Episode 03

Marcia calls the candidates to give them details of the interview.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Marcia: Hi, I'm Marcia Boardman. I'm calling from WebWare.

Daniel: Oh, hi, Marcia. Great to hear from you.

Marcia: You'll have already been told you've been shortlisted for interview ...

Sarah: Oh, yes, great ... hello? Can you hear me?

Marcia: Yes ... Is it OK if I call you now? Would you like me to call you back later?

Sarah: Erm, no, no, no, that's OK.

Marcia: Good. Well, we're very excited about meeting you. OK, I just want to talk you through the procedure for the day. Someone will meet you when you arrive, reimburse you for any travel expenses you may have, and then bring you up to meet myself and Philip Hart, the CEO.

Daniel: OK, sounds good. So, will you be the only members of the interview panel there, then?

Marcia: Yes, it'll be just me and Philip who will talk to you. The interview will be in three parts. First of all we'll ask you some general questions about yourself and your educational and professional background, then we'll move on to specifics.

Sarah: Oh, er, specifics? Erm, well, er, what kind of questions will you be asking?

Marcia: Well, it'll be very similar to the personal statement you submitted with your CV. We'll be expecting you to give actual examples of problems you've faced and solved, and of what you feel are your major successes in your career so far.

Daniel: OK, well, yeah, that sounds great. Can't wait!

Marcia: Then there'll be a chance for you to ask us any questions about the job itself or WebWare in general.

Sarah: Oh, erm, OK. I'll think of something!

Marcia: After that, we'd like you to give a short presentation on how you see WebWare as a company progressing, and how you see yourself taking us there.

Daniel: OK, so will I be expected to give, like, a formal-style presentation?

Marcia: It can be as formal or as informal as you like. There'll be a flip chart and a data projector there available. If you need anything else, just let us know.

Sarah: Oh, erm, OK, a presentation! Erm, I'll think of something. I haven't done one of those in a while ...

Marcia: Is that all clear? Great. So, Daniel, I'll see you at 11 a.m., a week tomorrow.

Daniel: OK, great, yeah, I look forward to meeting you! Thanks, bye.

Marcia: OK, so, Sarah, we'll be seeing you at 1 p.m., a week tomorrow. Best of luck!

Sarah: Oh, thanks. I'll need it!

Worksheet73.13 Ko

Hello Vienna2018,

The sentence is not quite correct. You need to say:

You must have already been told (that) you've been shortlisted for interview.

Both sentences are about what someone believes or expects to be true. We generally use 'will have...' when we have an expectation based on what we know about the world (procedures, what is normal, typical etc) and 'must have...' when we have some concrete evidence which persuades us (something we can see, for example, or something we have just heard). The difference is not great, however, and the forms are often interchangeable.

Soumis par Leo Liu le sam 03/11/2018 - 12:55

Permalien
Dear moderator, The third question is "flipchart". In the dictionary, the word has a space in the middle of it. So does it right? And I want to know why we use "flip chart" to mean this. Because the flip is meaning turns over quickly. Can you help me? Thanks a lot. Best regards, Leo

Hello Leo,

Many compound nouns have alternative spellings. Flipchart, for example, can be written as one or two words:

The name clearly comes from the movement used to turn a new page on such a chart, but words are used quite flexibly when new technology comes along and I wouldn't search for an exact match between names which have earlier uses in different contexts.

Soumis par Leo Liu le sam 03/11/2018 - 12:17

Permalien
Dear moderator, I have met another question. What is the "routine" mean in the sentence "Good cop / Bad cop routine"? Because I remember the "routine" means things we regularly do. Can you help me? Thanks a lot. Best regards, Leo

Hi again Leo,

Many words in English (as well as most languages, for that matter), have different meanings or uses in different contexts. In the phrase you ask about it, 'routine' refers to a way of questioning or interrogating people that is used very often by police officers.

Soumis par Leo Liu le sam 03/11/2018 - 11:16

Permalien
Dear moderator, I have a question. What the sentence "in the pursuit of " mean? Because I can't find the meaning in the dictionary. I only knows the "pursuit" is means an activity. I think the phrase means the purpose. Can you help me? Thanks a lot. Best regards, Leo

Hi Leo,

In 'in pursuit of', 'pursuit' means something like 'attempt' or 'try'. So 'in the pursuit of gold' would mean 'trying to obtain gold'.

Soumis par Yshc le mer 06/06/2018 - 21:05

Permalien
Hello! Unfortunately I'm unable to do the Preparation task - there are some techial problems with it. I tried to open it using different devices (PC with Windows 10 and iPad) and different browsers (Chrome, Mozilla, Edge and Safari), but the result is always the same - the big grey square appears with no task in it.

Soumis par Peter M. le jeu 07/06/2018 - 07:29

En réponse à par Yshc

Hello Yshc,

I'm afraid we had a few technical problems with the exercises but everything should be working correctly now.

Soumis par julio arnaud le ven 18/05/2018 - 15:43

Permalien
It was ok. I usually listen twice to be sure I understand the whole video.

Soumis par Myette le mar 06/03/2018 - 15:11

Permalien
I like the videos, the conversations were easy to follow. It is also good to show 2 different types of interviewees. This will help the young job seekers on how they present themselves in an interview. Many thanks to the whole team.

Soumis par Tomoaki Hachiya le jeu 08/02/2018 - 00:20

Permalien
I once worked for a major bank in Japan, and I remember the day I had a job interview at the bank. I think the procedure of the interview was more casual and simple than this video, and it was already decided that I would be hired but gave me an interview just for formality. It's a rather sad memory of mine since I had to resign the bank because of my mental problem, and after that I learned that I'm not a person to belong to an organization but to do something by myself, which led me to become a translator of English, my present job..

Soumis par Ana Lucia Ferreira le lun 29/01/2018 - 17:22

Permalien
The video content it is really good. I guess the 2 candidates are good ones, but the man looks more confident even answering Mrs. Marcia at the phone. Looking forward to next episode!

Soumis par Kyaw Kyaw Thet le dim 14/01/2018 - 15:05

Permalien
What does "a week tomorrow" mean? Can we just simply state that "tomorrow" alone? Thanks

Hello Kyaw Kyaw Thet,

'a week tomorrow' means 'a week from tomorrow', in other words, eight days from today. If today is Sunday the 14th, it means Monday the 22nd.

Soumis par ericlaurencin le mer 03/01/2018 - 16:42

Permalien
In this video, Sarah is more excited than David but it will be the first time she makes a presentation and she is not sure to pass.

Soumis par Tomoaki Hachiya le dim 31/12/2017 - 20:43

Permalien
The job interview here seems to me very complicated and well-designed. I used be an interviewer at a company for some candidates for joining us, but the interview was more simple, I mean just a couple of general questions only.

Soumis par bkskarthik le jeu 21/12/2017 - 06:24

Permalien
That's very cool locking forward next episode

Soumis par Thundercannon2 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:33

Permalien
its quiet difficult to listening but it's very good for my practice. i like it.thank you

Soumis par Alejandro1902 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:32

Permalien
The video was very helpful to understand the business theme

Soumis par Sebastian Rodriguez le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:31

Permalien
Apparently daniel could develop fluently but I can not impress even though he can be a good candidate for work

Soumis par Alejandro1902 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:30

Permalien
I had impression that Daniel is more prepared to the interview.

Soumis par Moreno01 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:24

Permalien
It was a good video and it gave me insight about real interview and what i should avoid to succeed

Soumis par Ian914 le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:21

Permalien
In my opinion, the organization that was held was very good, since I try to take things well and without any problem, taking into account that this interview was very formal, and will continue being until it is concluded in person. It takes into account much the presentation, the CV, among many other things.

Soumis par Roberto Cesar le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:17

Permalien
I had impression that Daniel is more prepared to the interview

Soumis par Luuis Alfonso le mer 25/10/2017 - 16:06

Permalien
I find this text very interesting even if it is quite difficult to understand. The interviewer speak quickly but clearly. hola amikos

Soumis par colacio le sam 16/09/2017 - 14:24

Permalien
I had impression that Daniel is more prepared to the interview.

Soumis par Bugumił le dim 03/09/2017 - 14:22

Permalien
Sarah says :" I haven't done one of those in a while..." I think it means she has not the presentation right now (but she will do it ) . Am I right ?

Hello Bugumił,

Yes, that's the idea. She means that it's been a long time since she's given a presentation, but that she will prepare one for the interview.

Soumis par Sherif Abeedo le dim 23/07/2017 - 08:37

Permalien
It is a fair way to explore the qualified candidate

Soumis par Loan0901 le lun 20/03/2017 - 22:42

Permalien
I see this video on Macbook. I can not hear the voice. Could you please tell me how I can hear? Tks Best Wishes, Loan.

Hello Loan0901,

I'm not sure what the cause might be. I use a Mac and the video is working as it should (including audio), so it must be a local issue at your end.

Do the other videos on LearnEnglish work well for you or do have similar problems on all of our pages?

Best wishes,

Soumis par Ablayl.1968 le jeu 16/03/2017 - 11:49

Permalien
Hi, I understood everything. Actually I used to interwiev people to hire them. I did it in several ways like you showed in the task 2.

Soumis par MoONn 2111 le mar 07/03/2017 - 13:58

Permalien
Hi I'am a new member . Can u please explain what does this statement up to : ( and of what you feel are the major successes in your career so far) .

Hello MoONn 2111,

Welcome to LearnEnglish! The phrase 'of what you feel are the major successes in your career so far' is linked to the phrase 'give examples' earlier in the sentence. Marcia is asking Sarah to give examples of problems she has solved and to give examples of major successes in her career.

Does that make more sense now?

Soumis par ahmed mohamed salem le jeu 05/01/2017 - 19:40

Permalien
1-what is the difference between what you feel are the major successes in your career so far. and what are the major successes in your career so far 2-in the sentence how you see WebWare as a company progressing, the word progressing is adj. or noun 3- what is the meaning of how you see yourself taking us there. Thank you

Hello ahmed mohamed salem,

In answer to your questions:

1. There is no real difference in this context. The first (with 'feel') is perhaps a more polite formulation. Both ask for an opinion in this context.

2. The -ing form here has an adjectival function, describing the noun. You can read more about this on this page.

3. The question here means 'how will you help us to achieve this goal'.

Best wishes,

Hello ahmed mohamed salem,

What Marcia says is correct when it is complete; you are only quoting a fragment here. She says:

...we'd like you to give a short presentation on how you see WebWare as a company progressing...

This is not a direct question and so does not have the grammatical form of a question. The direct question would be:

How do you see WebWare progressing as a company?

However, when the sentence begins 'We'd like you to give a presentation on...' then it is not a direct question. You can read more about indirect and reported questions and speech here.

Best wishes,

Hello ahmed mohamed salem,

This is described on on the page I linked in my first answer (here). Look for the section which deals with verbs like see, watch, hear, smell.

Best wishes,