A travel guide

Read a travel guide about Bangkok to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Whether you're travelling to the islands or the mountains of Thailand, you're likely to spend at least one night in its capital city on the way. Bangkok might be noisy and polluted but it's also an exciting city with plenty of things to see and do. Why not make it a longer stay?

Where to stay

The Khao San Road was a famous traveller spot even before Leonardo di Caprio's character in the film The Beach stayed there. But it's noisy, not very pretty and not very Thai. For something more authentic, Phra Kanong offers an alternative place to stay, with its fantastic street markets where everyday Bangkok people eat, work and live. It's not as convenient for the main tourist sites, but it has a Skytrain station so you can be at the Grand Palace in 20 minutes.

How to get around

Bangkok's traffic can be a nightmare. Sure, you can easily take a taxi – if you want to spend hours stuck in traffic jams – but there are two much better ways to get around the city. To explore the temples and historical sites, catch an express boat river taxi or a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river and the canals. For the modern part of the city, the Skytrain is a fast, cheap way to travel from the river to the shopping malls and nightlife of Sukhumvit, and the famous Chatuchak street market.

Where to eat

The simple answer is: everywhere! Thai street food is among the best in the world, and for around $5 you can eat a filling and delicious meal. Some food stands have little plastic seats where you can sit and eat and they cook the same dish over and over, like fried chicken on rice or Pad Thai noodles. Head for Chinatown – Yaowarat Street – and choose whatever looks most interesting from the many excellent Chinese and Thai restaurants and food stands.

What to do

After you've seen the main sites like the Giant Buddha at the temple of Wat Pho and the spectacular Grand Palace, and shopped at Chatuchak market, check out the snake farm and watch the live snake show. You can even touch a snake yourself if you want to!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Worksheet66.8 Ko

Soumis par Machida le mer 05/08/2020 - 15:29

Permalien
I have never been to Bangkok so I want to go to Thailand someday. If i go to Bangkok, I want to go to night market, I want to enjoy shopping there and eat a lot of local food. And I am interested in Thailand's temples too. There are colorful and beautiful. I think it's fresh and very enjoyable. But we can't go abroad now because of COVID-19. I want to get better soon and travel abroad

Soumis par fukuzawa le mar 04/08/2020 - 13:01

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok. Because I haven't been to Bangkok yet. My dream is to visit countries all over the world. Bangkok is said to have beautiful scenery, so I wanted to visit it. I want to take pictures of many scenery and enjoy them.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Soumis par Hennadii le lun 03/08/2020 - 13:46

Permalien
Of course, I would like to visit Bangkok. I think this place way to different from my hometown so it could be very interesting. Actually, I like to visit new places, different countries, etc. I always get excited when I see something new, some old buildings, palaces, squares and museums. I like to wander on the cities, explore new food and new places. In an unspeakable feeling when you find some park to get rest after the hours of walking around a new city. You can buy something to eat (some local food) and drink some beer or wine (also local) and enjoy that moment when your exhausted legs finally have their well-deserved rest and your empty stomach tells you "thanks, man" ))

Soumis par Meiry Mella le ven 31/07/2020 - 17:36

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok someday. The pictures of the beaches I've seen are so beautiful they don't even look real. Although I've never been there, I've tried Thai food, and I have to say, it is one of the most delicious food I have ever ate.

Soumis par Nobu1230 le ven 31/07/2020 - 15:17

Permalien
I've never been to Bangkok in Thailand,so I would like to go there.I have two reason,first My bestfriend live in now there.He has lived there since 2017 for a company transfar.I will ask him to guide me around famous spots.Second I want to see main city which is growing in last few years.Bangkok become one of the most famous city and economy grows remarkably.So I want to see real city and people and shop and atmosphere with my own eyes.

Soumis par Tsuyoshi watanabe le ven 31/07/2020 - 08:48

Permalien
I want to go to Bangkok. Because I am interested in foreign cultures. I have never been abroad since I was born. Therefore, I don't know cultures other than Japan, and how foreign countries are different from Japan. People of different cultures have different personalities, and I want to know what kind of people live in foreign countries. Also, I want to experience a culture that Japan doesn't have. If I go to Bangkok, I want to enjoy famous food. If I can find out what tastes are normal in Bangkok and what kind of appearance food is accepted, I will be able to know more about the tastes of the people who live there.

Soumis par Haiuyen le ven 31/07/2020 - 08:20

Permalien
I would like to Bangkok someday. I have seen many pictures about Bangkok. I think it is a good place to come to relieve tress,entertain. Bangkok has a lot of delious food and temples,pagoda. So I really like to go with my parents to there♡♡

Soumis par Saria Muraoka le jeu 30/07/2020 - 12:07

Permalien
I have never been to Bangkok before. But I would like to visit there very much. I know there are a lot of famous spots. So there is always something fun to do in Bangkok. I'm interested in temple. We able to visit temple, and experience that town's culture on trip. The best thing about Bangkok is food. We can eat delicious meal. In addition to there are very cheap. I have never eaten Thai food. I want to try myself abroad. I will eat until I'm full. If I have chance to go Bangkok, I want to challenge a lot of things there.

Soumis par Maiko Tanzawa le mar 28/07/2020 - 14:03

Permalien
I want to go to Bangkok, Thailand. I haven't been to Thailand since I was born, so I'm wondering what it is like. And since Bangkok is the capital of Thailand and a big city known for its luxuriously decorated temples and lively people's lives, I would really like to see and experience the sight. And since the food seems delicious, I would like to try various dishes and dishes I have never eaten.

Soumis par R le lun 27/07/2020 - 18:36

Permalien
I have never been to Bangkok, but I would like to visit someday.Chao Phraya River studied in geography class in high school.The teacher said that the Chao Phraya River cannot be missed for sightseeing.I want to go sightseeing by boat on the Chao Phraya River.I've never eaten Thai food, so I'm looking forward to eating it locally.I also want to go around various temples.I want to see and enjoy temples with different colors and structures.I wish I could go someday!

Soumis par Yuri Chida le lun 27/07/2020 - 14:06

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok. I have never been to Bangkok. However, I heard that there are many places to visit in Bangkok for example, the Khao San Road, the Central World Plaza, and the Flow House Bangkok. I’m especially interested in the Khao San Road. Also, I can enjoy visiting temples, shopping, and eating delicious foods in Bangkok. In particular, I would like to eat delicious foods such as tom yum goong and Hainanese chicken rice. Also, I would like to try Mahanakhon Skywalk and get a thrill. If I have a chance to visit Bangkok, I will enjoy traveling.

Soumis par hoshi le lun 27/07/2020 - 09:35

Permalien
Hello everyone. I have never been to Bangkok.However, I want to go to there. It is because it has a lot of famous tourist destination. If I go to Bangkok, first do to Watt Arun. It is a most famous spot in the Bangkok. so, I want to see the Temple of dawn. I think the biggest purpose of going abroad is to get in touch with other culture.and I can talk with Local people. In many cases, They actively communication for me. That way I can experience other culture.

Soumis par Yonemura Tomoya le lun 27/07/2020 - 09:00

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok. I heard there are many places to eat in Bangkok, and I can eat delicious meals everywhere. I want to visit there and eat them. Particularly, I want to eat Thai food because I have never eaten. Also, those food is very cheep, so I can use many money. Also, Bangkok has many tourist spots. Although All of them is fascinating, I'm interested in historic spots. Bankok has interesting history, so I want to see historic building and learn their history. Now, I need to study language and culture to visit Bankok someday.

Soumis par tomoka le lun 27/07/2020 - 08:15

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok. I have a reason for feeling this way. To begin with, I often watch traveling videos on YouTube. And, I notice Bangkok is so attracted place. The reason why is that the landscape of market in Bangkok is so beautiful. Therefore, in there, I want to see the landscape and take pictures. Furthermore, I hear the food there are in Bangkok is so tasty. So, I wanna eat them if I visit there. In addition, Bangkok is the place where I want to go someday. This reason makes me think I would like to visit Bangkok.

Soumis par Naru Yasuda le dim 26/07/2020 - 15:30

Permalien
I want to go to Bangkok. Because I think it has a lot of good points. First, many people said Bangkok is asleep country. It is because Bangkok has a lot of places, foods, shops, views and so on. So if we were went to Bangkok, we should enjoy all days and you will have a good experience. Second, it has a beautiful view. It has many gold buildings. I think it looks like Aladdin’s world. I like Aladdin very much. So, I want to see this beautiful view at once. For these reasons, I want to go to Bangkok

Soumis par NANAKA le lun 13/07/2020 - 09:09

Permalien
Hello! I haven't been to Bangkok in Thailand yet. I have a friend from Thailand . I heard from her that Thailand is cheerful country and pro-Japanese. I'm also interested in original cultures. But I'm worried because the country has very poor sanitation. Moreover, I don't like ethnic food and coriander. I've tried so many times, but I still don't eat it. Coriander tastes like medicine. If I have a chance to visit abroad, I'd like to go to other country. Sorry.

Soumis par Risa le mar 07/07/2020 - 08:08

Permalien
I would like to go to Bangkok someday. I have never go there up to the present. My aunt often goes there. She always gave souvenir for my family. In most cases, the souvenir is spices or foodstuffs. I’m bad at this taste. But, my parents like it. If I can overcome Bangkok’s local food in the future, I want go to there with my parents. My knowledge of Bangkok is shallow idea, But I know there has a lot of temple. There temples are so beautiful, gorgeous and colorful. I think Japanese temples are frugally than Bangkok. So, I want to see many temples with own eyes. I searched about Bangkok as my interest. There has a lot of sightseeing place, such as cruising, market and pool. If the coronavirus ends, I want to make up a plan for travel to Bangkok.

Soumis par Dr.Mohamed A. Zein le sam 27/06/2020 - 13:43

Permalien
Yes, I would like go ...I want really to see and enjoy different culture, food and places. If I have money I will visit that place

Soumis par Dr Doaa Mahmoud le sam 27/06/2020 - 13:36

Permalien
Yes, of course. I'd like to visit Bangkok as I like travelling to new places and countries. If I have money, I will think

Soumis par laiiiilerrrr le mer 17/06/2020 - 06:04

Permalien
Yes I would like to visit Bangkok because it is one of the world’s most visited city. The country also have many interactive places from the unbeatable street food to the temples, markets and over-the-top luxury.

Soumis par Riko le lun 15/06/2020 - 03:40

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok someday. I think there are many places for sightseeing and interesting foods. I'm interested in culture of Thailand. Also, I want to see the snake farm and watch the live snake show. Of course, I want to touch a snake. I have impression of Bangkok that is a lively capital. Thailand is not far from Japan, so I want to go to Bangkok.

Soumis par ryota le dim 14/06/2020 - 16:32

Permalien
I would like to visit Bangkok in Thai. I have never been to Bangkok before. I am very interested in other culture. So I want to know Bangkok's food culture, custom, and so on. I want to eat Thai's street food. According to this article, Thai's street food is among the best in the world, and for around 5$.I don't have a lot of money. One of my dreams is to eat a lot of delicious food with little money. Also, I want to go to a temple. I heard there are a lot of buddhist and a lot of temple in Bangkok. I think religion has a great influence on the origin of the culture of the country. For these reasons, I would like to visit Bangkok in Thai.

Soumis par Sharif Tayyebi le sam 13/06/2020 - 16:54

Permalien
I have heard and seen something interesting about Thailand, but I am not interested in traveling to Thailand. There are many reasons, but the most important one is that I don't know the language of this country. I know the importance of traveling to and other southern parts of Asia. All these countries have nice places for sightseeing, and their cultures are a lovely part of human's experiences. Therefore, if I can learn English fluently, then I will choose Thailand as a travel destination. I wish that I can very soon. Regards, Tayyebi

Soumis par sosabeli le sam 13/06/2020 - 02:33

Permalien
I really love bird, like REALLY I would love to see ewhat of birds species are in Bangkok, to see marine species and all kind of animals that are in there. Bangkok sound like a really nice place and also with a nice people.

Soumis par SamerTJ le jeu 11/06/2020 - 08:13

Permalien
Yes, of course, because I like travelling to new places, trying new foods and making new friends from different cultures. I have had no idea about Thailand before reading this text and it seems amazing.

Soumis par Nanami le lun 08/06/2020 - 09:45

Permalien
I haven't been interested in Thailand until now, but this time I found out about tourism there and I really would like to visit Bangkok. Because we can go shopping and eat local foods cheaply. The great thing is they are very low costs but we can get good products and delicious foods. The place I want to visit is a huge shopping mall popular with young people. I've seen a TV program about sightseeing in Bangkok. The color of Thai miscellaneous goods were very flashy and it had a charm that Japanese things don't have, so I want to buy colorful bags or clothes. Thailand is close to Japan, so I'd like to travel once.

Soumis par Osuke le mer 03/06/2020 - 09:42

Permalien
Yes. I would like to visit Bangkok. I've never been there, so I want to go there and see the night view. And Bangkok is attractive because it is close to Japan and I can go at a cheap price. Then there is another reason why I want to go. The reason is that I want to eat Thai food. I really like shrimp, so I want to eat Tom Yum Kung! I also want to visit some tourist spot in Bangkok. For example, swimming in the sea called Pattaya, shopping at a big shopping mall, or riding elephant at Ayutthaya ruins. I really want to go and try various things.

Soumis par Arezoo le mer 03/06/2020 - 01:53

Permalien
I am sure I would like to visit Bangkok again. That was quit interesting for me to visit temples and getting familiar with their culture also there was opportunity to enjoy street seafood. Besides I should confess that I got impressed by unique market which is called flow market. You can find a range of goods there from handicraft to tropical fruit. It is an asset for me to visit such a diverse place again.

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le lun 01/06/2020 - 13:37

Permalien
Yes, I would like go there...When I saw picture it`s looking really different from European countries, different culture, food. If I have money I will visit that place :)

Soumis par Y le lun 01/06/2020 - 10:36

Permalien
Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. I like seeing a lot of sightseeing spots, because I can feel the energy and escape from reality. I think that Bangkok has a lot of colorful buildings and very nice view at night. If I visit Bangkok, I want to go shopping and try to many food. Especially, I want to go to ICONSIAM. There is very big shopping mall. I like shopping and clothes, so I want to go there to buy clothes or accessories. In addition, I want to eat Tom yam kung. I have ever eaten it in Japan. But I want to eat real Tom yam kung!!! So, I have a lot of things to go to Bangkok. I hope I can go there someday.

Soumis par yusuke le lun 01/06/2020 - 08:09

Permalien
Of course, I do. Because there are a lot of temples and delicious Thai food. They really attract me. I want to study their culture. I think I will not feel enough about one day trip. If I plan to go, it will be a week or so. My goal in the trip is to make friends and keep in touch even I back to Japan.

Soumis par Ayaka le lun 01/06/2020 - 07:56

Permalien
I have never been to any other countries but I really want to go to many countries.This is because I can touch other cultures. Also, it let me think differently. So, I read this article and want to visit Thailand one day. Speaking of Thailand, an image full of colorful things. If I can go there I would like to enjoy the scenery, eat tropical fruits, have a Thai massage, interact with animals that we can't interact with in Japan and have a relaxing time there.It seems that I can have various experiences like these, It will be a good time for my growth.

Soumis par Wakana M le lun 01/06/2020 - 03:56

Permalien
Yes. I’ve never been to Bangkok, so I would like to go there once. I would like to visit to many countries, and I think it would be good way to know other country’s culture and lifestyle. In addition, I often hear that there are beautiful sites, and we can interact with animals such as tigers or elephants. I want to see sites and interact with them. However, I have a reason what I don’t want to visit there. my sister has been there once, she said “I couldn’t eat Thai food, because they were all too spicy.” I thought I couldn’t eat either. Because I don’t like spicy foods. But I also think that it’s important to challenge anything. So, I would like to go there.

Soumis par senes19 le dim 31/05/2020 - 12:48

Permalien
I didn't. But I would like to travel to Bangkok. I have never heart anything about city. However, I have never met before any person who has lived in there, I want to see and explore to this city. Differences is attractive for me.

Soumis par Mirna Crisostomo le mer 27/05/2020 - 18:40

Permalien
Yes, I would like it. It`s always good to know other cultures and Bangkok is interesting!!

Soumis par mouna99 le mer 27/05/2020 - 18:29

Yes I would like to visit Bangkok, I saw an amazing pictures of the city

Soumis par Julia19 le dim 24/05/2020 - 11:00

Permalien
I'm sure that lifestyle of Banckog isn't suitable for me. But it's quite interesting to visit new place with absolutely different culture. I'd rather go to the beach and maybe see the main sights than visit the city with its traffic and busy people.

Soumis par syah le sam 23/05/2020 - 06:54

Permalien
It seems interesting. Maybe one day, I will visit Bangkok city to see how wonderful their culture and also taste their delicious culinare.

Soumis par antinaoki le mar 19/05/2020 - 06:24

Permalien
always wanted to go to one of the tropical countries, Malaysia seems good too,hope some day i can make it.

Soumis par Muhammad Bagir le mar 19/05/2020 - 05:05

Permalien
Of course I do. This country has many of unique culture. Their food is so anti-mainstream, you can eat cockroach, mantis, bat, and other weird animal. Their language was unique too (without try to underestimate them), I always feel tickled when I heard they speak..

Soumis par begumoz le lun 18/05/2020 - 00:56

Permalien
Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. It is really interesting city. I wonder to see this colorful regions.

Soumis par Chipinque le dim 17/05/2020 - 18:10

Permalien
I would love to visit Thailand, it seems that it has beautiful beaches and delicious food. I have never been to Asia so I think this would be a good place to start.

Soumis par Htet Min Khant… le sam 16/05/2020 - 12:09

Permalien
I would like to visit Thailand and capital city Bangkok because I'm from Myanmar and so both our countries are located in the Southeast Asia that why the travel distance is not so far and I can visit easily.Moreover,the prevalent religion of Thailand is Buddhism,like my country,I want to pay respect to the Thailand pagodas and explore the temples and historical sites.Cause I'm food lover,I like to taste Thailand foods,which are very famous on social media and among the food crazy.Coming soon,I trust I'll be happy over the Bangkok's roads.

Soumis par Mohamedakram16 le dim 10/05/2020 - 11:40

Permalien
Maybe, one day I will visit Thailand, I heard that it's a fantastic place for spending holiday

Soumis par Masas le mar 05/05/2020 - 22:45

Permalien
Of course , I hope to visit Bangkok city . I have a few friends been there before told me ,It's amazing city ,specially,when you go to Temples and the landmarks of the city then you are trying Thia's food ,It's delicious ..I want to visit it one day .

Soumis par Carole Anh le ven 01/05/2020 - 09:25

Permalien
When I travelled to Thailand 10 years ago, I stayed 1 night in Bangkok. When I arrived there, I was suffocated by the temperature and pollution in february. Reading the article, I think I missed some beautiful spots. What is to remember is the smile and the kindness of the Thai people. The dishes are delicious and tasty. What is surprising is that the restaurant is open all night long. I wish I will have the opportunity to go there again.

Soumis par teya10 le jeu 23/04/2020 - 19:17

Permalien
yes i would like to visit bangkok because it's look like a wonderful city and i just want to discover their culture, taste their delicious food and visit all the places mentioned above

Soumis par Chloe_2709 le ven 17/04/2020 - 05:16

Permalien
I haven't ever travelled to Thailand .I have seen some famous beautiful streets , traveller spots , like : Chiangmai , Phuket ... and the well-known tasty Thai street foods from TV . I hope that I can have a chance to go Thailand once day . It's so awesome !!!!

Soumis par Daudau0601 le mar 14/04/2020 - 04:52

Permalien
Yes of course. I really like visiting Bangkok. I've not ever visited there but i saw manything about Thailand on facebook especially foods and historical sites. Because i have a food soul, i really want to taste Thai foods which i see on facebook because Thai have many kind of foods, it's so interesting and delicious. Besides, pagodas and cultures is one of the most wonderful things in Thailand. I find pagodas are very royal and cultures which i'm interested in are also excited