Asking a favour

In this video, Noelia asks Paul for some help. Listen to the language Noelia uses to ask a favour and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you want to ask a favour? Listen out for useful language for asking a favour. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Paul, have you got a minute? I need a favour.

Paul: I'm a bit busy, but sure, what can I help you with?

Noelia: So, you know the branding job for Active Arctic?

Paul: Of course. It was so good to finally finish that project. It went on and on and on …

Noelia: Yeah, so … look, I'm really sorry about this, but they want some more changes made.

Paul: Seriously? I've already rewritten that copy, I don't know, like, 20 times?

Noelia: I know. I'm so sorry. Would you be able to work on it this afternoon?

Paul: Well, I'm not really sure if I can, Noelia. I'm finishing the Moosh Monkey social media campaign and they're expecting it by the end of the day.

Noelia: I'd forgotten about that. Is there any chance you could work late tonight?

Paul: Sorry, Noelia. I would if I could, but I can't.

Noelia: Please?

Paul: I'm taking my niece to the cinema for her birthday. It's been planned for ages.

Noelia: OK. Well, then could you come in early tomorrow? I'll make it up to you!

Paul: OK. How?

Noelia: Name your price.

Paul: An extra day's holiday?

Noelia: Can you get in for 5 a.m.?

Paul: 7 a.m.

Noelia: 6 a.m.

Paul: Deal.

Noelia: Deal.

Ana: Hello again! Looks like that's an early start for Paul tomorrow, then! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for asking a favour? Listen to me and then repeat.

Have you got a minute?

I need a favour.

What can I help you with?

I'm really sorry about this, but they want some changes.

Would you be able to work this afternoon?

I'm not really sure if I can.

Is there any chance you could work late?

I would if I could, but I can't.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to ask a favour in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by ryhn on Fri, 02/09/2022 - 12:45

it was yestarday someone came to where I work and his internet hasn't had I shared my internet with him because he would pay as mobile.

Submitted by vanviet1603 on Fri, 19/08/2022 - 07:41

I remember that the last time I did a favor to my soldier who asked to borrow my smartphone to contact his wife.

Submitted by Nandar Su Hlaing on Wed, 10/08/2022 - 11:15

I did a favor one of my friend last year. You know we face covid second wave the whole country, my friend who lives alone was suffered covid. So I cooked the meals for her and buying medicine what she needs and delivered to her on time. I supported her for nearly a couple of week. After that she recovered, I really pleased helping my friend.

Submitted by CrystalAeint on Wed, 13/07/2022 - 03:53

The last time i did a favour for someone is years ago before my best friend move to another country. She ask me a favour, is was to adopt her puppy and you know i love puppy so i agreed to it. Now is been 3 year i haven't been seen my best friend and i really miss her, But i still caring the puppy she give to me is was now become a big dog so i still doing her a favour.

Submitted by criss_bauza on Wed, 06/07/2022 - 14:19

When was the last time you did someone a favour?
I don't remember when I did a big favour someone.

Submitted by alexiamontes2004 on Fri, 01/07/2022 - 01:41

When was the last time you did someone a favor?

It was a few days ago when I did my aunt the favor of taking care of her children because she had a commitment.

Submitted by khalid muhammed on Thu, 30/06/2022 - 09:06

The last time I give a favour is this morning, I came to the company to do my office job, but some of the workers asked if I can help him move some things, we landed a cupboard downstairs, also moved many computers to another room, but for me helping people gives me pleasure.

Submitted by has__sah18 on Wed, 29/06/2022 - 15:22

Actualy i'm not used to ask somone's help, but i am always open to help.

Submitted by vl_ds on Mon, 20/06/2022 - 10:33

Yes , I’m really helpful. I’m glad to help someone who really needs it right now.
Last time it was the friend of mine, he asked me how to use Photoshop program. So I explained him the basics

Submitted by Crane_Eliza on Tue, 14/06/2022 - 09:04

Early this morning one of the workers came and asked me if I could give him some money in advance.

Submitted by alevegaa on Fri, 10/06/2022 - 05:48

The last time that I did a favour was last sunday for my mom

Submitted by Bersserk on Fri, 03/06/2022 - 18:06

I asked a favor my boss yesterday, to let me go home early.

Submitted by Estefanilore on Fri, 03/06/2022 - 03:49

The last time that I did a favour was in the morning for my husband,

Submitted by EMF_12 on Wed, 01/06/2022 - 23:59

The last time I gave favour to someone was a month ago when my aunt wanted some photographs that I had on my computer. She also said it was a special gift for my grandmother's birthday. So, I searched for the photos she asked for, and after a couple of hours, I found them. After that, we made a video with that pictures and showed it at the family meeting. It was a special moment.

Submitted by Van wong on Tue, 24/05/2022 - 05:26

I got a favor from a foreigner at Ocean Park some years ago. They were helpful and kind.

Submitted by Rocio Ambriz on Fri, 25/03/2022 - 20:43

Well actually my grandpa lives in my house and I always help him to sit or stand up

Submitted by rora on Sun, 23/01/2022 - 20:00

Very interesting, Thank you

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Mon, 17/01/2022 - 00:34

The last favour I did was to my best friend, he needed a soccer shoes for playing a game, so I lent him a pair of shoes, I decided to do that because he's a really careful person.

Submitted by Gizmoist on Mon, 10/01/2022 - 12:46

I remember one time that I did my colleague a favour. He wanted to switch his job and he must have attend the job review.
However, he didn't want to inform the boss about it. So he asked me a favour if I could arrange a fake meeting with him. I had arranged a fake meeting at the time when the job review took place. I gave him some space and privacy at the office :) In the end of job review, he got the job and thanked me a lot.

Submitted by Myat Moe on Tue, 04/01/2022 - 09:17

It's my brother again. Just this morning, he asked me if I could pour a glass of water for him. And I make him pay me 5 bucks for this.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 01/12/2021 - 13:52

I'm not remember when I give a favour to anyone.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Tue, 23/11/2021 - 10:37

I always do favours to people,I've just verify some numbers with my colleague in work when she said to me have you got a minute, I need a favour ?
I said : I'm not sure if I could
she said : Is there any chance you could work late ?
I said : I would If I could but I cant !

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Fri, 22/10/2021 - 13:33

I am not really remember but i often ask a favour from others

Submitted by Starting on Sat, 02/10/2021 - 08:44

I like giving someone a favor

Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Fri, 10/09/2021 - 20:20

My colleague Andy asks me if I can make a favour for her about to finish her work. And every time I help her so as not upset her.

Submitted by KarenAvdalyan on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 11:44

My Manager asked me to do the task with a high priority until the next day.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 27/06/2021 - 15:24

Useful, thank you! :)

Submitted by maximumjeff on Sat, 26/06/2021 - 08:30

I just did a favour to my wife awhile ago to help dry up her long hair with the new hairdryer

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Sun, 20/06/2021 - 02:16

I last did a favour today, when my mother and my little sister got back home. I helped to held their purchases from the door to the kitchen. After done that I decided to whip up. I put some meal into the cooker and then I chopped up some vegetables to eat with the meal, and finally I heated some frozen milk in the kettle.

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Wed, 16/06/2021 - 09:48

It was a great pleasure when I got opportunity to help someone.

Submitted by Sika2803 on Thu, 03/06/2021 - 10:03

It's happen almost every day, I help my family, my friend whatever I can

Submitted by MOHAMMED YOUSE… on Wed, 02/06/2021 - 23:54

It's great lessons.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 19/04/2021 - 14:02

Thank you for the lesson. I learned there're a lot of different expressions. ;) Have you got a minute? I need a favour. Would you be able to work on it this afternoon? Is there any chance you could work late tonight? Could you come in early tomorrow? Can you get in for 5 a.m.?
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 13:19

Well..... Maybe every day. ;)

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 23:48

I don't remember when I did, though I remember when someone did. It was yesterday, I was at cafe, and terminal for pay is broken, and I had't cash. I call to my friend, and ask a favour. I said "Hi Vova, can you help me, I have problem, plz send money to that number, I will send you back in 1 minutes."
Profile picture for user sajjad ghassemi

Submitted by sajjad ghassemi on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 11:18

I did a favour to my friend and it was about leaning English because he was a beginner student at English

Submitted by Nalim24 on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 10:15

I often do a favour, for example when I help my father with his work, or when I cut the grass of my grandma

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 03:26

Yes, last time I had a favor with my friends. I ask my friends to take participate the competition held by me. They also took participate the competition held by me.

Submitted by Ari on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 16:16

In fact, I do favors very often, I don't even notice it. For example, helping classmates with homework. Perhaps a lot of people think this is something bad or wrong on my part, and maybe they are right. But I like helping people. Actually, I don’t give them my notebook and I don’t say: "Take and copy it!" I try to explain it to them in an accessible way, although many people condemn it for it.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 00:14

The last time I did a favour for my friend, was in January 2021. As we both wanted to purchase a new model television, we could save on delivery charges if we ordered them together. I did him a favour by ordering them from Amazon account to save us both money.
Profile picture for user George Galliera

Submitted by George Galliera on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 14:03

I'd forgotten about that. lol

Submitted by Saad786 on Sun, 28/02/2021 - 13:15

I gave a favour to my friend last time. He was making the model of Taj Mahal and I made it earlier 2 months . He was feelings difficulty in setting up the pillars of Taj Mahal so, I helped him.

Submitted by Antoni Luna on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 18:37

Actually, I usually help my teammates with their assignments, there's always something they don't understand.

Submitted by jose luis torr… on Tue, 23/02/2021 - 03:17

The last time that I made a favour was yesterday. I explained a process to my workmate and sent an email asking someone else for approval.

Submitted by German on Sat, 23/01/2021 - 01:06

The last time that I did a favour was today in the morning when I printed a papers whose were important for my father

Submitted by facunica44 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 23:06

The last time that i did a favour when the last year, my friend had forgotten his trousers on my home and he asked me if i could take them to his home the next morning