Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by cesarasg on Fri, 16/09/2022 - 00:28

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there?
No, there isn't a local library, the nearest library is about 30 minutes by car. I go two or three times a month. I like to go to the library to read books and old newspapers.

Submitted by Sofía02 on Tue, 30/08/2022 - 04:30

In my city there are several library and once I was sent to the national library of my country, as was necessary for a task. I didn’t go back or go to another bottle.

Submitted by tnvchannel on Thu, 25/08/2022 - 10:42

A local library isn't had near my home.

Submitted by LearningTeaching on Fri, 19/08/2022 - 14:06

Yes, there are many big libraries in our city. I would have gone to the library more a few years ago, but now I can't spare time to read books on different topics due to the large number of classes.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 03/08/2022 - 14:51

I haven't gone to the local library since I was 16.

Submitted by Khanhduy112 on Wed, 27/07/2022 - 15:14

Yes, I have a local library. It's a famous library which has many books and newspapers. The library opens at 6.00 am and closes at 19.00 pm. It's a peaceful place to read books and look for information. Besides, this is a wonderful place to relax after a long working day. I often go to the library on mondays, wednesdays and sundays to read book and borrow some books. I usually come here with my friends and we listen to music and read books together. Because there's the only one library in my town, so it's very crowded espectually on sundays when everyone is off. The library is a place where is wonderful, everyone should come here at least one time in life.

Submitted by amal3535 on Sun, 24/07/2022 - 16:48

No, I don't have a local library

Submitted by huahua on Mon, 18/07/2022 - 09:02

There's no library in my local area. But I like reading books and studying in quiet places.

Submitted by maljber on Fri, 15/07/2022 - 15:12

Yes I do, I like go to library, because buy some books of the development self.
And I like read the digital books in my laptop.

Thank for all.

Submitted by Fadiazzam on Tue, 05/07/2022 - 17:30

I have a library and I usually go to library twice a week , I like read the history books sometimes I borrow the books to read in my home

Submitted by Mm1111 on Mon, 13/06/2022 - 11:10

Yes, mi town has a principal library and I usually go on Monday and Wednesday because I have a free time and I love read new books.

Submitted by najib.oulhouch on Sun, 05/06/2022 - 20:12

yes, we have it in my city, i didn't go to the library unfortunately because i'm not fine for lecture, i read some books, but i will try to go to it for reading some books.

Submitted by SABAD MOHAMED on Thu, 02/06/2022 - 17:44

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there?
yes, we have a local library, sometimes I go there, when I went there do I read the medical books, and business books, and rarely do I read motivational books

Submitted by Daii Saad on Thu, 02/06/2022 - 15:45

yes, I have a local library opposite the petrol station. I go there twice a week.
I read books there and I borrow two books there

Submitted by Kasseopia on Sun, 29/05/2022 - 15:38

Of course, there some libraries in my city. Unfortunately, I don’t visit them. Nowadays, all information that we need we can find in the Internet. That’s why there’s no necessity to go to the library. Also, If I want to read a book, not electronical book, but traditional book – I buy it in the Internet shop. That’s why I don’t need to go to the library. Actually, it’s not very good.

Submitted by diego_s on Mon, 23/05/2022 - 01:35

I do not usually go to the local library because they do not have so many books on my interests.

Submitted by Waleed kasem on Thu, 19/05/2022 - 07:44

when I was living in my hometown 15 years ago, I was going to the library five days a week to study. the atmosphere was incredible. the instructions were clear: no phones, no food, no drink and speak quielty.

Submitted by khaled67 on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 20:04

No, I don't have a local library

Submitted by Nori on Fri, 06/05/2022 - 05:35

There is a library that takes fifteen minutes by foot from my home. I go there once in two or three weeks to borrow some books for my work regarding computer science, programming, and system engineering.

Submitted by badboyzz on Wed, 04/05/2022 - 12:43

Yes ıt's close to my home.We have local library but I rarely go to there . Because I can't focus in library. Library has always crowded and loudly. When I go to library I do study lecture .

Submitted by Souhaïb MGHARBI on Tue, 03/05/2022 - 21:50

No, I don't have a local library, nevertheless, I had gone to my university library when I was a student in ordser to revise my lessons and borrow some books and reports of training in the field of civil engineering

Submitted by hoquyly14112 on Sun, 24/04/2022 - 09:56

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there?
1. In my university has a big library.
2. I often go there to borrow some books, technical books, lesson books, and English books. I can borrow 3 books for 2 weeks and must be regist number card.
3. Sometime I go to the library to learn something, use a laptop and microphone. It has a rule you always keep quitely.

Submitted by bkocak34 on Fri, 22/04/2022 - 07:24

Yes, we have a library in our university. We can borrow the book for three weeks. If we want keep more it, we must to pay one lira every day. Also it is there in my work place too, but our official library is not visible because of it is in a database :) People can use that all available books via pdf.

Submitted by Andres Cuchimaque on Thu, 21/04/2022 - 21:58

Yes, I have some libraries close to my house, however to be honest, I don´t visit them since the university, maybe 20 years ago. I always went there to take out books to prepare my classes in the university.

Submitted by alstroemeria on Wed, 20/04/2022 - 10:08

Yes, i have a local library in my school. I often go there to read books and doing my assignment

Submitted by SETTI on Mon, 11/04/2022 - 21:37

I go every saturday and sunday morning to read some books that make's me happy

Submitted by trongbumchiu on Tue, 29/03/2022 - 15:20

I am not generally go to the library, because i don't have almost read books. I'm going to make a routine with read some books from now. Hope I can do it.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sun, 20/03/2022 - 13:31

Yes, I have a local library. I go there every weekend. I take and return my favourite poetry books from the library.

Submitted by gokhanaktas10 on Sat, 05/03/2022 - 12:10

Yes I have a local library. 3 years ago I went there but I didn't borrow any books from there. We dont need a library card. We can bordro books without a library card

Submitted by anwarul on Tue, 08/02/2022 - 21:55

yes,we do have a library in our territory, and yes its a local library. it provides us books to borrow for a period of time. we go to our library and we sit there to read books or newspaper and magazines for as many hours we want to. we more often visit our library and it tremendously helps us in enriching our knowledge!

Submitted by Amin Kourani on Mon, 07/02/2022 - 07:52

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there?
The place that I work in has a local library, I've never gone there to borrow a book, but many years ago I ordered some books about asp.net programming but they send me wrong book and I brought them back.
nowadays electronic libraries are increasing and there are many apps that you can purchase e-books and other contents and it's one of the most advantages of E-Commerce.

Submitted by jmajo on Thu, 20/01/2022 - 16:08

No I haven't, there was one in my neighborhood but it was closed a long time ago, most of the people here buy it's own books or use digital books nowadays. When I want or need a book I use to buy a book or search online books for a digital edition.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by Ipo Soon on Thu, 13/01/2022 - 07:43

thanks, i'm done :)

Submitted by ocelfrat on Sat, 01/01/2022 - 15:00

Yes, ı have a local library. I go to the library twice a week

Submitted by Albert73 on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 21:33

In my country we have two local libraries. Thirty years ago I went frequently to do homeworks from my high school courses. Now, a few people go to the local libraries because they found their information on the internet.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 13:23

There is local library near to our house. I used to go there 6 years ago to get ready for university entrance exam. I've haven't gone there since 2015.

Submitted by zehrizer on Fri, 17/12/2021 - 19:24

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there?
When ı was student at mersin university ı used to go frequently to library. I used to study for exam and make research. But now i dont go. I have no idea about that there is a local library in my cit or not.

Submitted by yasmin.a on Tue, 14/12/2021 - 12:06

We have a local library. I have a library card too but I haven't borrowed any books for years because they don't have new books.
A long time ago, before I graduated from high school, I used to borrow books from there at least twice a month.
Is this correct?

Hello yasmin.a,

I'm afraid we aren't able to provide the service of checking our users' texts, but just this time I'll say yes, your sentences are grammatically correct. Well done!

We're happy to help with specific questions about a specific phrase or sentence, though, and it really helps us if you explain why you think something is correct or incorrect.

Submitted by lebanhatlongg on Mon, 29/11/2021 - 13:40

there is no library in my locality, because my locality not modern. But i wish to be built here in few years. I will working in that maybe twice a week because of i like the quiet

Submitted by Tien Manh on Thu, 25/11/2021 - 09:22

The local library is so far away from my home so that I just go there once or twice per month to read books. The library has a beautiful view of the river.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Sun, 21/11/2021 - 20:41

In my city, we have a library next to the church. I go to there one or two time per week. I work remotely as designer and I like to work in the calm sometimes.

Submitted by Ehsan on Wed, 17/11/2021 - 06:13

I used to go when I was preparing for university entrance exam and afterward I used to go when I was a student in the university. but I don't go now.

Submitted by cassia_1982 on Tue, 16/11/2021 - 11:44

I don’t have a library near my house, but I have been reading some books with my son. He brings some books from the library at the school he studies.
I have doubt about the text . The comprehension is that someone is looking for a library, it’s means that is the first time that he is there. So if it’s the first time, why the person said : every day you are late .

Hello cassia_1982,

Yes, that's right, it's the first time the student has been in the library. When the librarian says 'Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence', he means that every day that a book is late, you have to pay 50p. For example, if the book must be returned on Wednesday 17 November and you return it on Friday 19 November, you have to pay one pound (50p for each of the two days it was returned late). You can see the full conversation written out in the Transcript -- that might help too.

Does that make sense?

Submitted by John Nguyen on Mon, 08/11/2021 - 02:57

Where I'm live there's no library, so I'm go to my university where has a library. I regular go to there to do homework and research for information technology

Submitted by ANOUAR on Wed, 03/11/2021 - 12:13

Where I'm living there's no library but in the city where I was born there was a library where I was borrowing books