An email from a friend

Read an email about plans for the weekend to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Hi Samia,

Just a quick email to say that sounds like a great idea. Saturday is better for me because I'm meeting my parents on Sunday. So if that's still good for you, why don't you come here? Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in. We can eat at home and then go for a walk in the afternoon. It's going to be so good to catch up finally. I want to hear all about your new job!

Our address is 52 Charles Road, but it's a bit difficult to find because the house numbers are really strange here. If you turn left at the post office and keep going past the big white house on Charles Road, there's a small side street behind it with the houses 50–56 in. Don't ask me why the side street doesn't have a different name! But call me if you get lost and I'll come and get you.

Let me know if there's anything you do/don't like to eat. Really looking forward to seeing you!

See you soon!

Gregor

Worksheet57.37 Ko

Soumis par ANOUAR le lun 22/11/2021 - 09:32

Permalien

I have never made planes with my friends by Email, Sometimes by Whatsapp but it sounds like a great idea to try making a plane by Email and write the famous word that I've learned today "CATCH UP".

Soumis par dandelion le sam 13/11/2021 - 23:43

Permalien

I usually use my email to invite my friends or talk with my family. Normally I use WhatsApp to talk with my friends and family. My e-mail is more for work or formal conversation.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le sam 16/10/2021 - 12:55

Permalien

I don't ever make plans via email address. Email is good only formal talk and in working people

Soumis par LamVanPhuong le jeu 14/10/2021 - 12:33

Permalien

i and my friends have never made plans on email because we have message on the phone

Soumis par marisolar le mar 08/06/2021 - 11:37

Permalien
Yes, I think that anyone use the email to make plans with friends. I make plans with friends by calls or message text on WhatsApp. If I need to find friend's address we use the GPS, it's really useful.

Soumis par Veronikka le mar 18/05/2021 - 18:28

Permalien
I usually use WhatsApp for planning meetings with my friends.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le ven 07/05/2021 - 11:33

Permalien
I make phone calls if I want to meeting with friends. Usually email is for just for apply job. And email for professional work.

Soumis par Andrea Valencia le sam 10/04/2021 - 17:44

Permalien
I make plans with friends by cell phone or text, but I don't use email for plans with friends.

Soumis par Venequin le lun 05/04/2021 - 19:43

Permalien
No, we really make our plans by telegram. But as you well know since pandemic everything has been complicated we prefer to do it by video call.

Soumis par rjesuspolo le lun 29/03/2021 - 16:08

Permalien
Generally, I made plans with my friends through of Whatsapp, facebook or when we meet. Only, I've made plans to email when it's for work.

Soumis par MikhailZatopliaev le lun 29/03/2021 - 00:05

Permalien
I make plans with my friends by WeChat, do you know that? It is easy.

Soumis par Rano le lun 15/03/2021 - 11:49

Permalien
I am send email just for apply job. Iam text or call my friend.

Soumis par TIa vinaka le lun 15/03/2021 - 02:07

Permalien
To make plans with my friends by Line is the way I use most. app is much easier and doesn't cost much.

Soumis par Daniela Palomi… le jeu 11/03/2021 - 00:52

Permalien
To make plans with my friends, I use WhatsApp to coordinate with them what we are going to do.

Soumis par Hoang Hai le mer 24/02/2021 - 04:31

Permalien
I often make plan with friends by phone call or social network applications. I only use email for work.

Soumis par In le mar 09/02/2021 - 10:46

Permalien
I use to make plans with my friends by what's up or phone calls.

Soumis par Adrielle le dim 07/02/2021 - 23:52

Permalien
I don't use email, we schedule things in the days or in the free time by another application.

Soumis par abirgo le mer 13/01/2021 - 20:30

Permalien
I usually use the phone to communicate with my friend and to arrange the time and the place for our meeting but sometimes i use the social media

Soumis par Vanessa Villeg… le sam 09/01/2021 - 02:10

Permalien
I make plans with my friends by social network or instant messaging app like Messenger, Whatsapp, Telegram. We decide the place we are going to meet, the time, etc.

Soumis par Khin Yee Mon Khaing le mar 22/12/2020 - 02:58

Permalien
I always call phone my friends when I make a plan but sometimes use messenger and go their home.

Soumis par SStanley le mer 09/12/2020 - 12:06

Permalien
Why were you used " we've done ON the kitchen"instead of "IN"? Thank you!

Hi SStanley,

The full phrase is:

• Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in.

The preposition on is connected to all the work we've done. The base phrase is do work on something.

Your suggestion is good too! You could put in instead of on. Structurally, this is a bit different, because in is connected to the kitchen (not all the work we've done). But the meaning is pretty much the same.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Soumis par Esther_arvar le lun 07/12/2020 - 14:24

Permalien
I make plans with my friends by WhatsApp or maybe by Email, because is more easy to contact with they.

Soumis par André Salgado le mar 01/12/2020 - 18:16

Permalien
I never make plans with me friends by email. I usually call my friends to make plans.

Soumis par Mohamed Algerian le dim 29/11/2020 - 09:58

Permalien
I usually use phone calls to make plane with my friends, because I suppose emails are more professional.

Soumis par cutiepie le dim 22/11/2020 - 22:37

Permalien
I usually make plan with my friend by social app like WhatsApp. We arrange what to do and the place to meet, and also the time

Soumis par Thinthinmyoe le dim 22/11/2020 - 09:38

Permalien
At this time, most people use messenger,sms and text to communicate with their friends instead of email. I also use only messenger and phone calls.

Soumis par Ehsan le mar 17/11/2020 - 06:32

Permalien
I don't make plans with my friends by email. I usually call them or text them.

Soumis par Ana Luisa Sanc… le jeu 05/11/2020 - 00:21

Permalien
I like call by phone to my friends before any plans to do, we arrange the schedule and place meet , and we confirm by message at phone some details like adress, or to give some instructions.

Soumis par Pola le sam 31/10/2020 - 15:20

Permalien
I'm always use a massager, what's up or calling direct to make a plan , I don't use the email with my friends.

Soumis par Asni le mer 28/10/2020 - 22:10

Permalien
No, I usually don't use email for that purpose...However, it happened that my phone got broken down so I just used my email instead.

Soumis par Moon Wathan le lun 12/10/2020 - 15:32

Permalien
I usually make the plans with friends by calling her. I don't use email everywhere.

Soumis par Lilly098 le jeu 08/10/2020 - 04:47

Permalien
Hi there. Can anyone help me??? I want to know why Task (1) - 2. "Gregor is going to make lunch." is truth. In Gregors email, he mentioned that they can have lunch at home and asked his friend if there's anything he can't eat. However, he did not clearly state that he is going to cook. Im so confused. He may order some food from delivery service....... It would be highly appreciate if someone help me understand. Thank you so much! (TT)

Hello Lilly098,

Gregor does not say directly that he is going to cook, so there is some interpretation here, I agree. However, I think if a person says 'we can eat at home' then it generally means that they are planning to cook or make something. If they intended to get something delivered, then they would probably ask what kind of food the person liked (Italian, Chinese etc) rather than asking if there was something they could not eat.

Soumis par shawn peter ru… le dim 04/10/2020 - 06:24

Permalien
i haven't used email ever for making plan with others.but i think email is very good to having contact with your university and i always use this way to communicate with university

Soumis par shelly le mar 22/09/2020 - 04:43

Permalien
I perfer to use social Apps like whatsup, wechat to make plans with my friends. But if the plans related to my job with my clients or colleagues, I would like to email them as it is more formal.

Soumis par anwarrasool le ven 18/09/2020 - 09:28

Permalien
Dear sir I have a few doubts and would like you to explain to me if possible. In preparation section, how the question ”That SOUNDS LIKE a good idea.” can replace with ”is” In task 1 why they question number three answer is True. Sincerely

Soumis par Kirk le ven 18/09/2020 - 13:56

En réponse à par anwarrasool

Hello anwarrasool,

'That sounds like a good idea' is another way of saying 'I think that is a good idea'. In other words, 'sounds like' doesn't refer to sounds -- it refers to how we feel about an idea. You can see more examples in this 'sound2' dictionary entry -- be sure to go about halfway down the page.

When Gregor says 'It's going to be so good to catch up finally', this is a good indication that it has been a long time since he has seen Samia.

Soumis par Priyazmi le lun 14/09/2020 - 03:50

Permalien
I make plans with my friends by using messages or social network ,but i do use email sometimes

Soumis par Roblox le dim 06/09/2020 - 15:49

Permalien
I do make a plan with friends by email. It was easy and handy.

Soumis par Mati le sam 15/08/2020 - 07:24

Permalien
Actually, for the purpose of inviting for some formal meeting we are using email but, for the purpose informal like inviting friends we prefer to use some other social medias like: whats app, Messenger and so on .......

Soumis par Tambur le ven 14/08/2020 - 07:38

Permalien
Usually I don't use email to make plans with my friends, I prefer use Whatsapp and social networking. I use email for work and to send official letters.