Holiday home adverts

Read two adverts for places to stay on holiday to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

City flat

Beautiful two-bedroom city flat five minutes' walk from the cathedral. Fully equipped kitchen, living room with a large sofa and chairs, big TV and balcony. The balcony has space for four people to sit and gets the sun in the mornings, and the flat is light and warm. It has Wi-Fi and fast internet. The upstairs bedroom sleeps four people, with two double beds; the downstairs bedroom sleeps two in single beds. The flat is perfect for families and is near shops, bars and restaurants.

Farmhouse

Four-bedroom farmhouse in the countryside. All of the four double bedrooms are en suite with luxury shower and bath. Farm kitchen with barbecue, tables and chairs outside. Great for groups of friends. The supermarket is half an hour by car and you can take a train from the village into the city. Escape from normal life for a few days as we have … NO INTERNET and you can only use mobile phones at the bottom of the garden!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Worksheet57.23 Ko

Soumis par Asni le mer 16/09/2020 - 22:06

Permalien
For a holiday, I'd choose a house in the countryside and near the sea where I can enjoy nature with my family.
Profile picture for user shelly

Soumis par shelly le mar 08/09/2020 - 10:31

Permalien
I would like to choose my holiday in the countryside near sea with my family. Every morning we can enjoy the first sunlight, maybe in the evening we can take a shor walk on the beach. Living in the monotonous city everyday, I really need to escape from air pollution and noise, and put the mobile phone aside for a week. Thinking nothing for a while will be a good way to improve our physical and mental health. Also, the house needs to be suitable, with all facilities in case we want to cook some healthy food and play some small games.

Soumis par sonjoy le dim 06/09/2020 - 11:38

Permalien
Actually, i prefer the place which one is come and quite and far away from city life,yes it is countryside. I think we visit different places for getting relaxation and finding trouble free life, in that sense farmhouse will be one of the best place for enjoying my wonderful holidays.According to passage, as there is no internet in Farmhouse so we can utilize our stunning time with gossiping and playing games.This is good sign to close to each other and nature.

Soumis par Faheem Khan le mar 18/08/2020 - 13:10

Permalien
i would like to choose farmhouse because our family is large. so we can takes ourself easy

Soumis par Maria19 le lun 03/08/2020 - 21:49

Permalien
I would choose a farmhouse. My family and I prefer pastoral, quiet and relaxed places to hear the birds chirping and see the nature around us.
Profile picture for user sribashu30

Soumis par sribashu30 le mar 28/07/2020 - 03:06

Permalien
I would like to know the correct answer: 1)Lisa is an actor and a writer. 2)Lisa is an actor and writer. In my opinion no 2 is correct as only one article (here- a) is applicable in case of same one person. I case of no 2,I think here two indefinite articles are wrongly used to refer two persons whereas only one person is there. Help me please to know the correct answer.

Hello sribashu30,

Both are correct.

You asked the same, or a very similar, question on another page (here) and I explained there the reason. Please post questions once only as multiple postings only slow the process down.

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le mar 21/07/2020 - 12:32

Permalien
Holidays during COVID-19? We have a lot of options and fly to anywhere around the world on virtual reality. ;)
Profile picture for user Berny Herrera

Soumis par Berny Herrera le mar 21/07/2020 - 03:54

Permalien
Personally, I think that it depends on the people and the place they have lived whole their life. I mean, A person that has lived all his life in a city, definitely would prefer to take a vacation in the countryside and vice-versa.

Soumis par fatfat le sam 11/07/2020 - 12:59

Permalien
Both houses have pros and cons. I would prefer to living at house in the city but I d prefer to for holiday the other house.

Soumis par Ronake le mar 30/06/2020 - 00:45

Permalien
I definitely would choose the house in the countryside. Enjoying nature, fresh air and eat healthy food is the best way to spend your holiday. Escaping from air pollution and noise, and making skip the internet and social media for a week, will be a good way to improve our physical and mental health. Also, the house seems to be suitable, with all facilities that you need to prepare meals and to have fun.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Soumis par Hennadii le mar 23/06/2020 - 12:21

Permalien
I would prefer a countryside house of course but my two kids drive me crazy without youtube and TV

Soumis par haydeecolli le ven 12/06/2020 - 21:13

Permalien
I prefer the flat because it's near the city.
Profile picture for user Onur

Soumis par Onur le jeu 04/06/2020 - 13:20

Permalien
Due to living at flat in the city, I would choose farmhouse for holiday. It's absolutely good for getaway.

Soumis par eshan.saif le mer 03/06/2020 - 16:50

Permalien
I will prefer the farmhouse to spend few days for staying away from my monotonous city life. Where i will be able to be closer to the nature and share my inner feelings with my loving ones.

Soumis par Shaista le mar 02/06/2020 - 10:34

Permalien
I'd like ti spend my holidays in village having all benefits.......so i can relax there far away from city and that's noise etc......where i don't want to use mobile....just wish to spend these holidays with my family with relaxation ❤

Soumis par Thucuoi le mer 27/05/2020 - 10:07

Permalien
i prefer a city flat to a farmhouse for my holidays because I love the luxury and modernity.

Soumis par casssioesousa le mar 19/05/2020 - 19:59

Permalien
I'd like to rent a beautiful home holiday in the beach at the place that have sun, where I could enjoy it.

Soumis par Nyanko Neko le sam 16/05/2020 - 14:48

Permalien
I prefer Farmhouse to Flat city because i love graden, flowers ... I like staying near the nature , so i can cook barbecue , chatting with my family and friends at the garden. The atmosphere is so good

Soumis par Muhammad Bagir le sam 16/05/2020 - 04:32

Permalien
i prefer to spend my holiday at the farmhouse

Soumis par c.lopes23 le ven 15/05/2020 - 01:12

Permalien
I prefer the farmhouse, because I like staying near the nature.

Soumis par Raimbek le jeu 07/05/2020 - 11:04

Permalien
I prefer farmhouse, because it's quiet place and yes i live in the city.

Soumis par Alfaprime le mer 29/04/2020 - 16:35

Permalien
I prefer bouth, maybe farmhouse in summer and the flat in autmn or winter when is the Christmas time.

Soumis par Djoo le jeu 23/04/2020 - 05:09

Permalien
I don't like living in city. So in a holiday i would choose a farmhouse away from noise and crowding

Soumis par Ronake le dim 19/04/2020 - 23:27

Permalien
i would love to chose farmhouse, because in countryside you really can rest and enjoy the holidays. There are fresh air, healthy food, nature, cerenty away from crowd and traffic and you can stay at the garden and have barbeque.

Soumis par Yernar le jeu 16/04/2020 - 10:57

Permalien
Hello, I think these both places has their individual features. If you own them all you can spend sometime in the flat then in the farmplaces. Are you agree with me?

Soumis par Melsaied264 le sam 11/04/2020 - 02:10

Permalien
Actually I prefer to spend my holidays in the countryside rather than the city, because there in the countryside the life is quiet and I can not find traffic or crowds ,the air is fresh an healthy,the best thing I love there is the sunset time ,I really enjoy there.But as the countryside is my favourite place there are some things bother me such as the weakness of the internet and the absence of some services I may need it daily like supermarkets,hospitals and education centers

Soumis par FRANCY JACQUEL… le lun 06/04/2020 - 22:42

I know new people now that I travel to Malta and I am studying English

Soumis par FRANCY JACQUEL… le lun 06/04/2020 - 21:39

Permalien
I would choose a place on the beach, or a place in the mountains, away from the city and noise
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Soumis par zabiullah le lun 06/04/2020 - 06:37

Permalien
frankly i would select farmhouse for holidays...bxz it is perfect no one cant annoyed us as well as we can find natural foods, drinks and nature. when i was little boy all my family lived in the countryside i remeber good things in the village but when my parents moved to the city we have lost natural foods. after that we have not happy life...

Soumis par Van Duc Nguyen le mer 18/03/2020 - 08:36

Permalien
i'm choosing farmhouse because i'm found quiet, fresh air and nature

Soumis par upendarreddy le dim 15/03/2020 - 01:14

Permalien
I prefer to visit farmhouse on holidays. currently, i am living in Canada so i often spend at farmhouse in the summer time on holidays because i work everyday during weekdays in the city. i feel like tired so i want to go to outside for relaxation.I used to live in india, we have a big farm i spent at my farm on weekends and holidays with my family, friends, and relatives.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Soumis par Sergei Baskakov le sam 07/03/2020 - 12:11

Permalien
I'm choosing the farmhouse because I'm fond of the fresh air and nature

Soumis par pacha809 le mar 03/03/2020 - 09:33

Permalien
I want advertise you too my flat close to the North Sea. It's a little flat for four people. the bedrooms sleep four people with two double beds.One bathroom with a shower. The fully equipped kitchen is open to the living room with TV and WI-FI. The large balcony has space for four people to take meals or enjoy the sun. You can park your car in the garage downstairs. This flat is perfect for a family with two kids. It's located 300 m from the beach, shops, bars and restaurants. In summer, on the sea wall, or in town there are many activities for adults and kids.

Soumis par Alaa Basha le jeu 13/02/2020 - 08:45

Permalien
I wouldn't mind going both. I don't used to have such a trip for a holiday, however, I need to go to a one with my family.
Profile picture for user Hajer sea

Soumis par Hajer sea le lun 03/02/2020 - 12:06

Permalien
Hi, I think I choose the farmhouse because I need to relaxing and stay away from the noise.

Soumis par serena lee le ven 10/01/2020 - 14:50

Permalien
we usually stay at the village on vacations. I often choose farmer house which has table outside, private restroom, and especially full equipments.

Soumis par shahhoseini le mer 25/12/2019 - 13:49

Permalien
I live in a large city but my father and my mother were born in a small beautiful village in the countryside. I usually go to this village for the holidays.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le lun 23/12/2019 - 16:30

Permalien
I choose the countryside house to stay for my vacation , I meant the farmhouse. because I like the quit places and like also the open areas and the green area too.

Soumis par frfandinod79 le jeu 28/11/2019 - 16:13

Permalien
I would like the farmhouse, because it is a relax place full of nature where we can rest.

Soumis par Marcos Lozano le sam 23/11/2019 - 14:41

Permalien
When I was young, I usually went to holidays to my town, in the province of Badajoz. For me, the more great years of my life.
Profile picture for user hoailinh

Soumis par hoailinh le mar 05/11/2019 - 02:33

Permalien
I was born in a small countryside near Hanoi city. So, I will choose the flat city for my holiday. My family has five people while the flat city has room for six people. It's wide for my family. The flat city near shops, bars, and restaurants. So, my family can go shopping, go to the restaurants on foot. Moreover, the flat city has Wi-Fi, my family can watch famous movies together on big TV. I think the flat city is suitable for my family on holiday.