Listen to two people talking about changing their plans to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Francesco: Sachi? Sachi? Sachiko!

Sachi: Francesco! Is everything OK?

Francesco: Yes. Yes. Sorry, I saw you and I was across the street … I ran.

Sachi: I see. What's up?

Francesco: Do you have the tickets … for the play?

Sachi: No, I don't. I'm going to buy them this afternoon.

Francesco: Oh good, good. Listen, don't buy tickets for this Friday.

Sachi: Oh? Why not?

Francesco: I can't go to the theatre on Friday. Something's come up. I have a concert this Friday.

Sachi: Another concert? But you said …

Francesco: I know, I know. I'm sorry. I forgot.

Sachi: Francesco!

Francesco: How about next week? Are you free then? I can definitely go next Friday.

Sachi: Francesco. You did this two weeks ago, remember? I had cinema tickets for the new Marvel movie and you changed the plans then too. For band practice.

Francesco: I know, and I …

Sachi: We also missed my favourite dance group. Because your band was playing at some child's birthday party.

Francesco: It was my nephew's birthday …

Sachi: Ha!

Francesco: OK, why don't we go out for dinner before my concert? Then, next Friday we can go to the play.

Sachi: Oh …

Francesco: Come on, Sachi. Just this one more time.

Sachi: OK, but promise me next Friday. OK?

Francesco: I promise. I promise!

Worksheet80.91 Ko

Soumis par mustafa Al sweidan le sam 03/10/2020 - 12:41

Permalien
Actually last week i plan to go for camping but unfortunately for some reasons that didn't happen

Soumis par shelly le mar 22/09/2020 - 08:34

Permalien
I have several plans for my regular free time. Every day when I am off work, I want to attend Yoga class. I could have a deep relaxation during the class after a long working day, especially do a short meditation to free my mind. Every weekend, I'm happy to go to a make-up class. I feel more confidence and beautiful during the making-up although a little tried after class. While on holidays our family will drive to some scenic areas to breath some fresh air.

Soumis par zozo le jeu 10/09/2020 - 18:17

Permalien
I do have plans but not all of them happened in real life ,circumstance do the job.

Soumis par biso01 le mar 25/08/2020 - 14:55

Permalien
usually i device a lot of plans for me and my friend. every weekend i have new plans to make my friend very excited so the loves me. they wait me every weekend for the new plans.

Soumis par Rinaa le jeu 13/08/2020 - 21:20

Permalien
I think arranging our time and making plans in advance, is essential for accomplishing our tasks and relaxing in our free time. Usually, I come up with a detailed plan for weekdays, I set my objectives and goals, deadlines, and reports that I have to prepare. Also during the week, I make a plan for the weekend, as everyone loves the weekend and wants to enjoy it. But usually, I don't prefer to make big plans in advance, like changing the job or traveling in different countries. The only plan I can make without a doubt is a vacation for the weekend.

Soumis par MARIANO_HB le mer 12/08/2020 - 03:00

Permalien
No, actually I don't make plans for my free time. I think would be fabulous at least to plan an event every weekend. In this case, would be an event inside my home due to the current situation.

Soumis par Phan Bao Dung le jeu 30/07/2020 - 10:34

Permalien
Yes. I always have a detailed plan for every weekend. That can be shopping in the mall, going to play house with my daughter, driving to the countryside or having a barbecue in the garden.

Soumis par fahri le mer 22/07/2020 - 10:12

Permalien
Dear team From audio above: Francesco: I can't go to the theatre on Friday. Something's come up. 'Come up' its mean: to happen, usually unexpectedly. Is my opinion correct?? If he said: something will be happen. Is it unexpectedly or expectedly??? Thank you for your answer team.
Hi fahri, Yes, that's right. 'Something's come up' means it is something unexpected. It's a task or job I need to do instead of the original plan. For example, my boss has just asked me to do some urgent work, or someone in my family needs my help with something. You could say 'Something's happened' (using present perfect - the same tense as 'something's come up'). That's also unexpected, but it's a bit different. It implies it's something unfortunate or something I didn't want, such as an accident. I might say that if someone in my family has suddenly become ill, for example. Also, it might not be something you need to do instead of the originally planned activity, but something that simply stops you doing it (e.g. if my family member is ill, I'd be worried about them so I wouldn't be in the right mood to go out and enjoy a play). Does that make sense? Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Soumis par fahri le jeu 23/07/2020 - 11:02

En réponse à par Jonathan R

Permalien
Thank you very much sir. Your answer is very clear. Fantastic.

Soumis par fahri le lun 20/07/2020 - 17:24

Permalien
Dear team. From the audio above. Francesco: I promise. I promise! What the different from: I swear I swear or I swear to god. The question: Which one more polite or more solemnly??? Thank you very much for your answer.
Hi fahri, 'Swear' is stronger than 'promise'. For example, in the sentence 'I _____ I'll never lie to you', both verbs work but I would use 'swear' since it's quite a strong commitment. In the listening above, Francesco is just promising not to cancel their plans again, so I think 'swear' would probably be too strong. Also, you may notice that Francesco is replying to Sachi, who asks him to 'promise me'. In his reply, Francesco repeats the word that Sachi used. 'Swear' is also informal, so you could say 'I swear' to a friend or family member but probably not to your manager, for example. 'Swear to god' is even stronger, and may not be polite. One other thing: 'promise' is about something in the future (e.g. I promise I won't forget your birthday). 'Swear' has this future meaning too. But 'swear' is also often used to emphasise that you're telling the truth about something in the past (e.g. I swear I didn't take your money). Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Soumis par fahri le mar 21/07/2020 - 19:01

En réponse à par Jonathan R

Permalien
Thank you very much sir. Your answer is very complete and confehensif. I am very happy

Soumis par malacazar le ven 17/07/2020 - 01:35

Permalien
I don't use to make lot of plans, because I hate when something is cancelled, so I prefer being more spontaneous; However if someone that I know is really reliable make a plan I will accept inmediatly.

Soumis par Dastenova Firuza le sam 11/07/2020 - 18:44

Permalien
Yes, I plan to do house works, cook and go to parties, parks with my children.

Soumis par Hennadii le mar 07/07/2020 - 16:34

Permalien
Since I have two kids my free time is as real as the Loch Ness monster ;) When you became a parent all your life is changing completely. You have to play with kids, walk with them in the park, feed them, bath them and so on. When they grow older also start to motivate them to do the homework. It's not so easy, trust me. So I don't have many plans for my free time. A short while to study English, a little while for reading or watching football. And of course, at your so long-awaited free time, they would try to disturb you as much as they can.

Soumis par Suellen Esteves le lun 06/07/2020 - 18:34

Permalien
No, I rarely make plans for my free time, I usually let it happen.

Soumis par joshnamep le mer 01/07/2020 - 04:06

Permalien
I admit that I am not managing my time effectively, so I have many free time. In this period, I spend them most on Facebook surfing, and searching for some stuffs. I will improve it day by day.

Soumis par Rikaaprilistyana le mar 30/06/2020 - 14:40

Permalien
i think, next time they should make one or two plans for the weekend

Soumis par Dr Doaa Mahmoud le lun 29/06/2020 - 13:09

Permalien
Of course, planning for all time is important. I always make plans for learning new topics, reading, studying and shopping with my family.

Soumis par NgocKhanh le ven 26/06/2020 - 15:06

Permalien
I have a daughter, she is four years old. I always make plans for all our free times. We go to the play ground twice a week, and go to the cinema all fridays. Everyday, after I picked her up from the kindergarten, I buy her an icecream before walking home

Soumis par Asni le mar 23/06/2020 - 21:45

Permalien
No, I don't make lots of plans, my life is kind of mundane. So usually, I do almost the same every week. Sometimes, on Saturdays, we might plan something like going on an excursion or so. .

Soumis par Rafat le dim 21/06/2020 - 22:50

Permalien
Making plan is essentially important to save time ,achieving goal. I must do plan for every week.after finishing my duty I have many hours ,without aplan it will be easily wasted without any benefit, studying english ,listening,reading books,watch movies. In my off,Friday, I wake up morning ,read , do my favourite sport walking ,for one hour ,then breakfast with my family ,then prepare to pray.after noon I take anep ,then go to shopping , at the evening, I go with my family for asea or beach or watch comedic movie

Soumis par abudo93 le ven 19/06/2020 - 13:02

Permalien
Yeah, l made lots of plans, but like suchi and francesco we have to change our plans at more time.

Soumis par Teresa Chi le sam 06/06/2020 - 15:46

Permalien
certainly, I am making regular plans for my work week. right now, every morning I wake up very early, I read a little bit of France, a little bit of English, after going to work at the restaurant, during free time I prefer painting

Soumis par LarisaAlp le jeu 04/06/2020 - 18:59

Permalien
I always make lots of different plans for my free time. When I have enough time for traveling, I do it. I am glad to have some days off every month. What do I do? First, I learn English. Second, I do sport (my husband and I play table-tennis and swim in the swimming pool). I watch movies and read books too.

Soumis par quyenquyen87 le sam 30/05/2020 - 14:45

Permalien
In my free time, I like reading book because I can learn about another culture, learn skills and even things I have never known in the life.And sometimes I also listen to music for entertainment.

Soumis par Sharif Tayyebi le sam 30/05/2020 - 07:59

Permalien
Well, I think it is necessary to make plans for every time; it doesn't matter that it is your free time or not. In other words, making plan is an obligatory thing and we have to make it to bring changes in our situations or arranging our activities. In this case, I don't have much free time, but I usually make plans for Fridays. In some Islamic countries, Thursday is the weekend and Friday is public holiday. So, I usually prepare my plans for doing things in these days or going out with my friends and family. I don't like go to theater, cinema, plays, shows, and so on; so, I prefer to meet my friends home and help them with their problems. To be honest, we don't have good theaters, cinemas, parks, and places or events like that for entertainment in Afghanistan. I wish that one day our security situation get better and entertaining events and places get to open, then I will go there with my friends and family. Regards, Tayyebi

Soumis par amal.araia le jeu 28/05/2020 - 23:58

Permalien
Hi! Not a lot, may be one or two plans for weekends.

Soumis par DomiBoo le jeu 28/05/2020 - 10:09

Permalien
Now I have a lot of free time. I spend time with my family, I learn English and I plan to vacation in July. I'm going to Poland to visit my parents.

Soumis par wido le mar 26/05/2020 - 13:23

Permalien
In my free time, I plan to go to the mall and buy something and walk all over it.

Soumis par Milena1 le lun 25/05/2020 - 20:09

Permalien
Well, realy not because I am from Venezuela and the life cost is very, very expensive so I sometimes I can travel when my daugther, who lives in Madrid, pay my travel,But when I am in home I usually pass my free time in my home watching TV or working in my computer,

Soumis par Codjoah le lun 25/05/2020 - 17:49

Permalien
Hi Yes I do! for my free time, I make a lots of plans to work about exercises, to read bible. I also make plan to go to chuch or visit some friends.

Soumis par mouna99 le lun 18/05/2020 - 14:00

Permalien
Yes, I do I like planning my time, I used to do that 2 years ago, it helps me to manage my time

Soumis par Lauracastanos le mar 12/05/2020 - 22:50

Permalien
Before covid 19 I like to go out on the weekends with my boyfriend and my friends, go to the movies, drink beer, go out to eat, walk mountains on Sundays and walk to towns and walk with my pet.

Soumis par miguel28 le lun 11/05/2020 - 05:03

Permalien
I go out a little with my friends since I don't have much time and there are occasions that I have to cancel

Soumis par Fatemeh.Najafzadeh le lun 11/05/2020 - 02:25

Permalien
Yes I do. I am an active person and if I have a free time I enjoy visiting different countries and cultures. also every weekend I usually go out for dinner with my lovely friends. I want to improve my English and in some of my free time I learn English and strengthen my skills.

Soumis par Mann Mann le ven 08/05/2020 - 01:27

Permalien
Whenever I feel so bore,I usually go out to some relaxing places with my homies. At the movement,I usually make a call to my friend .Some are played dumb to me .They can’t hang out with me because of their girlfriend .So,I feel so lonely .Anyone can pick me up?

Soumis par Bignon le jeu 07/05/2020 - 13:35

Permalien
No usually I don't make a lot of plans for my free time. Because I don't get enough money to go out.

Soumis par S.S le lun 20/04/2020 - 16:02

Permalien
Yes,I often make a lot of plan for my free time.I like many things.So,I have a lot of things which I want to do.

Soumis par carol alves le mer 15/04/2020 - 22:43

Permalien
Yes, when I have a free day, I frequently make a plans. I usually go to the movie and next go out for dinner with my fiancé. We love it. I usually visit my niece, because she lives in a city far from here, and I missing her.

Soumis par Aye Chan le dim 12/04/2020 - 09:28

Permalien
I have also a bunch of plans in my daily life. From Monday to Friday I goes to work. So, I have free time only on the weekends. On Saturdays I learn English to enhance my skills especially in listening and reading. On Sundays i usually hang out with my friends. But,on these days due to the corona virus i just stay at my home because staying at home is saving life. But, I have planned to study English and also German languages to improve my competency.

Soumis par babul chandra shil le jeu 02/04/2020 - 04:43

Permalien
i am make several routine for free time because i could not maintain routine.

Soumis par Daudau0601 le mer 01/04/2020 - 03:50

Permalien
Yes, i have a lot of plans for my free time. I often improve my listening skill by listening to English song which i like. it also helps me relax after stress hour. In the afternoon, i usually play volleyball with my friend, i really like it. Beside, i am quite interested in editing video or images, so i download some app to edit them when i am free.

Soumis par Eswar le mer 18/03/2020 - 02:02

Permalien
Do you make lots of plans for your free time? Yes in the weekends i would like to plan the free time .For example Walking on beach side road and do the things amazingly.And went for coffee shop with friends Had Some Dinner or etc.

Soumis par luongquocdinh le mar 10/03/2020 - 14:18

Permalien
Every weekend, I often jog at long distances. Then, I come back my room, take a shower and clean restroom. After that, My roommate and I go to coffee shop to read book and play mobile game. Afternoon I nap a little time, then Maybe I watch movie on laptop or continue playing game or I will coding if I have a freelance project. Evening I go to english class.

Soumis par jason2295 le lun 09/03/2020 - 21:16

Permalien
Really not, I prefer to stay home, studying, watching TV or sharing time with my family. But on weekends I go to drink some beers, go to the beach or see a movie in the cinema.