Finding the library

Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Preparation

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Task 1

Task 2

Average: 4.3 (121 votes)

Submitted by pikanov on Thu, 12/10/2023 - 03:00

Since I am of school age, I already love the library, not the school library but the public library, because there are many kinds of books, from learning books to mystery novels. When I am being a mother, on our weekdays or holiday, I take my kids out to the library, and surprisingly, they love reading and smells of books too.

Submitted by Rodolpho DVG on Wed, 11/10/2023 - 10:54

In my college time, I went a lot to the university library to borrow books.

Submitted by ALNABHAN on Wed, 04/10/2023 - 20:29

Yes, I have a local library close my house, but I have not been to the library in two years.

Submitted by Mleko on Wed, 04/10/2023 - 18:30

Yes, in my village is library but I was there maybe 15 years ago. Since then I prefer to buy the book and since one year I buy book on the amazon site because I switched on Kindle reader. I can recommend this tool for any English learners :).

Submitted by PEKO on Wed, 27/09/2023 - 22:01

Yes, there is a local library near to my home. I go to the library two times a week. I usually read books and newspaper at library.

Profile picture for user makar magadanov

Submitted by makar magadanov on Sun, 17/09/2023 - 15:34

Hello, i live in istanbul, ı have a local library here. it changes that how often i go to there. i got to there to stady my thesis. but if i have some tasks about my work i do them

Submitted by DeniseFlor on Fri, 08/09/2023 - 01:15

Yes, there are a big library near the Main Square. Here, you can find old books and historical documents.

Submitted by nuranazer23 on Tue, 29/08/2023 - 19:24

Yes, I have many local libraries close my home. İt is very good!🤩

Submitted by Toan3002 on Mon, 28/08/2023 - 10:25

In my living area, there is no local library, but at my campus university, we have a big library for students. Sometimes I come to the library to learn some subjects before starting class or just simply listen to music or break time!!

Submitted by Titite on Mon, 21/08/2023 - 08:14

Yes, I have a local library close to my house. I go to the library every week. I borrow two or three books. Sometimes there are writers who present their books.