got a point there.

I think you're right.

Yes, definitely.

I agree.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you agree and disagree in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by Maria_Krasovskaya on Tue, 24/05/2022 - 13:21

Last time I disagreed with my boyfriend. But now I don't even remember why we had an argument)

Submitted by tb.alharbi on Sun, 22/05/2022 - 17:58

Previously i disagreed with many people but now i just changed how i think and now i do agree with many people

Submitted by samitavaz on Mon, 09/05/2022 - 22:02

I disagree with someone everyday. Mainly in the work, when people do some activities wihtout references or researches.

Submitted by AFiacco on Sun, 08/05/2022 - 12:11

The last time I disagreed with someone was yesterday, I was talking to my friend Marco about traffic and cars, I states that building more roads brings more pollution, I saw his point but I disagreed about that. I said that the habits of people make the difference

Submitted by nkvy on Mon, 25/04/2022 - 07:34

The last time I disagreed with my friend was when he drank beer and he wanted to pick me up home. It make me so scared, then I still went home safely by another friend.

Hi everyone
I disagreed with my husband becouse he dont like the color of the bedrom its to dark , then , he convencing me to keep rigth in this color.,

Submitted by RubiJJ on Tue, 29/03/2022 - 02:35

Hello everyone!

Last weekend i disagreed with my boyfriend about the place we were having lunch. He wanted a hamburger and i was craving for sushi.
He said it was his turn to pick a place. So we ended up eating, yes, sushi!!

Submitted by Josue Hernandez on Wed, 23/02/2022 - 03:42

The last time that I was desagree with another people was around along time ago, and was with my father he said me that my favorite club of futbol will not champion that campain, but fortunately my team (Cruz Azul) after 23 years were Champion of the tournament again.

Submitted by Khandaa_14 on Thu, 10/02/2022 - 15:31

a few moments ago I totally disagreed with my mother. She said to me; you don't rush to get married because you are young and you have to learn so many things about the world and also achieve your dream. Firstly I am convinced of my mother's opinion but I really want to recognize some of the people who like me.

Hello Khandaa,
I disagree with your mother's opinion. Getting married at a young age is not a bad idea, especially when you choose a good person to live with and with who you can share life and responsibilities. Marriage will not stop you to realise your dreams and will not affect your career if you know how to separate common life and work!
However, I think having kids at a young age is not a good idea, we should be mature enough to raise kids, make them happy, and take care of them as much as we can :)

Submitted by nistornicolae96 on Fri, 04/02/2022 - 12:42

I think I find a little bit difficult to disagree with someone. Not everyone can be polite, understandable and could arguing on some topic. I always need to find the best way to say what I want to say, without being aggressive. And more often I finish giving the right to the other.

Submitted by Efimova on Wed, 02/02/2022 - 17:03

The last time i was disagreed with someone was four days ago. I was not convinced by my narratives idea to how we should spend the rest of the day. She wanted to go to shopping and then take a short trip to the sea. She had some good arguments and i started to think that she has got a good point there. I said to her that she was definitely right. Finally we were occasionally agree with each other.

Submitted by aza on Wed, 02/02/2022 - 10:19

Yesterday evening I was disagree with my daughter, because she is lezy and each time she have to clean up the table, it seems to be involving in a epic movie.
Adolescence is a strange time, during wich is necessary to discuss for evolving....but it's hard for the parents.

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Tue, 01/02/2022 - 15:29

I disagree with my best friend because they always make fast decisions without searching for things. And I'm not satisfied with their decision. I'm always deciding my way. I'm always doing valuable things.

Submitted by younes01 on Tue, 25/01/2022 - 09:31

the last time I faced a situation when I have to agree or disagree is yesterday when our cat got out from home without our permission and got back in the evening and we got on in a discussion for punished the cat or not.
my dad said the cat shouldn't be punished but I disagreed with him because I agreed with my mum wich thought we should punish it.

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Sat, 15/01/2022 - 22:04

The last time I disagreed with someone was when my best friend and I were talking about what the best soccer player is. My best friend said that Lionel Messi is "the real goat" but in my opinion Cristiano Ronaldo is a little bit better than Messi. At the end we agree that everyone has is own likes and preferences.

Submitted by Gizmoist on Wed, 05/01/2022 - 17:30

After having a baby, my spouse and I often discuss the issues related to our son. For example, my husband always wants him to take to the park even snowy days or he doesn't want to change my son's clothes even he is so sweaty. In these moments, we always argue and I often disagree with him.

Submitted by BelaBela45 on Tue, 04/01/2022 - 00:08

Sometimes I disagree with my husband because I like to think a lot before making a decision , and he is more impulsive. For example, he is used to buying things because they are in promotion or because he never these had items before. Me, I prefer investing my money in things that I really need and WHEN I need them , and if they fit in my budget.

Submitted by Myat Moe on Mon, 03/01/2022 - 09:58

I always argue with my brothers over small things. So this is such a useful lesson for me. Now I can use a load of phrases to argue with them.

Submitted by Daniel Garroux on Sat, 01/01/2022 - 19:22

The last time I disagree with someone was during a conversation with friends. One of them was against getting the vaccine. We finally convinced him to do it, but it was very hard, cause he had a lot of concerns about the collateral effects of the vaccine.

Submitted by huynguyen09 on Fri, 31/12/2021 - 15:03

The latest time that I disagreed is when I talking with my boss. I don't think the plan he has prepared for our team is following the orientation of the director.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 01/12/2021 - 08:34

When I disagree something I usually say I don't like this idea or things. It's happens everyday.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Thu, 21/10/2021 - 12:00

it is only recently, me and my friends we had a group homework. My friend gave bad ideas and of course I objected to those ideas. after that, we had a long discussion, finally we have come to a joint decision and finish our group homework.

Submitted by arturo.barrios on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 01:28

with my wife, we are disagree about the education of our childs, she´s very permissive and my teenager daugther wants to hang out with her friends all days, and our son dont have control with with the time tha he pass with video games, I put rules but my kids revel against my directions.

Submitted by stefanomalinconico on Wed, 06/10/2021 - 18:43

By the end of my course in the college, I was hired to a position in a company where the experienced consultant did not have a high knowledge level in a technology that became very used on that time. I was chosen by recruiters exactly because I had a good background in this technology. So, this situation made me face a lot of disagreement with this consultant.

it's case by case because we have a lot of discussion in work or in life. Some time I agree or disagree with anothers idea.

Submitted by siddhuk2002 on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 07:05

Hi all! It depends on a lot of situations. Sometimes I disagree with my brother when he's telling a lie. Sometimes it escalates to fights.

Submitted by krigss91350 on Fri, 10/09/2021 - 07:57

i was disagreed with one client of mine yesterday. He wants to cover his balcony by lime boards instead of pines ones. I didn't try to persuade him to change this decision because he has already bought this lime boards and insulation as well. Soon after his balcony will have been covered by these lime boards there are appear mold and mildew because of moisture and because that lime boards don't have resin inside theirselves.

Submitted by Celise Monteir… on Sat, 04/09/2021 - 02:29

Im my work, I desagree with one collegue all the time. But, I improve to deal with a conflict, and many times I stop to listean, I explain my ideas and we try to reach a consensus.

Submitted by KarenAvdalyan on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 11:14

I often disagree with my colleague when we discuss a new task or feature about the project, however like in the video above we always find a way to agree with each other.

Submitted by carolina guerrero on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 03:21

the last time I'm desagree whit someone was when I did an university's work whit a friend. Was difficult to agree.

Submitted by maximumjeff on Sat, 26/06/2021 - 08:12

The disagreement that I had with my friend was about which movies to watch. She wanted to see love movie and I wanted action film. We finally chose to watch a humorous one.

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Thu, 17/06/2021 - 20:19

The last time I disagreed with someone was before the pandemic, in 2019, I was talking to my comrade, and then we disagreed our ideas about a project, and I rejected him. It was an awful situation, but finally the problem was solved

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Wed, 16/06/2021 - 08:58

I am flexible and negotiable one. I don't think I am always right. when I disagree with someone, I pointed out her what are the reasons. On the same time, we tried to find out the best solutions of the problem with win-win method. Many thanks for other collogues' interesting comment.

Submitted by Cima on Fri, 04/06/2021 - 17:25

Yesterday I disagreed with some calls mates on how to make an online campaign and how we target the customers but everyone has a different idea about it, finally we agreed on putting two options together.

Submitted by Sika2803 on Sat, 29/05/2021 - 16:41

Two days ago, I disagreed with my friend about her study. Since she started her part-time job, she has become failing in schoolwork. It’s also the reason of my disagreement. At that time, I gave her some advices to hope she realizes which is more important. But I don’t know how she think after hearing my sincerely spoken, because she seems to wanna earn money more. No matter how we still young, i think we should focus on our studying first.

Submitted by Homam21 on Mon, 24/05/2021 - 11:47

It always happens. There are many suggestions or opinions at work we agree with some of them and disagree with the rest.

Submitted by Paula Bermúdez… on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 20:12

The last time I disagreed with someone was my sister, but now we agree! Our problem was that last night we decided we were going to go jog. So, she said that the best time to go out was at night, but she did not convince me of her idea, because I agree that it is better to jog in the afternoons. To sum up, we select the night for the run.

Submitted by ALLESTALL on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 16:30

I often disagree with my husband or my son about any topic such as food, trips, gardening etc... I think I am right and the are convinced they are right as well... so in the end we try to find a good solution for everyone.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 07:12

Last time when I disagreed with somebody was when we are choosing a baby carriage, I preferred cheeper one but my wife more expensive. My wife won.
Profile picture for user RAYNEE PEREIRA

Submitted by RAYNEE PEREIRA on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 21:54

It depends on a lot of situation. I don't usually disagree with people, because my time is precious. Sometimes it is better to be silent.

Submitted by SofiaShevchenko on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 13:53

Normally, I am calm person, and don't have any problem with people

Submitted by Zahra2004 on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 09:45

On last week I think I was disagree with my friends opinion, she was upset with me and now I don't think we can be a friend again.

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 04:27

Yes, last time I disagree with my friend opinion while we discuss about our childhood friend. My childhood friend is a girl and she now addicted with the tinder activities. My friend Priya also support her addiction. That's why I disagree with her opinion.