Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet76.2 Ko

Soumis par ss le jeu 09/04/2020 - 23:20

Permalien
I generally greet and introduce each other and the talk will continue upon the scenario how we met. May be a company meeting so the talk will be about the job profile and so on.

Soumis par Aya Sayed le dim 05/04/2020 - 20:31

Permalien
When I meet someone for the first time through the work ,I start to ask him about his name and job and I discusse with him about my job to get infomation that help me .
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Soumis par zabiullah le dim 05/04/2020 - 11:24

Permalien
this is actually very helpfull i am trying to learn new things...

Soumis par Silambarasan le ven 03/04/2020 - 10:47

Permalien
often, I talk about my name, my nationality and my job , and some in information about working

Soumis par suganth le jeu 02/04/2020 - 08:55

Permalien
first I will ask his/her name , then where is he/she from, then i will ask question that depend on where we are ,like if we are in college I will ask him/her about their department and so on....

Soumis par Yuzana le mar 31/03/2020 - 06:36

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself and ask them about who they are, where they came from and their interests to build a good relationship.

Soumis par Abdulilah le dim 29/03/2020 - 21:19

Soumis par Andrew Brown le dim 29/03/2020 - 18:08

Permalien
For me when I meet new people, depending of their status and age, I introduce myself first, also if this person is my age then things become for warm and much friendlier, so I start by introducing myself then based on the reply we start to talk on those lines.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le sam 28/03/2020 - 01:27

Permalien
Usually, when I meet people for the first time what I talk about is getting to know him or her by name and exchanging pleasantries greetings as well as other details that relates to where we meet.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Soumis par Sergei Baskakov le ven 27/03/2020 - 16:41

Permalien
I don't stick to one conversation scenario. I talk about different things. I don't want to be like a robot in a conversation.

Soumis par Nane le mer 25/03/2020 - 20:26

Permalien
Hi! When i meet people for the first time, i ussualy talk about studies, professions, cultures, families, etc. If people are from other countries It´s important to know about cultures and hobbies. I ussualy talk about the company where they work and about their carrears. Regards,

Soumis par HMida le sam 21/03/2020 - 12:23

Permalien
When i meet people for the fisrt time, i talk about his job and where he is from. after a period, may i to ask about his family. If this person is interesting, i plan news meeting with him.

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le mer 18/03/2020 - 13:27

Permalien
When I meet new people, depends of situation if it`s people in new workplace, manager- I introduce myself. When people are other kind- no manager, no boss or collegues. We can speak different things and see what do you think about things connected with our live. Maybe now, we can speak about COVID-19...

Soumis par upendarreddy le lun 16/03/2020 - 23:12

Permalien
when i meet new people firstly , i introduce myself then i ask his/her name, job, location where they stay.If the conversation goes well between us then i may ask their phone number or social media such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook for future contact.

Soumis par Ali samer le ven 06/03/2020 - 10:41

Permalien
before a few weeks i met my colleague we have talked about the last dayes when we ate togather and playing and everything beautiful we did it

Soumis par jason2295 le mar 03/03/2020 - 23:04

Permalien
When I meet someone for the first time I usually ask about its life and family. I also like to talk about the hobbies and favorite things to do in the free time.

Soumis par Talha Munir le mar 25/02/2020 - 18:36

Permalien
When I meet people to first time I usually talk about games, because I am player so I am interesting in games so that's why I company to those people who is interesting in games..

Soumis par Eswar le sam 22/02/2020 - 06:26

Permalien
i usually talk about his/her name ,profession, Location,Nationality etc.

Soumis par IMEN ABBES le jeu 20/02/2020 - 16:25

Permalien
Usually, when I meet people for the first time, I ask them for their names, where they come from and what are they working.

Soumis par Khin Nyein Chan le jeu 20/02/2020 - 14:21

Permalien
When I meet someone,I start say that "Hello,Nice to meet you,My name is..........,"

Soumis par Yenn nguyen le mer 19/02/2020 - 13:29

Permalien
I will asking about name, old, schools, where do you live , jobs, hobies ,ect... And nice too meet you

Soumis par s4lemm le mar 18/02/2020 - 15:59

Permalien
First I like to know name, where is the person from, talk about job, recreation and other stuff.

Soumis par siciidgaagaale le mer 12/02/2020 - 18:03

Permalien
Hi my group mate my name said i am going to share you something that i like to talk about new people. as you all know it is not good to ask people personal question or affaris ,so i always set off conversation rage from name to work. fistly i ask them their names in polite way then ,i give them more information about my self and the others be confindent to talk theirs.

Soumis par Vidyasagar le mar 11/02/2020 - 09:04

Permalien
I ask his/her name. I usually talk about his/her whereabouts, nature of work, interests, likes and dislikes.

Soumis par serena lee le mar 21/01/2020 - 09:07

Permalien
What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? I usually talk about something like my favourite dishes, news, lastest movie. Honestly, It is difficult to talk with strangers because I don't know what subject they would like to discuss. I am going to be comfortable to talk just in case that is my friends.

Soumis par MaryaSun le jeu 16/01/2020 - 15:56

Permalien
Hello, when i meet someone for the first time i usually ask him/her to present himself/herself. I want to know, for example, his/her name, his age, where he/she lives, something about his/her study and why he/she is here. But i also like to ask him/her something about his/her strenghts and weaknesses and something about his hobbies and his/her free times.

Soumis par shahhoseini le sam 21/12/2019 - 14:23

Permalien
When I meet someone for the first time, I asked him or her about general information such as: name, nationality, workplace and etc.

Soumis par elit.sw le mer 27/11/2019 - 18:11

Permalien
I usually ask their name and job, I ask where they are from if they are not local Swedish or local, and I sometimes ask where they live but not always people here are too shy and it is not too easy to make contact.

Soumis par Dariusz le dim 24/11/2019 - 00:19

Permalien
When I meet someone for the first time I usualy ask about basics informations like: name, where he or she lives, work, hobbys. Only convenient questions not awkward.

Soumis par Laura390 le sam 09/11/2019 - 15:45

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask about of your profession, where this person born and live, what do you like to do and I offer my help.

Soumis par Nasser_mo le lun 04/11/2019 - 13:39

Permalien
when I meet people for the first time, I'Il start getting to know them, then offer them my help, and finally say goodbye.

Soumis par Pawani le mer 30/10/2019 - 12:31

Permalien
When I meet person for the first time I usually talk about the name, work place, family and nation. Asking privet information should be limited.

Soumis par annjha_ le sam 05/10/2019 - 15:38

Permalien
I have completed the lesson for meeting a new team member. The level I chose is beginner A1

Hello annjha_,

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Soumis par Izzati Saufie le jeu 03/10/2019 - 15:13

Soumis par nurul ashikin le jeu 03/10/2019 - 07:35

Permalien
I have completed the lesson for "Meeting a New Team Member". The level I chose is Beginner A1

Soumis par Nurshaera73 le jeu 19/09/2019 - 09:53

Permalien
I have completed my lesson, topic Meeting a new team member. Now, I learnt something new that I can use in future life.

Soumis par Khairunnisa Bi… le jeu 19/09/2019 - 09:28

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons of Ordering in a cafe , shopping for cloth and meeting a new team member. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par Dayang Norsyaf… le jeu 19/09/2019 - 09:16

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons and its fun!

Soumis par raza.umar le lun 16/09/2019 - 17:56

Permalien
well, I mostly make a discussion about the personal information and the work or study type questions. It provides me the enough information to know that person.

Soumis par bawk san aung le jeu 29/08/2019 - 03:05

Permalien
I shake a hand first. And exchange our family names and clan names. After that we would be family in our culture. Where he is from is as important as what his name is.We can scrutinize if he is our nationality.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le lun 19/08/2019 - 18:52

Permalien
When i meet with somebody for the first time we exchange the names , nationality , workplace and so on .
Profile picture for user Caterina Siligardi

Soumis par Caterina Siligardi le sam 17/08/2019 - 18:03

Permalien
It depends. I ask for the place where the person lives, his work, and the usual stuffs. But, at first time I don't ask for too things, because I don't like looking like a nosy woman.

Soumis par Longan1991 le sam 17/08/2019 - 10:12

Permalien
When I meet people for first time, I usually talk about age, place that they live, current job,...ayer that we tell our job, hometown or we will discuss problems of life around. As I know, there are some countries in the world whee many people don't like anyone asks in detail their private lives or age, they consider as impolite behaviours and don't respect other people. In my country, when we meet acquaintances, we can am many things, including private things. With the others, we talk about general problems, breaking news,...asking private information should limit