Agreeing and disagreeing

In this video, Emir and Paul discuss a design for a client. Listen to the language they use for agreeing and disagreeing and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you agree and disagree? Listen out for useful language for agreeing and disagreeing. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Paul: So?

Emir: I'm not convinced by that idea.

Paul: Why?

Emir: Well, this design is just too simple.

Paul: It's not simple, it's minimal. Plus, it's what the client asked for.

Emir: I'm not so sure. Look … Look at these designs here. I think this is the style that the client wants.

Paul: Hmmm … I think I disagree. They said they wanted it clean and minimal.

Emir: These designs are clean and minimal.

Paul: Look, don't get me wrong, Emir. I like them, but I don't think they fit the brief. For example, here, there's just a bit too much going on.

Emir: OK, I see what you mean, but without all the colour, it would look a bit … empty.

Paul: True. OK, how about taking that and that away? So it still looks interesting, but less busy.

Emir: OK … maybe you've got a point there. Actually, that has given me an idea.

Emir: So we remove the blue. I think that creates a nice balance.

Paul: Yeah, yeah. I think you're right. Changing the circles helped too.

Emir: I agree. So we're happy with this now?

Paul: Yes, definitely.

Emir: So it looks like we can agree!

Paul: Occasionally.

Ana: Hello again! I'm pleased that Paul and Emir agreed with each other in the end. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for agreeing and disagreeing? Listen to me and then repeat.

I'm not convinced by that idea.

I'm not so sure.

I think I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, but I don't think they fit.

I see what you mean, but it looks a bit empty.

OK, maybe you've got a point there.

I think you're right.

Yes, definitely.

I agree.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you agree and disagree in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Moana624 on Mon, 26/09/2022 - 16:16

This 's an efficient way to practice,I like it.

Submitted by maride on Sun, 25/09/2022 - 20:18

I can't find the video. Can anyone help, please?

Hi maride,

Sorry to hear about the problem. I have just checked the video, and it is working for me at the moment. It may have been a temporary problem, or the video may be blocked in your area.

Can you see other videos in the Speaking section?

Perhaps you can try using a different computer/device or web browser to see if it works. Good luck with it.

Jonathan

Submitted by Stéphanie_Cer on Sun, 25/09/2022 - 15:20

The latest time that I disagreed was with my son when he asked me for for the second time in the week, to go to a party.

Submitted by Magsut on Thu, 15/09/2022 - 16:07

the lastest time I disagreed is when I talking with my friend

Submitted by Hop_dai_de on Tue, 30/08/2022 - 14:38

um... I think that the conversation is a bit short, can the council make it longer?

Submitted by irving.oli on Fri, 26/08/2022 - 15:14

the las time i dissagred was when i talked to my wife about buy a house, she wants to buy a house and i want to buy an apartment. we talked about the price and the house or apartment´s section.

Submitted by Caroline Forbs on Sat, 13/08/2022 - 23:31

I disagreed with my team work about the title of our reaserch project .
For my point of vew, the title that was suggested seemd like it didn't really match with the concept of the project this is why I proposed to change it. The rest of the team didn't share me the same opinion. So we ended up doing a vote and they won 😅😅

Submitted by Nandar Su Hlaing on Wed, 10/08/2022 - 10:43

When we have disagreement, we are trying to discuss and search the problem and trying to solve the problem. There is not much disagree with my colleagues.

Submitted by Saravalou on Wed, 10/08/2022 - 07:22

I usually get to disagree with my little sister, even if we're 15000 km away (we basically cut the phone while the other is talking). It's normal for us, because she has her pride and she doesn't want to get wrong (me too, I have to admit).
Or, when we talk about a simple idea, she's not convinced and wants to change everything. But, at the end, we always get a point and we finally agree. Always put family first !

Submitted by Luiscarza on Sun, 07/08/2022 - 21:06

In my job, sometimes I disagree with some colleagues. It is normal. And they disagree with me in other situations. But it’s okay.

Submitted by messa.chaima on Tue, 26/07/2022 - 19:36

me and my sister always disagree, when we go outside together or when we have fun, when we want to cook or when we discuss about somthing; she never have got my point.

Submitted by rockerangela on Tue, 19/07/2022 - 11:26

The last time when I disagreed with someone was yesterday. I wanted to eat pasta with cheese and my mother decided to cook beans with tomato...

Submitted by mo2men144 on Mon, 18/07/2022 - 19:26

I think it happens all the time with me and my family on discussing every thing in sports , in politics and in our work .

Submitted by Alaa hussin on Sun, 17/07/2022 - 12:03

In reply to by alaa_lola

Few days ago, me and my friend are disageed about the outfit that we are going to select for the prom day, i agreed about the dark purple color but she selected the very brighty mint green color, i think it is not getting fit, and i am not convinced by that color, but at the end we got the point and we agreed with bright purple color

Submitted by Lily-Rosie on Fri, 08/07/2022 - 15:52

It was about two days ago that I disagree with my brother in choosing what to eat as snacks. He said that he'd eat potato crisps though we already planned to go outside and buy sth, not crisps. So, I was not convinced by that idea. Finally, we chose to order fried chicken and maybe we'd got a point there.

Submitted by alexiamontes2004 on Fri, 01/07/2022 - 01:32

When was the last time you disagreed with someone?

It was a few days ago when I did not agree with my cousin about the criticism of a book that we read together since she had different opinions about it than mine.

Submitted by marinacaldas on Wed, 29/06/2022 - 20:14

Last night, I was talking to my friend about a project and he was telling me his ideas. Unfortunately, we where thinking different about the same thing, so we have to discuss and come to a conclusion. At the end of the discussion, we agreed with each other.

Submitted by khalid muhammed on Mon, 27/06/2022 - 20:27

Yesterday I disagreed with my teammate about what design of a sprocket is suitable for our car project, he said we have to use 12 teeth sprocket and I see it better to be 14 teeth after we discussed it a long time and tried to prove our opinions mathematically, we asked our team leader to give us his point of view and he said we should give him time to think and will us his opinion today, we are still waiting.

Submitted by meg11 on Mon, 27/06/2022 - 09:13

i disagree usually with may home mate, we are friends ma we have different opinion and so we discuss everything often but our comparisons are always constructive and we never argue

Submitted by lufegaba on Sun, 26/06/2022 - 11:25

I disagree on something everyday with muy colleagues. Unfortunately it's not possible to fix our dissapointments as easy as in that video. Many often one Chief is needed to take a decission.

Submitted by May Myoe Su Khaing on Sun, 26/06/2022 - 11:14

Thank you very much.

Submitted by iam_eam on Tue, 07/06/2022 - 11:50

Last night i disagreed with my friend, He wanted to get today off from the gym workout without any reason, just because He doesn't like leg day :D
But I convenced him to go and take tomorrow off insteed of today because it's our rest day anyway :D

Submitted by redragons0 on Wed, 01/06/2022 - 12:49

When I went to the store yesterday, I disagreed with the employee as she was persuading me to buy a white shoe. However, I wanted to buy a black shoe.

Submitted by Estefanilore on Sun, 29/05/2022 - 10:47

I disagree with my husband all the time 😃 but it is funny, I love him so much.

Submitted by EMF_12 on Thu, 26/05/2022 - 18:04

The last time I disagreed with someone was two weeks ago when my mum yelled at me at midnight because she thought I have her phone without her permission and obviously, I knew that I didn't have it. It passed five minutes when I found it in her bedroom. The only good thing from that experience was that she bought me a prize shaped like an apology.

Submitted by Yamen.G on Wed, 25/05/2022 - 13:14

Very useful, thank you.

Submitted by Maria_Krasovskaya on Tue, 24/05/2022 - 13:21

Last time I disagreed with my boyfriend. But now I don't even remember why we had an argument)

Submitted by tb.alharbi on Sun, 22/05/2022 - 17:58

Previously i disagreed with many people but now i just changed how i think and now i do agree with many people

Submitted by samitavaz on Mon, 09/05/2022 - 22:02

I disagree with someone everyday. Mainly in the work, when people do some activities wihtout references or researches.

Submitted by AFiacco on Sun, 08/05/2022 - 12:11

The last time I disagreed with someone was yesterday, I was talking to my friend Marco about traffic and cars, I states that building more roads brings more pollution, I saw his point but I disagreed about that. I said that the habits of people make the difference

I'm sorry I didn't get you clearly. what do mean by (I states) in " I states that building more roads brings more pollution, I saw his point but..." and how come you see YOUR FRIEND point ad yet YOU state the POINT??

Submitted by nkvy on Mon, 25/04/2022 - 07:34

The last time I disagreed with my friend was when he drank beer and he wanted to pick me up home. It make me so scared, then I still went home safely by another friend.

Hi everyone
I disagreed with my husband becouse he dont like the color of the bedrom its to dark , then , he convencing me to keep rigth in this color.,

Submitted by RubiJJ on Tue, 29/03/2022 - 02:35

Hello everyone!

Last weekend i disagreed with my boyfriend about the place we were having lunch. He wanted a hamburger and i was craving for sushi.
He said it was his turn to pick a place. So we ended up eating, yes, sushi!!

Submitted by Josue Hernandez on Wed, 23/02/2022 - 03:42

The last time that I was desagree with another people was around along time ago, and was with my father he said me that my favorite club of futbol will not champion that campain, but fortunately my team (Cruz Azul) after 23 years were Champion of the tournament again.

Submitted by Khandaa_14 on Thu, 10/02/2022 - 15:31

a few moments ago I totally disagreed with my mother. She said to me; you don't rush to get married because you are young and you have to learn so many things about the world and also achieve your dream. Firstly I am convinced of my mother's opinion but I really want to recognize some of the people who like me.

Hello Khandaa,
I disagree with your mother's opinion. Getting married at a young age is not a bad idea, especially when you choose a good person to live with and with who you can share life and responsibilities. Marriage will not stop you to realise your dreams and will not affect your career if you know how to separate common life and work!
However, I think having kids at a young age is not a good idea, we should be mature enough to raise kids, make them happy, and take care of them as much as we can :)

Submitted by nistornicolae96 on Fri, 04/02/2022 - 12:42

I think I find a little bit difficult to disagree with someone. Not everyone can be polite, understandable and could arguing on some topic. I always need to find the best way to say what I want to say, without being aggressive. And more often I finish giving the right to the other.

Submitted by Efimova on Wed, 02/02/2022 - 17:03

The last time i was disagreed with someone was four days ago. I was not convinced by my narratives idea to how we should spend the rest of the day. She wanted to go to shopping and then take a short trip to the sea. She had some good arguments and i started to think that she has got a good point there. I said to her that she was definitely right. Finally we were occasionally agree with each other.

Submitted by aza on Wed, 02/02/2022 - 10:19

Yesterday evening I was disagree with my daughter, because she is lezy and each time she have to clean up the table, it seems to be involving in a epic movie.
Adolescence is a strange time, during wich is necessary to discuss for evolving....but it's hard for the parents.

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Tue, 01/02/2022 - 15:29

I disagree with my best friend because they always make fast decisions without searching for things. And I'm not satisfied with their decision. I'm always deciding my way. I'm always doing valuable things.

Submitted by younes01 on Tue, 25/01/2022 - 09:31

the last time I faced a situation when I have to agree or disagree is yesterday when our cat got out from home without our permission and got back in the evening and we got on in a discussion for punished the cat or not.
my dad said the cat shouldn't be punished but I disagreed with him because I agreed with my mum wich thought we should punish it.

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Sat, 15/01/2022 - 22:04

The last time I disagreed with someone was when my best friend and I were talking about what the best soccer player is. My best friend said that Lionel Messi is "the real goat" but in my opinion Cristiano Ronaldo is a little bit better than Messi. At the end we agree that everyone has is own likes and preferences.

Submitted by Gizmoist on Wed, 05/01/2022 - 17:30

After having a baby, my spouse and I often discuss the issues related to our son. For example, my husband always wants him to take to the park even snowy days or he doesn't want to change my son's clothes even he is so sweaty. In these moments, we always argue and I often disagree with him.