A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Worksheet81.85 Ko

Soumis par Cecilio Franzoni le ven 27/11/2020 - 14:56

Permalien
Is important to understand to our customers, some times cash flow is a issue. but our business needs a good chash flow too.

Soumis par David_Tham le jeu 26/11/2020 - 15:25

Permalien
Yes, I ever do some special payment term for special client.

Soumis par DJ Singh le mer 25/11/2020 - 07:42

Permalien
I am far from business terms and tactics but sometimes I made exceptions in my daily life which is not my cup of tea but I challenge myself to do the things I have never done or difficult to do.

Soumis par Helena Clever le dim 22/11/2020 - 16:51

Permalien
I'm totally an art person who doesn't understant what economy and business are. But, however, I know what the difference betweer customer and supplier after the lesson!

Soumis par foch04 le jeu 12/11/2020 - 14:18

Permalien
I have never been a business man and never had a deep commercial relationship with somebody or organisation. In the case that has been given things would depend on how high the confidence is which we carry out to our counterpart.

Soumis par Jorge Fabricio le sam 07/11/2020 - 16:08

Permalien
Important excercises to know, How can to help a customer.

Soumis par masia le ven 06/11/2020 - 21:28

Permalien
I think give a favour an important client it will be a good idea, because that is useful for both company.

Soumis par John A. le mar 27/10/2020 - 09:34

Permalien
It's always good to build a relationship of trust with customers

Soumis par Karim.Karim le mer 21/10/2020 - 16:55

Permalien
Yes, I've been worked for an employment agency. There was some payment late by our clients in another countries so we have been making exceptions.

Soumis par Elbay le mer 21/10/2020 - 08:12

Permalien
I am currently working as Accountant and I wanna say that favours are good for both sides,but if you overdo it for your customers it does not matter they are loyal customers or new customers you will get problems in the future with management.Because it is a waste of time for company to "play" with cash flows of the company for customers frequently.If you wanna establish powerful company you need to keep down amount of recevibales from your customers.

Soumis par AprilApple le lun 19/10/2020 - 16:27

Permalien
As a student, I haven't had any business of my own nor have worked in a company but, I have had some experiences in purchasing chemicals, equipment and consumables for the laboratory and for my studies. Based on my experiences of purchasing and payment, some companies do extend the payment based on regularity of purchasing, prices of items or quantities of items purchase. I think is important to give some exceptions provided the customer is a regular customers and honest, so that customers will be happy and will come back to contribute to the business again next time.

Soumis par cesartorresh16 le dim 18/10/2020 - 23:11

Permalien
Yes but I think it would not depend on me, if not on my boss. First, I would ask if we can do a favor to a client, and giving her answer would be done.

Soumis par Leo Mandujano le dim 18/10/2020 - 03:50

Permalien
I would do the same, because it´s important to give a back up to the clients, but it depends on the benefits the organization has, because in this case both parts were benefited, but there must be situations where it could be risky so you can´t do the same.

Soumis par Fernando Pardo… le sam 17/10/2020 - 00:46

Permalien
I don´t know if it´s a favour but when I used to work in a family bussines, a client forgot his cellphone, I noticed about that so I took it, I wait a call asking for it and finaly I received the call and I told her that her cellphone was in the bussines so she can pass and pick her phone up.

Soumis par vsanchez75 le ven 16/10/2020 - 13:23

Permalien
Yes, when you see the historical of your clients maybe you can make some exceptions It allows to grow up the trust each other.

Soumis par tittoo11 le ven 16/10/2020 - 09:00

Permalien
I learned new meanings of some vocabulary such like cash flow, extension. It was useful lesson.

Soumis par Francisco Malagón le mer 14/10/2020 - 03:56

Permalien
Never to new customers Maybe for old customers, with all conditions and payments plans

Soumis par Deisi cruz le mar 13/10/2020 - 23:05

Permalien
If they are reliable customers to whom I have already done that kind of favor there would be no problem because I would already know them, but if they are new customers there would have to be some way for me as a company not to lose and to ensure their payment.

Soumis par juan felip le mar 13/10/2020 - 01:20

Permalien
It seems very important to me to be a simple and cordial person capable of understanding the needs of others, taking as a position and condition that of the client as long as this favor is completely necessary and that it does not risk the integrity of him or me.

Soumis par nialataria le sam 10/10/2020 - 10:37

Permalien
There are exceptions to every rule )) She has good problem solving skills. I learned new words such as favour, extension and cash-flow.

Soumis par mcambindo22 le jeu 08/10/2020 - 23:18

Permalien
Yes, it is important to back clients up, but depends on the trade-off and if the benefit that I receive from my client is better than my opportuny cost. According to the audio the first order was enormous and the second was the same, and both orders represented a bigger benfit.

Soumis par narcisa le mar 06/10/2020 - 21:29

Permalien
If we can we always make an exception for same trusting clients.We are appreciating there effort to call us and make an agreement.

Soumis par ssyeem2012 le lun 05/10/2020 - 21:05

Permalien
yes i did so many times .cause if you need to maintain a good relationship with your client sometimes you must need to make some exception & do some favour for them.

Soumis par angelcherrylina le ven 02/10/2020 - 10:46

Permalien
I can't ask this question, because I am only a student, but I suppose that in the future I will make exceptions and do favours, because a real life is unpredictable, so all people periodically meet difficultes. I think it is very important not to be indifferent and to help out people if it is neccessary. But you should be careful and accurate, because there are some people who can deceive you, so you should exactly know you can trust a customer.

Soumis par cittàutopica le lun 21/09/2020 - 17:22

Permalien
I can't answer this question, because I don't work in the sale's sector, but I think doing favours or making exceptions for important clients are an understandable conduct by the companies.

Soumis par ErnestoV le sam 19/09/2020 - 05:16

Permalien
I think it deppends of my boss. I would ask first him to know if we can do a favour.

Soumis par Josapc3 le ven 18/09/2020 - 02:10

Permalien
Well,I think it's possible make some exceptions with a customer but firts, you have to see what kind of customer is it. For example: if is a regular customer with a good payment record, you can make an exception even you can offer extra credits or discounts to fidelized with your services.

Soumis par Malopez le mar 08/09/2020 - 23:54

Permalien
Most of the time I prefer to receive the payment in the time that was agreed, but in some occasions I have made some exceptions. This is something that is really appreciated by the customer. In my company we have strict payment terms because the monthly operation depends of the punctuality in payment invoices.

Soumis par katyatorres le mer 02/09/2020 - 02:13

Permalien
I think that I can do a favour or make an exceptions when the terms do not affect me or the company.

Soumis par ArtemenkoArtem le lun 31/08/2020 - 21:14

Permalien
These tasks are interesting. For your record, I remember making different orders on shopping websites and checking, I am talking about phone calls with deliverers. After they see placed order, they call you and ask details. You are able to choose any payment terms of delivery, that suit you, are more convenient as I would say. The most amazing part is when delivery confirmation is sent to your e-mail. I am a shopaholic. Last time I had made the order and shop employees did me the favour: I got the discount for english courses. Such a generous acts attract new customers, especially when you don't put up with cash flow problems and don't have tight budget. But big companies just provide you discounts and avoid making exceptions or helping you out unless you work or own shares there.

Soumis par pilargarciach le dim 30/08/2020 - 10:03

Permalien
Sure. I do ever did. I had a good customer and I allowed her to paid me a dozen bags in two pay

Soumis par Moses Habarugira le ven 28/08/2020 - 08:22

Permalien
Thanks alot for creating this wonderful and skilful website. It's my pleasure

Soumis par Rinaa le ven 21/08/2020 - 20:24

Permalien
I'm working as accountant, and my clients need to provide me their invoice and other financial data, so I would prepare their financial statements on time. But sometimes I make an exception for loyal clients. I give them an opportunity to bring them later if they aren’t ready. Even that I have my own regulation, sometimes I become flexible about deadlines. A small deviation from norms sometimes is needed if you want to collect more clients and to keep the older.

Soumis par davicovalencia79 le ven 21/08/2020 - 13:54

Permalien
I haven't made exceptions just for important clients, sometimes it depends for the situation, in fact, if some client needs an exception and it's a good client, I can help it.

Soumis par walaazahran24 le mar 18/08/2020 - 13:38

Done , Yes , i made an exception before to gain customers

Soumis par Ugulhan le jeu 13/08/2020 - 12:47

Permalien
I hope if we work in a delivery company such as Upsala when the customers would call with their problems, then we should do favors for them because we don't like to lose our clients in the company.

Soumis par DEYA0510 le lun 10/08/2020 - 21:27

Permalien
I had made exeception with the terms of payment of my clientes. If they are good customers we can be flexible.

Soumis par Eden alemayehu le dim 09/08/2020 - 10:45

Permalien
I think it’s good to be flexible in business and that’s what I learned from the conversation.by communicating they create win win situation for both of them

Soumis par IKEDA le dim 09/08/2020 - 05:43

Permalien
Actually, I have few chances to ask clients some favors, on the other hand, I try to be flexible to our clients' requests.

Soumis par aniley le ven 07/08/2020 - 12:06

Permalien
I think only this execption is had with loyal and importan clients . The company should have segurity that they won´t have problems in the future

Soumis par Asni le lun 03/08/2020 - 22:55

Permalien
I think making exceptions for important customers is something usual in the companies even if the company has its own regulations, sometimes they'd have to be flexible about the terms to maintain good business relationships.

Soumis par tolunaykan le lun 03/08/2020 - 20:22

Permalien
If I were a supplier, I usually do a favor for my clients to keep them with me. Because for longer relationship between customer and supplier, I think there must be such a pleasant favors.
I think this is the best idea, good to win customer’s with a nice approach. And I usually preferred such kind of suppliers To buy anything I want . They got a good heart