An email from a friend

Read an email about plans for the weekend to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Hi Samia,

Just a quick email to say that sounds like a great idea. Saturday is better for me because I'm meeting my parents on Sunday. So if that's still good for you, why don't you come here? Then you can see the new flat and all the work we've done on the kitchen since we moved in. We can eat at home and then go for a walk in the afternoon. It's going to be so good to catch up finally. I want to hear all about your new job!

Our address is 52 Charles Road, but it's a bit difficult to find because the house numbers are really strange here. If you turn left at the post office and keep going past the big white house on Charles Road, there's a small side street behind it with the houses 50–56 in. Don't ask me why the side street doesn't have a different name! But call me if you get lost and I'll come and get you.

Let me know if there's anything you do/don't like to eat. Really looking forward to seeing you!

See you soon!

Gregor

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Worksheet72.33 Ko

Soumis par mm_xx1415 le lun 18/05/2020 - 22:58

Permalien
My friends How are you? I'm writing about dating each others which's suitable to me on Friday at the time suited you guys. wish you all the best my dears Mohammed

Soumis par Jahon_9225 le sam 16/05/2020 - 09:20

Permalien
I prefer to use telegram or telephone when I am chatting with my friends

Soumis par Muhammad Bagir le ven 15/05/2020 - 05:12

Permalien
Mostly, we use whatsapp group to plan something.

Soumis par Kalai le jeu 07/05/2020 - 12:16

Permalien
I always use phone calls to make plans with my friends but I rarely use whatsapp because our excitement or feelings doesn't expressed in words

Soumis par Angelika Angie le dim 03/05/2020 - 14:33

Permalien
Hi Everyone! Definitely I prefer to communicate through WhatsApp or messenger. I only use email at work to communicate with customers. I wish you all a nice day!

Soumis par mohabas le mer 29/04/2020 - 13:26

Permalien
Hi Ramla I'm very glad to hear you are moving our district next month.

Soumis par evgeniygenchev le jeu 23/04/2020 - 20:30

Permalien
I prefer to use a viber or phone calls.

Soumis par Shadabali93 le mer 15/04/2020 - 12:59

Permalien
I prefer to use whatsapp group of me with my friend

Soumis par carol alves le mar 14/04/2020 - 19:46

Permalien
I prefer to use a whatsap or phone calls, is better, because it's more practical, fast and easly to use.

Hello Hashim Ali,

We don't recommend books on LearnEnglish as we try to stay neutral as regards publishers and authors. What I can say is that every publisher has many graded readers available to learners of English which allow you to choose material at a good level for you. This means a level which is challenging but not discouraging. If you visit the websites of major ELT (English language teaching) publishers then you'll see many books to choose from, in both paper and electronic formats.

Soumis par ademyonet le dim 12/04/2020 - 13:15

Permalien
E-mail is a tool we use very little. Calling with the phone is a way we prefer mostly. E-mail isn't useful a method. Using the WhatsApp is easier. I prefer using message programmes to using e-mail. This is my opinion, too.

Soumis par V le sam 04/04/2020 - 01:57

Permalien
It depends, it can be over the phone, or by a message on whatsApp or fb. I hardly use of email to make plans with my friends.

Soumis par Daudau0601 le ven 03/04/2020 - 15:38

Permalien
hello everyone, In these day, Vietnamese people stay at home, restricted to the road because of Covid 19. So i and my friend haven't not any plans but we are still chatting with each other by messenger, facebook.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Soumis par Sergei Baskakov le mar 31/03/2020 - 16:07

Permalien
I write to my friends on social networks. I don't call my friends as often as I want

Soumis par HBELL le dim 29/03/2020 - 22:26

Permalien
Hello my friend , i m asking if you have a moment this weekend to meet you i m looking forward to hearing about your new job

Soumis par Nguyen Thao le dim 29/03/2020 - 07:02

Permalien
Hi everyone, hope you're nice everyday. in theses day, I and my friends and many people stay at home because of Covid 19. I don't make plans with friends by email, we usually use Fackbook messenger, zalo messenger on mobikephone.

Soumis par Ángel M le sam 28/03/2020 - 21:06

Permalien
In Mexico is more easy to communicating and planning by WhatsApp.

Soumis par cuneyt le mar 24/03/2020 - 11:20

Permalien
Hi everbody, I am here again. I am always at home these days because of covid-19. I live in turkey. I speak my friends by whatsapp and video chat. I think,It is important for everyone. I just go out for shopping. I don't meet anyone without mywife an my son. You should be careful. I belive. We will won. The coronavirus is not bigger than our measure. Take care of yourself

Soumis par Laura1184 le mar 25/02/2020 - 09:31

Permalien
In my country we don't get plans by e-mail, it takes too much time? more faster will be by wats up, this messenger very popular in my coutry. In our really life we don't have enugh time to meet with friends, it is so dificult... Especialy if you have children.

Soumis par Ana Cardoso le ven 24/01/2020 - 21:10

Permalien
Usually, I make a plans with friends by whats app. I use on email other thinks.

Soumis par Dariusz le mer 22/01/2020 - 21:39

Permalien
I don't make plans with my friends by email. We usually create our plans by phone using apps like messenger, We change messages, sometimes we are ringing.

Soumis par shahhoseini le lun 13/01/2020 - 14:12

Permalien
No, I don't make plans with my friends by email. I usually phone calls with them.

Soumis par tvo69 le ven 10/01/2020 - 16:25

Permalien
Yes, I often make plans with friends by email.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le jeu 26/12/2019 - 12:11

Permalien
I make plans with friends by what is up mobile application .

Soumis par Nilar Htun le lun 18/11/2019 - 08:52

Permalien
Normally, I didn't use email to make the plans with my friend, just we use group messenger for sharing information and if we have changes plan, we use via phone.

Soumis par Manoji Jayatilleke le mer 13/11/2019 - 15:24

Permalien
I don't use emails to chat with my friends. I use phone calls.

Soumis par Ruth le lun 11/11/2019 - 09:04

Permalien
No, I don't make plans with my friends by email. I make them by What's App. I use email to make requests like when I write to my teachers.

Soumis par Yandri le lun 11/11/2019 - 05:29

Permalien
Hello I have three chat groups in whatsapp, the first group is made up of all my family, the second is with my friends from the University with whom I play soccer every Thursday and the last group I talk about what we are going to do the weekend with my friends.

Soumis par Rodrigo Andres le jeu 31/10/2019 - 23:55

Permalien
with my friend don't make plans by email. we always make plans by whatsapp group.

Soumis par DominiqueCamila le jeu 17/10/2019 - 21:47

Permalien
Hi! Well, I have a chat group in wassap, there I talk with my friends and we do plans for going out at the weekends.

Soumis par Reon le jeu 12/09/2019 - 08:35

Permalien
First, I or my friends invite the opponent to do something through LINE or directory. And we make a schedule in convince time for all of us anind decide details of plan through LINE almost every time.
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Soumis par Caterina Siligardi le dim 08/09/2019 - 11:02

Permalien
Usually, I make plans with my friends over the phone. Only once I made an Internet date with a nice chinese friend.But, insteadof asking her if there was anything she fancy eating, I cooked some popular dishes in my country. Then I discovered she was vegetarian!
Profile picture for user BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA

Soumis par BRAHIM ABOULOUAFA le lun 02/09/2019 - 13:54

Permalien
When i want get a plan with my friends. I prefer to tel them by phone instead emails. Because is so easy by phone than by email.

Soumis par Fudhol le ven 30/08/2019 - 05:21

Permalien
I rare in using email to make plans with a friend, I usually talk using phone or chatting-application.

Soumis par salehisalehi65 le lun 19/08/2019 - 17:43

Permalien
in our country iran, as an underdeveloped country, almost people make a plan with each other by call or texting in new app same as whatsapp
Profile picture for user TP

Soumis par TP le dim 18/08/2019 - 04:21

Permalien
I usually make plans with friends by messenger. Sometimes l phone them. However, making plans by email is quite rare unless it is a formal event.

Soumis par cittàutopica le jeu 11/07/2019 - 17:48

Permalien
In the past I used to make plans with my friends above all by call phones, but now I use whatsapp and, less frequently, email.
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Soumis par mtalebi le dim 02/06/2019 - 09:36

Permalien
We usually make plans wit friends by phone call.

Soumis par Ahmadbassam le dim 19/05/2019 - 14:03

Permalien
usually we make our plans by messenger or by phone calling.

Soumis par ahmad 920 le mar 07/05/2019 - 01:12

Permalien
how is this right "that sounds like a great idea" ? "that" here for singular "sounds" noun's plural can you explain it for me ?
Hello In this sentence, 'that' is the subject and 'sounds' is a verb (3rd person present simple form): It sounds like... He sounds like... That sounds like... ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team

Soumis par Saidred le jeu 25/04/2019 - 12:47

Permalien
I make plan of our meetings with my friends by phone

Soumis par ali aiad ali shanan le ven 08/03/2019 - 16:12

Permalien
I make plans with friends by meeting and call phone and messages