A class forum

Learn how to write a post on a class forum.

Reading text

Add your comment below:

So cool to read about everyone's home tradition they miss the most! I'm from England but I've been living in the States for five years and the thing I miss the most is Bonfire Night on November 5th.

The best thing about Bonfire Night is the fireworks, oh, and the bonfires! … and the history behind it. Basically, Guy Fawkes and his friends tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill King James I. They nearly did it too – they hired a room under the House of Parliament and filled it with explosives. But someone told the royal palace. The authorities found Guy Fawkes in the room guarding the explosives, and he was sentenced to torture and death.

So it's a tradition that celebrates the fact that the king survived. It also means people don't forget what happens if you plot against your country. There's a kind of poem about it that starts 'Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder, treason and plot.' That's why we build a 'guy' – a life-size model of Guy Fawkes – and burn it on the bonfire. Pretty dark and horrible when you think about it!

Tips

1. It's nice to start by saying something that shows you have read other people's posts.
  2. In a class forum you can be quite informal.
  3. In informal writing you can sometimes miss out the beginning of a phrase:
    So cool to read about everyone's home tradition ...
  4. Remember, in a forum you are part of a long conversation with a lot of other people so they might ask you questions.
Do you need to improve your English writing skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English writing skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

B1 English level (intermediate)

Hello EmptyDysfunctionalBox

Thanks for your explanation of how Christmas is celebrated in Ukraine. I lived in the US for many years and you are absolutely right in saying that Carol of the bells is very popular there. I had no idea where it came from.

By the way, if you're interested in reading more about Christmas in English, I wanted to point out that we have several other pages about it: a Magazine article, a Vocabulary page and several videos in Word on the Street. I hope you enjoy them!

All the best

Submitted by fifisaad_99 on Wed, 03/07/2019 - 14:05

I would like to introduce myself for you, my name is Fatima am from Sudan a country in the east of Africa, It's very nice country because of its nature; the autumn season the best weather in Sudan. I like many traditional food in Sudan done by white flour and yeast which name is " aseeda" like a bread we put it in special mold, beside this there is a dish containing minced meat plus tomato sauce and okra "Wika" this dish name is " Molaah Tagalia".

Submitted by gayrat-arapov on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 08:06

Hi there! It is a wonderful reading task to upgrade one's level!

Submitted by mehdi_84 on Sat, 29/06/2019 - 04:56

in Iran we have a tradition that based on fire too, named " Wednesday Celebration " that is held on the last wednesday (actually the night before) of the year. people set fires in their neighborhoods ,but not as big as bonfire, and jump over them. while they are jumping they say: My yellow color for you, Your red color for me.

Submitted by tooran on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 07:54

That's so great to being familiar with international tradition. Actually I had herd about Bonfire Night and Guy Fawkes but not with details so your text made it become unforgettable. I am from Iran and one of the most popular tradition which I like is called Noruz. All people in I ran also some other countries celebrate the first day of spring. Actually it is similar to Christmas somehow.

Hello tooran

Thanks for sharing that information with us. If there are any other users reading this comment who would like to know more about Nowruz, we have a short article about it in our Magazine. Maybe you will enjoy reading it, too, tooran, though of course you are already an expert on it!

All the best

Submitted by Birjees zahera on Tue, 18/06/2019 - 06:47

Hi everyone i born and brought up in India. India is a big country in south east Asia. it has many states and a few territories. i am from north India. North Indian culture reflects the diversity of traditions and customs of the vast region it encompasses. North Indian culture has been impacted by Greek and Central Asian invaders during the early centuries. the states i belong is utter pradesh where two holi river Ganga and Jamuna flows .

Submitted by minjulu on Tue, 11/06/2019 - 08:55

I would like to introduce the most popular tradition in South Korea named "a fire to kill mouse" where I am living now and it is very similar to bornfire night that is descrived in text above. It was a annual and just one night event for Korea people who were suffuring from mouse to kill them all by buring fire in the field.

Hello minjulu

I'm afraid we aren't able to do this. We simply have too much work to be able to correct our users' comments. If you would like to ask us a specific question about a specific phrase or sentence, we can help you with that, though.

All the best

Submitted by akgupta.uidai on Mon, 10/06/2019 - 11:36

Hi Dear all, Very nice to read this article about bonfire in Londan ! I am from India and belong to Hindu religion.Similarly one the festival celebrating in India that is call Dasahra on October month.Basically this festival celebrating in acount of the GOD( RAM) and Durga Mata Ji, total 10 days of this festival first 9 days celebrating ad pooja for Durga Mata and last days is celebrating Ravan dahar by bonfire by RAM.

Submitted by onderkose on Sat, 08/06/2019 - 06:25

Hi. Every country has the same things. Do you know why they tired to blow up the parliament?

Submitted by MAX LEITE FILHO on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 19:07

It´s nice to read about everyone' home tradition. I know many kind of history of my country. And when I remember them, I understand how much we can leran with our past There are good and bad histories.

Submitted by Golden_moon on Wed, 22/05/2019 - 05:42

Thank you for sharing your tradition. It is very interesting and shows the diversity of traditions in the world. I've noticed that there are so many lunar traditions in Asia. It is fascinating. I am from Central Asia, my people were nomads in the past. We celebrate New Year from the 21 to 23 of March. When it starts to get warmer and nature wakes up from a long sleep. We cook a lot of national food, we go out and gather at yurts (which build specially for the occasion, we don't live in yurts anymore). Also, It is family time, we like to visit our relatives and eat a lot.
Thank you for sharing your tradition. The tradition that you tell us is similar our tradition. I'm from Turkey. We celebrate Day of Hidirellez, on 6 May, every year. Winter ends and summer starts on this date. All people go out at night. All people jump over a fire. People believe that jumping over fire on this date protect from glance and sickness.

Submitted by smell08 on Tue, 14/05/2019 - 14:34

It's fresh story that I never heard. To honor ancestor, we hold memorial service that decendants prepare such as ancestores pictures, foods, fruits and etc anually at Chuseok and New year's day. And then we visit ancestor's graves. By doing this, decendants think their ancestors could take a rest in afterlife and they could protect their decendants from bad things.

I am fond of hilidays. I enjoyed a number of holidays such as winter and summer holidays. To be honest, i like to enjoy each and every moment of life. If, I talk my last weekend this weekend was not so many enjoyable because on this weekend i complete my all pending work related to my bgv document.

Submitted by Saidred on Thu, 25/04/2019 - 13:34

I'm from Uzbekistan and I like our wedding traditons. They are very colourful.
Profile picture for user anicoralv

Submitted by anicoralv on Wed, 17/04/2019 - 13:08

Waoo, that tradition is interesting and also wear, but I like it! I'm from Colombia and in my country each month we have different types of traditions; it depends on the city and department. In Barranquilla who is in the north of the country, we have the "Carnaval de Barranquilla" there is where many cars and people go out to the streets with a mask and very funny clothes. Also, in Medellín, we have the "Flowers festival" and in Pasto, we have the "Black and White festival". I born in a diverse country and this is one of the things that made my country unique. I love my country, the people and the traditions too because when people celebrate any tradition it means that is a Holy Day (we don't have to go to work or study). Time for enjoys life!

Submitted by mariluqueb on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 18:41

It was very entertained to learn about other countries and cities traditions. I'm from Bogotá, Colombia. There are many traditions in many cities, however in the capital I feel the people lost the biggest traditions, perhaps for the development and technology. One of the biggest traditions in Colombia is in San Juan of Pasto, at the south of the country in the department of Nariño. There is a celebration called The Carnival of Black and White. It is celebrated at the beginning of each year, and people paint their faces one day with black and the other with white, it's due to the meaning of Pasto for being a place where cultures are reunited. There are big floats, choreographies and costumes. People of all over the country and around the world came to celebrate this four day festival and have a great time.

Hi guy It's interesting to read about your traditions.I'm from Myanmar and there are so many festivals in Myanmar.I want to tell you about our Thingyan festival(water festival).We celebrate it in April and it is the beginning of Myanmar month.We water each other to clean the negative things happened to us in the past.We pay respect to older people and do good things to begin our Myanmar new year well.

Submitted by KRISHNAKANTTIWARI on Tue, 09/04/2019 - 17:17

Without doubt it was an interesting and informative article. It helps in understanding the reason behind very common traditions which are followed or celebrated around the world.

Submitted by Duckblue on Sun, 31/03/2019 - 19:13

This is so curious to read about such sort of traditions. Maybe because it's sad and ironically at the same time. I suppose there are a lot of traditions which appeared to make afraid people. I mean you can't do something wrong because you know you can be caught and you will pay for it so much. This guy didn't plan that all but he wasn't luck enough to hide from guards. So he paid his life and his reputation.

Submitted by jcsj1172 on Thu, 28/03/2019 - 08:22

Hi, I am Juan Carlos From Spain, I live in Malaga. In my country there are a lot of traditional events, but I think that in Málaga the most iconic is the Eastern Week, it's in Spring beteween March and April and celebrate the Jesus died. The streets are plenty of people to see the Holy Week steps, every day in this week there are a lot of steps or procession, where people carry a throne of a scene of the death of Christ. There are Nazarenes and music band of bugles and drums. The streets smell of rosemary and incense is a very beatifull celebration!.
Profile picture for user CHINMOY_53

Submitted by CHINMOY_53 on Tue, 26/03/2019 - 17:50

It is just great to learn about traditions of so many countries described with different fervours. Each stands with its uniqueness- ways of celebrations, origins of traditions, pomp and galore of the festivals.And I am rather inspired to tell something about a tradition of our country India. I personally like "bhaiphota" or "bhaiduj" or " brothers' day".It is enjoyed only for a day , just after kalipuja. This is a festival of brothers and sisters only elder sisters prays for brother's long life with sandal wood paste on the brother's,brothers present gifts to her sweet sister. Sisters also reciprocate it. Throught the day ,they chat endlesly with frequent supply of delicious dishes and finally presents a grand dishesh

Submitted by mansurakcay on Mon, 25/03/2019 - 09:31

It's really inspiring to read about traditions from different countries and cultures. I'm from Turkey and as you know this country builded on the lands of Anatolia and Mesopotamia. It's mean many country, culture lived on this lands even first civilizations was here. So, it's mean we have a lot of traditions. But I am not gonna mention one of the old traditions. It's gonna be one of the new traditions. The great leader, soldier, commander and teacher Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the father of the Republic of Turkey died at 09.05 am on 10th of November, 1938. From the day he died till today and in future every November 10 at exactly at 09:05 am sirens play all around the country and everyone stands up and thinks his memory in silence. Maybe some of you do not know about him, do not worry, to understand his idea about life and everything you can read this; "Peace at Home, Peace in the World" - Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Submitted by ayanana on Thu, 14/03/2019 - 13:08

It's exciting to know about each tradition we have. I'm from Japan and the thing I like the most is hanami in this season! Hanami, of flower-viewing celebrations, is said to have begun in the 9th century. According to folklore, the mountain deity traveled to rice paddies on floating cherry blossom petals and nurtured the crop. Thus, a long bloom becomes synonymous with a fruitful harvest. Because of this relationship to rice that sustains human life the tree has been regarded as sacred. In addition, this tree is Japan's iconic flower as the beauty and brevity of life.

Submitted by inspiredcat on Mon, 11/03/2019 - 19:31

It is interesting to learn about traditions in other countries! I'd like to tell about a Russian tradition that I find quite strange if not to say horrible but so impressive. It is taking an ice plunge on the Epiphany Day (19 January). Orthodox christians plunge in icy water in holes that are cut through ice on rivers and ponds regardless of the weather. You know that the weather in Russia in the middle of January is very cold. In some regions the temperature can drop to - 40 degrees. But believers make it in celebration of the baprism of Jeasus Christ who plunged in the Jordan River.

Submitted by Gulbanu on Mon, 11/03/2019 - 12:07

My country has a lot of traditions. Some of them connects with celebration religion great datas, some - post-sovet union rudiment holidays. I don't like any of them, expect first days of may. In Ukraine these days are celebrated as Labor Day. It's a holiday and day-off for all employees. The weather usually is warm and pleasant. Citizens prefer to get a camping and open-air walking in this time. More off them have a good mood because of excellent occasion don't go to the work and have a fun.
Hallo! I think that the most people in post-soviet countries like the First May just because it is day off and the weather is good. But how many days-off have people in Ukraine in May? In Russia there are a lot of additional days and people often leave cities for a long trip.

Submitted by Juan Diego Gal… on Sun, 10/03/2019 - 02:03

So glad to learn more about other country´s culture. I´m from Colombia, and here we have a lot of festival and carnivals around the country. So I do not have a favorite one. Colombian people are dancers for excellence, so we try to enjoy whatever sort of festival. You´re welcome to visit our country and see everything that we have to show you.

Submitted by Sigel on Tue, 05/03/2019 - 20:31

I've been read all the comments and have learnt many interesting traditions all around the world. In my home country, Russia, we celebrate many different holidays. Personally, I like the most New Year.

Submitted by Silvi23 on Tue, 05/03/2019 - 18:43

I finde it realy interesting to read about traditions in other countrys. I think I can't miss a traditiion of my country because I don't live uproad....But I move away from my hometown, so I still miss my family and some family traditions. For example my hole family (4 children+mum+grandma) always have lunch together on sunday, often the same dish. Now I live 450km away...
Profile picture for user MAO

Submitted by MAO on Tue, 05/03/2019 - 12:16

Without doubt, reading about the variety of traditions and cultures from all over the world is an interesting thing, which can broaden our horizons and make ourselves connect with the others. When it comes to the tradition i like best from my country, Taiwan, I can't help but introduce the Midterm Festival of July on the Lunar calendar. People in Taiwan believe the existence of ghosts. And, these ghosts, we call them "good brothers" which are homeless or without descendants' sacrifices would be gathered in the hail. When the Midterm of July falls, these ghosts are released from the hail to the world for a period of one month. In order to show our respects and for fear of the happening inauspicious they cause, we prepare a lot of foods, cookies, beverages and paper money for the sacrifices. We pray for not having bad things and hope them fed up by these rich foods and pleased. The most delightful thing is that these foods will be our dessert or meal after the sacrifice. Everyone can't wait for the end of the activity.

Submitted by Sanafirdaus2711 on Thu, 28/02/2019 - 18:59

Its really great to know about other country's tradition. It not only helps in enhancing our general knowledge but helps in connecting globally as well.I am from india and here there is a lot of diversity in terms of different religion, culture ,languages and many more.I will share a tradition followed every year in india by masses of people.There is a festival called Dussehra which is celebrated by burning a plastic model of evil named Ravana every year.It was known that Ravana was the demon king of Lanka and had led several atrocities in his kingdom.The festival goes on for 10 days and on the 10th day also called as "Dashmi" the Ravana model is burned. This festival also preaches the lesson of defeat of devil over goodness.I feel this tradition really brings peace,happiness and love across the country and really enjoy to be a part of it.

Submitted by Viethuynh217 on Wed, 27/02/2019 - 13:09

So lovely to read about everyone' home tradition they miss the most. I am originally from Vietnam. I am away from home for several years to make a living. The thing I miss the most is family reunion every Mid-Autumn festival. We are incredibly looking for this occasion just simply because this is the only time of the year we are all in the same place, gazing at the moon, taking a sip of tea and having a chit chat. This memory always shine in my mind and I love it so much.

Submitted by ewazawada5 on Wed, 27/02/2019 - 11:45

It is very beneficial to find out about tradition of the country you live in even temporary.

Submitted by Poe Ei on Wed, 27/02/2019 - 03:54

It is interesting to learn about other countries' cultures while i am studying English. The Tradition i like most in my country (Myanmar) is Thadinkyut Festival. it is also known as the Lighting Festival of Myanmar which is held on the full moon day of the Burmese lunar month of Thadingyut. We pay homage to our elder family members and the feeling is peaceful and pleasant. The weather is neither too cold nor too hot. Moreover, there are many public holidays in that season and people are planning for their vacation trips aslo.
Profile picture for user Curious learner

Submitted by Curious learner on Tue, 26/02/2019 - 06:31

Happy to know tradition of many countries. The tradition I came to know about England is both tragic and entertaining. In my country tribal people celebrate lots of tradition every year with lots of festive and entertainment . Apart from this other communities also have their respective tradition. I hope I will share some of the traditions here.

Submitted by paulystano on Mon, 25/02/2019 - 20:57

It's very interesting to know about this kind of celebration dates. We know about the day and celebrate it, but most of us do not know about the history behind. Here in Brazil, for example, we have a lot of celebrations but most part of the population - including myself - do not know about the meanings.
Profile picture for user Htain Lin

Submitted by Htain Lin on Mon, 25/02/2019 - 07:25

It is very interesting to read about the traditions all around the world. I think every country has different own tradition. I am from Myanmar(Burma) located in South East Asia and one of ASEAN member countries. Our country has a lot of festivals according to our tradition. One of the tradition that I like best is Water Festival(we call thingyan). This festival was belonged over a long time ago. This festival took 4-5 days according to our calendar. During this festival we pour water on one another and at night we hold dance throughout the country. We are really happy during this festival.
That sound well, to my children will like to go that carnival because them are very happy with the water, on holidays, we go to at father in law home in Puebla, México. They pour water on one another and they are very happy.

Submitted by cadu on Thu, 21/02/2019 - 09:02

It’s interesting to read about the traditions in different places and share information with other students. I remember a carnival that happens all the years in Barranquilla Colombia. The people use costumes, dance and make funny movements. Some of they assume different roles and make jokes about the famous people. The carnival has a main phrase. “Who live it is who enjoy it”
Also in Mexico, there are a lot of carnivals, the best known is the Veracruz' carnival where the people to dance and drink all day. However, you must be careful with it, because some time things get out of control.
Profile picture for user NEIVA SOARES

Submitted by NEIVA SOARES on Wed, 20/02/2019 - 14:56

That's interesting, until reading that I did not know anything about the tradition.