Personal pronouns

Level: beginner

We have both subject pronouns and object pronouns:

Subject Object
I me
you you
he him
she her
it it
we us
you you
they them

We use subject pronouns as the subject of a verb:

I like your dress.
You are late.
He is my friend.
It is raining.
She is on holiday.
We live in England.
They come
from London.

Be careful!

English clauses always have a subject.

His father has just retired. > He was a teacher. (NOT Was a teacher.)
I'm waiting for my wife.She is late. (NOT Is late.)

The imperative, which is used for orders, invitations and requests, is an exception:

Stop!
Go away.
Please come to dinner tomorrow.
Play it again, please.

If there is no other subject, we use it or there. We call this a dummy subject.

We use object pronouns as the object of a verb:

Can you help me, please?
I can see you.
She doesn't like him.
I saw her in town today.
We saw them in town yesterday, but they didn't see us.

and after prepositions:

She is waiting for me.
I'll get it for you.
Give it to him.
Why are you looking at her?
Don't take it from us.
I'll speak to them.

Subject and object pronouns 1

MultipleChoice_MTU4MDc=

Subject and object pronouns 2

GapFillTyping_MTU4MDg=

he, she and they

We use he/him to refer to men, and she/her to refer to women. When we are not sure if we are talking about a man or a woman, we use they/them:

This is Jack. He's my brother. I don't think you have met him.
This is Angela. She's my sister. Have you met her before?
You could go to a doctor. They might help you.
Talk to a friend. Ask them to help you.

he, she and they 1

GapFillDragAndDrop_MTU4MDk=

he, she and they 2

GapFillTyping_MTU4MTY

you and they

We use you to talk about people in general, including the speaker and the hearer:

You can buy this book everywhere. = This book is on sale everywhere.
You can't park here. = Parking is not allowed here.

We use they/them to talk about institutions and organisations:

They serve good food here. (they = the restaurant)
Ask them for a cheaper ticket. (them = the airline)

especially the government and the authorities:

They don't let you smoke in here.
They are going to increase taxes.
They are building a new motorway.
They say it’s going to rain tomorrow.

you and they 1

GapFillTyping_MTU4MTc=

you and they 2

GapFillTyping_MTU4MTk=

it

We use it to talk about ourselves:

• on the telephone:

Hello. It's George.

• when other people cannot see us:

It's me. It's Mary. (Mary is knocking on the door.)

We also use it to talk about other people:

• when we point people out for the first time:

Look. It's Paul McCartney.
Who's that? I think it's John's brother.

• when we cannot see someone and we ask them for their name:

Hello. Who is it? (someone answering the phone)
Who is it? (someone about to answer the door)

it

MultipleChoice_MTkxMTI

Submitted by Peter M. on Thu, 26/03/2015 - 20:21

In reply to by kishoreo

Hi kishoreo,

You can see the correct answers by clicking 'Finish' - have you tried this? We can explain any particular questions which are confusing for you, but not the whole activity! Please let us know if any particular questions are confusing for you, and we'll be happy to try to help.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Anoma Muthukumari on Wed, 25/03/2015 - 06:50

Hello The Learn English Team I would like to learn English as my second language. And I think you can help me improve my knowledge of English through your lessons.I like to cover my knowledge of English Grammar,Spoken English and Writing skill. Please guide me. Thank you so much. Anoma

Submitted by Blacksad2015 on Mon, 23/03/2015 - 17:44

From Vietnam for the previous learner, from France for me, I'm a new learner and I see that I will travel worldwide with you. I'm ready for improving my English!

Submitted by duonganhnguyen on Mon, 23/03/2015 - 04:13

Hi. I'm student. I am a new user on this page. I'm from VietNam. Study English with me is quiet difficult. And I want learn better, but i'm don't know start from what! I very like this page. Can you help me?

Hello duonganhnguyen,

Welcome to LearnEnglish - we're glad you found us! There is some advice on how to use LearnEnglish on our Help page. Please take a look and then let us know if you have any questions.

Submitted by punitranjan on Wed, 18/03/2015 - 13:26

Hello Sir/Ma'am I am a new user on this page and would like to share my problem with you. My problem is i am good at written English but when it comes to Spoken English i fail to express myself. What is the underlying problem? Which is that area i need to focus on? I request you advice me on my weaknesses. Kind Regards Punit

Hi punitranjan,

On our Help page you can find some practical ideas to help you with this. Please give them a try, and let us know how you get on!

Best regards,

Submitted by nikko92 on Fri, 13/03/2015 - 02:26

Hello! The LearnEnglish Team I'm so happy discovered it. I want to learn and improve more my english and grammar. Can you tell what is the first thing I should learn? Because every time I read about the grammar. I don't know where am I going to start. Can you help me with this? Please guide me where to start. Thank you very much LearnEnglish Team! :) Nikko NewBee

Hello Nikko92,

There is one starting point for all learners; you should start with whatever most interests or challenges you. In fact we are often asked similar questions to this and we discuss it directly on our Help page. Please take a look at the advice there - I'm sure it will help you.

Best wishes,

Submitted by limycorp on Tue, 10/03/2015 - 15:30

Hello Every learner. I want to known how many tence in EL?

Submitted by ahmed wagdy soliman on Tue, 10/03/2015 - 13:48

firstly; thank you for your efforts to learn or improve our English language secondly , I have a big problem my accent is not well and when I do interview in any multi national company they are rejecting me and now I don't have any way to improve my listening and my accent . who can help me in this problem please !!!

Hello ahmed,

You're very welcome! In the How can I improve my speaking? section on our Help page you can find some practical advice on how to improve your pronunciation and fluency, and this same work will also help you improve your listening comprehension. Imitate the pronunciation of the recordings as best you can, and repeat your best pronunciation of words and phrases until they feel more comfortable in your mouth.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Submitted by Yahya94 on Mon, 09/03/2015 - 20:12

Hello learners, I have a question concerning the first exercise, for the sentences below, I didn’t understand why we are using they and them instead singular pronouns. Have you talked to a lawyer? they can tell you your rights . I wanted to talk to someone in charge and tell them how I felt . Can someone explain me this point please?

Hello Yahya94,

As is explained above, 'When we are not sure if we are talking about a man or a woman we use they/them'. Since 'lawyer' and 'someone' can refer to either a man or woman, 'they/them' can be used when we don't know whether that person is a man or woman.

Best regards,

Submitted by Memon on Sat, 07/03/2015 - 07:54

Hi Kirk I want to speak English very fast in few day or 1 month, because time is too short. Regards Memon

Submitted by Kirk on Mon, 09/03/2015 - 07:05

In reply to by Memon

Hi Memon,

I'd refer you to the advice on our Help page on how to use LearnEnglish to improve your speaking. It takes most people longer than a few days or a month to learn to speak English quickly, but the good news is that, in general, the more you practise, the more you learn.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Submitted by lakshmi.a.d on Fri, 06/03/2015 - 07:32

1st Question answer (WE) 5th Question answer(He) 6th Question answer(I) 7th Question answer(They) 12th Question answer(They)

Hello lakshmi.a.d,

If you want to check to see how you did then click 'Check answers'. If you want to see the correct answers then click 'Finish'.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Vaad on Thu, 05/03/2015 - 11:17

Hi could anyone tell me please how can I open Flash required? And also i am looking for questions and answer as well. Many thanks

Hello Vaad,

Welcome to LearnEnglish! We moderate all comments before they are published, and then we respond to them when we can. Sometimes our responses, like this one, are quite quick, and other times it can take us a day or two to respond. I'm afraid we're too small a team with too much other work to do any more than that.

I'd recommend you download and install the latest version of the Flash player on your device. If you device doesn't support Flash, I'd suggest you search the internet for a solution or try a different device.

Best wishes,

Submitted by GIRLSSLAVE on Fri, 27/02/2015 - 12:18

Hi there, could anyone please tell me the answers to question 1, 5, 6, 7, and 12 ? many thanks BC and may Allah bless you all.

Hello GIRLSSLAVE,

To see the answers to the task please click the 'Finish' button.

Best wishes,

yes, i know Mr peter, but i 'm not sure if my answers were wrong , the check answer told me that they were wrong but i'm not sure. so please help me.

Hello GirlsSlave,

Wait, I'm confused! Did you click on the Finish button (which is different from Check Answers)? The Finish button will show you the correct answers.

If you want us to say whether your answers are correct or not, you will have to tell them to us - we cannot see them unless your write them here in a comment.

Submitted by Jorge Eduardo … on Fri, 27/02/2015 - 04:37

hi everyone ! i start study in this site!

Submitted by Abshir Mohamud Adam on Wed, 25/02/2015 - 12:35

Submitted by igbal on Wed, 25/02/2015 - 08:23

That is very helpfull.I really interested.

Submitted by BELLA.99. on Fri, 20/02/2015 - 16:01

.Personal pronouns are the easiest thing to learn in English:-D BELLA.99.

Submitted by Asif Salik on Wed, 18/02/2015 - 11:21

i enjoy learning English her I request from all of you to help me and sport me to make my English better and better. Thanks in Advance

Submitted by ammu1986 on Sat, 07/02/2015 - 18:56

Dear sir Please explain me Which sentence is ccorrect 1)Raja give me a gift. 2)Raja give to me a gift.

Submitted by Peter M. on Sat, 14/02/2015 - 18:27

In reply to by ammu1986

Hello ammu1986,

Neither sentence is grammatically correct! You need to use the third-person form 'gives' (if this is something which happens frequently) or the past form 'gave' (if it happened one time). Correct forms would be:

Raja gave me a gift.

Raja gave a gift to me.

Best wishes,

Submitted by miltoncuero on Mon, 02/02/2015 - 19:59

Hi there. I understood that Personal Pronouns should be written starting with a capital letter. After period sign that is totally correct, but in the middle of a sentence it seems, after this exercise, that is a mistake. Could you please tell me if there is any grammar rule about this. Thanks Milton

Submitted by Peter M. on Tue, 03/02/2015 - 07:55

In reply to by miltoncuero

Hello Milton,

We don't use capital letters for pronouns of any kind unless they are at the start of a sentence. Some languages do have punctuation like this, but not English.

Best wishes,

Submitted by habibullah on Mon, 02/02/2015 - 09:37

In reply to by mohamed_gohar

Hi my mane is Habibullah i am from Afghanistan and i born in since 1990 and have a good job in my country,Afghanistan is a war country in this since of the time but i like it with all peoples,

Submitted by Tipu Javed on Wed, 14/01/2015 - 16:27

I have completed my first exercise of pronouns. I got 100% and I hope that I will continue in the same way.

Submitted by Ana Fuzzo on Tue, 06/01/2015 - 00:47

can not speak or read English and this method is very difficult for me. I would like to start learning the inicio.thanks

Hello Ana Fuzzo,

I would recommend you start with Elementary Podcasts Series Three. This should be a good level for you. Remember that you can use the transcript to help you follow as you listen. Work through the episodes, and remember that you can use the transcript to help you, or to read and listen at the same time after you have done the exercises.

Be sure to take some time to explore the site. Use the links at the top of the page to go to different sections and see what kinds of materials are available. Get a feel for the level of difficulty of different sections so you can see what will be most useful to you at the moment.

As you work, try to keep a vocabulary notebook where you can store new words and phrases that you find and learn. Organise it by topic ('work', 'family', 'food' etc) and add words and phrases to it as you go through the material. Test yourself regularly to see if you remember the words.

Finally, try to find time to practise English during your regular day. Perhaps you have a friend who is also learning English, with whom you can practise speaking, or perhaps you can practise by yourself, just speaking English when you are alone at home or at work. This kind of practice is great for developing fluency in speaking, so that when you need to use English in the 'real' world you are ready and confident.

I hope those suggestions are helpful.

Best wishes,

Hello Peter, I like and am taking the suggestion on organise new words by work, family, places, etc. Metodolgy issues overwhelm me and I find truly helpful your note :-) Thanks, William

Submitted by knk_83 on Sat, 03/01/2015 - 13:49

Hi Sir, Today I have practiced the pronoun session . Is my sentence is correct? I am little bit confusing about Have. Where to use Have & Has

Hello knk_83,

Your sentence is grammatically correct, though I'd suggest you look up 'session' in the dictionary - there's a handy search box on the lower right side of this page.

'has' is used with the subjects 'he', 'she' and 'it', and 'have' is used with all other subjects. Note that 'have' is also the infinitive form, and that 'have' is also used as an auxiliary verb in perfect tenses, e.g. the present perfect.

Best wishes,