Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet74.59 Ko

Soumis par ss le jeu 09/04/2020 - 23:08

Permalien
Yes, we do have a library at the community center. Last time i had visited along with my toddler, they have a children section there were they can draw and colour on the drawing sheets which have printed with pictures of Disney characters. Eg. Princess Elsa, Smurfs etc. I don't regularly visit library. Some times.

Soumis par Sultan2020 le jeu 09/04/2020 - 21:23

Permalien
IN FACT I HAD SOMETIMES I GO TO THE LIABRARY IN MY COLLEGE YES I BORROW SOME BOOKS ABOUT MY DEPARTMENT

Soumis par Nan Mya Sin Th… le mar 07/04/2020 - 14:58

Permalien
That listening veido is good and useful for my english language listening skills.
Profile picture for user shinhaphura

Soumis par shinhaphura le mar 07/04/2020 - 03:35

Permalien
He...he... I listen to this conversation and had laughter quietly because of Mr. Librarian's voices, ;)

Soumis par Aya Sayed le dim 05/04/2020 - 19:59

Permalien
Yes, I have a local library .I go there every 3 monthes .And I usually read books, listen to music and do chating.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Soumis par zabiullah le dim 05/04/2020 - 08:23

Permalien
where i live it has two libraries sometimes i use library books for researches. these libraries have different rules if you want to take out books from the library you must have library card and if you want to study in the library you must be quit as well as siwtched off your phones...
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le jeu 02/04/2020 - 13:32

It's a shame that libraries are now closed due to COVID-19. (ノ_

Soumis par suganth le jeu 02/04/2020 - 08:40

Permalien
yes,i usually goes to my college library atleast once in 2 weeks ,generally I go to library to take books which is suggested by my course instructor :)

Soumis par Abdulilah le dim 29/03/2020 - 21:06

Permalien
Yes I had , when I was studying at university i was going to read books and writing my home work and borrow some books in engineering department

Soumis par Andrew Brown le dim 29/03/2020 - 17:52

Permalien
From where I live, we don't have a local library, but we do have one in school so often times I visit the library in school, mostly reading, newspapers, magazines, books on business, stocks and finance.

Soumis par Yuzana le dim 29/03/2020 - 16:37

Permalien
There is a local library in my town, Lay Kay Kaw and the library has just been built. It was located in the center of town and fantastically decorated with wall paintings. I have never been to there because it has not opened yet. If it opes, I will use wifi to download documents which are really essential to improve my language skills.

Soumis par Daudau0601 le dim 29/03/2020 - 16:15

Permalien
when i was a student, i often went to the library to borrow book and novel
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Soumis par Sergei Baskakov le jeu 26/03/2020 - 12:55

Permalien
I have many libraries near my house but I don't have a library card because I learn everything I need on the Internet

Soumis par AlejandraIlud22 le lun 23/03/2020 - 02:27

Permalien
I have a library near me. I haven't visited a library in four years. Now I consult all the task on the internet.

Soumis par Diana Avila le sam 21/03/2020 - 21:46

Permalien
When I was in the school I frequently visited the library in the center of the city and there my classmates and I search about different topics for our graduate work

Soumis par Lakbir othman le sam 21/03/2020 - 15:16

Permalien
Yes, I had it when I was studying at university and i go there when i wanted read a book or do exercices

Soumis par HMida le jeu 19/03/2020 - 16:28

Permalien
I have an university library. it offers us to borrow some books. We can take up to three books today. And, we have one week to read these books. For evey day we are late there is a fee of five dollars.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le ven 06/03/2020 - 12:09

Permalien
Whenever I visit a library, I wish I could live there as a bookworm, but actually I prefer reading books lying down! ;)

Soumis par Ali samer le ven 06/03/2020 - 10:23

Permalien
iam studying English i want practice with any one ???
Hi! I studing English the same but my problem is when I become speak English, I`m so upset and I think I looking stupid, when I can`t explain something and prefer writing. How I can running of that problem? :/

Hello Stela,

It can be difficult speaking in a foreign language, can't it? We can feel a little bit silly, and think that other people might laugh at us. But is this how you feel when someone from another country tries to speak your language? Do you laugh at them? I expect you don't, and the truth is that we all react in this way. We know learning a foreign language is not an easy or quick thing, so we are encouraging and helpful. There's no reason for you to imagine that people won't be the same way with you.

Confidence is key, and the more you speak, the more confident you will be. When I learn a foreign language, I speak all the time to myself at home, or to my dog (who is very patient). I describe what I'm doing, I have 'conversations' with the radio or television, I describe what I can see in front of me and so on. In this way I learn to speak more quickly, even if my grammar is not perfect, and when I need to speak to somebody else it is much easier. I think this is the best advice I can give: speak at home and when you're alone - it really will help.

Soumis par Ali samer le ven 06/03/2020 - 10:22

Permalien
it was a small library in my collage .I went ther when need book or surces for presentation

Soumis par Talha Munir le mar 25/02/2020 - 18:27

Permalien
Yes, a very small library we have in our village, I can't come there(library) in my life, but I see it daily when I go to school, that's on my way..

Soumis par Eswar le sam 22/02/2020 - 06:08

Permalien
Yes we have a library Which is 1 km From My Home , Me and my friends often go to library. to find the new books and magazines in the library.And read the books completely. It was great excitement to read the stories Which is published in magazines.

Soumis par IMEN ABBES le jeu 20/02/2020 - 16:11

Permalien
Yes I have a local library. I go there one time per week. I prefer read my lessons there and sometimes I borrow some books.

Soumis par Yenn nguyen le mer 19/02/2020 - 09:47

Permalien
No. But I often go to the library in the school and borrow it. Just use library card you can borrow books . If you lose and tear, you have to pay for it. And must take care of it.

Soumis par Adriana Menegale le jeu 13/02/2020 - 16:10

Permalien
Yes, I have a local library, but I don´t usually go. I prefer to search for books on the internet.

Soumis par siciidgaagaale le mer 12/02/2020 - 17:39

Permalien
yes but not alot of libraries ,i can say it is because our local people do not read alot . for me the last time i visited library was two months ago . i borrowed a book put i have not backed it yet .the limited time was 3 weeks .

Soumis par Vidyasagar le ven 07/02/2020 - 03:30

Permalien
Yes, we have a local library. It is 2 km away from my home. I don't go there often. Whenever i go there, i go to read books. I don't have a library card.

Soumis par Sanja le jeu 06/02/2020 - 14:30

Permalien
Yes, I go there twice a month. I borrow psychological books for me and some books for my children, especially fairy tales.

Soumis par MaryaSun le jeu 16/01/2020 - 15:33

Permalien
Hello, near my home there is not a library so i can't spend my afternoon there! but i hope one day to live near a library and i woul spend there alla my afternoon ..i want lose myself around the shelves and i wold like to breath the smell of the books.

Soumis par serena lee le lun 13/01/2020 - 03:52

Permalien
there is a small library in my country. I usually come there at the week end with my sister. We can borrow maximum 4 books and back after 2 weeks. All of time we study in the library after school time because it is quiet and cool. When I grow up, I will built another library which is bigger and more modal for children.

Hello serena lee

That sounds like a great ambition!

Please note that LearnEnglish is made for adults, LearnEnglish Teens is for people aged 13–17 and LearnEnglish Kids is for people aged 12 and younger. If you are younger than 18 years old, please take a look at whichever site is most appropriate for you.

All the best

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le lun 23/12/2019 - 13:01

Permalien
I like to browse books in a library. It's quick and easy!
Profile picture for user Mohamad-Altaha

Soumis par Mohamad-Altaha le dim 22/12/2019 - 13:15

No, I don't, but if I need some books, I can find them on the Internet as a PDF

Soumis par shahhoseini le ven 20/12/2019 - 05:46

Permalien
There is a public librariy in my city. when I was student, I was going to there and studied but I prefer to work at my home now.

Soumis par elit.sw le mer 27/11/2019 - 17:34

Permalien
the nearest town to us is a college town, and there is a very big and beautiful library there. I used to go there frequently in the summer but now I am to busy. And of course I studied or did my researches there.

Soumis par Rehameisa le mar 26/11/2019 - 09:09

Permalien
ilike the way that librarian explained the rules.and how he help student to got all help ..when i was student i did not got that dealing

Soumis par Mehrafz le dim 24/11/2019 - 07:28

Permalien
Yes I have a local library. I usually go to the local library once a week. I borrow books, or Cd's . I sometimes go the library to read magazines or newspapers . Since there is free internet in the library I also use there to do my research . I usually participate in the book critic meetings in the library in which the writer is invited to talk about his/her book and answer the audience questions. Sometimes I wish I could be a librarian working in the library.

Soumis par Dariusz le ven 22/11/2019 - 01:40

Permalien
Yes I have a local library but I rarely go there. When I studied I went there many times.
Profile picture for user johnny depp

Soumis par johnny depp le ven 04/10/2019 - 06:42

Permalien
Thanks so much all of you. you have a good performance in this site. I think English is very good language.

Soumis par Josep Anton le jeu 03/10/2019 - 18:06

Permalien
Yes, I have a local library. Usually I go to library once a month. I go for a borrow books and too for read newspaper and magazines

Soumis par Izzati Saufie le jeu 03/10/2019 - 14:57

Permalien
I have completed the lesson for Finding The Library. The level I chose is Beginner A1

Soumis par nurnadiahazlan le jeu 03/10/2019 - 10:31

Permalien
I have completed the lesson for "Finding the Library". The level I chose is Beginner A1,

Soumis par nurul ashikin le jeu 03/10/2019 - 07:30