A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Han Min Tun on Sat, 13/08/2022 - 07:21

I will do exceptions and favors to my loyal customers as long as it won't become a norm.

Submitted by asalvado on Thu, 11/08/2022 - 15:04

When you do your work you need to follow the regulations and do favours is not possible all times but it is kind and necessary for some clients. I do favours if it’s possible and if it won’t compromise my job.

The favor asked by customer to extend the payment terms in more 30 days won’t be possible because will have financial impact in firm but extend for few days would be possible or extend for more 30 days including interest.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Mon, 08/08/2022 - 15:25

It really depends on the case and company regulations. We usually make an exception for our loyal customers and also new customers. The reason is if we make an exception for new customers, they'll buy from us again.

Submitted by Johnnyc on Sun, 07/08/2022 - 19:52

I was hesitating to leave this comment 'cause I thought this question had been released a long time ago, but now I can see that there's still answers in July... so I'm not too late

As for me, Yes I did. And it was only with costumers who are trustworthy. And talking about trustworthiness, we can rate it according to past experiences.

Submitted by ivanricardo07 on Sun, 31/07/2022 - 21:57

It depends, if is the first time that this person has a cash flow issue being a company customer, we could contemplate making an exception, owing this is an especially situation. Further, if this person will place a new order, it would be nice to help him with an extension that his last invoice and ensure that well-treatment related to the customer is maintained

Submitted by rockerangela on Tue, 19/07/2022 - 12:16

It depends... If the costumer is a regular costumer, yes of course.

Submitted by Alegpl on Mon, 18/07/2022 - 21:13

I've done it but that is not what I usually do. On the other hand, I do not set the regulations I work with...

Submitted by dimzachari on Sun, 17/07/2022 - 16:58

My work isn't economic transactions. But to any work you can make a favour to a client. This favour must be in the roole and and the terms of the work.

Submitted by Al Darwish on Thu, 14/07/2022 - 10:03

Yes, sure it is regular to give some exceptional services for regular clients, business, as you know starting a new business needs flexibility.

Submitted by Richar55 on Wed, 13/07/2022 - 02:23

in my case I have the intern customer, and I think that is very important help your customer to improve their relationship. As people say the customer always is right

Submitted by nano1990 on Wed, 06/07/2022 - 14:37

Sometimes I have to make some exceptions regarding the work time, I mean, some days i have to work a little more time to complete daily tasks

Submitted by mnls on Mon, 04/07/2022 - 15:47

As a supplier, yes i can make favours for my important clients for once.
but i also have to know if sure they will pay thier orders or they couldn't pay cause of big problems in thier business.

Submitted by Alejolondono on Sat, 02/07/2022 - 02:32

This was a win-win business, sometimes companies, and by the way, customer service departments, forget about the flexibility that they must have, the rules must exist, but always accompanied by common sense.

Submitted by marinacaldas on Wed, 29/06/2022 - 19:22

I'm not a supplier or something like that, but I'm a costumer. And sometimes, I need a exception. So, I think, if I was a supplier, I'll help my costumer, but only if I already know him.

Submitted by CristianH on Tue, 28/06/2022 - 01:12

I live in Argentina. In my country is very common to receive this kinds of exceptions on the payments terms. I would say the exception in really is the rule.

Submitted by HamesMohamed on Sat, 25/06/2022 - 17:46

I have never been at this situation before but if the customer is one of vip customers and our transactions are good always so i will do a favor for him with in our company regulations

Submitted by Bmorales on Mon, 20/06/2022 - 13:13

Yes, of course, if it is possible and it works both ways

Submitted by FerdousShawon on Mon, 20/06/2022 - 07:33

Actually I never face this situation. Generally I will not favor anyone unethically . But if there is any exception and situation demands me to do so I will definitely do that.

This exception works like a customer retention, if you give solutions to your customers then you have happy costumer

Submitted by infahem on Fri, 17/06/2022 - 18:32

I've never been in a situation like this. if i, I would really help my client. We must also consider the financial situation of the company, however we mustn't forget not losing customer is more important than making money. also, if we help customer this favor can turn to money.

Submitted by Ciri on Sun, 12/06/2022 - 07:37

Yes, of course, if it is possible. I think that it is good way to keep them.

Submitted by Phillipe Nascimento on Sat, 11/06/2022 - 18:31

Nice class!

Submitted by CLAUDIA DELLA TORRE on Sat, 11/06/2022 - 16:48

I don't play a commercial role with clients, but sometimes I ask our commercial employees to make exceptions in order to find a win-win solution

Submitted by AngDor on Thu, 09/06/2022 - 03:04

I've never done any favour to any client in terms of money

Submitted by nguyenminhhoang on Wed, 08/06/2022 - 04:56

Yes, I often make a exception for some of my special clients because they are really prestigious and interesting. When they need a favour from me, I am willing to help them if possible within my ability. I think they hardly lie to me.

Submitted by Mm1111 on Wed, 01/06/2022 - 10:59

Yes, because I have a important customer and she is a amazing person and always help me, so I can do her a favour ever.

Not ever. If you always help her, she will think you are a really easy person to ask.

Submitted by Estefanilore on Tue, 31/05/2022 - 02:21

Yes definitely, with a regular customer can make exceptions.

Submitted by Van wong on Wed, 25/05/2022 - 08:14

Yes, I often do the favour for clients. They want my service hours extended, once they leave the office.

Submitted by Steevzs96 on Tue, 24/05/2022 - 20:49

When is an important client we try to do everything that are in our hands, but when is a client that we think we are not his first option we didn't make exceptions.

Submitted by EvelingArce on Sun, 22/05/2022 - 04:09

yes, bur first I evaluate my client : How long has she/ her been my client? have she/her payed me on time? Is he a trusworthy person? if the answer is yes, of course I´ll make exceptions with him or her.

Submitted by MOSAB ABAKAR T… on Sat, 21/05/2022 - 17:27

it is very important to solve a customer's issue because it will return you positively and you have taken experience if you face this affair a gain

Submitted by Arslan on Sat, 21/05/2022 - 02:20

Yes I do , I am a kind person I always make sure to help others if they need help with something .

Submitted by Kyawt on Tue, 17/05/2022 - 17:42

sometime I do a favours for important client but I need to make sure if their cashflow problems can solve ?

Submitted by ValeriaUA on Fri, 06/05/2022 - 18:02

Sometimes, Policy is not allowed to make an exception for the customer, unfortunately.

Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Thu, 05/05/2022 - 17:01

I think it is an easy lesson.

Submitted by rehammohsen on Tue, 26/04/2022 - 03:49

It seems that customer direct person and honest he deserved the extension payment i guess

Submitted by Patypereira on Tue, 12/04/2022 - 11:34

I would indeed, considering that it is an important customer.
Even if it was not an important customer I would still give him the extension because unexpected things happen and we have to be considerate of others' situations.

Submitted by Mostafa Elsayed on Thu, 07/04/2022 - 10:48

i am not a supplier but if i were a supplier , i would give him an extention to keep him loyal for me .

Submitted by Ehsan on Wed, 06/04/2022 - 07:04

of course, the clients who are important for us and have much deal with us, we should do some exception for them.

Submitted by Samah Hasan on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 21:28

I think exception mean that we use it rarely and if situation is really critical so agent should be clever to determine when he can make exception for customer

Submitted by dongol4u on Sat, 02/04/2022 - 12:03

From working experience, our client always ask me to give them an exception on payment terms. But in this case I noted that it is the first time Andrea asked for an exception. If it my decision I think I will approve on his exception.

Submitted by Chris Evan on Fri, 01/04/2022 - 09:52

I have not done favours and exceptions for clients cause I'm a student and I've never done any works or part time.But I think,i will give favours to our important costumers and our trusted customers.

Submitted by siavash on Sat, 26/03/2022 - 17:39

Haaa, This reminded me of my biggest problem at work, our customers always bargain on extending the payment time. They are always late and sometimes bring some excuses that make it worse, because believing on them makes us somehow stupid!!!

Submitted by Christygo on Fri, 11/03/2022 - 08:42

From the tone of their conversation, we can infer that Andrea is a regular and important customer. And I think the supplier gave him a favor not only because he is an important client and he is trustworthy but because this decision would not cause any problem. so what I mean is that I will do a favor for my client if the conditions permit. It depends.