Holi is sometimes called the festival of colours. Find out more about this very special springtime festival in this article.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the article and do the exercise.

What is Holi and why is it celebrated?

Holi is an ancient Hindu festival that originated in India and Nepal and is now celebrated in many places around the world. The date changes each year depending on the full moon, but it is held some time between the end of February and the middle of March, and lasts a night and a day. It also represents the arrival of spring and the victory of good over evil. An important part of the celebration is forgiving anyone who has upset you and repairing any broken relationships. Holi is sometimes called the festival of colours.

What happens on Holika Dahan?

The festivities start the night before Holi, which is called Holika Dahan. People build bonfires which represent good winning over evil and the end of winter. They perform rituals around the fire. In ancient stories, Holika was a devil whom the God Vishnu destroyed through fire. People start collecting wood for the bonfires several days before so that they can build really big fires.

What happens on Rangwali Holi?

The next day is called Rangwali Holi. In the morning everyone goes into the streets and people throw coloured powders and water at each other. Some people use water guns and water balloons. After a few hours everyone is soaking wet and covered in a rainbow of different colours. Many people prepare themselves by putting oil on their skin and hair to make it easier to remove the colour afterwards. In the evening people put on clean clothes, go and visit their friends and family and exchange sweets and other delicious food.

Why do people throw colours?

Some people say that the colours are a way of celebrating the many colours of the flowers in springtime. But in the area around Mathura and Vrindavan the people also tell a story about the god Krishna. Krishna was passionately in love with a girl called Radha but he was worried that she would not love him because their skins were different colours. He didn't need to worry because Radha let him paint her face the same colour as his to show that she loved him. It is said that lovers nowadays often paint their faces the same colour during Holi to remember this story.

There is a spirit of togetherness and equality during the Holi festival as people from all backgrounds and walks of life celebrate and have fun together.

Do you need to improve your English?
Whether you need better English to travel or meet new people, our online English courses will give you real practice. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.

Worksheet75.36 Ko

Soumis par jyoti Chaudhary le mar 26/04/2022 - 14:59

Permalien

Have you ever celebrated Holi?
when I was a child. I enjoyed too much with my family and friends. I never play Holi for 5 to 6year because of personal issues. I hate the color, I'm allergic to color and I don't like to play this whole festival.

Soumis par Juan_Maria le jeu 14/04/2022 - 21:57

Permalien

This article "Holi" shows information about the Holi festival and the traditions that go with it.
I find this article interesting because in my opinion it's very helpful for a lot of people. It is also out-standing, because It is not loaded with information, but shows the key things that everyone who plans on attending this festival or simply just wants to get informed about it, should know and understand. I like the way it is written because it informs people about the culture and it emphasizes the importance of this festival for Indians and Nepalis and their society.
Overall, I would recommend this article to people because it's very genuine and helpful.

Soumis par T.A le dim 13/03/2022 - 08:53

Permalien

I haven't had a chance to join in a Holi festival. It's quite a cultural event of Hindus, a meaningful occasion let people stay closer, share happiness and forgiveness. Hope to join in a Holi festival one time in life

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le ven 11/03/2022 - 22:35

Permalien

No, I never celebrate Holi, even for first time I heard in Indian culture have like this day. In Bulgaria we have the same "Forgiveness Day" it been last Saturday, we celebrate with big fire and younger people want forgiveness from older one. We eat egg and children should gram with mouth and some of older people keep upper tied with red thread and we eat halva. But we don`t have colouring show..

Soumis par Thinthinmyoe le sam 12/06/2021 - 10:16

Permalien
I have never celebrated Holi festival.But, l have seen these interesting pictures on the net.

Soumis par Mai Khin Nway Shein le sam 15/05/2021 - 15:13

Permalien
I never celebrated Holi. I have one question. I really don't know how to calculate a day a night.

Soumis par Min Htet Kaung le dim 28/03/2021 - 20:28

Permalien
No, I have never celebrated Holi. But in some Bollywood films, I have seen this festival and I didn't know why they use coloured powders. One fact I really want to know is which materials these powders are made of and whether these powder can cause lung cancer.
Profile picture for user danisep

Soumis par danisep le dim 14/02/2021 - 15:59

Permalien
I didn't know it, sounds like a very funny celebration, now I know where comes the idea to Color run, by the way, there are a lot of celebrations around the world which happened at the end or season's beginning.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le ven 29/05/2020 - 18:05

Permalien
No. But, i 've had some similar experiences of the festival scenario.

Soumis par LeNhan le mer 25/03/2020 - 11:48

Permalien
I never have celebrated Holi. I'm interested in this festival. I hope I can join it one day.

Soumis par New_user le mar 10/03/2020 - 09:47

Permalien
Yes, but it's a long time back when I was a child. Later when I grew up I was certainly not able to attend the festivities in my hometown as most of the time I have been out for my studies However, I believe the celebrations for Holi is not supposed to be of the kind where we misuse a lot of water; instead we can play dry Holi too...

Soumis par cittàutopica le mer 26/02/2020 - 15:29

Permalien
I have never celebrated Holi, because I'm Italian and there isn't local foreign community who celebrate this happening in my region. But I see in many Italian regions numerous ritual for celebrating the end of the winter and the advent of the spring.
Sii ,this is amazing festival in india ,also I am from india ,this year is festival will be celebrate on 10 th march 2020,I am very excited

Soumis par parisaach le sam 31/08/2019 - 07:08

Permalien
Holi seems an interesting festival, but I've never be in one of them, and I didn't knew anything about it before I read this article. I love to participate in traditional celeberations of people around the world. unfortunately I don't have any enthusiast person around to join me to travel in different part of the world or even our country to participate in these festivals.

Soumis par Hich5100 le dim 24/03/2019 - 12:09

Permalien
I never celebrate Holi festival but it looks really exciting. Hopefully one day I will have the privilege to celebrate.

Soumis par gullıstan le ven 15/03/2019 - 20:58

Permalien
Holi festival the first-time ı hear. ıt looks lıke very enjoyably. Indıa very colourful and exotic country. ı hope someday ı will see all of this festivities.