An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Worksheet121.79 Ko

Soumis par zehrizer le lun 20/12/2021 - 10:12

Permalien

I dont know about other people but ı can get lost easy. My ability of direction is so bad. I m not the best to give instruction for adress.
Note to english team: can you please correct my falls

Hello zehrizer,

We're not generally able to correct our users' texts, though we're happy to help with specific questions about a specific sentence or phrase.

In this case, I'd change 'ability' to 'sense' and 'to give instruction for adress' to 'at giving directions'.

Soumis par helgamudanisse90 le mar 23/11/2021 - 15:47

Permalien

It is not easy to get lost in my city, because we have the name of the streets in each corner. Beside that, the way the streets were built or disigned is not difficult to understand. I have never given directions to visitors in my city because no one asked me before.

Soumis par ANOUAR le lun 22/11/2021 - 09:15

Permalien

Yes I still remember that I have given instructions about the direction to a visitors.

Soumis par LamVanPhuong le lun 15/11/2021 - 15:07

Permalien

my town is a place quite modern so Don't worry that you will get lost. However, sometimes i still I still show the way to a few passengers from other places.

Soumis par azharbgskr le sam 13/11/2021 - 16:29

Permalien

No, it isn't. My town has a clear road signs, so you can follow them easily. I have never give a directions to a visitor because no one asked me, LOL.

Soumis par KyawMinThu le sam 30/10/2021 - 16:31

Permalien

No, It isn’t . I was born in Myanmar. As a citizen of Myanmar, I am in friendly with so many roads in my town. I had given a direction to a foreigner for his lunch time. It had been about a year ago.

Soumis par bento16 le mer 27/10/2021 - 19:08

Permalien

Of course not. I've been living in the same small city since I was born. And yes, I've ever given directions to visitor several times.

Soumis par vuhoap le lun 25/10/2021 - 13:57

Permalien

I am living in Japan now. Nowadays we are easy to use google maps for tracking the current location. So I think that it is hard to get lost in my town. Besides. I haven't ever given directions to a visitor because I am also a foreigner who came to work in Japan. So that, I have been given directions from the Japanese person.

Soumis par FaridANG200 le lun 18/10/2021 - 18:42

Permalien

Of course, i live in Paris, there are a lot of visitor and may some of them ask me their directions. I give them
it's is very easy to lost himself in Paris

Soumis par ngocha le lun 18/10/2021 - 02:24

Permalien

i live in small town so it very difficult to lost in my hometown. But when i go out of my hometown, I have lost anytime

Soumis par gutodarbem le mer 13/10/2021 - 12:32

Permalien

Yes, it is easy to get lost in my town. I have given directions to a visitors, but I don't know if they could find the loc

Soumis par Izan Garcia le mer 13/10/2021 - 10:17

Permalien

In my town is difficult to get lost but in the mountain it is possible. I have given them directions for going to the town hall.

Soumis par JanMateos le mer 13/10/2021 - 10:11

Permalien

In my town it's not very difficult to get lost because it's a little town.
I remember once I have given directions to a visitor, he asked me where the football field was.I inadvertently told him the wrong address, I felt bad but it wasn't my fault.

Soumis par abdullah-4351 le sam 09/10/2021 - 10:55

Permalien

My brother Mohamed was in a trip and when he back to home . I told him the directions from the airport to the house. I remember that i failed in describe the directions😯. So he still out the house for many hours 😅

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le mer 06/10/2021 - 01:15

Permalien

No, where I'm live there is no chance to lost. Everybody have a smartphone with advance technology. I'm still never lost in anywhere.

Soumis par ENGLISHMAN le sam 25/09/2021 - 07:49

Permalien
In the past giving direction to visitors, it's look as normal routine in our daily life but, today with advance technology like Google Map no need for that just open your navigation satlite app and start going.

Soumis par PuenteD le jeu 05/08/2021 - 01:27

Permalien
In my town is very difficult to get lost... We have one way in both directions... No more... But, if you need to move by the mountains or rivers, the true is that you get lost...

Soumis par KATIELLE RAIAN… le jeu 15/07/2021 - 09:28

Permalien
In my city it's very easy to get lost, because it's a very big city. Several times I have already given instructions to visitors.

Soumis par SaraMessa le mar 13/07/2021 - 18:11

Permalien
I live in a small town, so it's not easy to get lost. My town is famous for a sanctuary and often there are some visitors. Sometimes I give them directons for going to sanctuary.

Soumis par Oussama Touzani le lun 12/07/2021 - 23:35

Permalien
its easy to get lost in my city, because its so big and there is less indication , so its useful to move by bus or other public transportation to visit the monument or others famous places

Soumis par PeterG le mar 22/06/2021 - 02:06

Permalien
To be honest, I live in a small town called La Leonesa, so It's too difficult to lost in it. Also, it isn't a touristic place, thus there aren't any tourists here. But, one time I gave an instruction to someone that cames from Buenos Aires. That's was so difficult to explain because I don't know where that specific place!

Soumis par Rafaela1 le ven 14/05/2021 - 15:51

Permalien
With a good guy, I don't think it's easy to get lost in the world. :)

Soumis par Brona le ven 14/05/2021 - 10:18

Permalien
If you ask me if its easy to get lost in your town then I would say yes, as I still do find difficult to move around London. Without my phone GPS or road signs I would be totally lost. As for giving directions to someone I would say it could be other way round, as its me most of the time asking for the same.

Soumis par Veronikka le lun 10/05/2021 - 00:11

Permalien
Well, I live in Chaclacayo in Lima, Perú. It's a little and nice borough. It's in the countryside. I think it's no easy to get lost in it. For the second question, before pandemic I've given directions to visitors. Now, I don't go out from my house, so I'm not getting to speak with other people.

Soumis par Rafaela1 le jeu 06/05/2021 - 15:10

Permalien
It is easy to get lost in my town where winding roads are everywhere. ;)

Soumis par karinaelizabeth le mer 05/05/2021 - 18:09

Permalien
Yes, for my it's easily to get lost in my town because I don't go out very much so when I have to go out I have to take with me google maps app not to get lost.

Soumis par Majidaa909 le sam 03/04/2021 - 15:39

Permalien
In my country is unpossible to lost your directions because you have The Google maps.

Soumis par hasson11 le ven 02/04/2021 - 14:32

Permalien
of cours yes, that is when you're new in the city . I give the instruction to my friends ,when they'er viset my

Soumis par TIa vinaka le mer 31/03/2021 - 07:14

Permalien
it is easy to get lost in my town because I live in countryside, there is not many sign and doesn't show street name. I gave directions to my friend when she came home for the first time I must have stood the street a little far from my house so as to show to my friend where to turn the street to my home.

Soumis par MikhailZatopliaev le mar 30/03/2021 - 23:56

Permalien
It is easy to get lost in my city, though if you have smartphone you can use e-map, but if no it is very easy get lost. I have given direction to visitors when my wife's parents visit us, they live in small town.

Soumis par Usmonov Ozodjon le lun 29/03/2021 - 15:32

Permalien
I think everywhere, especially, where we haven't been there before, it is easy to get lost. But Alhamdulillah there are languages, instructions, people.

Soumis par Thales Guimarães le jeu 25/03/2021 - 01:54

Permalien
It's pretty easy to walk in my city even you don't know it. If you have some problems, try to ask someone for directions as soon as you get lost there and you will resume your way.

Soumis par sanazmajidi le mer 24/03/2021 - 10:30

Permalien
not really because the signs are clear in my city but yes obviously sometimes I give instructions to visitors who asked.

Soumis par Daniela Palomi… le mar 09/03/2021 - 23:56

Permalien
It is easy to get lost in my town because the streets don't have determined directions on each corner, so if you are a visitor, you only have one option that is to ask people for directions. Maybe it is easy to get your destination if it's located in a main street but not in an unknown street.

Soumis par Aye Thet Pan le mar 02/03/2021 - 16:29

Permalien
When i moved to my new aparment i gave instructions to to my friends.

Soumis par vespinosa10 le mar 23/02/2021 - 19:07

Permalien
Yes, I think that when you don't know the city it is obvious that you are going to get lost, and yes, I give the instruction of my address when my boyfriend comes to my house.

Soumis par Syafiqah le jeu 18/02/2021 - 01:34

Permalien
This question is bit difficult and challenging..but I can answer it..

Soumis par In le mar 09/02/2021 - 10:56

Permalien
Not really. Well in some parts of the city is to get lost or confused, happened to me one time.

Soumis par Leila77 le sam 06/02/2021 - 09:42

Permalien
Yes, it is easy to get lost in my town. I live in a big city and the roads are really complicated. I have given directions to someone and he got lost!

Soumis par kautsar le jeu 04/02/2021 - 08:33

Permalien
Yes, it is. Because the roads on my town are so complicated. and i had given instruction to the visitor who asked how to get to our landmark places

Soumis par Sara Kalafat le ven 29/01/2021 - 14:39

Permalien
i do everyday and i have some troubles to give the directions and addresses hhhha

Soumis par German le sam 23/01/2021 - 01:48

Permalien
It´s easy get lost in my city (Bogotá). It´s big and in some places the adresses are dificult. I had to give instructions to visitors and for Bogota is a little bit complex

Soumis par Marsa le dim 10/01/2021 - 11:39

Permalien
Hi! I never lost in my town. It's not so big but not small . Of course I have given direction for visitors end sometimes I have taken direction when I didn't know clearly where was some address

Soumis par Minh le mer 06/01/2021 - 19:22

Permalien
Well, I have been lived in the detached house for many years. With my house it's easy to find, and people can't lost place where I give the instruction. Absolutely, I always describe my home for my friends coming to visit or meet together.

Soumis par Zhasulan le ven 01/01/2021 - 15:30

Permalien
I live in Zhezkazgan.The Zhezkazgan is small town. I sure that in the my town impossible to get lost and had n`t a lot of place.If you will can get lost my town you should ask to help of local resident.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le jeu 31/12/2020 - 07:37

Permalien
I live in a village so no one lost in village. When outsiders come to my village they need to google map. It's very helpful for outsiders. When ever visitors come to my village I help them. it's feel me very great.

Soumis par Rabia Syed le mer 30/12/2020 - 15:57

Permalien
Hi I Living In Village and It's Difficult To find my House . But If u Are having Google Map On Your smart phone. Then U Can Easily find my House. If you are facing Hardles to find my House u can connect me On my Cell phone. Ok by Talk soon