Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Nandar Su Hlaing on Sat, 06/08/2022 - 11:07

I haven't met new people for years I think. Now I hope to meet new people because I'm applying new job and I hope getting a job what I want and exciting to meet new colleagues.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 03/08/2022 - 15:49

I'm an extrovert person and love to meet new people. I usually meet new people through my other friends.

Submitted by Khanhduy112 on Tue, 02/08/2022 - 17:13

I'm a friendly and open-minded person but I rarely met new people in the past. However, I usually move to other places because of my job, so now, I often meet new people. I very love it since it's so interesting and wonderful. When I meet new people, I can make friends with them and learn a lot of new things about the place where they live such as customs, costumes, food, drink, and traditional festivals.

Submitted by myas92 on Fri, 29/07/2022 - 08:50

I often meet new people at parties, because I'm at work all week, just at the weekend I can visit new people

Submitted by maljber on Wed, 27/07/2022 - 16:40

I think every day meet new pepole in my work

Submitted by Fadiazzam on Tue, 26/07/2022 - 16:48

I always meet new people through my work , I'm happy when I meet new people , I think will be good especially when they are from other countries will be exchange the culture and get new information about other countries .

Submitted by amal3535 on Sun, 24/07/2022 - 17:17

Usually during working hours

Submitted by huahua on Sat, 23/07/2022 - 02:50

I often meet new people when I have to move new places because of my jobs.
It's very interesting and wonderful.

Submitted by Mm1111 on Tue, 14/06/2022 - 18:36

I usually meet a new people every weekend because I often travel for different cities

Submitted by Kasseopia on Sun, 29/05/2022 - 16:14

My best subjects are French and English. It’s really interesting to me to study smth new about language, to learn new constructions, to learn by heart poems and prose, to answer different questions in different languages, to learn speak fluently, to discuss different problems. My dream is speak English like a native speaker.

Submitted by diego_s on Mon, 23/05/2022 - 11:43

Not so often. I do not like meeting new people, I am kind of an introvert.

Submitted by khaled67 on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 22:09

I meet new people in different time in different places

Submitted by Hoahoa on Sun, 01/05/2022 - 09:21

Yes I am, we have a lot of social network pages, so people can meet new people easily

Submitted by trongbumchiu on Wed, 30/03/2022 - 23:35

I meet new people once month. My Business unit normally has newbies every month, and we have buddy activities for welcome new comer.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Thu, 24/03/2022 - 16:32

I meet new people in different time in different places.

Submitted by VanMinh on Tue, 08/03/2022 - 11:54

I not often meet new people because I just go to school and at home day by day. I really like to meet new people and have a lot of friends, so I have to learn English and traveling to other countries and meet new people . I hope to have many international friends in the world.

Submitted by Bmorales on Mon, 31/01/2022 - 13:32

I meet new people every day for my job, I like meet many people.

Submitted by jmajo on Thu, 27/01/2022 - 17:02

I meet new people not to many often nowadays, I meet people at birthdays parties of friends and work reunions. When I was younger I used to meet people very often.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by zehrizer on Sat, 18/12/2021 - 09:49

How often do you meet new people?

it depends . if there is a change in my life like move or new job ı probably meet more new people.

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 14/12/2021 - 14:18

I often see new people in my job, my gym and in the community.

Submitted by hoai on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 02:20

I rarely meet new people, because I stay at home. Now I am learning English before I go to work. Actually, I like meeting new people, I like to go around the earth, travel anyplace. So, I have to fluency in english

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 20:09

I meet new people every week in hiking activity

Submitted by ANOUAR on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 11:00

In the past, i used to know and meet alot of people, but when I moved to another city I become more isolated and I disconnected from the outside world, but I will be back soon!

Submitted by John Nguyen on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 03:20

Not sure, I like old relationships, so I rarely meet new people

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Sat, 06/11/2021 - 14:53

sometimes, but not now because covid-19, i can't go out to meet new people. However, i often meet new people on social media.

Submitted by thistangle on Thu, 04/11/2021 - 08:04

Pretty useful audio bits for conversation starters during dinners. Thanks..

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 10:20

I work at a clothing store and I rarely meet new peoples when they come to our shop.

Submitted by vuhoap on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 13:54

I'm an introvert so I don't like to get to know other people. Moreover, my job rarely has to communicate with new people. That's why I don't have the opportunity to meet them.

Submitted by francyscongo on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 13:38

No often, but sometimes I like to meet new people. It's so good when you met family and friends.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 11:23

I like to meet new people, do different things and know different places. I worked for me in this time
Usually I remember everybody when I met.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 24/07/2021 - 15:57

I don't really know many people lately, because we are living a pandemic and we must be isolated and I don't use apps to meet people.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Sat, 10/07/2021 - 14:08

I rarely meet new people.
Profile picture for user PuenteD

Submitted by PuenteD on Tue, 01/06/2021 - 02:00

Really, In the past I knew more people, now with social media, if more difficult, for me... I like to see people and look through to eyes.

Submitted by karinaelizabeth on Wed, 28/04/2021 - 17:32

I don't frequently go out because I have many things to do in my house besides I'm studying so I have to do my homework on time and my daughter's tasks as well.

Submitted by Le Heros on Wed, 14/04/2021 - 18:43

I don't meet new people often but I hope that will be soon with a great meeting.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 13:38

I didn't go anywhere within the Covid-19 period, so I have no chance to meet new people. Now I more frighten to go out. I don't go anywhere, I don't even go to my work since Feb 8 ... I am trying to improve my English skill these days. If I lose my job, I need to have good English to easily get another job.

Submitted by victor.07 on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 16:40

I don't meet new people often, but I think I will soon.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 04:02

In this time, in my country covid's second wave is very dangerous. So I isolated himself in a room. But I active in internet and talk friends. University organize to held online classes. So I take online classes and interact teacher and student.

Submitted by DarwinM on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 04:53

I don't meet new people often because of the pandemic, actually. I used to meet new people at university, but now I'm having just online classes.

Submitted by tvkien on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 03:40

In basically, my country controlled the pandemic for now. So I can go out to work, therefore I can meet new people every day.

Submitted by 7s_mila on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 18:44

The pandemic has changed lives. I meet new people hardly ever. Because I study online and rarely go anywhere.

Submitted by Veronikka on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 01:26

I often meet new people at my job. When I need to evaluate a platform, I work with the provider (local and external) for 2 or 3 months. We organize proofs of concept for all platforms. I really know a lot of people on these projects. These projects are usually every 6 months.

Submitted by SaraMessa on Thu, 25/03/2021 - 14:48

Now I don't meet new people because in Italy for Covid's situation we can't go anywhere.

Submitted by Tomas Nabil on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 17:50

Every week because my work in company

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 02:43

I meet new people not often, but it is so interesting for me, though, we visit sauna every month and my friend Vladimir invite new people.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Thu, 18/03/2021 - 04:33

I hardly meet new people these days due to the pandemic. before that, I met new people several times in a month. I really miss that days. meeting new people is fun and sometimes it change the life more interesting.

Submitted by Anonimusezio on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 19:07

This assignament, is a good task for the Pre-A1 level students.
Profile picture for user mirtha

Submitted by mirtha on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 20:12

Usually, when I go out with my daughter I meet new people, others parents for sure.