An introduction to a lecture

Listen to the introduction of a psychology lecture to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Good afternoon, everyone. Welcome to the first lecture of our new course in Positive Psychology. While some people may associate psychology with looking at what's wrong with us, and at what problems we have, there is much more to psychology than that. Positive psychology, for example, looks at how to help people become happier.

This lecture begins with a question: what makes a happy life?

Now, I'm going to give you one possible answer. A happy life is a life in which you are completely absorbed in what you do. Now, how does this compare with what you and your partner said?

This answer comes from the work of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and the theory of flow. Csikszentmihalyi is a psychologist who has spent much of his professional life on the study of what makes people happy and how we can find happiness.

Csikszentmihalyi suggests the theory that happiness is not caused by external events or things that happen to us. Our perception of these things and how we see these events either makes us happy or sad. In other words, if we want happiness, we have to actively look for it. However, this does not mean that we should always look for happiness! Csikszentmihalyi believed that our happiest moments happen when we are in a state of flow.

The theory of flow can be summarised like this: when we are totally involved in, or focused on, what we are doing, we are in a state of flow.

Csikszentmihalyi got the inspiration for this theory when he noticed how artists worked in a studio. They completely lost track of time, they didn't notice they were hungry or tired, and they could work for hours, even days, without stopping. Anyone I have spoken to who has experienced this state of concentration has said it's difficult to explain. The best way to explain it is that it is like being in a river and the flow of the water carries you away.

For the rest of this lecture, I will explore this theory of flow in more detail. First we will look at Csikszentmihalyi's life, and how it influenced his ideas. Then we will look at the conditions that go with a state of flow. What creates flow, exactly? Finally, we will look at activities that can help us achieve flow in our everyday lives. Will this course make you happy for life? Well, maybe. Maybe.

Right, let's get started. If you look at the next slide …

Worksheet78.89 Ko

Soumis par vuhoap le mer 24/11/2021 - 00:24

Permalien

Yes, I have ever been in a 'state of flow' while programming or watching a movie. My job is programmer so I always program and debug to find bugs. The process of debug leaves me in a state of flow. So I am completely absorbed in it.

Soumis par danielbacelar le mer 03/11/2021 - 21:58

Permalien

Yes, I run four times a week, always alone and without music and other distractions, for that.

Soumis par ceehinh le lun 01/11/2021 - 03:30

Permalien

yes, I have been in a state of flow a load of time. I mean, especially, I have been reading a novel or watching some romantic movies until it has finished so that I have lost track of many things like to-do list, study,... you can see? I waste of time doing something like that and I'm putting on check Facebook, Instagram,... that it makes me distracted

Soumis par Estíbaliz75 le mar 19/10/2021 - 21:39

Permalien

Yes, when I'm reading a novel that I really like so much. I don't realize how long I've been spent to read, I’m able to not stop until I finish it

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le jeu 07/10/2021 - 18:07

Permalien

Yes, I'm forget everything when I reading stories and novels. I totally lose of track and I'm happy to be reading and excited about this.

Soumis par vanhoc le mer 06/10/2021 - 05:31

Soumis par Amer Ha le mar 05/10/2021 - 02:19

Permalien

I have rarely been in state of flow while doing activity.

Soumis par iEdd le mer 07/07/2021 - 18:18

Permalien
Yes, I have. Several times. The main activity is reading, since I love it. Even, reading books in english has become part of my personal routine. Another one is study Physics. It doesn't matter what's hapenning outside, once I find the correct rithym of studying, I'm absrved in what I'm learning and understanding. Finally, the last is when I'm playing an important volleyball match. Sometimes, my team and I heve spent almost five hours in a game, and obviously, we didn't feel the time's flow.

Soumis par GiulianaAndy le mer 23/06/2021 - 19:39

Permalien
Yes, I have. I remember in 2019 when I was studying mathematics (I loved mathematics) I usually go to sleep at 10 pm, but that day I met an exercise which was very difficult, so I was really focused on solving it. I didn't notice the time or the silence in my condo. When I finished to solve that exercise I came to the living room and saw the clock; it was at around 3 am. I was surprised because I was not tired o sleepy.

Soumis par fariba le mer 16/06/2021 - 08:31

Permalien
yes i have been in state of flow several times, when i was painting.

Soumis par Paula Bermúdez… le mer 12/05/2021 - 01:34

Permalien
Yes, of course. I have been in a state of flow when I cook or listen to music, it's incredible and amazing because you enjoy each part of these activities.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le ven 16/04/2021 - 06:20

Permalien
When I'm watching movies in the smartphone then I have totally loss of track and external effects have not seen.

Soumis par Frank Cuello le ven 02/04/2021 - 15:49

Permalien
When I'm playing video games I often lose the track of time. This thing cannot be said when I try to study or learn about something about math.

Soumis par In le dim 28/03/2021 - 06:32

Permalien
Yes, I did. This happens to me when I`m in the present moment. We use to live thinking in the future or in the past, but when we are in the present moment and we left to be absorbed by the flow of that, then is where the magic appears.

Soumis par Leila77 le dim 14/03/2021 - 10:25

Permalien
I found this audio so interesting and I wish I could listen to the rest of the lecture. Yes, I have been in a state of flow while reading an interesting book. Sometimes I can't stop reading until I finish it, even it's really late in the night.

Soumis par mo-tarik le sam 06/03/2021 - 14:01

Permalien
Been in a state of flow nowadays is not that easy, as it demands a huge concentration, and because of todays entertainment it becomes very hard for us to focus on our tasks. In my opinion even if it's hard to reach this state, we can try to practice it each day and develop the ability to control it.

Soumis par Sofía Alejandra le dim 28/02/2021 - 06:11

Permalien
I'm in a state of flow while I practice an hour of yoga class, it ended with the position savasana, the death position.

Soumis par German le jeu 18/02/2021 - 02:10

Permalien
I have been in state of flow when I am creating new tools to help the companies to resolve their problems.

Soumis par Abrarhussain le lun 08/02/2021 - 08:21

Permalien
Yes of course, I completely absorb my self and become in a state of flow during watching international cricket matches on television, I also take a long time when I read stories and poetry books.

Soumis par lavande1983 le jeu 04/02/2021 - 21:44

Permalien
I also agree with this theory that a happy life is a life in which we are completely absorbed in what we do. Il means we interested so much in what we do. But i demmande if addiction is a type of hapiness? For example: game addiction, a person can spend most of his time on video game without eating and sleeping. He completely loses track of time, he does not notice about externant events around him, he plays video game for many hours , evens days. It’s very harmful for his health

Soumis par Aroooma le mar 26/01/2021 - 20:05

Permalien
Yes I 'm completely enter the state of flow when I read a good books or sing my favourite songs,It's wonderful state ,you feel like swimm in the space with out any noisy ideas

Soumis par cittàutopica le mar 26/01/2021 - 18:24

Permalien
I rarely have been in a "state of flow", because I have always tried to preserve a discriminating approach in regard to everything I was doing.

Soumis par Nguyễn Thảo Linh le jeu 21/01/2021 - 15:35

Permalien
I am always lose track of time when I am watching my favorite movies or when I am attending a lecture which its lecture can convey his or her knowledge obviously.

Soumis par Fatii le dim 17/01/2021 - 09:51

Permalien
I experience this state of flow when I learn something new and in the same time I love it, I lost the track of time, otherwise when I did something I didn't like I feel boring.

Soumis par El Cuy Mágico le ven 15/01/2021 - 21:26

Permalien
Of course, I have been in state of flow when I used to play football or basketball. It’s a pretty difficult feeling to describe. But it’s totally true when they say you lose track of time. I also feel this state of flow when I read, but obviously I really have to be quite attracted by the topic.

Soumis par marlio96 le mar 12/01/2021 - 18:57

Permalien
Yes, sometimes I can concentrate on doing some activity that I can lose track of time, for example when I play the piano or when I am running, however when I am doing something that I like.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le dim 10/01/2021 - 05:27

Permalien
Yes, I'm in a state of flow when I reading novels. I like too much novel it's feel me to free about future.i completely absorbed in this. I forget many things about my homework, exam etc. This theory is too much importance in real life. From now I have known what's makes a happy life. It's one of the good lesson. It's learn both - learn English and how to being a happy Thanks a lot BC.

Soumis par Elham Barakat le lun 04/01/2021 - 15:54

Permalien
I accomplish this state of flow only when I read books. But mostly I didn't catch this feeling. I didn't lose my track. No way to flow with the current of air.

Soumis par Saad786 le sam 26/12/2020 - 11:14

Permalien
I have been in a state of flow when I play pes 21 and score more goals.

Hello As Sema,

I understand you're having problems listening to the audio. I've checked the page and it appears to be working correctly. You should see the audio player under the 'Preparation' section.

If the audio does not play for you, try using a different device. Sometimes the device can have compatibility issues, so changing the device may help.

Soumis par Harrison le sam 19/12/2020 - 04:15

Permalien
Sure, I have been in state of flow while I was reading the article about the universe and space. I had absorbed and addicted in the article I was reading. And, as yon know, the universe is extremely astronomical. So, obviously, the articles about universe is also massive. I always lost track of time while I was reading these article and the time will often reach to midnight.

Soumis par Razy le lun 30/11/2020 - 11:43

Permalien
I remember, I really felt this state when I was a school child. Well, while solving a math question, I was so absorbed in so that I couldn't notice that my room has been dark. In other words, I was losing track of anything that was happening around me, except for math.

Soumis par DJ Singh le mer 25/11/2020 - 12:12

Permalien
Oh yeah, so many times, in my last job as a visual effects artist I had to creative works as my task, and while doing that I often forget to have my meal or even go to the washrooms. I spent 3-4 hours continuously working without any interruptions.

Soumis par Hibdah le mar 03/11/2020 - 23:24

Permalien
Yeeeees, I experienced state of flow many times and I can say I knew the real happiness. It happened when I get absorbed in studying mathematical equations. I really love this article, it's just like I am talking about my experience. Many times I lost track to eat, I was concerned nothing except my goal. In the first I felt like it's just a duty to do later on I became in love with what I do. I did it because I wanted not because someone else wanted me to do.

Soumis par javibuendi le mar 03/11/2020 - 10:21

Permalien
Yes, I´m in a state of flow in many situations. For example, when I´m playing some sport, like football or padel. In those moments I feel absorbed and I even lose track of time. Another example is when I´m spending time with my girlfriend, she always brings out the best in me. Cheers from Madrid.

Soumis par togrul01 le ven 30/10/2020 - 19:50

Permalien
Actually, if I'm boxing I'm in a state of flow. By the way, when I'm listening to music I'm in there too.

Soumis par nialataria le sam 24/10/2020 - 11:10

Permalien
Maybe when I paint I'm in a "state of flow"))) Then you can lose a track of time and be totally absorbed in process

Soumis par Ugulhan le lun 19/10/2020 - 10:16

Permalien
Most students who learn the English language, they are absorbed in what they are doing. Even me too I lost track of having my breakfast or sleeping.

Soumis par habibao.medo le dim 11/10/2020 - 17:03

Permalien
i don't think i have been in a state of flow before but maybe when i am reading my favorite novel , i fell very happy that i can dance in the room for hours i think that is flow

Soumis par Smiley1 le sam 10/10/2020 - 14:14

Permalien
Ah, yeah.,. quite often... when I’m having a great dish. ;-)

Soumis par mcambindo22 le ven 09/10/2020 - 22:28

Permalien
Yes, I have been in state of a flow constantly of happiness while I am with my family or when I am studying even though there are some situations when I don't understand something and feeling a bit sad, but I remember my goals and continue striving.

Soumis par Dariusz le ven 02/10/2020 - 14:28

Permalien
Yes I have been. I am in a "state of flow" for example when I learn english.

Soumis par danisep le mer 09/09/2020 - 00:46

Permalien
That happened to me a lot when I was in school, I used to play the guitar and used to spare all the afternoon playing, listening and reading about music. Those days have gone, but now I use this time to learn new things and grow like a person and professional.

Soumis par katyatorres le mar 08/09/2020 - 04:12

Permalien
Yeah, I remember being in that stage when I'm at the church and I'm praying and worshiping to God. I forget the time because I'm focusing on that special moment.

Soumis par Abbasshirdast le mer 02/09/2020 - 15:20

Permalien
some times, I'm watching movies with horror genre. I love this categorize of movies. during watching it, I ignore from the passage of time. the movie maybe has long as 2 or 3 hours, but it don't caused the tiring me. by this way, my mind less involved to our problem. the another thing that I like to do for getting out of problems is walking.

Soumis par Ugulhan le lun 31/08/2020 - 07:24

Permalien
The state of flow can happen to my English habits. When I started to practice English then if I would meet some interesting themes I lose track of time and I would sit within long hours.

Hi Razan Mahairy,

Thanks for your kind comments. It is an interesting topic, isn't it? We're glad you found these listenings useful.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Soumis par Hill le jeu 27/08/2020 - 03:37

Permalien
I have been in a state of flow once I am reading books, especially my interesting books. I define the happiness is the time you do things with all your concentration and do not pay attention to things around you. The ways you do things, the goals you achieve is more important than how much you did.