Episode 07

Philip and Marcia discuss the two candidates. Who will get the job?

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Philip: So, what did you think?

Marcia: Well, between Sarah Timms and Daniel Watson, I think the choice is pretty obvious!

Philip: Yes, so do I. Watson looked so good on paper ...

Marcia: But he seemed very good when I first spoke to him too.

Philip: First impressions often lie!

Marcia: Indeed. I think a lot of his CV was – how shall we say? Counterfactual.

Philip: Yes. It just wasn't true. You should never lie on your CV!

Marcia: He had very good references, though. Very strange.

Philip: I guess some people just like that sort of style, but he wouldn't fit in with us. I mean, it's important to be confident but he was overconfident.

Marcia: I couldn't agree more. His body language was all wrong. He came across as arrogant.

Philip: Then he gave very vague answers – no specific details of what exactly he'd done in his job.

Marcia: Whereas Sarah Timms ...

Philip: ... knew exactly what she was talking about.

Marcia: Yes, she was very convincing, self-assured, but not arrogant.

Philip: She'd clearly done some research on the company and knew what she was talking about.

Marcia: Oh, I thought her presentation was excellent.

Philip: Yes, it was. But I am a little worried about how much experience she has.

Marcia: Yes, true, but she seems very ready to take on the challenges the role would offer her.

Philip: So, who do we give the job to?

Marcia: Sarah!

Philip: Yes, I agree entirely!

Marcia: Great! I'll phone her straight away offering the post and I'll write a rejection to Mr Watson.

Philip: OK.

Worksheet83.73 Ko

Soumis par david.alfaro le dim 26/09/2021 - 04:21

I guess Daniel suffers any mental illness XD

Soumis par Rafaela1 le jeu 10/06/2021 - 14:21

Permalien
It's interesting conversation. "First impression often lie!"..... OMG! "Counterfactual.... You should never lie on your CV!".

Soumis par YONABB le jeu 11/03/2021 - 13:45

Permalien
Yes, I totally agree with their decision to hire Sarah over Daniel.

Soumis par Ventola le ven 16/10/2020 - 11:33

Permalien
Yes i agree entirely. Daniel is so arrogant, and if i were employer i would never want to have that kind of person as a member of the team.

Soumis par Lililastra le mer 12/08/2020 - 16:52

Permalien
I agree according to what they have said, She has a better attitude and she shows confidence with out being arrogant, she was not counterfactual about her CV information.

Soumis par Andrea Cabrera le mer 12/08/2020 - 16:51

Permalien
yes because daniel is very arrogant and lied and she was professional

Soumis par GERARD le jeu 30/04/2020 - 21:27

Permalien
Do you agree with Philip and Marcia's decision? I entirely agree even if she lacks experience for the job. It is better for the company to hire someone who can gain experience quickly than someone more experienced but not with the right personality. Of course if they had more time they could try to search for other candidates but it seems that they are in a hurry so for the time being it seems to me she is the more appropriate person.

Soumis par JulianoCrispi le lun 27/04/2020 - 21:34

Permalien
I´d say sarah is definitily the best choice but her lack of experience could be a risk to the company. If i was the CEO i´d contact a few headhunters to help me find the perfect professional to fit such an important role, it would be a game-changing to the company.

Soumis par EddieLuv le ven 24/04/2020 - 22:46

Permalien
Yes I agree, but they could give for Daniel some advice how he can be better in another job interview

Soumis par gerardbarrachina le jeu 23/04/2020 - 19:11

Permalien
Enterely agree with both of them. Sarah is the addecuate person to get the job instead of Daniel. She's more prepared and professional, however she has to demostrate that her skills get the results that CEO wants.

Soumis par Ulizeuz le lun 23/12/2019 - 17:52

Permalien
Absolutely, I agree with Phillip and Marcia's decision. It's difficult trust in someone who lies in his CV, and Sarah was very confident and well prepare in her presentation.

Soumis par sqam7521 le lun 16/12/2019 - 05:29

great selection , I wonder how could Daniel managed to get good references? ;P

Soumis par Loc Dang le ven 06/09/2019 - 16:08

Permalien
Marcia and Philip have the same impression about the presentations of the two candidates. They seem to be convinced - and in fact, they have a point- with the well-prepared task of Sarah. Anyway, the selection is not so difficult in such an obvious case. I find their comments on the interviewees are accurate and professional.

Soumis par A_Ichiro le lun 08/07/2019 - 02:14

Permalien
I wonder if Daniel will consider why he could not get an offer when he receives a rejection letter.

Soumis par Bugumił le jeu 14/09/2017 - 21:22

Permalien
I have no idea what exactly am I expected to do in task1. I know the proper order of the sentences but HOW can I express it? I can't "move" the sentence or any other way show the proper sequence.

Hello Bugumił,

To move a sentence, first click or press on the sentence. Then, to put it in a new position, you must click or press on the small white hand (on the right) that is in the new position. The sentence should stay there in the new position if you do this.

It's actually quite easy, though it's difficult to explain in words, so if you still have problems doing it, please ask us again and we'll be happy to help you.

Soumis par Rebecca Lukusa le jeu 22/06/2017 - 12:01

Permalien
So usefull. I thanks the team for their good job.