Episode 04

Daniel's interview doesn't go too well. What mistakes does he make?

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Daniel: Hi there!

Marcia: Good morning, Daniel!

Daniel: Oh, Dan, please.

Marcia: I'm Marcia Boardman – we spoke on the phone – and this is Philip Hart, our CEO.

Philip: Hello!

Daniel: Nice to meet you both.

Philip: So, it says here on your CV that you’re interested in rock climbing.

Daniel: Yeah, I love it!

Philip: Great, so do I! When did you last go climbing?

Daniel: Er, well, it was a while ago, now.

Philip: Anywhere interesting?

Daniel: Yeah, I walked up the hill behind my house. Took me about 30 minutes!

Philip: Oh.

Marcia: OK, erm, Daniel, can you tell us a little bit about your current position?

Daniel: Certainly. As it says in the CV, I'm part of the European sales team at Networld. We're the world's leading supplier of IT hardware.

Philip: Why do you want to move on?

Daniel: Well, they're too small for me!

Marcia: Networld are too small for you?

Daniel: Yeah, I'm looking for something much bigger.

Philip: Well, we're not a big company by any means, but we are looking to grow! Er, what first attracted you to WebWare in particular?

Daniel: Well, I see WebWare as kind of like a stepping stone ...

Marcia: Sorry?

Daniel: Yeah, start here, gain the necessary experience, then move on to something bigger.

Philip: OK ... well, I do admire your ambition!

Daniel: Thanks. I've got lots of it!

Marcia: Let's move on to managing people. Can you give an example of a time when you had to deal with a particularly difficult managee?

Daniel: Sure, well, I think that's one of my strong points, actually. Er, a couple of years ago, I was working with a guy, he wasn't pulling his weight, basically being lazy – so I told him to get out.

Marcia: Oh, you didn't give him a performance review or a warning or perhaps try to develop his motivation?

Daniel: No, no, no, no. None of that rubbish. If someone's not working hard enough, then they're out! That's the way I work. I'm a hard man.

Marcia: I see.

Philip: Erm, how would you handle a rapidly changing market?

Daniel: Basically not change anything at all! Just continue on as normal, regardless.

Marcia: Erm, according to your CV you are fluent in Mandarin ...

Daniel: Well, I wouldn't say 'fluent', exactly, but I like Chinese food a lot so I can read the menu.

Philip: So you can't actually speak the language?

Daniel: Er, no.

Marcia: Can you tell us about a time you had to close a particularly challenging deal?

Daniel: I haven't had one. They're all easy for me. I close deals all the time.

Marcia: OK, well, do you have any questions for us?

Daniel: No.

Philip: Oh. OK. Erm, thanks.

Marcia: Let's move on to the presentation ...

Worksheet89.38 Ko

Soumis par Maahir le mar 20/04/2021 - 14:39

Permalien
Nowadays there are some people who put in their CVs what they are not actually are/did. so they end up with nothing good but disappointment instead. As we can understand from the video, apart from his Unprofessional behavior he is also lair and disrespectful man. He should speak politely and try to convince the recruiter that he has the necessary qualifications and skills for this position.

Soumis par EmanRamadan le mer 03/03/2021 - 07:54

Permalien
He is liar . he is not flexible at all . He doesn't have a vision.

Soumis par AgaZ le ven 22/01/2021 - 20:39

Permalien
He was arrogant and not serious. He was lying. He wasn't trying to convince recruiters that he is the right person on this position.

Soumis par Jackelin Espinoza le sam 12/12/2020 - 15:23

Permalien
I recommend to Daniel, that doesn't be arrogant neither lier. Also, He should be support their experience with clear examples related to the position.

Soumis par Tulip Ro le mer 21/10/2020 - 11:03

Permalien
Daniel's has an ambition that may be a good point, but he is over confidence and he should be professional.

Soumis par Fabz N le lun 19/10/2020 - 01:13

Permalien
He showed up wearing an informal outfit. He should have dressed with a suit. He lied on his CV, he made them believe that he actually was interested in rock climbing and that he was able to speak mandarin fluently. Lying on your Cv is not professional. After that , he was arrogant when he said that all business deals were easy cake for him and when he told how he badly handled a situation where the managee wasn´t showing motivation and effort.

Soumis par Ahmed.A le mer 10/06/2020 - 19:06

Permalien
I would say he was absolutely arrogant and ostentatious—the way he greeted the interviewers, his body language, and his answers made the situation worse. He should be honest and detailed. No one wants an unethical person to be hired!

Soumis par RiccardoLippi le ven 01/05/2020 - 11:03

Permalien
Daniel was very self-confident during the meeting, I think that it is a positive feature. By contrast, maybe, he was too much self-confident, so I can't note any positive aspect of Daniel's meeting. He has to improve several things, above all he must be more clear and sincere about his skills. I noticed that he has magnified his capabilities, for instance his speaking level of mandarin.

Soumis par GERARD le jeu 30/04/2020 - 18:31

Permalien
Points to improve : well all the contrary of what he done: -modify his CV and adjust it to he reality of its skills and experience ie he is clearly not fluent in Chinese, he has no experience of management, he probably never practised climbing and so on and think afterwards about examples he can give to prove the reality of his CV. -be more careless in his way of standing and speaking. He should wear more conventional clothes adapted to the job he applies for. -even if he plans to stay no more than necessary in the company he should not say so and express his interest in the company and its field of activity.

Soumis par GERARD le jeu 30/04/2020 - 18:16

Permalien
I can't see any good points in his interview. He is over confident and arrogant. His behaviour and the way he is dressed is too relax. By his answers to the questions one can understand that the content of its CV its dishonest and who wants to hire someone who do not intend to stay in the company ?

Soumis par Abdulaziz AZ le jeu 30/04/2020 - 01:53

Permalien
He was not good at all he lies in CV he was not professional he well not get this job

Soumis par rivercountryside le mar 28/04/2020 - 13:37

Permalien
Daniel was a confident man. He answered about his strength. He also had solve skills and gived examples in his current. However, he didn't know any languages. Futher, he said that he had ambition bigger, he didnt want to work long time . This company is stepping stone for his future.

Soumis par gerardbarrachina le mer 22/04/2020 - 11:35

Permalien
What were Daniel's good and bad points? What should he do to improve his interview performance? On the good ones, he's very self-confident, friendly and speaker. On the other hand, by the bad ones, he's untrue of many things, as speaking Mandarin as said on CV. By improving his interview performance, he would have to explain true things and not to lie. In addition to this, he wouldn't have to be arrogant to others. Gerard.

Soumis par OlaIELTS le ven 17/04/2020 - 22:13

Permalien
The good points of Daniel is that he has an ambition and the bad points is that he doesn't know the 'Don't' of an interview. He should be acquitted with the 'Do' and 'Don't ' of an interview.

Soumis par Julia Chernobrovkina le jeu 20/02/2020 - 10:45

Permalien
Daniel made all possible mistakes in the interview: answers with lack details, show negative charachter traits (about 'hard man), etc. I would not have hired such an employee.

Soumis par Loc Dang le lun 26/08/2019 - 15:56

Permalien
Through the video, I can learn a crucial point that would be beneficial for a candidate: be confident but not arrogant in an interview. The interviewee here looks too proud of himself but doesn't focus on the critical interest of the employer and fails to bring trust and convincing. Another point that needs avoiding is not to overstate your qualification and be honest in your CV.

Soumis par A_Ichiro le sam 29/06/2019 - 03:39

Permalien
The conversation about rock climbing was interesting to me. I thought that the interviewers ask about hobbies only to break the ice in the interview. However as shown in the video, it might give a poor impression on how passionate you are about things you do. Philip might have thought "Oh.. you just walked up the hill behind your house, saying you're interested in rock climbing."

Soumis par Maryene le mer 05/06/2019 - 10:34

Permalien
I think this video is excellent and show us what should not be said in a job interview. Daniel seems to be too relaxed and familiar. Moreover he lies or exagerates about his skills or hobbies. But the worse for me is that he says he considers WebWare as a stepping stone. It shows he is not interested by the company where he is applying.

Soumis par Vuqar le jeu 21/02/2019 - 05:46

Permalien
Thank's for video. I think that, the choice of Daniel's dress for interwiev is absolutely wrong. His clothes is not officially for job interwiev.

Soumis par kaunghtoo le mer 20/02/2019 - 07:08

Permalien
This is the good example of common mistakes that the candidate who had over-confidence.

Soumis par Olena_Sh le ven 15/02/2019 - 12:07

Permalien
I think, this interview is a good example of what can be happen, if you try to lie in CV and what about Daniel, it's so nastily to look on such candidate

Soumis par AnkeDortmund le sam 26/01/2019 - 06:04

Permalien
This interview was funny and a very good example for failing. I would appreciate to see one with an applicant who gives good answers, too.

Soumis par Lusine le ven 25/01/2019 - 21:40

Permalien
I think that he lost the chance to work in this company as he was not very serious in his answers!

Soumis par Ilson Cassio le ven 07/12/2018 - 15:15

Permalien
This text describe exactly what happen in a job interview. In fact, it a wrong when the applicant tell lie. Because when the interviewers ask him, they recognize and discover when the applicant is tell lying. The interviwers not liked of applicant. Certainly, he won't get the job.

Soumis par fludzinm le dim 02/12/2018 - 19:07

Permalien
This text contains tips for people who are going to a job interview. After their application, the recruiter will positively assess the person applying for a job.

Soumis par Leo Liu le mar 06/11/2018 - 06:48

Permalien
Dear Moderator, Thanks for your patiently answer. At the beginning of this episode, Daniel used "Dan, please." to greetings. So can we use it in our daily lives? Like this, "Leo, please" to greet with friends. And when Philip asked Daniel "Anywhere interesting?" Does it mean if there is an interesting place, you will go or which place was interesting you most in your past experiences? So can we use "Anything interesting" to replace it? Thanks. Best regards, Leo

Hi Leo,

When Daniel says 'Dan, please', he is telling Marcia to please call him 'Dan' instead of 'Daniel'. It's not a greeting.

Philip is asking if the last place than Daniel climbed was anywhere interesting, in other words, if it was a place that is well-known or far away (for example, a mountain like Ben Nevis in Scotland, a mountain that is not easy to climb). 'Anything interesting' doesn't communicate exactly the same idea and wouldn't work as well here.

Soumis par miracheraa le dim 26/08/2018 - 23:25

Permalien
Very useful informations we got here. especially what to avoid doing during a job interview.

Soumis par pedimitris le lun 18/06/2018 - 18:41

Permalien
Mistakes to be avoided during interview...

Soumis par Naiara Hermogenes le mar 12/06/2018 - 23:02

Permalien
The video shows everything you should avoid on a job interview.

Soumis par julio arnaud le ven 18/05/2018 - 16:39

Permalien
What an unusual interview! It's impossible to trust a candidate like him.

Soumis par Tomoaki Hachiya le sam 10/02/2018 - 07:41

Permalien
Daniel, no, no there's no such man as he in this world! He's a supreme example of a bad interviewee. Exaggerating his abilities, pay no respect for the company he's applied a job for, I felt that the staff of this series made up too much! However, it was fun to see anyway... Thanks a lot.

Soumis par Vinicius Librandi le jeu 01/02/2018 - 23:51

Permalien
I am from Brazil and started to study English some years ago.. Since I started to study I always had a big difficult with my listening skills for example when I talk in English with a Brazilian I understand everything that the person is talking to me but when I need to talk with a foreign (English, American or German) I have a big difficult to understand... I work in a multinational company and everytime that I need to participate of a international meeting I stay in panic... Please what suggest could you give to me to improve my listening skills faster? I always watch movies and series with Portuguese subtitles but it looks that is not helping me.. Thank you so much by the support!

Hello Vinicius Librandi,

It can be difficult to cope with fast speech, especially when there are people of different nationalities with different accents speaking together. The first thing I would suggest is that you develop one or two very polite ways to ask the other speaker to repeat what they said if you did not understand it. For example, you might say:

Could you say that once again, please, a little more slowly. The connection is not the best and I didn't quite understand.

Do you mind saying that again please? I didn't quite follow.

Another technique is to check that you understood what the person said or wants. For example, you could say:

So if I understand correctly you need to... / your problem is... / what you are saying is that...

As far as developing listening skills goes, the key is practice. Using the transcripts which we provide with our listening texts is a good idea so that you can read and listen at the same time. This will help you to get used to the rhythms of natural speech and to see how words change and are linked when they are spoken in fluent connected speech. Try also reading the transcript along with the recording after you have listened and done the various comprehension tasks. This will help both your speaking and your listening.

The more you practise, the more you will improve. Remember that we don't always see or feel progress. It is incremental and so hard to see, but if you practise you will get better.

Best wishes,

Soumis par To Ja 1987 le jeu 01/02/2018 - 08:20

Please can someone help me with an answers for episode 4? Please

Hello To Ja 1987,

We're happy to help you with any specific questions you have. Please tell us which question number and ask us a specific question about it.

Soumis par Diona le dim 28/01/2018 - 22:48

Hi Peter M, What's the meaning of "steping stone " please , Thank you Diona

Hello Diona,

A stepping stone is a stone in the river which we can stand on when we want to get across. We use the phrase also in a metaphorical sense to describe something which is a step alone the way to our goal. For example, if my ambition is to become a political journalist then starting a political blog might be a stepping stone on the way to fulfilling that ambition.

Best wishes,

Soumis par CINZIA VALENTI le lun 08/01/2018 - 13:40

Permalien
I think Daniel is quite conceited! He wrote he spoke Mandarin in his CV but it isn't true. I'd never give him that job. Bye

Soumis par Anwr le sam 06/01/2018 - 12:17

Permalien
what is the meaning of "out-right lying never pays"?

Hello Anwr,

When we say something doesn't pay we mean that there is no benefit or profit from it, or that it is not good for the person doing it.

The adjective outright means obvious or undisguised (you can see a definition here).

Best wishes,

Soumis par Optimist le ven 24/11/2017 - 20:34

Permalien
This video content is instructive for me , may be ))

Soumis par Drifted5 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:39

Permalien
the notes in the task 2 had too much information about the mistakes in the business

Soumis par Thundercannon2 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:33

Permalien
this video is very interesting, fun and useful for people which interesed to fluent their english

Soumis par Sebastian Rodriguez le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:29

Permalien
The video is very clear and lets me see and know what I should do and what not to go to an interview

Soumis par Roberto Cesar le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:26

Permalien
what is the meaing of "close a challenging deal "? is that mean "achieveing some goal that offer from someone"?

Hello Roberto Cesar,

When you 'close a deal' you reach a successful conclusion. In other words, you succeed in your negotiation and agree terms with the other side, leading to signing a contract, for example. The deal is challenging if it is difficult to negotiate for some reason. Thus, 'close a challenging deal' means to successfully complete difficult negotiations.

Best wishes,

Soumis par Moreno01 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:22

Permalien
It was a good video and it gave me insight about real interview and what i should avoid to succeed