Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet76.85 Ko
Profile picture for user Kirk

Soumis par Kirk le mer 30/10/2019 - 07:05

En réponse à par sea2007

Hello sea2007

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any such book -- though I'm sure there are some good ones out there -- but I'd be happy to make some recommendations.

First of all, on our site you can find a section called English for emails, though I expect you may know most of what it covers already. There are also several business emails in our Reading and Writing skills sections; I would recommend you check out the B2 and C1 level sections of both -- there should be at least four business-related emails in B2 Reading, C1 Reading, B2 Writing and C1 Writing. We are also working on some new articles for our Business Magazine. I'm not sure how useful they might be for you, and it will be a few months before they are ready, but it might be a good place to look in the future. Finally, there is our LearnEnglish Select course, which you can join if you subscribe to LearnEnglish (though please know that this costs money).

Beyond this, I expect you could find example emails to use as models if you did an internet search for "example business emails" or something similar, though it sounds as if you already do this. If you were able to work with a business English teacher specifically on writing, I'm sure that would also be really useful.

I hope this helps you.

All the best

Soumis par f.agadr le lun 28/10/2019 - 11:39

Permalien
Fdaili Agadr I have completed the lesson for "booking A Table". The level I chose is Beginner A1.

Hello Fdaili Agadr

Thanks for your comment.

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Soumis par ayeennn le ven 04/10/2019 - 01:49

Hello ayeennn

I just wanted to explain that we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Soumis par Izzati Saufie le jeu 03/10/2019 - 13:53

Soumis par nurnadiahazlan le jeu 03/10/2019 - 10:15

Permalien
I have completed the lesson for "Booking a Table". The level I chose is Beginner A1

Soumis par nurul ashikin le jeu 03/10/2019 - 07:17

Soumis par NUR SYAMIERA Z… le jeu 26/09/2019 - 02:14

Permalien
I have completed the following lesson Booking a table. The level that I choose is beginner

Soumis par Syazwin Yusriman le jeu 26/09/2019 - 02:08

Permalien
I have completed the task beginner A1 booking a table.

Soumis par nurbiena le jeu 19/09/2019 - 16:54

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons of A Booking a table. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par Louvennea Joyenne le jeu 19/09/2019 - 09:21

Permalien
My favourite kind of restaurant is Chinese Cuisine restaurant. I have completed the following lessons of Shopping for Clothes, Finding Library and Booking a Table. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par FLORENCE SHERRIE le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:38

Permalien
I have completed the lesson of booking a table.

Soumis par Hannan Aqil le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:32

Permalien
i have completed the following lessons of A request for your boss. The level that I choose was beginer

Soumis par Qhairun Nazmeen le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:03

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par Syazwanny17 le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:01

Profile picture for user Nguyễn Thị Hồng Châu

Soumis par Nguyễn Thị Hồng Châu le dim 15/09/2019 - 15:53

Permalien
Hello everyone, Im come from VietNam, nice to meet you All I want to write my answer for Discussion of this lesson: Sure, I often support my colleague works when they take their day offs. Cause I work for a French Food company in Viet Nam, so when the summer comes, my French colleagues return to France in 15 - 20 days
Profile picture for user Jamilmakawi

Soumis par Jamilmakawi le lun 26/08/2019 - 11:46

Permalien
Usually, I'm quiet fond of Indian restaurants, because they have a wide range of spicy foods.

Soumis par bawk san aung le jeu 22/08/2019 - 03:13

Permalien
Though I don't know much about restaurant,the chinese restaurant is the most i like.As i am being from Asian country, the influence from china is as big as it's country. We can see the chinese food not only many restaurant but also every party in my country. And also the side view is as important as the taste in one restaurant. However, sitting the restaurant with the river view and feeling the taste from chinese restaurant is the best moment for me.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le sam 17/08/2019 - 17:24

Permalien
i like the fish restaurant because i like fish . i can eat as many as like without getting fat.

Soumis par Longan1991 le jeu 15/08/2019 - 05:05

Permalien
My family often go to the restaurant to eat buffet. We book a table at a Japanese restaurant in a shopping centre. It is quite large and good atmosphere. We pick anything we like . the staffs there are friendly and considerate. That restaurant not only cheap but also fresh. I feel content and comfortable
Profile picture for user shinhaphura

Soumis par shinhaphura le lun 12/08/2019 - 08:11

Permalien
I like BBQ. It's so great if has some bottle of fresh bear, ;)
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Soumis par Caterina Siligardi le mer 07/08/2019 - 15:04

Permalien
My favourite kind of restaurant is the pizzeria. I like eating pizza a! lot! And you? Do you like eating pizza?

Soumis par samreenmkhan le mar 30/07/2019 - 10:04

Permalien
i like restaurants with sea view and a good natural view

Soumis par jdevera21 le mar 30/07/2019 - 08:10

Permalien
What's your favourite kind of restaurant? I lived half of my life most near the seashore and my typical type of restaurant is like a very traditional old stylish venue, that cook's authentic unique local kinds of seafood dishes that will bring back my childhood favorite menus.

Soumis par Santika le lun 29/07/2019 - 10:35

Permalien
From this lesson I think it's better if we said something a little bit longer or detail. In this case, instead of "table for four" in part two of the conversation, Jamie can said "table for four people" to prevent missunderstanding/do not understand properly/a little bit confuse. And instead of six for 06:00 we can said six o'clock so it is clear that we talk about time. But sometimes things make us say something as short as possible especially in a conversation. Then if some missunderstanding/do not understand properly/a little bit confuse happen in the conversation, both parties can fix it patiently and politely with enough knowledge on grammar.

Soumis par ayusisi le lun 22/07/2019 - 11:40

Permalien
I really love Indonesia restaurants, the waiters are very nice and the most important, the food is delicious. I love Indonesian food like fried rice.

Soumis par fariba le lun 15/07/2019 - 11:33

Permalien
i like a big and romantic restaurant.it should have a beautiful view.
Profile picture for user shahramuteng

Soumis par shahramuteng le dim 07/07/2019 - 23:24

Permalien
I like a restaurant that can serve the meals from my hometown, Rasht of Iran. it is interesting to know Rasht is designated as members of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network in terms of Gastronomy on 11 December 2015! to tell the truth, when I am hungry at outdoor, I prefer to have delicious fast foods such as cheeseburger. and I can't wait for finding my mother town foods!!!
I agree with you, Especially Baghalighatogh! Thanks for explain about rasht, i'm sorry about has a little information about my country!

Soumis par popo1011 le dim 30/06/2019 - 08:26

Permalien
Hi I like turkish restaurants , they have delicious meal , drinks , salads ....

Soumis par Diana0419 le jeu 27/06/2019 - 15:24

Permalien
Actually, I was a girl who love to travel around the world, so I like to taste all kinds of different meals from a wide variety of countries. As a matter of fact, I love the Japanese cuisine the most because its meal and ingredients are fit to my favorite.

Soumis par Mennaosama le mar 25/06/2019 - 01:32

Permalien
i prefer open kinds of restaurants with delicious meals

Soumis par anhsonic le ven 14/06/2019 - 13:18

Permalien
I like to eat very much, I want to try many kinds of food in the world. Especially, Vietnamese food make me lot of impressions. If you can at least visit Vietnam on time, you must stay there in 1 month and try your best to eat

Soumis par Cherif le mer 12/06/2019 - 14:17

Permalien
Hello, I wish to reserve a table for 3 people for tomorrow night. we would like to have a table next to a window thank you so much

Soumis par abdalhameed le sam 08/06/2019 - 13:42

Permalien
I do not like to eat restaurant food, I prefer to eat what my mother cook.
Profile picture for user Evandro Diniz

Soumis par Evandro Diniz le mer 05/06/2019 - 20:24

Permalien
I really prefer the food from my motherland... Brazil... Our country is huge, so we have a lot of options. I also enjoy having Italian and Mexican food...

Soumis par Agata2021 le lun 03/06/2019 - 12:33

Permalien
I like small restourants with delicious meal and pleasant staff.

Soumis par mhazizi le dim 26/05/2019 - 15:52

Permalien
I don't like to eat fast food in a restaurant. Because, eating fast food leads to illness. I think it's better to eat more vegetable and a little fast food. Usually the restaurant environment is nice special with family. Thanks

Soumis par Malik le ven 24/05/2019 - 10:30

Permalien
My favorite restaurant is a renowned restaurant with variate type of foods specially cranshy and spicy foods, in addition to good and fast Services.

Soumis par Liv hoang le dim 12/05/2019 - 10:32

Permalien
I like restaurants with fresh air and green plants. Wherever, they serve local and seasonable foods.