An email from a friend

An email from a friend

Read an email from a friend you haven't heard from for a long time to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Preparation

Reading text

Average: 4 (69 votes)
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Submitted by ubaid332 on Fri, 28/06/2024 - 07:58

What form of communication would you use to tell old friends important news?

Email is a good communication mode but many people do not use it in daily life. After launching social media apps like WhatsApp or Instagram people prefer communication through these apps. I will also prefer to tell important news to my old friends through social media. but sometimes friends change their numbers and cannot connect due to internet problems. so email is best if the internet is not working on their side. when the internet service is available, he can see the message in detail. Another good feature of email is that we can send all the messages in one tone or rhythm which is very useful to inform a friend after a long time.

Submitted by Zaienab on Sun, 16/06/2024 - 16:21

Phone calls for a more personal and immediate connection

Profile picture for user Libra23

Submitted by Libra23 on Mon, 03/06/2024 - 17:40

During my Erasmus in Spain I used to chat with my best friend with WhatsApp; it was very useful and it helped me to inform him about my daily’s news. In particular, I sent him voice messages, because they were/are simpler and quicker to realise than written messages.

Submitted by Ahmed Salem on Mon, 15/04/2024 - 09:18

i would send whats app messages and voice records seem good also.

if we have free time we could make a video call.

Submitted by LuisOm on Fri, 12/04/2024 - 19:47

I frequently use WhatsApp when I chat with friends, and sometimes other social media like Instagram or Facebook for commenting or  reacting to their posts.  Talking about importat news I share I would pick phone calls or even voice WhatsApp messages over the traditional wrtitten  communication.

Profile picture for user mich_cui

Submitted by mich_cui on Thu, 29/02/2024 - 05:57

Usually, I will send a message to an old friend of mine. Currently I am living in UAE so messenger or instagram is our medium of communication. But, if both of us are free then I will call her or do a video call.

Submitted by oisoueuatina on Thu, 15/02/2024 - 15:34

I personally wouldn't use e-mail with my friends, I only use it for work or university purposes. I'd rather just call or text them through whatsapp, since is a really common app in Brasil. I'd prefer meeting them in person, of course, but if we were so distant from each other as the friends in the story, whatsapp would be the solution for me. I also love letters, but it would feel a little bit old lmao plus is really expensive to send letters in Brasil :(

Submitted by Germán Nariño on Thu, 18/01/2024 - 02:33

I loved writing letters, because there is always full emotion. In modern times I prefer WhatsApp, but for something formal I prefer email.

Submitted by LUCIE LE on Tue, 09/01/2024 - 04:07

Of course, I will use Messenger platform to make a phone call for my close friend and tell them everything. I think this is the fast way and convenience.

Submitted by Khristofer on Thu, 28/12/2023 - 02:24

I think I would use social apps like WhatsApp or Instagram. For Instagram, I think I could use the DM or interacting at a post via comments.