National Tea Day

Tea is the world's second most popular drink (after water!). In the UK, you can even celebrate drinking it on 21 April.

Instructions

Do the preparation task first. Then read the article and do the exercises.

If you've ever spent time in the UK, you'll surely have had a nice 'cuppa'. There's tea for breakfast, tea during break time, tea when visiting a friend's house, tea to wake up, tea to relax ... you get the idea. Tea even gets its very own special day in the UK, 21 April.

Is the UK the 'capital' of tea?

In short, no. While drinking tea is certainly a centuries-old tradition in the UK, many countries have their own strong cultural practices involving tea. The nation which drinks most tea is Turkey, where a 2013 survey showed that people drank an average of ten cups a day! This was followed by Ireland, with the UK coming in third place. Other countries with an obsession with tea include Iran, Russia and Morocco. It is also a popular drink in China and India, where most of the world's tea is grown.

What do the British consider to be tea?

Many forms of tea exist around the world. Green tea is popular in China and Japan. In India, tea is often prepared with spices and boiled in both water and milk, and Tibetans commonly drink tea with butter and salt. In the UK, tea is typically a variety of black tea and can be prepared with loose tea or teabags. It is made with boiling water, allowed to brew for about five minutes and then mixed with a little milk (and possibly some sugar). And thus, the perfect British cuppa is ready!

Milk: before or after the tea?

Despite the fact that tea has been popular in the UK for hundreds of years, the question of when to add the milk is one which still provokes many an argument! Most people first pour the tea into the cup, then add the milk, but others disagree. It is said that this was a way for the rich to show off their wealth. They often drank tea in porcelain cups, and it was only the better-quality porcelain that could withstand the temperature of very hot tea. This meant that people who had lower-quality cups needed to first pour the milk so that the cup wouldn't break.

What is a tea party?

Many cultures have traditions of people meeting to sit together and drink tea. For example, Japanese tea ceremonies can be formal, elegant affairs which last for hours. In the UK, such gatherings range from formal to very informal. The most famous British 'tea' stereotype is probably afternoon tea, where people dress formally and meet in hotels or cafés to enjoy tea and cakes, all served on beautiful fine porcelain. Nowadays, going out for a formal afternoon tea is rare, and people will more often simply have a nice cup of tea and some biscuits with friends or family, catching up round the kitchen table.

What happens on National Tea Day?

On 21 April, tea parties are held in cafés, pubs, hotels and tea rooms across the UK. Many of these events aim to encourage people to try different varieties of tea and to appreciate how drinking it with others can enrich their lives. Some of these events also promote sustainably produced tea and better prices and working conditions for farmers, while others raise funds for different charities from the sales. However people observe this special day, it's about appreciating the opportunity that sharing a cup of tea gives to people to connect with one another.

Want to know more about tea celebrations this April? Search for #NationalTeaDay on social media. And remember, tea-drinking isn't just for April – it's always the right time for a delicious cuppa.

Source:

Do you need to improve your English?
Whether you need better English to travel or meet new people, our online English courses will give you real practice. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.
No votes yet

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Thu, 21/04/2022 - 12:25

Is tea popular where you live? What is the best way to enjoy a cup of tea?

absolutely, tea Is very popular where I am. I'm from Delhi and many people may have different ways to prepare tea. like they make tea without milk and in my family, all take tea with sugar and milk and enjoy with some snacks for me it has been a long time I didn't take a single cup of tea. in 15 of Jan 2022, I decided to stop drinking tea and coffee. it is not good for my health instead of tea I take lemon and ginger water every morning.

Submitted by sithutun on Thu, 09/12/2021 - 08:28

Tea is also a popular drink in Myanmar. People meet up at tea shop (in Myanmar we call cafe as tea shop) in the afternoon where they chitchat or discuss business or just relax. The elders love to drink the traditional tea - red tea mixed with condensed milk or just milk and sugar. Black and green tea are not very popular among the elders. Another kind of tea which is very popular among the young people is the Bubble tea or Boba tea originated from China. As for me, I prefer Bubble tea to traditional tea.

Submitted by Leila77 on Fri, 23/04/2021 - 13:37

Hi, I have a question about a sentence in the paragraph titled "Milk: before or after the tea?". In the sentence "the question of when to add the milk is one which still provokes many an argument!". Why it is said "many an argument" and not "many arguments"?
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Sun, 25/04/2021 - 07:52

In reply to by Leila77

Hi Leila77,

It's absolutely fine to say 'many arguments' here. Many an argument is a alternative form and you can sometimes see it as a stylistic choice: many an argument, many a discussion, many a question, many a conflict, many a fight etc.

Hi Peter, I appreciate your help. Every day, I learn new things with "LearnEngish". Leila
Profile picture for user Bignon

Submitted by Bignon on Wed, 14/04/2021 - 00:20

Tea is not a popular drink where I live, instead they often drink a traditional beer made from corn, which is called "tchakpalo", you can enjoy it after eating a delicious meal. Anyway I would like to try drinking tea, because I'm curious to know how it may taste. I also learn that it's healthier another kind of drinks so I think I is a good tradition which must last today and forth.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 16:32

Here is most common a cup a coffee. people drink tea too but the majority drink coffee. I have drink tea a couple of times but I didn't like it. I didn't find it delicious, maybe I have prepared badly. another common drink here is hot chocolate with a slice of bread or almojábana and cheese.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Thu, 14/01/2021 - 17:47

In my country people prefer the coffee, but also the tea is quite popular. Personally, I dont' like the tea, sometimes I drink it, when I feel cold, however. In this case I always use a porcelain cup, because I detest the plastic cups. I

Submitted by Kamjka on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 19:30

I didn't know tea day is 21th April. In my country tea is the most popular drink than coffe. We drink tea with family and friends. We add cakes our sweets too. That article is very informative and curious. Now I know more about tea

Submitted by Roojsej on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 00:00

In my country, Turkey, we drink so much black tea even if there are too many kinds of tea. It's like a passion for us. We usually drink tea in the evenings and eat savoury foods with it. It's a tradation for us. Espeacially in the Black Sea Region, people drink it much more.