Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
- It's common to start with a reason for writing and refer to how long it's been since you saw or wrote to each other.
- Use phrasal verbs (e.g. going on, been up to) and informal expressions (e.g. drop you a line, same old, same old) to give it a friendly, informal tone.
- Use emoticons or multiple exclamation marks (!!!) or question marks (???) to add extra excitement and feeling. You can also use capital letters for emphasis (How ARE you? GREAT news!!).
- Before signing off you can finish with closing phrases like Hope all's well! / Looking forward to seeing you! / Best of luck with ... !
- Sign off with Lots of love for close friends or family or Take care if you are not so close.