Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by berkayak on Tue, 27/09/2022 - 09:56

My favorite kind of restaurant is home made food type restaurants. I like to eat fast food, but if I am going to eat it everyday, I prefer home made food.

Submitted by J-Castle on Tue, 27/09/2022 - 09:37

Well!! I can start telling that our outings are limited due to my wife has intolerance to many foods, then usually we are preparing our delightful food at home. Although sometimes we must push out to go on and we are going to restaurants where there is grilled meat. She has lactose, fructose and gluten intolerance. You can image, she must take care about the food and even its cooking.

Submitted by murtazaqayoumi on Sun, 25/09/2022 - 13:15

My favourite restaurant is afghani, it serves qaboli palawan, mantoo and it's really delicious 😋

Submitted by cesarasg on Thu, 15/09/2022 - 00:39

What's your favorite kind of restaurant?
My favorite kind of restaurant is Italian, I really like pasta.

Submitted by Lunavelasquez+789 on Wed, 07/09/2022 - 23:22

To me it does not matter the type of restaurant, as long as the food is scrumptions it would not mind, but if I had to choose, I would fancy going to an old-time style restaurant, with danceable music and friendly staff.

Submitted by mustafiz on Wed, 31/08/2022 - 11:30

My favourite kind of restaurant, that has Bangladeshi and Indian food like Biriani, Polao

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 03/08/2022 - 11:52

I like a restaurant which has a cozy place and kind staff.

Submitted by kirito25 on Mon, 25/07/2022 - 10:13

My favourite kind of restaurant, That one has a shawrma in its menu.

Submitted by Ahmed Gamal Elgamasy on Sun, 17/07/2022 - 05:59

Egyption Food

Submitted by Khairy Mohamed on Thu, 14/07/2022 - 17:23

Egyptian food.

Submitted by Sofía02 on Sun, 10/07/2022 - 04:25

I love the italian food

Submitted by Hamidreza Asadi on Wed, 06/07/2022 - 07:33

My favorite restaurant is a restaurant that has delicious food and an attractive environment

Submitted by ENRITISH on Mon, 27/06/2022 - 18:22

It was a litle difficult for me to identified the moment when the restaurant employee asigns the place of the new table. great

Submitted by nqdang3004.ielts on Sat, 18/06/2022 - 10:21

I also like to eat in the restaurant.

Submitted by Mm1111 on Mon, 13/06/2022 - 10:19

My favourite kind restaurant is japenese because they have a delicious and healthys dishes

Submitted by Ciri on Sun, 12/06/2022 - 13:19

I love indian food, for example tikka masala, so indian restaurant are my favourite kind of restaurant.

Submitted by Trololo on Tue, 07/06/2022 - 14:10

Hi everyone,
I like all restaurants if the food is good and if the restaurant is clean.

Submitted by najib.oulhouch on Sat, 04/06/2022 - 12:25

So, i like arabic restaurants on my coutnry Morocco, for example restaurants for a chickens, traditional foods, couscous..

Submitted by SABAD MOHAMED on Thu, 02/06/2022 - 15:29

My favorite restaurant is Somali and Arab restaurants.

Submitted by Kasseopia on Sun, 29/05/2022 - 15:15

Hi, everyone!
You know, I like different kind of restaurant: casual dining restaurants, fast casual restaurants, cafes, pizzerias. The best for me is tradition Italian restaurant.

Submitted by EslamTarig on Mon, 23/05/2022 - 16:01

my favorite kind of ristorante is clean and have pizza and chicken

Submitted by diego_s on Mon, 23/05/2022 - 01:14

I like pizza places that offer vast options of toppings (where I can stay away from the pineapple!).

Submitted by josselyngal on Thu, 19/05/2022 - 03:51

Anyone with pizza on the menu

Submitted by Waleed kasem on Wed, 18/05/2022 - 19:01

My favourite kind of restaurant is fast food. I like pizza and potatoes.

Submitted by khaled67 on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 19:35

My favorite kind of restaurant is a cheap and fried potatoes and Hamburger

Submitted by Nori on Mon, 09/05/2022 - 22:13

My favorite kind of restaurant is simply a cheap and delicious Sushi restaurant. I usually go there once a month; My family and I can't wait the day we go all the time!

Submitted by ardadas on Thu, 05/05/2022 - 06:30

My favourite restaurant is Huzur Restaurant in Göle. I eat döner there. :3

Submitted by Mstfamhmod on Wed, 04/05/2022 - 21:39

My favorite resturant is that one have a big menu with different types of food .
I love etalien food .

Submitted by Souhaïb MGHARBI on Sat, 30/04/2022 - 15:18

In fact, I rarely go to the restaurant, but I would like a restaurant with many available items such as Pizza, chicken, fishes and sandwish.

Submitted by badboyzz on Sat, 23/04/2022 - 14:41

My favorite kind of restaurant is Türkisch restaurant because Türkisch restaurant's staff so friendly and hosbitality. I want to share my experience in Türkisch restaurant. İt has so delicous and big meal.I recommend to everyone for try to Türkisch meal

Submitted by Andres Cuchimaque on Thu, 21/04/2022 - 18:53

My favorite kind of restaurant is a loft restaurant with a big menu, and different kind of flavors.

Submitted by Ahmed Elbarbary on Tue, 19/04/2022 - 12:14

Cafiar for seafood is the best

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sun, 20/03/2022 - 13:12

My favourite restaurant is Dream Land traditional taste and kind of Asian Halal food.

Submitted by lauhuhe on Fri, 25/02/2022 - 16:09

My favourite restaurant is the food of my grandmother's house

Submitted by zubeir on Mon, 21/02/2022 - 20:30

My favorite restaurant is Chinese restaurant. I love spicy food.

Submitted by Irena Gorak on Thu, 10/02/2022 - 18:08

I like small restaurants/cafes with a friendly atmosphere with original dishes

Submitted by Amin Kourani on Mon, 07/02/2022 - 06:20

What's your favorite kind of restaurant?
I usually like to eat fast food such as fried chicken with salad, but sometimes I do like to have pasta so, I'm interested to go to a Italian restaurant. but recently I'm trying to make pasta and chicken strips and many delicious food at home, so I don't go out for restaurant very often.

Submitted by jmajo on Thu, 13/01/2022 - 15:05

What's your favourite kind of restaurant?
I do not use to go to restaurants very often but if I have to choose one kind, I would go to an Italian restaurant to have pasta or a traditional restaurant where they serve local grilled meet with salads and that kind of meals.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by Ipo Soon on Tue, 11/01/2022 - 18:56

Thanks, I'm done :)

Submitted by Ahmed_Abouelazm on Fri, 31/12/2021 - 12:50

My favorite restaurant is called flag 19 near my house , i can eat a various delicious food , However i can eat good dessert and drinks.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 12:47

Definitely Italian restaurants.There many Italian restaurants here and their tastes are incredible.

Submitted by Thein Htet Zaw on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 07:28

My favorite restaurant is Shwe bae restaurant.Actually is not a local restaurant.The main food that they selling is grill duck.So we can buy the delicious grilling duck from that restaurant .That why I like these restaurant so much. Thank you.

Submitted by Albert73 on Tue, 28/12/2021 - 03:17

My favorite restaurante is the one where I can order any type of food.