Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet59.47 Ko

Soumis par Ahmad_Khalil le mar 21/07/2020 - 11:02

Permalien
I often meet new people, sometimes at work, sometimes at celebrations.

Soumis par Miri85 le lun 20/07/2020 - 10:26

Permalien
I don´t meet people often. Only sometimes in the gym or some new neighbor in the building.

Soumis par syah le dim 19/07/2020 - 13:33

Permalien
Before this pandemic, I often participate many competitions in many places. There I met many new people. But, at this time I meet little new people bacause most of my time is at home.

Hello Nader Ashish,

I'm afraid our audio content is not working right now due to a temporary technical problem. We are working to resolve it as quickly as we can, and apologize for the inconvenience.

Once this is fixed, you are welcome to download any of the audio on our site. Just right-click on the audio player and then choose 'Save As ...' to save it to your device.

Profile picture for user muhammadseif

Soumis par muhammadseif le lun 13/07/2020 - 22:53

Permalien
I meet little new people . I'm at home most of the time. That's so pity.

Soumis par sara1412 le dim 12/07/2020 - 19:38

Permalien
when i change my work place and i participate in volunteer work or going to my friend party .

Soumis par fatfat le mer 08/07/2020 - 10:52

Permalien
If I change my workplace, I meet new people about to be every four years.

Soumis par Dastenova Firuza le mar 07/07/2020 - 15:41

Permalien
Mostly I meet new people at work and when I move from one place to anther. I also meet people at the conferences and telegramm groups.

Soumis par Jasmeen Mughal le mar 07/07/2020 - 07:56

Permalien
Yes. I love to meet people. It gives me pleasure. I feel myself relaxed in good people's company.
Profile picture for user EWS

Soumis par EWS le lun 06/07/2020 - 12:28

Permalien
last times I don't have the occasion to meet a lot of people because we have got pandemic, so many of them stay home for safety

Soumis par jonon le dim 05/07/2020 - 23:33

Permalien
I like to meet a new people evert day because I AM frendly

Soumis par 7Elhoussaine A. le ven 03/07/2020 - 16:07

Permalien
I don't meet a lot of friends every day, because I'm still student so as a student you know all the other students in your class or your school! Nothing new.

Soumis par Ronake le dim 28/06/2020 - 20:28

Permalien
I meet people every day in my job, because I'm working for a huge international company, that have 500 employees, so each day I'm seeing a new employee. This is a great opportunity, to meet new people to have lunch together and share their experiences. Fortunately, they all come from different countries and the culture is different, so every time I meet them, I learn new things from them. It's like visiting each time new places and gaining new experiences.

Soumis par Ragdaalamin le mar 23/06/2020 - 08:44

Permalien
with greeting and smail to let them feel cmfort and welcme. generous at gave them jucse or tea and make small talk.

Soumis par joshnamep le mar 23/06/2020 - 04:46

Permalien
Actually no, although I would love to talk to them but sometimes I feel shy and don't want to approach them
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Soumis par Hennadii le ven 19/06/2020 - 15:11

Permalien
Honestly, I've never been an open person, so COVID-19 hasn't changed my life much. I enjoy time with my family and my very close friends

Soumis par Gessie le ven 12/06/2020 - 18:38

Permalien
I like to meet new people. We talk about us and about our country

Soumis par Hien Thi Ngo le lun 08/06/2020 - 07:46

Permalien
Before Covid-19 I kind of open. I like to talk with new people about social problems. But now, We have to wear mask everywhere outside so I rarely meet new people. I hope covid-19 is going to be control soon.

Soumis par iisrimadanti20 le dim 07/06/2020 - 04:56

Permalien
i always meet new people because my job need a lot to often interactions to people

Soumis par MAE le sam 06/06/2020 - 14:09

Permalien
Actually, it depends on many facts. I always meet a variety of people in school, in the gym, in the supermall or everywhere I came. But now, I am in self-isolation. So I can't meet people for such a long time.

Soumis par Asni le ven 05/06/2020 - 18:28

Permalien
After my graduation, I started to meet new people once in a blue moon. Most of the time, that happens either in the gym, or when I go on holiday in the airport or even after getting on the plane if I manage to start a conversation with the person sitting next to me...

Soumis par eshan.saif le mar 02/06/2020 - 17:46

Permalien
I rarely face new people. But when i travel anywhere alone i like to gossip with new people to enjoy the boring time. Basically in that situation, i am used to meet new people.

Soumis par Shaista le lun 01/06/2020 - 17:08

Permalien
Before covid.....I met alot of people coz I was in london for three months for uni test .....where I met many people and they really helped me in every situation whatever I face .....now we are in lockdown

Soumis par Basem Ali le lun 01/06/2020 - 14:05

Permalien
Before COVID-19 epidemic I used to meet many people in my working especially when I was went to visit the affected families by war but nowadays I meet few people when I conduct only coordination meetings with relevant stakeholders through ZOOM

Soumis par Teresa Chi le jeu 28/05/2020 - 15:10

Permalien
before Covid- 19, i was use to meet a lot of people from different country every day, that's because my school is a language centre. but now i rest at home all the time, metting my friends only online

Soumis par Leonardo Lisboa le jeu 28/05/2020 - 06:24

Permalien
I rarely meet new people, I like to stay home on the weekends, and in the week I just study very hard.

Soumis par amal.araia le jeu 28/05/2020 - 00:58

Permalien
I often meet new students and their parents at the beginning of every school year..
Profile picture for user ILYES

Soumis par ILYES le sam 23/05/2020 - 15:39

Permalien
often in my work I meet a lot new people , that is because type of my work . i have coffee shop this is my work , people coming to my shops to drink coffe or to watching football matches , there is a lot of nois in the shop .

Soumis par facuabel le ven 22/05/2020 - 19:55

Permalien
I always meet people. I like meet people of diferent culture and talking about everythings

Soumis par Nsengir le jeu 21/05/2020 - 12:41

Permalien
This is change. When I was working I was meeting so many people. But Now I am in Corona days. So I can not meet people.

Soumis par Cristhopher le sam 16/05/2020 - 20:33

Permalien
Sometimes I meet new people online, especially through Facebook and Instagram. They are people who have some friends in common with me or people that work in the same place as me. It is good to meet new people in order to expand your friend circle and maybe start doing something new or different.

Soumis par mouna99 le sam 16/05/2020 - 14:28

Permalien
I rarely meet new people I am dissociable person

Soumis par Hrachia le jeu 14/05/2020 - 10:26

Permalien
Unofortunately no. Now I'm sitting all day home because of corona breakdown. Before this disaster It still could happen.

Soumis par Hello from Russia le mer 06/05/2020 - 19:55

Permalien
This happens regularly, but now during the corona it is a little bit so hard.

Soumis par cittàutopica le mer 06/05/2020 - 17:55

Permalien
It's difficult for me to answer the similar question accurately. Indeed I can meet many new people over a week, but it can happen that I know nobody during a month.

Soumis par konatenasty le mer 06/05/2020 - 11:30

Permalien
I often meet people.When i am on the trip i meet different people. We often became good friends.

Soumis par Fatemeh.Najafzadeh le mar 05/05/2020 - 02:08

Permalien
when I take my son to park, gathering, event and ets, I frequently meet new people.

Soumis par PILAR le mar 05/05/2020 - 01:05

Permalien
In my case it is difficult to meet new people because I spend a lot of time in my work and there I don´t have the opportunity to join with others only with my mates. Even though I'll like to join with different groups.
Profile picture for user Bignon

Soumis par Bignon le dim 03/05/2020 - 19:17

Permalien
I don't meet people frequently because I don't travel a lot. But sometimes at work I meet poeple.

Soumis par DANIELAE le sam 02/05/2020 - 00:51

Permalien
At Job is usual I meet people because labor functions requiere that!

Soumis par Kitty pretty le ven 01/05/2020 - 06:35

Permalien
i ever meet someone in 2 pass years ago, and yesterday i meet her.
Profile picture for user Angélique

Soumis par Angélique le mer 29/04/2020 - 15:39

Permalien
I met different people when I went to Spain and Greece. It was very great =). I like meet different cultures, meals, traditions...

Soumis par Youssef Karfouh le mar 28/04/2020 - 14:00

Permalien
i sometimes meet new people at school or at work

Soumis par Ronake le sam 18/04/2020 - 22:43

Permalien
In my job i meet offten new people, usually stakeholders and people that we collaborate. There are people who i saw them once, and people who i have work for a long time together, I'm trying always to be friendly and polite with them.

Soumis par ss le sam 11/04/2020 - 00:27

Permalien
When i step out of the house i get to meet some of my neighbours but these days even that is not possible due to the current situation.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Soumis par zabiullah le jeu 09/04/2020 - 17:37

Permalien
i sometimes meet new people in my work place... bxz i have worked a bank that so many people come to in my office and borrow money...for this reason i meet new people. although i would like to meet foriegn people that they come from onther country. bxz i know new culture, new language, new ideas it can help me to know better our world....

Soumis par Aya Sayed le lun 06/04/2020 - 22:12

Permalien
I rarely meet people . It's difficult to get job through days so I still stay at home until now.

Soumis par Lê Đình Khiêm le sam 04/04/2020 - 15:45

Permalien
sometimes, because I don't go out and I'm afraid to talk to strangers