Episode 10

It's Sarah's first day. Philip and Marcia show her around.

Do the preparation task first. Then watch the video and do the exercises. You can also read the transcript.

Philip: Sarah, good to meet you again! Welcome on board.

Sarah: Thanks, Philip. I'm very pleased to be here.

Philip: I hope you enjoyed your holiday. Where did you go?

Sarah: I went to Thailand. It was lovely – great beaches and lovely food.

Philip: Oh, lucky you! It's time for hard work now, though!

Sarah: I'm ready for it!

Marcia: Let me show you to your office.

Sarah: Didn't know I have my own office! So, you don't hot-desk here?

Marcia: Well, most people do, as you can see, but we thought you'd need all your own private space.

Sarah: Yes, especially if you're meeting clients directly.

Marcia: But the atmosphere is actually quite informal because it's open-plan.

Sarah: Oh, that's good. I like that. You definitely get the sense of everyone being really busy!

Philip: Yes, they are, I hope!

Marcia: So, this is your space!

Sarah: Wow! Great, lots of space! My last office was much smaller.

Philip: How many people did you work with there?

Sarah: I had a team of three.

Philip: Well, here you'll have six people under you. We'll introduce you to your sales team after lunch.

Sarah: Hmm, that sounds good. What do you usually do for lunch?

Marcia: Oh, well, some people bring it in, but there's a canteen on the ground floor. Food's actually quite good and pretty cheap!

Sarah: Great.

Philip: Now then, I'll tell you about your schedule. There's a sales and marketing meeting every Monday, as well as a meet-up with various heads of department on Thursday afternoons, just so we know what we're doing.

Marcia: Other than that, how you organise your time is up to you.

Sarah: That's fine. I'm a good time manager!

Philip: We'll leave you to it, then!

Sarah: I think I'm going to like working here!

Do you need to speak better English at work?
Learn to speak, read, write and understand English in a variety of work situations. Join thousands of learners from around the world who are making great progress with their English level with our online courses.

Worksheet83.43 Ko

B1 English level (intermediate)
B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Soumis par jyoti Chaudhary le ven 22/04/2022 - 14:31

Permalien

How do you think Sarah will do in her new job?
of course, Sarah shell does more better than other she is looking dedicated and have more skills. despite the fact that Sarah has an intellectual mind he talks like an innocent lady. I like the way of talking.

Soumis par Moody le sam 26/09/2020 - 15:09

Permalien
Sarah will do great according to her qualifications and skills, she will a good sales director manager,she is going to build plans and new strategies for her new challenge , she will lead the staff under her which is consist of six employees nicely Best regards for her.

Soumis par ishernandez le ven 05/06/2020 - 03:45

Permalien
Sarah definitely is gonna be good leadership, implement some very good sales strategies, break down the targets the company has regarding the sales, also is gonna be one of the best models as a leadership showing the better ways to communicate with the employes and make all work for the same goals.

Soumis par Rawan Mohammed le sam 02/05/2020 - 23:45

Permalien
How do you think Sarah will do in her new job? Well I think Sarah would be a good sales director and she will lead the team successfully because she have the ability to work under pressure and conflict resolution by understanding the real problem after talking with them.

Soumis par GERARD le sam 02/05/2020 - 16:40

Permalien
How do you think Sarah will do in her new job? Sarah will certainly do well. She looks eager to start working in her new company and seems confident. I am sure she will enjoy her new job and will succeed as a manager.

Soumis par EddieLuv le mar 28/04/2020 - 19:46

Well I think she will be a Sales Supervisor or a Sales Manager
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le ven 24/04/2020 - 18:51

Permalien
I think she would do great as her likeliness is shown.

Soumis par gerardbarrachina le jeu 23/04/2020 - 19:36

Permalien
With no doubt Sarah is going to enjoy a lot into it. She will reach all the objectives she would proposed, and lead her team as good as possible. Those kind of people have no problems in their jobs, just because their're professionals, methodicals and good at them.

Soumis par Loc Dang le lun 16/09/2019 - 15:52

Permalien
Sarah seems very excited to have her own space for the new job. It is, in fact, one of the elements that contribute to creating enthusiasm to a newcomer. I wish I acquired the same motivation! The word "hot desk" sounds entirely new to me. It enriches my office vocabulary as in our company space is contracting because of the growing number of employees.

Soumis par A_Ichiro le dim 14/07/2019 - 04:33

Permalien
Sarah's wink is so cute. I hope she is going to work well with her sales team members.

Soumis par David7381 le ven 29/03/2019 - 09:59

Permalien
I've just completed all of the episodes and it was really useful. Thanks British Council! I'm almost ready for my b2 English test now. This is some of the best content I've found for business English. As well as learning English, I'm also learning French Gracias y un saludo, David.

Soumis par Lusine le mar 29/01/2019 - 20:48

Permalien
Hello.What does mean the word "hot" in this context? So you don’t hot desk here?

Hello Luisine,

In many offices each desk belongs to one person, who sits at it every day. However, in some offices there is a system called 'hot desking', which means any employee can use any desk. When a person arrives at work they simply choose any free desk and work there.

Thank you Peter for clarifying the meaning of (hot desk) It's a new word for me.
Profile picture for user Lynn

Soumis par Lynn le mar 22/01/2019 - 02:13

Permalien
Enjoy the Video quite a lot! I think I will review it again in the following month.