Keeping a conversation going

In this video, Noelia and Bob talk about Spain. Listen to the language they use for keeping a conversation going and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you want to keep a conversation going? Listen out for useful language for keeping a conversation going. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Hi, Bob!

Bob: Oh, morning, Noelia.

Noelia: So, what's new?

Bob: New, hmm, let me think. Hmm … Nothing much. Oh, hang on. My dog Bertie had his 14th birthday on Monday!

Noelia: Oh, he's getting old then?

Bob: I guess so … but not as old as his owner.

Noelia: Haha … er, anyway …

Bob: How about you, Noelia? How's it going?

Noelia: Great, actually. Yeah … all good.

Bob: By the way, I wanted to ask you, where in Spain are you from?

Noelia: I'm from Santander.

Bob: Oh, lovely. Wonderful to grow up near the sea.

Noelia: Yeah, it was perfect. Ah, I miss the sea.

Bob: I know what you mean. I used to live in Spain and I absolutely loved it.

Noelia: Really? I didn't know that, Bob!

Bob: Yeah, I had a little bar on the Costa Brava.

Noelia: Wow! So do you speak Spanish then?

Bob: Oh, not much. Ah, those were the days! Excuse me. Perdona, Noelia. Tengo que irme. Me necesitan en el segundo piso. ¡Hasta pronto! [Excuse me, Noelia. I've got to go. They need me on the second floor. See you soon!]

Noelia: Wow!

Ana: Hello again! Wow! Bob is full of surprises. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for keeping a conversation going? Listen to me and then repeat.

So, what's new?

Let me think ...

Nothing much.

Anyway …

How about you, Noelia?

How's it going?

By the way, I wanted to ask you ...

I know what you mean.

Really? I didn't know that!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to keep a conversation going in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by farhadwahaj on Sun, 11/09/2022 - 07:28

I have never lived near the sea, I am living in the country surrounded by mountains on all sides. I would love to spend some time with my loved ones near the sea and would enjoy the noise and waves of the sea.

Submitted by Estefanilore on Fri, 02/09/2022 - 15:02

No, I don't, but I am not far away in a car.

Submitted by ikrabilgee on Sun, 21/08/2022 - 12:27

until 2 years ago i was living near the sea and that was wonderfull. i miss there:/

Submitted by Nandar Su Hlaing on Thu, 11/08/2022 - 13:33

No, I don't live near the sea. But I love the sea, I am always dreaming to go to sea. I have been there for many times but I love to go again there. I love seeing the sea through the hotel room. And I also love to walk without slipper on the beach. I love going there any weather. It is rain or hot or snowy , I would like to go there.

Submitted by ivanricardo07 on Mon, 08/08/2022 - 00:42

Yes, I live near the sea. All my life have been living in Cartagena-Colombia, located on the Caribbean coast. We have got some amazing beaches here.

Submitted by marwan297 on Sat, 30/07/2022 - 16:28

I don't live near the sea but I'm from Egypt and we are overlooking two seas, the white one and the red one. I prefer the white sea as its water aren't so calm as the red sea.

Submitted by -Villalobos on Wed, 27/07/2022 - 23:18

No, I didn't live around the sea

Submitted by Weena pineda on Mon, 25/07/2022 - 17:58

I used to live near the sea but right now I move.

Submitted by meknini on Sat, 16/07/2022 - 09:23

Not as near as I wish. It's a 20-minute drive to get to the nearest beach although on the weekends it might take slightly longer.

Submitted by CrystalAeint on Wed, 13/07/2022 - 04:06

i don't live near the sea, my country is near the sea but the city i live is far from the sea but i sometime go for a week holidays with my family to the beach. I going to work hard when i grow up and i going to let my family live near the beach or sea.

Submitted by badboyzz on Sun, 03/07/2022 - 13:28

I am living outside the sea.because my town has one sea.This sea so far away to town but I love Karataş sea.When I go to the Karataş I feel so relaxed and comfortable.

Submitted by ACGC on Sun, 26/06/2022 - 02:29

Actually I used to live in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, but I had to move to Culiacan for work and its very sad because this city isnt near the sea. Mazatlán is very near the sea and I miss it. I love to walk around the malecon, its a relaxing and beautiful place with amazing views specially at sunset. Really Im not a beach person, but I enjoy going to sit at the beach and have a good and relaxing time.

Submitted by Selinay. on Sat, 18/06/2022 - 17:28

I have lived in Izmir which is in Aegean Sea for five years. I came to Izmir for university. And I fall in love this city. Before I came here, I lived in a continental climate. I decided to i am crazy about live near the sea.

Submitted by EMF_12 on Thu, 16/06/2022 - 17:43

Answering the discussion question, I don't live near the sea. However, my aunt has a beach house on Mollendo (a place on Peru's coast), and all the summers (including midyear holidays and every time we can go), my family goes there and enjoys the view of the sea and landscape.

Submitted by AngDor on Fri, 10/06/2022 - 03:17

sadly no, I don't live near the sea, although I think I'll like the idea of it

Submitted by Yamen.G on Fri, 27/05/2022 - 14:10

I miss my family, I actually miss the people in my country, they are very kind.

Submitted by Van wong on Mon, 23/05/2022 - 07:42

Yes, when I was young. I lived close to the sea. It is picturesque, peaceful, and breezy. I always love spending time alone in nature. it can reduce my physical and mental stress.

Submitted by venus kim on Tue, 10/05/2022 - 15:13

No, I was born in business capital of my country. So, there is no sea or beach near me only tall and numerous apartments and shopping centres.

Submitted by Camila Medina on Sun, 08/05/2022 - 21:11

No, I don't live near the sea, I'm from Santiago, Chile, but the sea is to 1 hour in a car travel and I go there once or twice at the year.

Submitted by cams on Tue, 19/04/2022 - 03:40

no, unfortunally. i used to live near a river, actually, it was pretty amazing to me

Submitted by qwertyzxcwasd1234 on Fri, 15/04/2022 - 15:24

I've never lived near the sea, but I would probably like to live that way. The sea, the beach, the sand, etc. - that's what I love.

Submitted by Fabiano on Wed, 30/03/2022 - 16:36

Yes, I love the sea because when I was young my family had an apartment near the sea. All my vacations I went to apartment on the beach, it was perfect

Profile picture for user Silvia Lago

Submitted by Silvia Lago on Sat, 26/02/2022 - 01:14

I don't live near the sea, but I would like to. My dream is to live close to the sea, in contact with nature, in a beautiful house all decorated and sustainable (with solar energy, garbage recycling, vegetable garden and own energy generation).

Submitted by younes01 on Tue, 01/02/2022 - 10:03

when I was a kid I used to live near the sea, it were lovely days and I miss them too much.

Submitted by kimalex123 on Mon, 24/01/2022 - 12:20

Well, I'm currently living in Myanmar, Yangon city. To be honest, I do not live near the sea because many apartments are taken place around the city in Yangon. So, a lot of people go to the countryside if they want t get the seaside view.

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Mon, 17/01/2022 - 00:56

I live in the center region of Colombia, in a city called Villavicencio, we are far away from the coast but we've got a lot of rivers.

Submitted by hichem202008 on Sun, 12/12/2021 - 13:25

Yes i do , i love living there ,what a beautiful place especially in summer , new fresh air and quiet place

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 01/12/2021 - 16:39

No, I'm not live in near the sea. I live in a city near a river this river is very dirty.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Wed, 24/11/2021 - 10:54

Yes I do, and I like the sea beacuase it has a fresh air on it.

Submitted by ElzbietaEla on Mon, 01/11/2021 - 18:34

During my vacation, I lived by the sea

Oh, What a pity!!! I live near the see. there's a wonderful landscape!

Submitted by Starting on Sat, 02/10/2021 - 09:00

I wanted to live near the sea, it may be a pieceful life

Submitted by KarenAvdalyan on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 11:27

I don't live near the sea but I grew up in an area where there was a beautiful lake, so I also see what they mean.

Submitted by May Nine on Mon, 16/08/2021 - 16:13

No , Never . Because it takes too much time to get there from where I'm living .

Submitted by Genesis Salas on Fri, 13/08/2021 - 06:02

No! But I wouldn't like to live near the sea. Here in Mexico the climate near the sea is to hot. So, I prefer live in the city.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Tue, 27/07/2021 - 18:15

Yes, I did. But the sea here is very cold, frozen.

Submitted by maximumjeff on Sat, 26/06/2021 - 08:50

I used to live by the sea, but it's an old apartment next to a dock which is not as good as one would imagine

Submitted by Sika2803 on Thu, 03/06/2021 - 09:59

No, I don't live near the sea. But I really love it, I hope that I could live there in the future.

Submitted by Arsa on Tue, 27/04/2021 - 02:12

Yes, I live near the sea. It just takes an hour to get there. Actually it was my dream from childhood to live near the sea and fortunately it came to true

Submitted by desouza on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 21:00

yes, I was born in south of turkey Antalya. I grow up near the see then I moved in İstanbul. İstanbul has a great bosphorus and black see marmara see but not like Antalya . I missed my childhood , we always hanged around the beach ,as always my skin was bronze , we played with big waves time of the sunset. what was a perfect years.

Submitted by Sophia00 on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 09:43

No, I don't live near the sea, but I love the sea and like to go on vacation near it.

Submitted by Maylahinahahegehdt on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 11:04

No, I don´t live near the sea, but my family has a camping car, with which we drive every summer holidays to the north sea. We also own a few stand up paddling boards and 30 min from my home away is a small lake, where we can do that in summer.

Submitted by Justus_123 on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 09:46

No, I do not live near the sea but i can drive to a see in the north. On holidays me and my family drive to a hotel on trhe sea and it was so great. The Hotrl has so much things to borrow like a stand up paddeling board. So we went every day to the sea and drove the boards. It was my favorite holiday because I had soooo much fun.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 00:22

No I don't live near the sea. Although I am not too far a drive away.