Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Worksheet76.2 Ko

Soumis par Shreya chakma le lun 08/02/2021 - 10:25

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time, First let's get acquainted. Then I want to know about them and want to know where they live and what they do.

Soumis par Rao786 le ven 22/01/2021 - 07:37

Permalien
Hi British council! I think all comments are useful or helpful for all beginners. When I Frist meet with my friends I try to make /offers a joke, make a group friend laugh and enjoy to my meeting and then ask him how are you? Studies and so alot thing about him.

Soumis par Leila77 le jeu 21/01/2021 - 11:06

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time I usually introduce myself and we talk about our job and our studies.

Soumis par In le jeu 21/01/2021 - 07:35

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time I use to introduce myself and ask about the other person about themself like, but they do, what hobbies they have, how long is they here, etc.

Soumis par IrinAristova le lun 18/01/2021 - 18:47

Permalien
when I meet people for the first time I usually ask What's your name, What are your favorite things to do

Soumis par Ngu Wah le jeu 14/01/2021 - 13:43

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time, I ask them like that; What's your name? Where are you from? What do you do? Where do you live now?

Soumis par German le lun 11/01/2021 - 03:50

Permalien
I usually talk with the people that just met about their hobbys, their family, information about profession and job.

Soumis par Gilda Di Biagio le ven 08/01/2021 - 23:38

Permalien
when i meet people for the first time i speak of the environment where we are.

Soumis par paola Beltran le ven 08/01/2021 - 16:56

Permalien
when i meet for the first time i ask about your self, i ask where are you from, and what do you do, what is your favorite food.

Soumis par Danilo Filipe … le jeu 07/01/2021 - 16:13

Permalien
When i meet people for the first time i usually try to be a nice and greatfully guy to them, as much as I can, to leave a good impression and to create a good environment. In general, firstly I start to introduce myself and if it possible I make a joke or try to make the people laugh. Then I ask them about basic information like name, age and for example which country do they from.

Soumis par Rafaela1 le jeu 07/01/2021 - 13:03

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time, I start with a small talk, like weather, hometown, favorite meals....etc...

Soumis par karinaelizabeth le jeu 07/01/2021 - 00:03

Permalien
When I meet new people I used to talk about general information about me and about the other person.

Soumis par May Sabai Phyu le dim 27/12/2020 - 15:36

Permalien
When I meet the people for the first time, normally I introduce myself. And then to start a conversation, I asked what's your name, where are you from, are you fine, are you ok in everything and so on.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le dim 27/12/2020 - 04:32

Permalien
When I meet first time I ask name, where 's from? I like to talk with new people. When I go another country or another state I talk to people I try to know his culture, languages, behaviour and other many things. I like meet new people.

Soumis par glen le dim 20/12/2020 - 20:18

Permalien
In general, I normally ask people the first time I meet was what is their name, how is he/she, where she/he came from and what she/he does here for, and what I can do to help him/her. But when I meet a person first time at work, ask his/her name, department, is she/he a new hired employee? And I usually talk about work.

Soumis par shahimian le ven 18/12/2020 - 04:31

Permalien
I'm interested to know what his or her name is and where she or he is from and where worked here.

Soumis par Sadflute07 le jeu 17/12/2020 - 21:08

Permalien
When I meet a new people in my job I try to be nice with her as much as i can to leave a good impression to her starting to introduce myself then ask her What is your name Are new practicing this job or you just move from another place

Soumis par serena93 le mer 16/12/2020 - 20:30

Permalien
The first thing I do when I meet someone is ask what's his/her name and then I start the conversation asking for example in which city does he live in and what does he do for a living.

Soumis par Alex.BC le mar 15/12/2020 - 21:18

Permalien
When I meet person for the first time I introduce my self and I ask his name. Then I ask Where he is from and What he does. As I understand it, the second sentence does not need auxiliary verbs because they are statements. Isn't that right?

Soumis par Tatiana barrera le mar 15/12/2020 - 16:59

Permalien
When I meet with people for the first time I usually talk about the basic information of them as name, age, and likes to can continue with thematics in common

Soumis par Manal le mar 15/12/2020 - 07:22

Permalien
in the first, saying hi and ask him about his name additionally ask about his local country, and start to laughing with each other .

Soumis par AhKhd le lun 14/12/2020 - 15:20

Permalien
I ‘m facing problems on how to write the sentences under the correct speaker. That means when I listen to conversation, I couldn’t understand a whole story in one time.

Soumis par Elplshe le mer 09/12/2020 - 12:02

Permalien
Usually, when I meet someone to first time, i aske her haw are u

Soumis par MJH le sam 05/12/2020 - 03:29

Permalien
I talk about the weather or football. If the conversation is good I like talking about the topic more personal.

Soumis par mrelvinaliyev le ven 04/12/2020 - 07:53

Permalien
When first time I meet with new people I start to ask his or her name and where are from. Then we are talking about other things.

Soumis par m.someah le mar 01/12/2020 - 13:48

Permalien
I usually start a conversation with a stranger about the situation that we are in. As an example, if I was in a crowded bank, I would say that ‘the bank is full of people today’.

Soumis par Sergio1994 le sam 28/11/2020 - 16:02

Permalien
When i meet a new person first introduce myself, then aks what does he/she do at this moment and flow the conversation..

Soumis par luongpq le mer 25/11/2020 - 03:23

Permalien
First of all, Definitely is questions about information such as name, age, ... Then, You can talk about your hobbies, your department, and ask the same thing with your new friend. You also exchange the phone number, facebook or information about social network together.

Soumis par Diallo le mer 18/11/2020 - 21:51

Permalien
When I meet a new friend I ask him/her : what his/her name?..

Soumis par Nurieta le jeu 05/11/2020 - 21:45

Permalien
When I meet people for the first time, I usually talk about, what he/she does, where is he/she from, where does he/she live ... and lots of things more :)

Soumis par Kaique Machado le mar 03/11/2020 - 00:07

Permalien
Normally I introduce myself and ask to the person what's your name? where are you from? And others questions and then I talk about interesting things

Soumis par Pedro Javier le dim 01/11/2020 - 14:09

Permalien
Usually, when I meet someone, I ask them questions about work, study, likes, dislikes, where she or he is from, everything depends on the person and situation in which we meet ourselves

Soumis par alexiaimogen le ven 23/10/2020 - 05:52

Permalien
Depends on the condition I think. For instance, if we're at the event, I will start to talk about the event/something that they like. The topics are more about things that related to the surroundings.

Soumis par cuba le ven 23/10/2020 - 00:43

Permalien
When i meet a new persone i usually talk about work, music likes or maybe speak about a movie. It depends also the way the conversation takes plce and if the other fellow likes smart conversations.

Soumis par Nway le mer 21/10/2020 - 14:22

Permalien
I usually talk about our names, jobs, hobbies, ask where we live and share our experiences concerning about jobs and hobbies. Invite the home.

Soumis par Carlos Cabrera le mer 21/10/2020 - 00:29

Permalien
I usually talk about the hobbits, work, sports and the other things.

Soumis par GhazalQadriRazvi le lun 19/10/2020 - 21:50

Permalien
I usually ask people their name first, obviously. Then about their whereabouts, like whether they are studying or working.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le dim 18/10/2020 - 15:49

Permalien
When I meet new people I ask his/her name, class standard and where he/she from, which University he/she study. I Love meet new people and make new friends. I also involved in social services.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le dim 18/10/2020 - 11:15

Permalien
In India, usually when someone meet new people.They ask your name with surname so that people know that your caste and where you live and so many other things. India is a country of diversity.

Soumis par Ugulhan le mer 14/10/2020 - 19:02

Permalien
It depends on the place, where I have met the people. If I will meet due to job opportunities then I will focus on my career field and where I had my graduate degree or what skills do I have?. If it would be on any friend's birthday then I would speak to them informal style. Like my hobby or my favorite music.

Soumis par DEICY le dim 11/10/2020 - 16:29

Permalien
I'm very shy, I prefer that other person introduce me, so I feel more confident

Soumis par fais_4al le mer 07/10/2020 - 16:06

Permalien
well , i would ask their name and where are they from than i would do to the same , then i might ask him or her about their interest , hobby , maybe if we get along together i would ask for weekend plans , well it depends on the situation and the mutual interest .

Soumis par Moon Wathan le mer 07/10/2020 - 14:50

Permalien
for me, I usually ask their name and where are they from. After that which school did they attend? That's all.

Soumis par Hyuka le ven 02/10/2020 - 14:47

Permalien
To me, I usually ask their names and where they are from.

Soumis par habibao.medo le mar 29/09/2020 - 18:16

Permalien
first i ask them about their name ,the stuff they love and what we have in common

Soumis par abdalkreem seaf le dim 27/09/2020 - 17:02

Permalien
I ask him ,her of name ,job, and where are u from