Episode 08

Marcia writes to the unsuccessful candidate to give them the bad news.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Marcia: OK, OK, that's great! We'll be pleased to have you on the team. Looking forward to seeing you next week. Bye!

Philip: Was that Sarah?

Marcia: Yes. She's going to accept the job and wants to come in next week for a chat.

Philip: Oh, great news! Now you just have to tell the other guy that we don't want him.

Marcia: Mm, I hate giving bad news.

Philip: I'm glad that it's your job and not mine!

Marcia: OK, may as well do it straight away. 'Dear Mr Watson, we regret to inform you you have not got the job.' Hmm, sounds a bit too direct. How about: 'Dear Mr Watson, thank you for your application to WebWare. We regret to inform you you weren't successful'?

Philip: Erm, I think you should say something positive.

Marcia: But he was terrible!

Philip: Well, he wasn't great, no, but I think we should be positive and polite.

Marcia: Yes, you're absolutely right. OK, how about this: 'Dear Mr Watson, thank you for your application to WebWare. You were a promising candidate. However, we regret to inform you that the competition for the post was very strong and we will not be offering you the position. Yours sincerely, etc. etc.'

Philip: Yes, that's more like it. But we should include some feedback.

Marcia: Of course. How about if I add this? 'In future, you may wish to moderate your personal style and carefully fact-check your CV.' How does that sound?

Philip: Erm, I'm not sure what 'moderate your personal style' means. It's a bit vague.

Marcia: Hmm, OK. How about 'give more specific examples of your achievements and show how you work as part of a team'?

Philip: OK, yes, I like that. And remember to finish with something like, 'We wish you the best of luck in the future.'

Marcia: Of course. I certainly do wish him luck! OK, done. I'll send it now.

Do you need to speak better English at work?
Learn to speak, read, write and understand English in a variety of work situations. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.

Worksheet79.69 Ko

Soumis par jyoti Chaudhary le ven 22/04/2022 - 14:00

Permalien

What feedback would you give to Daniel about his interview performance?

daniel needs plenty of practice in communication and whatever he has experienced just only mention that not write wrong in our cv. confident must be important but overconfident not, so he needs to answer every question politely like a sarah.

Soumis par Andrea Cabrera le jeu 13/08/2020 - 18:03

Permalien
Dear Daniel, you need to be more realistic and less arrogant and you need to make some reaserch about the company in which you are goning to apply

Soumis par ishernandez le mar 02/06/2020 - 22:12

Permalien
Daniel needs to be less arrogant and make good research regarding the company where He is an applicant, also He may give more details about his strengths and be accurate with the lines written on the CV.

Soumis par nikoslado le mar 26/05/2020 - 17:22

Permalien
I'd like to disagree with the opinions about a most or less polite feedback answer to Daniel.It's not about a social relationship or a daily conversation.It's about a choice based on specific criteria and facts.Speaking based on the scenario in the video, the guy was at least unacceptable.He had written a lot of deliberate lies or inaccuracies in his CV ... His body language, his way of talking, the whole behaviour-especially at the end, wanting to sing a song of his own(!!!..), all of these show a person completely ''out of order'', it seems rather like a joke than a professional interview.( In English you could say something, light- informal, like : ''poncy'', ''popinjay'', ''smug'', ''peacock'', ''screwball'', ''big head'', ''stuffed shirt'' and many, many others, slang ones..I think it's a hypocritical and hollow thing and a waste of time trying to give feedback or advice to such a person.You might have to write only the typical text ''We regret to inform you that you failed''.Maybe that could make him think about...

Soumis par Rawan Mohammed le sam 02/05/2020 - 22:33

Permalien
What feedback would you give to Daniel about his interview performance? The feedback that I would give to Daniel is he must be honest in the future interviews, always tell the truth about himself and avoid being over arrogant and vague because he have positive points like what he said the team he was works with them they loves him and I think he is effective with being part of a team and he should be aware of the company before he does the presentation. This what I think.

Soumis par Rawan Mohammed le sam 02/05/2020 - 22:07

Permalien
This video was really helpful for me teach me how to reject someone by choosing my words so carefully to avoid hurt their feelings and how I be polite with them.

Soumis par GERARD le jeu 30/04/2020 - 21:50

Permalien
What feedback would you give to Daniel about his interview performance? I would advise him: -to change his CV to a more realistic one and update the information, -to prepare his interview thinking beforehand of questions he can been asked, examples of achievements -to do research on the company and its business -to change his behaviour and body language and tailor his dress style to the company

Soumis par EddieLuv le sam 25/04/2020 - 17:06

Permalien
Mr. Watson Good Afternoon, Thankyou very much for your application. Despite your experience, we regret to inform you that you were not selected for the vacancy because the strong competition surrounding this. You could, in an upcoming interview, talk more about how you work as a team and be more humble about your professional qualifications. Best Regards! Edmar Santos.

Soumis par gerardbarrachina le jeu 23/04/2020 - 19:19

Permalien
Mr Daniel, First of all thank you for your interest in our company and for coming here to do the interview. We're really sorry but the competitiveness of the pos was hard enough, so you've not pass the candidate process as well. Nevertheless we hope you to stay focused on the next job oportunities and we wish you the best. Bye.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le dim 19/04/2020 - 01:20

Permalien
The kind of feedback I would give to Daniel about his interview performance will be a bit direct, moderate, polite and positive.
Profile picture for user Joel-0505

Soumis par Joel-0505 le jeu 02/01/2020 - 15:32

Permalien
These videos are very useful for me. I'd have loved someone to give me a feedback like that during my first interviews for working.

Soumis par Loc Dang le sam 07/09/2019 - 16:32

Permalien
Marcia speaks pretty quickly, and it is not going smooth for me as a beginner of studying English. The listening part is, I can say, usually the main problem in learning English, so it's worth pursuing Marcia's speed speaking (of course, it's no walk in the park!) once you win to get used to catching her sentences, you are successful!

Soumis par A_Ichiro le mar 09/07/2019 - 11:27

Permalien
Once I got a rejection letter from a software company. In the email, it said "It was a very difficult decision." in Japanese. I accepted the words as they were and felt a little relieved to know that was close. However they might have thought just like Philip in the video and gave me the positive comment.

Soumis par Vuqar le lun 25/02/2019 - 09:52

Permalien
Marcia Boardman speaks very fast, as if she is in a hurry. But Philip Hart speaks normal and fluently in my opinion.