Episode 01

Philip is the CEO of WebWare, an IT company. He needs to hire a new sales director as soon as possible.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Philip: You what? What do you mean? You've lost the DollarMart contract? Oh, Brian, tell me you're joking! That's our biggest contract and you've lost it! OK ... OK ... yes, I know you've had some personal problems recently. Yes, sure ... yes, I know our competitors have improved their offer, but really, Brian, these are just excuses. Oh, Brian, come on – you failed to meet agreed targets for the entire last quarter. We talked about this in your last performance review and I told you then it had to improve, and to be quite honest – it hasn't. Losing the DollarMart contract is the last straw. No, I'm sorry, Brian, that's it. That's your last chance. I'm going to have to let you go. Let you go. Yes, that's what it means, Brian. You're fired.

Hi, Jess. Can you put me through to Marcia in HR, please? Thank you.

Hi, Marcia. It's Philip here. Listen, I've had to let Brian go. He lost us the DollarMart account. Yeah, but it had been going on for a while, and he just wasn't pulling his weight any more. He'd been warned. His last performance review was really bad. He knew it was coming. So, we'll be looking for someone new and we'll need to decide on who that is.

Who are we looking for? Good question. I was hoping you might be able to help me with that! Here's what I'm thinking and let me know if you agree. Well, obviously, they'll need to have a first degree. Doesn't matter what subject. And then a master's or an MBA, I'd say.

Experience? At least five years' relevant experience in an international company. I want somebody with a proven track record. Oh, they have to be a team player – Brian never was – so strong interpersonal skills. Oh, and I want someone with vision ... yes, 'vision'! Well, I know it’s difficult to define. What I mean is, someone who knows we're in a rapidly changing market, and they can use it to our advantage.

Experience with online sales, perhaps but ... yes, I'd be interested in that. Oh, language skills. I can't emphasise that enough. Not necessarily a native speaker, but they must be very good at English. And another language as well – Spanish, or Mandarin is best.

Does that sound OK to you? Great. OK, can you get an ad out on the website as soon as possible? Oh, and the trade press as well. OK, great. Thanks, Marcia. I want a new sales director by the end of the month. Bye!

Do you need to speak better English at work?
Learn to speak, read, write and understand English in a variety of work situations. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.

Worksheet90.3 Ko

Soumis par Adela Delka le lun 29/11/2021 - 21:18

Permalien

last time I'm applied to job last year in November. My skills are bechelore economy degree, well organisation skills, good in logistic jobs, comunicative person, leader skills, precise and responsible person.

Soumis par mfuenmol le jeu 21/10/2021 - 11:15

Permalien

The last time I applied for a job has been today in the morning. I am going to start to work next moth and I am looking for a not very stressful job in the meantime.

Soumis par gdinunzio le mar 21/09/2021 - 17:41

Permalien
The last time I applied for a job was one year and half ago. I'm longlife learner, tech enthusiast, hard worker.

Soumis par Mehad Gaddal le mer 15/09/2021 - 13:00

Permalien
the Last time I applied for a Job was today morning. For the past 7months I was applying almost every day for different positions because I lost my job due to Pandemic . I am fast learner, task oriented, decision maker ,Team leader, hard worker and have analytical problem solving skills

Soumis par david.alfaro le jeu 26/08/2021 - 03:23

Permalien
Well I am looking for my first job which challenge me with the english skills; nowadays enterprises are more strict with the english skills, so I hope I find one job in an enterprise like these, so I guess I must be persistent and patient meanwhile I continue practicing the language.

Soumis par Genesis Salas le ven 13/08/2021 - 06:35

Permalien
The last time that I applied for a job was 2 year and a half ago. I had to have experience at Import and Export and be fluently in English. However, during my job I do not practice at all my English conversations and I think I am forgetting it. I would like to apply for another job which can challenge me to learn more.

Soumis par Jackelin Espinoza le mar 08/12/2020 - 11:57

Permalien
Currently, I'm applying to positions like a Business Support or Analyst Business, even Sales Representative. My main skills are that I'm committed to deliver quality to the client, also I keeping a constructive attitude when solving the problems and creating a good atmosphere in a working teams.

Soumis par Hill le ven 25/09/2020 - 14:38

Permalien
The last time I applied for a job was last month. Procurement Management was the position I applied for, and this position required several needed skills such as negotiation, communication, good analytical, problem-solving, team working skills.

Soumis par Moody le mar 01/09/2020 - 17:44

Permalien
Last time i applied for a job was last year , The one who was responsible for the hiring asked my about my personal skills , i replied to him that I'm self confidence,self denial,hard worker, bilingual,l can work under pressure,do many task at the same time proficiently

Soumis par Irfan Morkoc le ven 07/08/2020 - 19:29

Permalien
How should I follow my lessons in this section. For example I have finished episode 1 but there is no indicator warning me I did it before. So I have to remember each time. Please help.

Hello Irfan Morkoc,

That's correct. There is no indication on the page for individual users whether or not they have completed a given task. If you want to keep a record then you'll need to organise it yourself. However, remember that repetition and revision are very important. There's nothing wrong with going back to a task you've done once before!

Profile picture for user davorma

Soumis par davorma le mar 12/05/2020 - 17:32

Permalien
I applied for a job 2 months ago. In my opinion, my personal skills are team work and organized.

Soumis par senes19 le sam 09/05/2020 - 13:19

Permalien
Lastly I have applied to an international language school as a receptionist. They desire flexibility working, team experience, good skills at interpersonal relations, convince ability of people. Yes, I have been chosen and worked since one year.
Profile picture for user Nha Ho

Soumis par Nha Ho le mer 06/05/2020 - 03:41

Permalien
The last time I applied for a job is yesterday. My main skills are interpersonal skill, team work, arrange the work suitably and I am also able to work under pressure.

Soumis par GERARD le mer 29/04/2020 - 22:12

Permalien
I have not for donkey years (more than 23 years). My professional skills are those of a bilingual assistant such as : organisation of meetings, business trips, diary and bill of expenses management, drafting/typing of various documents (letters, emails, reports, minutes, spreadsheets ….), follow-up of budgets, bids, contracts, works, orders, invoicing, press review, legal monitoring …. I also worked as a property manager with more specific skills such as draft and management of leases and mandates, monitoring of real estate agents, draft of activities report, follow-up of arrears and solvency proceedings, service charges reconciliations, operating budgets, attendance to co-ownership meetings and approval of accounts on behalf of landlords, relationship with tenants, lessors, lawyers, contractors …. My personal skills are : proactive person, dynamic, organized, thorough, self-sufficient, customer-orientated, discreet, team player and interacting with people.

Soumis par EddieLuv le ven 24/04/2020 - 20:29

Permalien
I applied at last time 3 days ago and my most stronger skills is self motived, persoasive and criative

Soumis par yanli le jeu 23/04/2020 - 07:09

Permalien
Hello, The video above can not work. I've tried many time using different browsers like safari, chrome , but still doesn't work.
hey kirk :)I tried to watch it from the link you showed but it still didn't work, I hope you can help again.

Hello UCB,

I'm sorry to hear that you can't see the video. If you are in China, that is the best link that I have for you, but it's also always a good idea to update your browser if you can, to try different browsers on your computer or device, and even to try using a different computer or device to see if the videos play there.

If you can give me some more details, such as your location and your browser version, I'll see if I can think of anything else, but please do try the things I suggested first.

All the best

Soumis par gerardbarrachina le mer 22/04/2020 - 11:00

Permalien
*Very sorry about my last comment, I would say the next: Last time I applied for a job was three months ago. It didn't work very well because my English level. However, I will improve it. My skills are based on business, particularly on sales. Gerard.
Profile picture for user Alina Polevaya

Soumis par Alina Polevaya le lun 06/04/2020 - 07:54

Permalien
The last time I applied for a job two years ago. My personal skills include: - stress resistance - communicative skills - team work - fast learning - interacting with people - time management skills

Soumis par hlopez le dim 05/04/2020 - 15:18

Permalien
Hi, The las time was about 1 month. My personal skills are: -I’m a team player -I have a B1 level in English -I have experience in WMS -I have good interpersonal skills
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le sam 04/04/2020 - 17:35

Permalien
Hi, It's quiet a long time.My personal skills includes: - Effective communication skills. - Strong logical and analytical skills . - Strong interpersonal skills. - Dynamic team player skills. - Prompt time management skills. - Result-driven oriented skills. Thanks.

Soumis par learnenglish10 le sam 04/04/2020 - 16:02

Permalien
I loved what you shared, especially how to learn English, I am going to combine it with what I am doing (https://-------------------------------------------------) to improve my results

Hello learnenglish10,

Thank you for your comment. We ask users not to link to outside sites to avoid having to police advertising posts.

Soumis par Paulina Ramos 1506 le ven 27/03/2020 - 04:41

Permalien
It´s an excellent page to study english, it´s very good, practice and eaisy. I like this page, every excercise and topic.

Hello mohit75236

The video appears to be working -- I am able to see it. If it's still not working for you, I'd suggest you try using a different web browser, or to update your web browser if that is possible. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest trying to view the video on a different device.

If none of that works, please let us know what browser version you're using and we'll see if we can help you more.

All the best

Soumis par Nermine le dim 08/03/2020 - 22:45

Permalien
It was a useful episode I had seen.I really need to improve my listening skill and the transcript is more helpful.Thank you

Soumis par f.qureshi le mar 03/03/2020 - 18:10

Permalien
Thank you British Council. I checked many other sites before this but found it best & more helpful for english learning in a better way.

Soumis par Htet Wai Lynn le lun 20/01/2020 - 12:31

Permalien
Although I cannot understand very well, I appreciate british council.

Soumis par MAYHOW le ven 03/01/2020 - 07:33

Permalien
Hi, everyone here I am a new member, dont know what shall i do. can someone adive?

Hi MAYHOW,

Welcome to LearnEnglish!

Have you explored our front page yet? You can find it here:

You'll see links to checking your level and to our Getting Started page, which should be just what you're looking for!

LearnEnglish is not organised as a course, though we do have courses available. Rather, most of the site is like a library of materials which you can dip into as you find useful. On most pages you can find comments sections so you can express your opinions, talk about your experiences, interact with other users, or ask questions of the team here.

Good luck with your learning!

Soumis par JecaCmi le lun 27/01/2020 - 13:14

En réponse à par Peter M.

Permalien
I am also new here. This comment was helpful for me. Thank you.
Profile picture for user munasinghe

Soumis par munasinghe le sam 30/11/2019 - 12:53

Permalien
I am from Sri Lanka . It is very hell full for me. Thank you.

Soumis par Nelson Camilo … le lun 11/11/2019 - 08:20

Permalien
Thanks for video has been very helpful.

Soumis par nickynick le lun 16/09/2019 - 10:40

Permalien
nice terminologic story is here... thanks to the scene/text writers on the behalf of all your team...

Soumis par oana.junc le dim 18/08/2019 - 09:45

Permalien
Hello, This episode was very useful for me. I found interesting the various synonyms of the verb "to fire". I appreciate. I became curious about the next episodes. Thank you!

Soumis par Loc Dang le mer 24/07/2019 - 16:09

Permalien
The lesson is very useful for me, especially at the moment when the new owner is changing the structure of the organisation. Yes, it's not good news for all of us learning that the company is acquired by another group. I feel as we are in defeat in a battle. Every one of us is preparing for being given the boot.

Soumis par Vesna le lun 15/07/2019 - 23:47

Permalien
This is very useful lesson and realy good task to write in discussion. Thank you!

Soumis par Merajuddin le mar 11/06/2019 - 13:08

Permalien
It was quiet useful for me. thank you for offering such a great English video for English language learners.