Easter

Easter is the most important festival of the year for most Christians and a holiday for many others. Read on to find out more about it.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the article and do the exercises.

The meaning of Easter

Easter is a Christian festival which marks the resurrection of Jesus Christ. For many Christians, Easter is a celebration of the triumph of life over death, and a very important time of the year. Many non-Christians also have a holiday at this time, so it is a popular time to travel or spend with friends and family. We see lots of symbols of new life at Easter, especially eggs, chicks, flowers and rabbits. These symbols go back to ancient pagan traditions which celebrated fertility, rebirth and new growth after the long, winter months.

When it is celebrated

The dates of Easter change from year to year but it usually falls sometime between the end of March and the end of April. In Western Christianity, Easter Sunday is the first Sunday after the first full moon of spring, which starts on 21 March. The Eastern Orthodox churches, which use a different calendar, have a slightly different way of calculating Easter and usually celebrate Easter a little earlier or later.

Holy Week

The week before Easter is called Holy Week. The first day of Holy Week is Palm Sunday, which is the Sunday before Easter. Many Christians celebrate this as the day that Jesus entered Jerusalem and people threw down branches from palm trees on the road to welcome him. Four days later is Maundy Thursday, which marks the Last Supper, when Jesus ate bread and drank wine with his twelve disciples. The following day is Good Friday, which is significant for Christians as the day that Jesus was put to death on the cross. Many Christians believe that Jesus was killed and buried in a tomb on the Friday and that God raised him from the dead on the Sunday. So Easter Sunday is a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus.

How Easter is celebrated

In many countries there are religious processions during Holy Week, and practising Christians attend special church services. On Palm Sunday, many churches bless palm branches and people put them on the ground during processions to mark the day that Jesus arrived in Jerusalem. The Last Supper on Maundy Thursday is celebrated in many Christian traditions in the form of the Communion, when believers share bread and wine. Good Friday is traditionally a day of fasting, reflection and sadness. A lot of church services start at midnight the night before Easter Sunday with the lighting of candles or, in Greece, fireworks. This represents the triumph of light over darkness. On Easter Sunday, churches are filled with flowers representing new life, and at home chocolate Easter eggs are given as presents.

Other Easter traditions

There are many different Easter traditions around the world. In some places, people eat lamb on Easter Sunday, but there are many other foods, such as hot cross buns – spiced, sweet bread buns made with raisins – that are traditional in the UK.

In some places in Eastern Europe, boys and girls throw water at each other, while in Corfu, Greece, there is a tradition of throwing pots and pans out of windows and from balconies, breaking them on the street. In the United States, a tradition of wearing new clothes at Easter has evolved into making Easter bonnets – fancy hats decorated with flowers, rabbits and other symbols of spring. For fans of crime fiction, Norway is the place to be at Easter, when it has become traditional to read crime novels and solve mysteries.

Eggs are a popular part of Easter celebrations. Traditionally, people paint chicken eggs and decorate them with bright colours to give as presents. Nowadays, chocolate eggs are more popular than the traditional kind, especially with children. They are often hidden around the house and garden so that children can find them in an Easter egg hunt.

Do you need to improve your English?
Whether you need better English to travel or meet new people, our online English courses will give you real practice. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.

Worksheet77.56 Ko

B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Soumis par meknini le ven 22/07/2022 - 01:55

Permalien

Unfortunately no. I have Christian friends who celebrate but not in a big way. I could occasionally see some wearing new clothes and sharing big dinners but I haven't seen the eggs hunting like I did while I was living in Michigan when my friend's nieces would happily go looking for these carefully painted eggs hidden not only in the yards but also indoors. This could be probably due to most of my friends are bachelors and Easter tradition befits family more, I think. Or, maybe because there is only a small percentage of Christians in my country and most are living in big cities and almost none is living in rural areas thus I have never ever encountered any of the locals Christian celebrate it except on air.

Soumis par jyoti Chaudhary le ven 22/04/2022 - 13:15

Do you celebrate Easter?
No, I don't because I'm from in different religious nobody here celebrates this easter festival but I love Christian people and crunch.

Soumis par Mario00 le lun 18/04/2022 - 18:18

Permalien

Yes, I do. I'm a devoted Christian who goes to church every Sunday, the Easter Sunday is just more important than the other Sundays. The atmosphere at this celebration brings me lots of joy and happiness. It is a good occasion which brings people together, that is one more reason to celebrate Easter.

Soumis par mariakhar343465 le mer 13/04/2022 - 17:09

no, i don`t
my family is not religious. me too. but we have a holiday and always spend time together. my mum cooks different dishes and my granny cooks cakes (yummyyyy). it is a great time.

Soumis par Phillip B le lun 11/04/2022 - 04:28

Permalien

I wish there was an easter festival in my country, so that we can have one more fascinating holidays.

Soumis par Thinthinmyoe le dim 06/06/2021 - 12:57

Permalien
I'm a Budalism.But,I have seen the Easter celebrations.They are very interesting and happy.
Profile picture for user Bignon

Soumis par Bignon le ven 02/04/2021 - 20:08

Permalien
Yes we celebrate Easter where I live because my country is mostly Christian. On holy Saturday night we have the midnight church service, where people are very well-dressed, they put on white clothes to remember the light of Christ. On Sunday family gatherer to eat a savoury meal cooked by our mother. But we don't eat chocolate or sugary foods at all.

Soumis par Barbara_Sz le sam 27/03/2021 - 10:40

Permalien
In my family we live celebrating Easter. My mom always decorates with painted eggs and an egg tree our home. She makes traditional foods such as gammon, devil eggs, sweet bread and a cake for celebrating Easter. This time our family spend lots of time together.
Profile picture for user danisep

Soumis par danisep le mer 03/02/2021 - 21:52

Permalien
Yes, we call it the holy week we don't do anything related to eggs or chocolates, bunnies like in American traditions, we go to church and participate in special celebrations is a week to meditate, reflect and share.

Soumis par WalkeD le jeu 21/05/2020 - 15:01

Permalien
We don't celebrate Easter, because we are Muslims. However our friends and neighbors, who are Christians, always congratulate and give us some traditional meals, such as coloured eggs, pancakes and etc. It is awesome! This is the one reason why I'm waiting that event)

Soumis par raxmatovdilmurod le lun 27/04/2020 - 11:43

Permalien
I do not celebrate Easter, because I am muslim.

Soumis par Sofia Kudelska le mar 14/04/2020 - 19:14

Permalien
I celebrate Easter every year, because I follow the rules of the Greek Catholic Church, which mentioned in this article. But, in my country, there are many different customs of celebrating Easter. For example: in my region it remains tradition don’t sleep on Easter Saturday, as it is believed that, who don’t sleep all night, will bring yourself good luck for the whole year

Soumis par Lila13 le lun 13/04/2020 - 17:05

Permalien
Yes I do ! I like decorating my house and cooking for Easter. Children love the Easter egg hunt in the garden. Easter bells are a strong symbol of Easter in France.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le lun 13/04/2020 - 11:38

Permalien
What a lovely table! I wanna join in the celebration!

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le lun 06/04/2020 - 17:01

Permalien
Yes in Bulgaria we celebrate Easter Day, We have as a many places Maundy Thursday, we coloured our chicken eggs,but our tradition is 1st egg should to be in red color, because that`s symbol of Jesus blood .... ; our Saturday if we didn`t coloured eggs, we color then... we make sweet bread, eat lamb meat and drink rakiq :D .... We break the eggs two by two, which person egg is firmly, he will be healty... We have and other interesting traditions...

Soumis par cittàutopica le mar 31/03/2020 - 16:04

Permalien
I celebrate Easter every year, according to the rules of Catholic Church, which are explained in the article above. Furthermore, in my country, there are many different customs of celebrating Easter with regard to cooking. For example: in my region we are used to making characteristic sweets in the shape of a doll for the little girls, of a horse for the little boys and of a heart for the adults.