Leaving a message

Listen to someone leaving a message to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Jane: Hello, this is the sales department. Jane Solomon speaking.

Peter: Hello, is Maria Fernandez there, please?

Jane: No, I'm sorry. She's not in the office at the moment. She's on her lunch break.

Peter: Oh. Could you take a message, please? Could you tell her that Peter Griffin called?

Jane: Sure. Could you give me your number?

Peter: It's 0-7-4-6-0 double 9-0-1 double 8.

Jane: Thanks. That's 0-7-4-6-0 2-9-0-1-2-8.

Peter: Sorry, no. It's 0-7-4-6-0 9-9-0-1-8-8.

Jane: 9-9-0-1-8-8.

Peter: Yes. Please ask her to call me back, and tell her it's about the PXO project. I need the new project figures.

Jane: The PXO project. Right. I'll give her your message when she comes back to the office.

Peter: Thank you. In case I'm in a meeting when she calls back, can I give you my email address too?

Jane: Of course.

Peter: Great. It's P-E-T-E-R dot G-R-I-F-F-I-N at F-R-E-S-H dot com.

Jane: Can I read that back to you?

Peter: Sure.

Jane: That's P-E-T-E-R dot G-R-I-F-F-I-N at F-R-E-S-H dot com.

Peter: Yes, that's it.

Jane: OK. I'll tell her you called.

Peter: Thank you. Goodbye.

Jane: Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet112 Ko

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Soumis par LarisaAlp le dim 14/06/2020 - 15:30

Permalien
I never make a phone conversation in English, because my partners don't speak English. But if my foreign students ask me in English on the phone about something (SMS) I answer them in English too. Unfortunately, it happens very seldom.

Soumis par Teresa Chi le sam 13/06/2020 - 13:47

Permalien
I never had a phone conversation in English yet. because i don't think that i have enough vocabulary to express mýelf

Soumis par iisrimadanti20 le ven 12/06/2020 - 23:14

Permalien
I've never make a phone calls in english, because peoples around me not understand that english. but i want to practiced and tried to improve my english skills. ^^

Soumis par Sharif Tayyebi le mer 03/06/2020 - 11:10

Permalien
In this case, I never call to my friends in English, because they don't understand English. I have a brother who is in India, and sometimes I chat with him in English. I should say that it is the main problem of mine that I don't have an English student partner. If there were somebody, I would prefer to call him/her and speak English. Regards, Tayyebi

Soumis par mouna99 le lun 18/05/2020 - 16:16

Permalien
I sometimes do phone calls in English with my friends

Soumis par Fatemeh.Najafzadeh le dim 17/05/2020 - 02:21

Permalien
I’d like to make phone calls in English mostly, but, unfortunately I’m not confident Regarding my English and I think, I won’t have a good conversation In English with other people. That’s why, I occasionally make phone calls for my essential works and I prefer to leave a text instead of phone call.

Soumis par Mann Mann le dim 10/05/2020 - 02:04

Permalien
I have never been made a ph call in English yet. But I wanna make a ph call for practice English.i think it is a must for our listening skill.
Profile picture for user Bignon

Soumis par Bignon le jeu 07/05/2020 - 16:30

Permalien
I have never make phone calls in English yet. I'm scared that my English may not be good enough.

Soumis par Youssef Karfouh le jeu 16/04/2020 - 21:09

Permalien
actually , i've never make a call in english , but i hope to .
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le jeu 09/04/2020 - 21:53

Permalien
I do makes call in English more frequently often.

Soumis par Milena Lucero … le lun 06/04/2020 - 17:29

Permalien
I don't make phone calls in English, in fact, I don´t make calls in any language, I usually write message, but it's a good idea to improve my English skills

Soumis par ademyonet le lun 06/04/2020 - 13:45

Permalien
I don't make calls because what there isn't my office or what there aren't my foreign costumers, too. In this case I just call my friends and relatives.

Soumis par Eswar le mer 18/03/2020 - 15:15

Permalien
Till now i didn't even call a my client .So i thought that i would like to call someone or my client to Improve project skills & learning skills etc.

Soumis par jason2295 le jeu 12/03/2020 - 20:05

Permalien
I call my clients a day per month, I usually do it at the end of the month.

Soumis par shahhoseini le lun 27/01/2020 - 14:44

Permalien
Unfortunately, I have never called anyone in English so far and no one has phoned me.

Soumis par MaryaSun le lun 27/01/2020 - 14:28

Permalien
I don't do very often english call, because i am italian and i most of my friends are italian. But i have some foreign friends. I usually send them messages..and i have never called them, but sometimes i send them vocal messages. So i can improve my english language.

Soumis par Dariusz le lun 20/01/2020 - 01:40

Permalien
I don't make phone calls in English if it doesn't necessary, because I don't feel confident about speak english. If I good remember I had one phone call in English, it was informal, I talked with my friend.

Soumis par john098 le sam 18/01/2020 - 05:47

Permalien
hmm .. i'm a Vietnamese. So i haven't got so much foreign friends.... but Sometime i tried to make some friends on facebook... and it went quite well... from that, every day i could improve my English skills ...

Soumis par Fredandy le ven 03/01/2020 - 10:00

Permalien
Oh I can't make fone calls because i leave in a french country. And I dont have english friends or english learner friend to do this activity
Profile picture for user Alina Okt.

Soumis par Alina Okt. le mer 27/11/2019 - 20:14

Permalien
Sometimes, not phone calls but skype. So I practice my speaking English. If you want we can chat too, write to me)
Hello, i'm dydy. I practice english course on this site and i want to improuve my english.so can we be friends?! Thans very much.
Hi Alina. I am from Italy. I am practicing my English here. I wanna improve my speaking and listening skills. If you want, we can contact with you via `---------------`.
Profile picture for user Kirk

Soumis par Kirk le ven 10/01/2020 - 06:19

En réponse à par albert9315

Hello albert9315

It's great that you want to practise your English, but I'm afraid our House rules don't allow you to share the kind of personal information required to contact another user. This is for legal reasons -- sorry for the inconvenience!

All the best

Soumis par f.agadr le mer 13/11/2019 - 13:17

f.agadr I sometimes make phone calls in English

Soumis par lionel le jeu 12/09/2019 - 14:45

Permalien
I often make calls in English when I am on Free4talk. It's so interesting and I can improve my English very much

Soumis par Raqueline Monteiro le ven 06/09/2019 - 15:01

Permalien
I never had this experience of talk in English. I'd like to talk, if anyone wants too, why not speak with a new friend?

Soumis par Fudhol le mer 04/09/2019 - 10:46

Permalien
I have never make a call in English because that is difficult to find someone to speak English in here even when calling.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le dim 25/08/2019 - 18:33

Permalien
I make phone calls in English about twice a month getting a technical support from the manufacture in China .

Soumis par César Árraga le mar 30/07/2019 - 00:27

Permalien
I never make phone calls in English, I only communicate in my native language that is spanish, but since I'm learning english, someday I wish to make phone calls in this language.

Soumis par cittàutopica le sam 15/06/2019 - 16:35

Permalien
I never make phone calls in English, because I don't have any reason to make it.

Soumis par Sarah-njzh le jeu 23/05/2019 - 09:31

Permalien
I also hardly make phone calls in English cause I'm afraid of making mistakes. so I often send email
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Soumis par mtalebi le ven 17/05/2019 - 10:13

Permalien
I have not make a phone call in English yet. I use email most of the time.

Soumis par pacha809 le jeu 02/05/2019 - 09:31

Permalien
I didn't yet make any phone calls in English because I don't speak English fluently enough. I search to often for my words. So my conversation is too chopped up. And especially my skill in listening is very bad. Maybe I woudn't understand my interlocutor.

Soumis par Bayram Ozkaya le mer 24/04/2019 - 12:59

Permalien
I hardly ever make phone calls in English since I can't trust myself well if I make mistakes. So, I prefer to text instead of calling. By the way, thanks for your preparing listening exercises.