Missing a class

Listen to a student explain why she can't come to class to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Excuse me, Ms Henderson?

Teacher: Yes, Diana. How can I help you?

Student: I'm sorry, but I can't come to class next Wednesday. I have a doctor's appointment.

Teacher: OK. Thanks for letting me know.

Student: Is there anything to do at home?

Teacher: Let me just check my notebook. OK, first of all … you need to read chapters 17, 19 and 20 in the book. There are also some articles and a video to watch – those are online. I'll post the links online in the usual place.

Student: Chapters 17 to 20.

Teacher: Yes, except chapter 18. Chapters 17, 19 and 20.

Student: Ah, OK. Um ... is there a deadline?

Teacher: Yes, this Friday. But there's something else. I was going to give you all a practice test.

Student: A practice test?

Teacher: Yes, to help people prepare for the mid-term exam.

Student: Ah. All right.

Teacher: Don't worry, I can send you the practice test by email on Wednesday. Can you send it to me before Friday?

Student: Sure, no problem.

Teacher: And don't forget to bring a certificate from the doctor to the office.

Student: Thanks, Ms Henderson! I'll do that.

Teacher: You're welcome, Diana. Take care.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet100.19 Ko

Soumis par Asni le jeu 25/06/2020 - 22:53

Permalien
No, I'm not studying anymore so I don't have homeworks. When I was at university, I had a lot of homework assignments. The load of work was so huge that almost everybody ended up hating homeworks, not only me. However, I enjoyed my English homeworks. English didn't make part of my degree, that was an English course I took because it was offered by the university of Seville with a 50 percent discount for students and I wanted to take advantage of that opportunity.

Soumis par LarisaAlp le lun 15/06/2020 - 19:25

Permalien
I am a teacher at the university. I give some homework for my students. And during the pandemic of the korona virus, I teach online and I need to give more tasks. When I learn English myself I can't call it "homework". I don't have enough time to learn English. It's maybe from 30 minutes to 2 hours. But I try don't miss this deal, I learn English every day. I read and write better than listen and speak, that's why I like to read very much. But I understand that I must improve another skills.

Soumis par iisrimadanti20 le sam 13/06/2020 - 01:45

Permalien
No, I don't have a lot of homework but i have a thesis that is important to finished. I liked reviewing the literature and writing of my opinion in a paper.

Soumis par Sharif Tayyebi le mer 03/06/2020 - 11:40

Permalien
I have studied English by myself, so I usually do my homework work as much as I can. I usually get up early in the morning. After having breakfast, I often start to work on English. I usually read some pages of a book which is written in the field of criminal law. Then I do practice of grammar book. Next, I read a lesson of America file 3. I usually browse through Internet, especially British Council site and i sometimes check my email or Facebook for news. Infact, we are in quarantine now, so I just practice or do homework during the day. Regards, Tayyebi

Soumis par Anna Goraj le mar 19/05/2020 - 18:32

Permalien
Like every mother , has duties as well . There are quite a lot of homework to do . Among others cleaning , cooking , washing , ironing . However , I like cleaning the most , because I enjoy this job by including good music . So I combine duties with pleasure .

Soumis par Anna Goraj le mar 19/05/2020 - 18:27

Permalien
To be honest , there are no festivals in my family . Only small performances related to the town where I come from . They are annual harvest festivities ending the summer . Then tohether with my mother , we prepare many delicious dishes , including traditional dishes - potato chop plus chicken soup . I can ' t forget dessert - cheesecake .

Soumis par mouna99 le lun 18/05/2020 - 16:24

Permalien
yes I've a lot of homework, I prefer organic chemistry tasks

Soumis par Fatemeh.Najafzadeh le lun 18/05/2020 - 00:59

Permalien
I am studying English in Adult Education Service Center in Dublin. In this difficult time on account of corona virus, our class is held online and is given us a lot of assignments. I’m so enthusiastic and I do all of them as soon as possible. Reading and answering questions are my favorite skills.

Soumis par Nhungggg le mar 12/05/2020 - 08:03

Permalien
Of course!!! I’ve a lot of homework. It’s terrible when i comeback my university. I like online homework because i can do it everywhere by my phone. It’s very simple, quickly and convenience.

Soumis par nguyenthihoanb0510 le jeu 23/04/2020 - 13:46

Permalien
in the mean time, i can't go to school, so my teachers give me a lot of homework to practise. I'd like to design a presentation, it's my idea and I need to good at knowledge to make it. after that I send it to my teachers, who will read and mark it.

Soumis par S.S le lun 20/04/2020 - 16:48

Permalien
Yes,I have a lot of homework.I like writing a history report or finding out history.

Soumis par Lauracastanos le lun 13/04/2020 - 23:17

Yes, I have a lot of homework, I don't like it but it's good in times of cov19
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le jeu 09/04/2020 - 22:16

Permalien
Yes, I does. I do like research reading homework.

Soumis par NicollGonz13 le mer 08/04/2020 - 18:03

Permalien
Every day I have a new challenge with instructions to improve my knowledge, it is very good because I learn a lot.

Soumis par NicollGonz13 le mer 08/04/2020 - 18:01

Permalien
Yes, I really have a lot of homework but I like it because I improve my English on days and learn new words.

Soumis par ademyonet le lun 06/04/2020 - 14:45

Permalien
I have got a lot of homework if I say that it be lie. Because I don't make homework, I give other homework. Because I teach others and my students. This is very good, is this?

Soumis par Daudau0601 le mer 01/04/2020 - 06:06

Permalien
Recently i have had some exercise and one deadline. I think i don't like this ex but i quite interested in this deadline because i am learning online and my presentation is presented online that makes me feel more comfortable and more confident..

Soumis par Eswar le mer 18/03/2020 - 15:25

Permalien
Yes i have a lot of home work to creating the ideas to develop the Games in mobile phone.these kind of homework i will do apparently.

Soumis par jason2295 le ven 13/03/2020 - 15:57

Permalien
Yes, I always have a lots of homework to do but I like it beacause I enjoy to practise in order to improve my knowledge.

Soumis par Station le ven 06/03/2020 - 12:06

Permalien
I don't do homework from school because, in my opinion, it's a waste of time, but I do daily homework. It includes listening, speaking and reading. I do my reading and listening homework on this website besides I do my programming lessons online.

Soumis par Van Duc Nguyen le mer 04/03/2020 - 04:07

Permalien
no much. the kind of homework i like is research any chapter, specialty theology and philosophy.... i also priority learning english

Soumis par shahhoseini le mer 29/01/2020 - 13:16

Permalien
I have managed my time to learn English with your website and for this reason, have to do homework three days a week. I do this homework in the four skills IELTS include listening, reading, writing and speaking.

Soumis par MaryaSun le lun 27/01/2020 - 14:51

Permalien
i have finished my study last July, so i don't attend school or university now. I am attending some courses: english course and informatic course. I can organize my study and i don't have any deadline, so i can study when i want and when i have some free time. I studied art ,both in school and university. So i prefer homework about art, manuality and practise.

Soumis par Dariusz le dim 19/01/2020 - 22:12

Permalien
I don't have homework from school because I finished my education, but I do homework related to every day. I make it oneself, I go swim and learn english so my homework concern these practises.

Soumis par Maksmatt le mar 08/10/2019 - 12:03

Permalien
Yes, I have a lot of homeworks. For the moment I have free from my work and therefor I use many hours a day to improve my English. Mostly I like homeworks like listening and repeat the textes loud to myself. I think that this kind of practising helps med a lot.

Soumis par amirahsyasya le mar 17/09/2019 - 08:23

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons of a student disscussion , a weather forecast and making a desicion . The level that I choose was Pre-intermediate A2 Listening
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le dim 25/08/2019 - 18:44

Permalien
I have a lot of homework to do , like searching for a better job , learning English , practice typing . But the most interested thing to do is learning English .

Soumis par César Árraga le mer 31/07/2019 - 04:23

Permalien
This month I haven't had a lot of homework, but the last month I had a lot of homework assignment. Currently I study english in a Language centre and I like that my teacher give me homework to reinforce my learning at home.

Soumis par stevewankou le sam 27/07/2019 - 18:06

Permalien
I don't have enough of homework.when I wake up I only clean the ground

Soumis par Setareh le mer 17/07/2019 - 03:22

Permalien
I do not have any homework, because I finished my education, but in total I like homework that I can learn something.
Profile picture for user BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA

Soumis par BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA le mar 02/07/2019 - 10:36

Permalien
I like do the professionnal homework.

Soumis par cittàutopica le ven 21/06/2019 - 16:03

Permalien
I'm nota a student, but I have a lot of homework during the day: I go to the gym, I read many books, I go to the cinema; moreover I help my nieces with their babies and I take care of the house chores.

Soumis par Bayram Ozkaya le mer 24/04/2019 - 13:18

Permalien
I have homework of physics , math and other lessons. I like math if I can solve questions.

Soumis par Sara elyas le mar 23/04/2019 - 18:16

Permalien
No I don't have a lot of home work,im a house wife I finished my study, l only take care of my house and my children, cook food, watching clothes, playing sport feed baby and cleanning
Profile picture for user walidel7

Soumis par walidel7 le lun 08/04/2019 - 17:30

Permalien
It was a great exercise to listen English , my skills it is development gradually,i think might after 3 months i will able to give instruction and guide other learn to how improve his English and how be capable to understanding fast speaking in English.