Encyclopedia entry

Read an encyclopedia entry on the Taj Mahal to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

The Taj Mahal

The Taj Mahal (pronounced /ˌtɑːdʒ mə'hɑːl/) is a famous mausoleum next to the river Yamuna in the Indian city of Agra. A mausoleum is a building where people bury the dead. The name Taj Mahal means 'the crown of palaces'.

The most famous part of the Taj Mahal is the large white dome in the centre. It is 35 metres high and is surrounded by four smaller domes. The rooms inside the building are decorated with beautiful archways and precious stones in the walls. The buildings are surrounded by gardens with pathways, pools, fountains and green gardens.

The construction of the Taj Mahal began in 1632 and finished in 1653. It was built with materials from all over India and Asia, but the main material is white marble. Historians believe that the materials were transported by over 1,000 elephants for the construction.

The emperor Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal as a burial place for his wife, Mumtaz Mahal. According to legend, he wanted to build another Taj Mahal in black on the other side of the river, but this never happened. During the Indian Rebellion of 1857, many parts of the Taj Mahal were damaged by British soldiers, who took some of the precious stones from its walls. Over the years, the Taj Mahal has suffered from environmental damage, and there have been many government attempts to conserve its beauty.

The Taj Mahal is one of India's most famous landmarks. There are millions of visitors to the mausoleum every year. The Taj Mahal is almost always included in lists of famous buildings to visit and is considered one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. It is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Worksheet139.54 Ko

B1 English level (intermediate)

Soumis par Y le dim 05/07/2020 - 15:26

Permalien
When I was a high school students, I went to Canada for a week to study English. I saw a lot of buildings and views in Canada. Here are some of the things I saw. I went to Gastown in Vancouver. There are a lot of shops and restaurants. It is very fun for us to buy clothes, goods and so on. And I saw the steam clock in this town. Many tourists go to see this clock. I felt so much history when I saw this clock. In addition, I went to Capilano Suspension Bridge and I was healed by Canadian nature. I was very moved by the scenery. These spots are very amazing. I want to go there again.

Soumis par naru le dim 05/07/2020 - 15:06

Permalien
When I was in the second year of highschool, I went to Okinawa as a school trip. And we visited "Shuri Castle". This construction is known one of the world heritage-listed and has a long history. So this construction was profoundly affected by the archtectual styles of Japan and China. That's why It has mistical and beautiful atmosphere. And I felt like I'm in China. To tell the truth, Shuri Castle was burned in the fire recently. But it resome business. You should visit there once!!!

Soumis par Riko le dim 05/07/2020 - 05:34

Permalien
I have seen Opera house of Sydney in Australia when I was a high school student. The outside was so beautiful and I thought the roof is interesting form. I learned the history of Opera house. It is my wonderful memory.

Soumis par ryota le sam 04/07/2020 - 16:06

Permalien
I have seen a lot of famous places. Among them, I especially like Kyoto. Kyoto has a lot of temples and world Heritage. I have been there twice on a school trip. I think the most famous place of the many places is Kinkakuji. Kinkakuji is a golden temple. It was built by Yoshimitsu Asikaga in the Muromachi period. When I went to there in a sunny day, it looked very shiny. But it had been burned down in 1950. Many people worked together to recreate it and in 1955, it is recreated. Since then, it keep this shine without fading. I want to go to Kinkakuji again.

Soumis par Osuke le ven 03/07/2020 - 08:07

Permalien
I have been to Waikiki beach in Hawaii when I was in the second year of high school. I went to there on a trip with my family and relatives in summer vacation. I experienced surfing as well as swimming in the sea. It was my first time to surfing, but I was happy to be praised by teacher who thought me. After playing a lot, I enjoyed the beautiful sunset on a yacht. And I had forgotten to apply sunscreen, so the sunburn on my back was very painful. But that is also a good memory. I think you should go once.

Soumis par Dr Doaa Mahmoud le lun 29/06/2020 - 14:20

Permalien
Alot of famous and historical places are present in Egypt, for example, the Pyramids and Abulhaul statue in Giza, they represent the Pharo's civilization. Also,luxor and Aswan have many temples and statues.

Soumis par Nanami le dim 28/06/2020 - 15:46

Permalien
I have been to Miyajima and the Atomic Bomb Dome in Japan, which are World Heritage Site. You can visit Itsukushima Shrine, and the torii seen from there is very noticeable. Atomic Bomb Museum is next to the Atomic Bomb Dome. There is a lunch box which was burnt black and clothes which were torn due to it and we can understand the tragedy of the war. Also I went to Italy and saw the Colosseum, Mouth of Truth and Blue Grotto. I put my hands in the Mouth of Truth nervously but I felt be relieved that it didn't bite me! I want to go sightseeing more in various countries.

Soumis par Sharif Tayyebi le ven 26/06/2020 - 19:32

Permalien
I have never seen famous places in other countries. But, in Afghanistan, I have seen many landmark places which a lot of tourists visit each year. For example, in Bamian city, the central part of country has many famous historical places, and a lot of visitors visit it each year. Buddha, Band Amir, and Shahre-Ghulghula are very exciting places. Last year, I went to see Buddha statues two times, and I went to Band Amir just once. Shahre Ghulghula was interesting. It was destroyed by Moguls soldiers about 600 years ago, but there are some buildings which remain undamaged until now. It built on a hill and it is made by soil. The structure of this castle is interesting. It has just two doors, and water come to castle from under ground. The fount of water is about a kilometers away from the castle, but there is another castle to keep safe the fountain from enemy. Regards, Tayyebi

Soumis par Jas Mak le mer 24/06/2020 - 07:20

Permalien
I was on a tour to London where I visited London Eye. It's huge and we can see almost all parts of the city when it reaches on the top. We have to get in a large capsule in which 8 to 10 persons can sit. Then it slowly goes to the top where you can enjoy the beautiful scene of the river passing bye. You can also see the Big Ben ,a famous clock tower. It's a must place to visit even if you are not visiting along with your family.

Soumis par yusuke le mar 23/06/2020 - 03:51

Permalien
Kyoto is one of the famous sightseeing spot in Japan. There are many temples and traditional beautiful buildings. I like seeing them. Because my grand mother was brought up Kyoto. So, almost every year, I could visit there. And when I was 10 or 11, I could see so many beautiful temples. And I became a fan of them. I was fascinated.

Soumis par Wakana M le lun 22/06/2020 - 10:20

Permalien
When I was in junior high school, I went to Kyoto for school trip. There has a lot of famous temples and shrines. I went to Kiyomizu-dera temple, Kinkaku-ji temple, Fushimi inari-taisha shrine etc. they are so beautiful places. I really want to go there again. And when I was in high school, I went to Australia. It was my first time overseas. I went to Cape Byron Lighthouse in Byron bay and Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary in Gold coast. The view of the sea from Cape Byron lighthouse was very beautiful. I could see horizon and thought again the earth is round. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is the zee, we can hold Koala and touch Kangaroos. I hold Koala for the first time. They were so cute. Those are very good memory in my life.

Soumis par Ayaka le lun 22/06/2020 - 07:38

Permalien
Unfortunately, I have never travel abroad. Of course I have never done in India. But in the future, I would like to go to many countries and learn about each cultures and customs to grow myself. If I go to India, I want to eat real curry first. I like spicy foods, but I’m not very good at them, so I may have a hard time eating them out, but I definitely want to try them. Then I want to go to Taj Mahal and enjoy its beauty and atmosphere. I’m really looking forward to going there someday. For that dream, I’m studying English and gaining a lot of knowledge now.

Soumis par senes19 le ven 19/06/2020 - 19:34

Permalien
I have visited many places in İstanbul. The city is center of the civilization as you know. The merge point of the Asia, Europe and Africa. Above all else it has cultural and historical temple like Hagia Sophia. You must visit at least one times in your life. As a capital of many empires, it is located in the many sites as symbolic values.

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le jeu 04/06/2020 - 11:53

Permalien
I love travel doesn`t matter where... Maybe famous place is Eiffel Tower in Paris, another French revier- Cannes, Monaco, Nica... In my coutry have many beautiful and natural and with history monuments places... My country is Bulgaria... My country is famous with our Black Sea Resorts, our Mountains ... 7 Rila Lakes, Rilski Monastery... but I can write many things... everyone can see pictures and read about my country in internet :)

Soumis par mouna99 le mer 27/05/2020 - 19:08

I've never travled! Unfortunately I wish I can

Soumis par syah le mer 27/05/2020 - 09:42

Permalien
Well, although I like travelling, I didn't visit famous place yet. However, I have seen many beuatiful place in my country. Such as beach, waterfall, temple, etc. I also had visited Monumen Nasional in Jakarta and Sea Aquarium in Singapore. So sad, that I can't visit Merlion when I was in Singapore. I wish, in the future I can travel all over the world with my lovely person.

Soumis par Deiiv_mizaru le ven 22/05/2020 - 18:47

Permalien
I'm so lucky. When I studied in high scholl I visited Paris, known as the city of the love. All of my classmates and I take a lot of photos in Eiffel Tower, It's extremely beautiful! it's surround of a huge garden where you can relax yourself. My another great trip was Mexic, I travelled when I finish my carrer in the university, it was an enoyable trip! Where I saw the fantastic chichen itza, the most well know landmarks in Mexic which had builded by mayas. And my last trip was Rome, with two friends. It's a wonderful city where you can see a lot monuments for every square kilometre, such as Fontain di Trevi or Coliseum. In my future I would like to travel for Asia and I know another culture

Soumis par Muhammad Bagir le mar 19/05/2020 - 04:52

Permalien
Well, I don't visit many of place. But I wish in the future I coul do that. The place that i've been visit is Monumen Nasional in Jakarta and Buitenzorg Garden in Bogor. It might be nice if I can go travel all over the world.
Profile picture for user JuanManuelLopezGil

Soumis par JuanManuelLopezGil le lun 11/05/2020 - 23:13

Permalien
I have visited many famous places like San Felipe Castle in Cartagena, San Pedro Alejandrino Country House in Santa Marta, The Quinta de Bolivar in Bogotá, Boyaca Bridge, Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá, Guatape Rock in Antioquia - my place of origin -, Lajas Sanctuary in Nariño among other from Colombia; the Guayaquil Pier, The Liberators of America Monument, the Center of the Earth in Quito and other attractive from Ecuador; Valletta City, Mdina "The Silent City" and many more attractions of Malta; The Roman Colosseum, St. Angelo's Castle, Vaticano City, Palatine and Roman Forum among other Italian wonders. For finished also I visited other countries like Turkish, Panamá, Venezuela and a great part of Colombia, my favourite country. I would like to visit Argentina, Uruguay, the United Kingdom, Scotland, Spain, France, Greece, German, Dutchland, Belgium, Egipt, South Africa, Australia, México, Japan, Peru and Russia.

Soumis par Mohamedakram16 le dim 10/05/2020 - 23:36

Permalien
I visited Spain with my family in 2002 and we went to the city of Granada where the Alhambra is located, so we visited the historical castle of Andalus era and we spent a great day !!

Soumis par Daudau0601 le ven 17/04/2020 - 03:52

Permalien
I live in Viet Nam and i have seen Phong Nha cave which is one of the most famous places. It is located in the west of Quang Binh province. It is distinguished by magical beauty with limestone, stalactites and acknowledged one of the cultural heritage sites of the world.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le jeu 16/04/2020 - 14:43

Permalien
The famous places I had seen are so numerous, just to mention few. They includes Taj Mahal, London's Secret Garden, Nigeria Stockexchange, Effitel Tower of Paris and so on.

Soumis par fathibba34 le jeu 09/04/2020 - 11:19

Permalien
My best hobbie is traveling and discovery the world, for this i have visited many places in the world: 1- Eiffel Tower in Paris/ France. 3- musse of louvre in Paris too. 4- the disney land park in Paris. 2- the big ben in London/UK. 3- London eye. 4- Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. 5- London and tower bridge. 6- top kapi palace in Istambul/turkey. 7- the blue mosque in Istanbul .

Soumis par conejo le mer 08/04/2020 - 04:39

Permalien
Well, I don´t really travel that much, however I have seen some famous places in the world. I enjoyed visiting the Statue of liberty in NYC.

Soumis par Mamta Gusain le ven 27/03/2020 - 11:12

Permalien
I have seen many famous places in India as i am from India. like Qutub Minar, The Red fort built by Shah Jahan, Amer Fort, Hawa Mahal, Lotus Temple, The Golden Temple etc. These are also historical monument and were built by famous king of their time. if i get opportunity to visit out of india then definitely go for that as i love to visit different different places.
Profile picture for user Gelashvili Nika

Soumis par Gelashvili Nika le mer 25/03/2020 - 16:07

Permalien
Hi There, I am from Georgia SAQARTVELO . In my country there are many fameos buildings for exsample: Sameba trinity catedral, Narikala castel, Svetitskhoveli church, Gelati and other . there are under protect of UNESCO heritigate
Profile picture for user Smiley1

Soumis par Smiley1 le lun 16/03/2020 - 13:52

Permalien
I'd like to see The Taj Mahal someday and have a spicy curry!

Soumis par jazmin marquez le lun 16/03/2020 - 12:34

Permalien
I have seen few famous places, but I always remember when I visited Mexico, there I could see the pyramids of the sun and the moon of Teotihuacan. These are very surprising because it represents the history of the indigenous peoples of Central America.

Soumis par Selma1987 le ven 06/03/2020 - 18:59

Permalien
One of the famous places I visit was Khalifa Tower in Dubai, it was amazing and there is dancing fountain in front of Khalifa Tower with very nice music..

Soumis par shahhoseini le mer 19/02/2020 - 17:03

Permalien
I have visited many famous historical places in my country and also have seen The Great Wall in China and Mecca in Saudi Arabia in other countries.

Soumis par French Spring le ven 07/02/2020 - 20:32

Permalien
i have seen some famous places in Iran, Indonesia and in Europe . I think that they're a very important part of history so you have to protect them for the other people in the future.
Profile picture for user mtalebi

Soumis par mtalebi le jeu 23/01/2020 - 06:13

Permalien
I live in Shiraz, Iran. I have seen Persepolis and tomb of Hafez.

Soumis par Fikymaulana le dim 29/12/2019 - 11:10

Permalien
I have seen borobudur tample in indonesia. It also recognised as one of the seven wonder of the world. It was a wonderful tample. And become the one of the biggest tamlle in the world.

Soumis par cittàutopica le sam 28/09/2019 - 16:06

Permalien
I have seen several famous places in Europe: apart from Italy (I'm Italian and, in Italy there are the most valuable landmarks in the world) I visited the famous Museums, as Louvre, Prado, Louisiana, Hermitage, Modern Tate Gallery, Kunsthistorisches Museum), etc.

Soumis par popo1011 le lun 16/09/2019 - 07:20

Permalien
I have seen several famous places of Iran such as Bo Ali Sina mausoleum in Hamedan, 33 Pol (thirty-three bridges) and Aaligapoo mansion in Esfahan. meantime I have seen Iya Sofia Mosque and Girl's Castle in Istanbul.
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Soumis par Steve Zarv le jeu 05/09/2019 - 16:50

Permalien
There are two salt cathedrals in Colombia, one of them is located in Zipaquirá, a town next to the capital. ZIpaquirá's salt cathedral is famous for its underground salty caves over 185 meters deep, what makes it emblematic is its religious meaning in each of its facilitites that may you feel peaceful vibes regardless your beliefs.