Episode 06

Daniel and Sarah make their presentations. Will they impress the interviewers?

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Daniel: When I was asked to do a presentation on 'Where WebWare is going and what I can do to help it get there', my first thought was simple: me! As you've already seen, I've got a lot of skills and the right kind of personality needed to do a job like this. Here's a slide I made! You see that? That's my sales team. They love me! Certainly going to be sad to see me leave. Outside-the-box thinking – that's what I've got!

Sarah: OK. To start with, I did a careful SWOT analysis using the data I had available, which is obviously only partial. I looked at aspects such as competitors, online visibility, changing technologies and R&D. On the basis of this, I believe WebWare should carry out some careful market research, strengthen its brand awareness in secondary markets and improve the flexibility of its offer. If this produces positive results, I think it should be possible to maintain the premium pricing policy.

Daniel: Here's the sales figures for the last job I did – all down to me. Blue-sky thinking! Finally, to finish my presentation, I'd like to play you a song I wrote ...

Philip: OK, OK ... that's enough. Thanks, Daniel.

Daniel: Great! So, does that mean I've got the job?

Marcia: Erm, we'll be in touch over the next five days to let you know.

Daniel: OK, great. Thank you.

Sarah: This is how I predict a sales pattern would go. I have to emphasise these are only speculative results at the moment. The key words are caution, adaptability and consolidation of main product lines – WebWare's 'cash cows', if you like. It's important to be flexible, yet reliable. Oh, and another thing is you need to improve the delivery times on your online orders. I hope all that's clear. Do you have any questions?

Philip: No, thank you, Sarah. That's all very clear. You've given us quite a lot to think about, there!

Marcia: Yeah, thanks a lot, Sarah. We'll be in touch over the next few days to let you know about the appointment.

Sarah: Thank you both for your time. It's been a pleasure meeting both of you.

Marcia: Bye bye!

Sarah: Bye.

Philip: Bye.

Sarah: Bye.

Worksheet84.42 Ko

Soumis par carmen le lun 01/11/2021 - 19:37

Permalien

Sara with her presentation shows that she's the best candidate for this job: she did a swat analysis to make her strategy and presentation reliable, she also demonstrate sales skills, attention to details and she's open to questions. Unfortunately Daniel has not the correct attitude, he doesn't explain why he's the write candidate and what he can do for the company.

Soumis par AhKhd le dim 03/01/2021 - 17:50

Permalien
I was impressed by her a very good performance during a presentation ,she was professional and self confidence,furthermore she did carefully a method of analysis of a business situation, with four aspects, strengths, weaknesses ,opportunities and threats and research a company beforehand and she even made proposals to improve the sales.I am sure Sarah will be chosen. Danial was chaotic, not serious and arrogant.

Soumis par Automaton 1.12… le jeu 03/12/2020 - 10:15

Permalien
Brain will get the job he had a amazing CV and sarah doesn't even got a good track record. Daniel is the man for the job he knows how to handel people and will help this company grow. He even plays great music so formal.

Soumis par Andrea Cabrera le mer 12/08/2020 - 16:28

Permalien
Sara, because she was more professional and she had better skills and took the time to research more about the company

Soumis par Lililastra le mer 12/08/2020 - 16:27

Permalien
I think Sarah was a lot better in her interview, she was more professional, when she was requested to consider where will she take the company, if she gets the position; She shows her self confident and she has real achievements.

Soumis par Dodo Mohamed le mer 27/05/2020 - 20:37

Permalien
Sarah's presentation of course, she's very professional. She prepared well. She's very interested in the job so she collect data about the company and their competitors, she tried to make the presentation to the point to show them that she has inputs to the post. Daniel is unprofessional and careless.

Soumis par nikoslado le lun 25/05/2020 - 22:16

Permalien
Listening and watching Daniel during the whole interview and realising that he was one of the two ''shortlisted persons'' among two hundreds other candidates, I'm wondering : Fancy what kind of candidates would be the rest 198 of them rejected...and what kind of degrees, MBA and knowledge are certified and offered by some universities.(Of course, we have to say that it was a scenario, not a real event, but though it's still a plain disappointment...)

Soumis par ishernandez le mer 20/05/2020 - 06:11

Permalien
I looked to Sarah ver confident and professional, She studied carefully the market in which the company is involved, She gave some interesting points to improve the main brand the company offers and the interviewers looked very pleasured with the results. Definitely She is going to be the next sales Director of WebWare Company.

Soumis par rivercountryside le mar 12/05/2020 - 10:21

Permalien
I impressed to Sarah's presentation. She was really confident. She showed clearly its. She prepared carefully her presentation. I thought that Sarah will be choose.

Soumis par GERARD le jeu 30/04/2020 - 21:01

Permalien
Whose presentation impressed you more, and why? Definitely Sarah's one. As during the interview she acts professionally. She is still smiley, looks at the interviewers, she has prepared beforehand and thoroughly her presentation, took time to research information on the company and its products and made a good analysis of the situation. She explained how she worked, on which basis, and made even proposals to improve the sales. She allows time for questions at the end of her presentation which is a proof of confidence.

Soumis par Abdulaziz AZ le jeu 30/04/2020 - 03:54

Permalien
sarah was more formal and respectful in her presentation

Soumis par Merwyn Joseph … le mar 28/04/2020 - 09:36

Permalien
Sarah's presentation is way better than Daniel's. She (Sarah) presented in a professional manner, well-prepared, being open to questions, explaining things as asked and stating everything in detail as per the required limit. Being confident, calm, professional, optimistic and flexible and these qualities and a positive approach will surely deserve her (Sarah) to get the job.

Soumis par gerardbarrachina le jeu 23/04/2020 - 19:01

Permalien
To be honest, and as many comments here say, in my opinion Sarah's presentation is better than Daniel's one. That's because it's more formal, professional, she has studied the company previously and made studies about it. Surely the two interviewers will contact Sarah soon.

Soumis par JulianoCrispi le mer 22/04/2020 - 20:00

Permalien
No doubt Sarah´s presentation is much better than Daniel´s but i felt a lack of experience for such important role in a company. i would definitily search more candidates for this key position.

Soumis par OlaIELTS le dim 19/04/2020 - 00:29

Permalien
Sarah's presentation impressed me more, because she has the insights about the firm and thus she responded to questions in a relaxed, serious and professional ways.

Soumis par farid007 le ven 13/03/2020 - 12:53

Permalien
These two interviews are totally different from each other. It is obvious that Sarah's presentation is good example of how good presentation should look like. Sarahs's presentation is relevant and important for company's goal. On the other hand, Daniel Talks lacks careful market analysis and he did not researched organisation goals. Instead of focusing on organisation and demonstration of his work skills, he spoke about himself and delivered formal and casual speech. Meanwhile, Sarah demonstrated professionalism, his works skills and ability to conduct SWOT analysis as well as delivering speculative market result. Furthermore, he was confident and his speech were professional and business relevant. She is good embodiment of how good candidate for job should be.

Soumis par Ulizeuz le ven 20/12/2019 - 16:16

Permalien
Obviously Sarah impressed more with her presentation. She was professional and seemed prepared. Daniel, on the other hand, was informal, and he didn't investigate about the company or took a time for questions.

Soumis par Oli le mer 11/12/2019 - 16:00

Permalien
I am sure that Sarah has made a very interesting research over the company. She mentions "complains" over un-respected delay for the delivery times of the online orders

Soumis par Oli le mer 11/12/2019 - 10:02

Permalien
I don't understand why the CEO is remaining sitting down on his chair while he gives the hand to the candidates. In Belgium it's very impolite to do so.

Soumis par Loc Dang le mar 03/09/2019 - 15:51

Permalien
Through the presentation of the two candidates, we can see the difference between them. While Daniel didn't respond to the expectation of the panel, that is how he projected to take them to the best objective, Sarah gave a fascinating presentation, showing that she spent time to learn about the company and made a serious analysis on the market relating to her further job. Daniel talked about himself and his competence without giving any pieces of evidence. At the standpoint of a candidate, I find these two aspects are a real lesson that needs to remember if I wanted to get a convincing argument in an interview.

Soumis par A_Ichiro le lun 08/07/2019 - 01:54

Permalien
Daniels's presentation did not answer what Marcia asked. He did not mention anything about the businesses.

Soumis par Vuqar le ven 22/02/2019 - 12:32

Permalien
Sarah presentation and interwiev is better than Daniel's.

Soumis par Olena_Sh le ven 15/02/2019 - 13:26

Permalien
I liked video, it was very instructive, especially for me and my zero experience in business presentation

Soumis par kolalexnic le dim 06/01/2019 - 08:45

Permalien
if I were CEO I would hire one of available staff resources for such important position...

Soumis par Ajevip le mar 01/01/2019 - 17:06

Permalien
Daniel says in his presentation about his sales team: "Certainly going to be sad to see me leave...". One the sentences of the Coomprehensive task says: "Daniel thinks that the sales team will be upset if he leaves" and it's given like true. My question is: Do the adjectives "sad" and "upset" have similar meaning?

Hello Ajevip,

In this context, the words have a similar meaning: unhappy or disappointed.

Soumis par victordossantos le lun 31/12/2018 - 19:50

Permalien
I think we here see how a person must answer to an interview. To be professional requieres inteligence, discipline and have objective goals about what company is requiering.

Soumis par fludzinm le dim 02/12/2018 - 22:53

Permalien
Candidates present their vision for the company's development. Sarah prepared for the conversation. Daniel, by his attitude of an unprepared person, diminishes the chances of getting a job. The presentation should contain at least general information about the issue on which we should work. I also think that it is worth getting ready before every recruitment interview. Preparing a presentation increases the chances of getting a job.

Soumis par Exploredbymafaza le jeu 07/06/2018 - 03:35

Permalien
When it is a job being professional is always the key. Being you doesn't give us a job but honesty does.

Soumis par Tomoaki Hachiya le sam 10/02/2018 - 20:24

Permalien
Hmm, let me see, Daniel is not a bad guy to employ after all. He's positive, optimistic, and doing things out of his intuition. Whereas Sarah looks logical, rational, analytical. If I were CEO of this company, I'd hire both of them and give them a chance to see the result.

Soumis par Khaled v le mer 27/12/2017 - 14:53

Permalien
Simply ..dont think about the result while you are in the interview Dont cry if you didnt have the job ..you will have another choice in another place in another time ..Try to be wonderful :)

Soumis par lcsergedi le jeu 26/10/2017 - 18:39

Permalien
Daniel presentation was to short and didn't contain any useful information. Sarah video was accurate and interesting. Two months ago i had a presentation and i was very nervous.

Soumis par Favzy10 le mar 10/10/2017 - 20:58

Permalien
can't i download d video? So it ll b on my phone

Hello Favzy10,

I'm afraid the videos on LearnEnglish are not available for download for technical and legal reasons. You can download the audio files on our audio-only pages but not the videos.

Best wishes,

Soumis par monikatiwari le dim 26/03/2017 - 15:01

Permalien
I think both have different ways of presenting, Daniel have delivered in his past role and seems was liked by his team due to his fresh ideas / out of the box thinking but also was looking quite over confident. Wherein Sarah was quite composed and well prepared. She was encouraging the interviewers by giving the well prepared presentation on how she would value add by improvising the processes which can result in far better performance for their organization. Her way was quite polite and articulated her thoughts well.

Soumis par hala_kiwan le jeu 09/03/2017 - 05:14

Permalien
Could you please tel me how to paly the video

Hello hala_kiwan,

I've checked the video and don't see any problems with it or the webpage. I'd suggest you try using a different browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer) and/or a different device (e.g. tablet, phone or computer) to see if that helps. If not, please let us know what browser version you're using and we'll look into it.

Soumis par mujeebrehman le lun 02/01/2017 - 03:26

Permalien
I like both presentations but Daniel done his presentation in a very casual way, he is used a language which is not suppose to use in front of professional forum. But Sarah done her presentation in a professional way and I nicely highlighted all the job she done in front of them, I think Sarah will get selected for that post.