At the chemist

Listen to a conversation at a chemist's to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Chemist: Hello, can I help?

Customer: Yes, my wife sent me here. I, erm, need something for a sore throat … and I can't stop coughing. It really hurts.

Chemist: Do you have a headache too?

Customer: Not really, no.

Chemist: Well, we have this syrup. And these lozenges.

Customer: Which is better?

Chemist: They're both good. The syrup is more expensive.

Customer: Oh, well … I'll take the lozenges, then. How many do I take?

Chemist: Just one.

Customer: Sorry, I'm sorry. Er, how often should I take it?

Chemist: Just one every four to six hours. Take it before mealtimes. Are you allergic to any medicine?

Customer: No.

Chemist: Then you'll be fine with this.

Customer: Can I get some antibiotics too?

Chemist: I'm afraid you need a prescription for that.

Customer: Ah.

Chemist: You know, you should really see a doctor if that cough continues.

Customer: Thanks. I know.

Chemist: Anything else?

Customer: No, thanks.

Chemist: That'll be £7.49 then, please.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet79.23 Ko

B1 English level (intermediate)

Soumis par D1N0 le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:41

Permalien
I don't get sick very often. Im pretty good at taking care of my health. I wear warm clothes utside in the winter and I eat vitamines. Im just good at not getting sick

Soumis par Niklas27 le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:22

Permalien
I get a cough after i get a cold. And i usually get a cold on the vinter.

Soumis par Faris.E le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:22

Permalien
I get cold in the winter, when I get cold I put on a jacket

Soumis par VildaArvid le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:22

Permalien
I'm getting a cold one time a year. My tip it's just relax and wait it out. That's how I do it.

Soumis par FilipArnkil le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:21

Permalien
I often get a cold in the winter but it often goes away pretty fast when I just relax at home.

Soumis par gabpau1219 le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:20

Permalien
I get a cold or cough maybe 1-2 times a year, but it's not that bad because i'm just home, watching movies and playing Playstation.

Soumis par Abdikarim123 le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:20

Permalien
I dont get cold or get coughs that much but, lemon and tea maybe should help. I think ginger also helps.

Soumis par Axel le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:19

Permalien
I don't get sick so often but when I do I just drink some tee and watch some videos.

Soumis par Rumeysa le lun 07/09/2020 - 13:16

Permalien
In winter, I mostly get cough after the long flu. Most of the time, I avoid use medicine. Instead of that, I try to use natural things that my older family members know. For example, grape molasses is solution to it. I hate to cough in public places because I have to keep going school. And when I have continuous cough, I kind a feel uncomfortable during the lecture.

Soumis par mcambindo22 le mer 02/09/2020 - 23:43

Permalien
Frequently I don't get a cough or cold so I have a very well defences or inmune system stronger. When you feel some flue symptons there are different homemade remedies such as drinking honey with orange juice or drinking juice with guayaba, oranges, onions and honey because its has good amount of vitamin C. However if the symptons are constantly is better going to the doctor.

Soumis par Rinaa le lun 24/08/2020 - 23:30

Permalien
First, I tried to boost my immune system by taking enough vitamins from fruits and vegetables, I prefer to drink smoothies with berries and lemons. Rarely I get a cold or flu, and when I have it I try to manage in my own with paracetamol and much fluids, without taking antibiotics. For me antibiotics are my last remedies, they make our immune system weaker.

Soumis par Asni le ven 14/08/2020 - 00:44

Permalien
A few times a year. But, when I get a cold it lasts one to two weeks. I recommend to rest, take vitamin C, drink a lot of water and infusions. For me, medicines are my last remedies. I try to avoid them as much as I can.

Soumis par Tamires Cristi… le dim 02/08/2020 - 09:49

I rarely get sick, sometimes I just get a cold. Tamires Cristina de Lima
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Soumis par Hennadii le jeu 30/07/2020 - 11:55

Permalien
Unfortunately, I get a cold every year. It's hard to avoid that in our climate. We have quite cold autumn - November, first of all, with its rains, winds, and even early snow. Our winters are often changeable. Today it can be cold and snowy, but tomorrow the sun is shining and all the snow becomes slush. As a result, your feet are wet and you meet a cold. I frequently have a rheum in winter so my pockets full of paper napkins and lozenges for sore throat. That's why I love summer so much and hate our autumn, winter, and even spring with its "April weather".

Soumis par IKEDA le mar 28/07/2020 - 15:03

Permalien
I have a cold about twice a year. I get sick easily when the season changes. On the other hand, I rarely have flu. I think that it's better to have enough meals, take some medicine, and sleep well to recover from cold.
Profile picture for user Fredd

Soumis par Fredd le jeu 23/07/2020 - 17:44

Permalien
When I get sick I really suffer. I don´t usually go with a doctor because I prefer to use syrup instead lozenges.

Soumis par Hn0062 le lun 20/07/2020 - 20:41

Permalien
I rarely get a cough or a cold, but despite that I have a cold, I don't like to go to the doctor, because I wouldn't like to eat medicines not at all. When I suffer of cough or headache and feeling dizzy, I have to go to doctor and I aske from them prescribed an ampoule or more than one. Personally, I think we can cure for it ourselves by some fruits like lemmon, orange and hot water. Additionally, you can rest at the home.

Soumis par martin olivares le sam 11/07/2020 - 05:42

Permalien
I often go to a pharmacy to buy some pills or something! But I have a cousin who's a doctor and he's always telling me that I can't self-medicate because that can give me more problems. When I was a kid I spent a lot of days in the hospital because I couldn't breathe.

Soumis par senes19 le ven 10/07/2020 - 10:58

Permalien
Generally I have seldom a cough luckily. Always I'm careful to not do go around when I sweat. And also we should pay attention that we are not in the side effects of staying between two opened windows. If we eat ice cream or drink a milk, absolutely we should drink a water.

Soumis par Miho Watanabe le lun 06/07/2020 - 07:25

Permalien
I get a cough or a cold once or two times a year, so I'm almost always fine. And I eat healthy foods, exercise a little, and sleep 7~8 hours every day to keep my physical condition. So if you don't want to get a cold, I recommend you to live a healthy and good life.

Soumis par wahbi baklouti le jeu 02/07/2020 - 21:03

Permalien
I'm lucky that rare when I get sick and get a cough or a cold. most likely due to the weather in my country.

Soumis par Sharif Tayyebi le jeu 02/07/2020 - 08:17

Permalien
When I was a child, I usually had sore throat every summer time, and sometimes I experienced cough and cold every fall and winter. But I hadn't taken any medicine for that until I came to university. I usually ate onions for sore throat and got hot water for cough. Even if I had could, I usually preferred to take traditional medicines which was very helpful. After I came to university I couldn't find traditional medicines, so I had to take tablets or even sometimes I had to see a doctor and took medicines which he/she prescribed me. Now, I usually get sore throat in the summer or could and cough in the spring or fall. I usually take paracetamol, but sometimes I should see a doctor. I think we should avoid from taking medicines if it is possible. I hope your healthy for ever. Thanks, Tayyebi

Soumis par Nagato le ven 22/05/2020 - 17:27

Permalien
This year I spent the winter in the desert the wether there is warm so i never got a cough or a sore throat , as specialist in this area I want to give an advice to every one have a cough or any illness that he should see a doctor and dont use the self medicine.

Soumis par Austin le lun 18/05/2020 - 06:09

Permalien
I often get flu at least once in a year, especially in winter or raining season, normally I had some symptoms about cough, fever, runny nose, thus, I will take sick leave to rest more in-home and drink as much as water I can, keep myself warm, drink vitamin c, but if the cough and fever continue I will see a doctor, so this way I can overcome the flu.

Soumis par Massimo le ven 08/05/2020 - 08:16

Permalien
Good morning, I usually get a sore throat when I sweat in the wind, it happened about once a year. But I’ve finally learned this thing and so I can just avoid it. It’s important for me swimming in the sea during the winter, cold water helps me to be better.
Profile picture for user dinhhang

Soumis par dinhhang le ven 08/05/2020 - 07:43

Permalien
I often get flu as least once a year. I usually go to sleep early and drink a lot of water. I like to eat hot soup with ginger and pepper or chilly since it makes me sweat a lot then I feet better. And I also drink vitamin C, or drink orange juice. this way I can overcome the flu.

Soumis par BlaiChan le jeu 07/05/2020 - 10:04

Permalien
I often get a cough or a cold especially in the raining and winter season. I always put a great care in myself in either of those seasons. When I go outside I bundle up to keep body warmly, even stay home though. I drink tea with ginger , take soup and have fresh fruits. If the couch continues I go to see a doctor.
Profile picture for user rerre

Soumis par rerre le sam 02/05/2020 - 01:34

Permalien
I used to have a terrible cough when I had sinus crisis. Homeopathy cured me.

Soumis par Gabriel Rojas Esté le mer 29/04/2020 - 16:24

Permalien
Thank god I am quite healthy. So, I can’t remember when I got the last cough or cold. Maybe two years ago? If you got a cough or a cold I recommend you relief the pain whit an herbal tea, go to the nearest pharmacy and get syrup or lozenges. If the pain doesn’t stop you should go to a Doctor.

Soumis par teya10 le lun 27/04/2020 - 19:12

Permalien
this year i had cold three time, to relieve myself i took a verbena tea and i ate oranges because it contains vitamine c and i took some aspirin wich is an anti-inflammatory because i had fever and headache

Soumis par Ahmed shady le mar 21/04/2020 - 19:59

Permalien
i usually have a cold and flow in the winter season ..
Profile picture for user JuanManuelLopezGil

Soumis par JuanManuelLopezGil le mar 21/04/2020 - 00:49

Permalien
Two times per year: in April and November, usually.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le ven 17/04/2020 - 21:38

Permalien
Not often. I recommend victims to see a doctor.

Soumis par Daudau0601 le jeu 16/04/2020 - 04:45

Permalien
i often have a score throat and cough. Actually, i'm having a score throat. It's so uncomfortable. But i don't drink medicine or syro, i hate it hihi

Soumis par micaela le dim 12/04/2020 - 02:58

Permalien
Hello. I'm an allergic person, the symptoms of allergy are similiar to a cough or cold, so I can´t notice which one is which one. I have twice allergies per month. To avoid cough or cold I recommend you to eat citric food, such as orange, lemon, tomato, etc.

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le jeu 09/04/2020 - 13:27

Permalien
I have flu... often :/ Even just before 1 week I was sick...and I was isolate at home, like prevention. I try to drink a lot of fluids, squееze lemon and drink, I try to drink tea with ginger, honey and lemont...but not too hot. I use syrup when I have gough, lozengets because I have and sore throat and nose drops, more vitamins, if I don`t have vitamins I eat many fruts and make different salad at home :)

Soumis par conejo le lun 06/04/2020 - 03:36

Permalien
I am a very healthy Woman, but if I get a cough or a cold, if I feel really bad I might need go to the hospital. Then I try to take care of myself and eat healthy food every Day and do some exercise.

Soumis par César Árraga le dim 05/04/2020 - 01:26

Permalien
To be honest I got a cold the last week due to change of seasons (summer to autumn). I went to chemist, next he gave me a pair of tablets and then I came back home immediately because of the lockdown on throughout the country.
Profile picture for user Nikolaos Stavrianakis

Soumis par Nikolaos Stavr… le dim 22/03/2020 - 10:17

Permalien
Hi!! I don't get a cold or a cough very often. Anyway, if I have a cough or if I get a cold I drink green tea and buy from the chemist a box of lozenges or a syrup. Sometimes it's possible to have a fiver and a really bad headache then I have to see a doctor. I can't get antibiotics without a prescription. Finally at this time because of the situation of coronavirus everybody with cough and fever or a sore throat may have to self-isolate, again to reduce the spread of the coronavirus and call a doctor. Nikolaos

Soumis par Crunch01 le lun 09/03/2020 - 11:53

Permalien
I live in Jura Mountain, and the snow is too cold. I am not often sick because it is very dry. If you wear hot clothes and you eat good foods to our region ( cheese, meal) you are never sick.

Soumis par shahhoseini le mer 26/02/2020 - 14:29

Permalien
I haven't suffered a cold this year but occasionally cough. Currently, traditional medicine has progressed in the universities of Iran, and when I sick, use some medicinal plants.
Profile picture for user Smiley1

Soumis par Smiley1 le jeu 13/02/2020 - 14:00

Permalien
I usually get a cold every year. But strangely enough, I haven't got a cold yet since I take a sauna regularly.

Soumis par pacha809 le jeu 13/02/2020 - 09:19

Permalien
Every year in winter, I have sinusitis. It is chronic sinusitis. So I have headaches and a stuffy nose, especially at night. And so I have very bad nights for about 8 to 10 days. Only antibiotics can relieve me.
Profile picture for user mehrazin

Soumis par mehrazin le dim 02/02/2020 - 17:25

Permalien
How often do you get a cough or a cold? What do you recommend? fortunately i have seldom got a cold or a cough, but iv got a cold 3 month ago. I recommend the consumption of the natural vitamin c , strongly. I myself drink the mix of orange and kiwi juice . 4 glasses a day when I feel getting a cold. one of the other useful prescription for you is eating the steamed pomegranate and the steamed turnip, never forget to consume lemon and garlic as the so helpful in order to treat in time , it makes you revive and you see how you are energetic again ,then the symptoms of disease disappeared .as possible as you can you should avoid to consume chemical medication and antibiotic . they just make your immune system weak.

Soumis par JuanVillegas le sam 25/01/2020 - 14:19

Permalien
In very rarely I have a cough or cold, usually I eat very well and take multivitamins, but in order to prevent this type of symptoms I drink a lot of orange juice.

Soumis par vidialzara le mer 22/01/2020 - 12:05

Permalien
I don't know why but I usually get a cough during an exam. It disturbing me and makes me can't concentrate. I usually drink warm water with lime juice, honey, and cinnamon powder in it. It pretty much helping me to relieve the cough.