Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet74.59 Ko

Soumis par abdalkreem seaf le ven 04/12/2020 - 15:18

Permalien
we have got library in my university

Soumis par mrelvinaliyev le mer 02/12/2020 - 06:56

Permalien
Yeah. In my university there is big library. I often go there and borrow some books for reading. I must give these books to university during 2 weeks. If I'm late then I can't take books during one months but i don't pay any fee when i'm late.

Soumis par m.someah le mar 01/12/2020 - 13:35

Permalien
there is a library in my neighborhood which has a big historical and traditional building. When I have exams and cannot concentrate in my house, I go there to study.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Soumis par zabiullah le lun 30/11/2020 - 17:50

Permalien
I would be thankful from your efforts. your lessons make me inspirations to do more and more excercises...actually very help full. You might know better, in my country about 40 years has continued conflicts between Jehadi groups and government. all puplic buildings and libraries have destoried. Luckily; when the Taliban group got rid off the power in my country. by the supportings of The U.S and international partenarships have built so many libraries and schools as well as universities in everywhere. recently has built library near my house, so many students including me have always used thier books and newspaper. but one thinks that i mentioned in this library all books are not updated. although, so many students come and use them. every weekends i go to library and pick up one novel for reading. also sometimes go to with my younger sister and study some lictures of english language. finally i deeply thankful from all countries that have supprted our country to be independent in near future.

Soumis par Sergio1994 le sam 28/11/2020 - 15:45

Permalien
In the library of my university the rules are not strict. You can eat some food, see your phone every moment and play with it.

Soumis par David_Tham le jeu 26/11/2020 - 14:48

Permalien
Yes, I have some local libraries in my country.

Soumis par luongpq le mer 25/11/2020 - 03:12

Permalien
During my time in college. I am not often go to the library. Currently, i feel so regret it. But now, I feel so inspire about reading book. hopefully, i will take a time to go to the library every week.

Soumis par HAMZEH le mar 24/11/2020 - 21:22

Permalien
There is a local library in my community ,but onestly i have never been go there.

Soumis par Leokad27 le mer 18/11/2020 - 05:00

Permalien
In my community there are two libraries , but honestly never i ve been go there

Soumis par mrelvinaliyev le mer 11/11/2020 - 14:18

Permalien
In my school there is library next to director room. I go there often. I get book to read from here. I have two weeks to read books. Then I must give to library. If I late I must give fee of fifty pence a day.

Soumis par frknakgn le mar 10/11/2020 - 19:59

Permalien
I don't have a local library.There is one but it is far away from home.

Soumis par Akram Mahmoudi le mar 10/11/2020 - 19:00

Permalien
Yes,we have a local library in our city. We can borrow 5 books each time.

Soumis par MariaFernanda le jeu 05/11/2020 - 15:31

Permalien
I have a local library but never is open, so i aint go there

Soumis par Kaique Machado le lun 02/11/2020 - 23:56

Permalien
I have local library but I never go there

Soumis par Pedro Javier le ven 30/10/2020 - 12:17

Permalien
I think that in my country libraries are disappearing, we almost don't go because we use the internet a lot, most people now prefer to look for their information through that medium, as long as the internet is used properly and people read a lot I think that's good

Soumis par Nurieta le lun 26/10/2020 - 15:15

Permalien
Well, there is a local library next to my house. You can keep library books for 1 week and you can get lots of interesting books.

Soumis par alexiaimogen le ven 23/10/2020 - 05:46

Permalien
Well, there is a local library in my city. Because it was too far away, I often go to my university library.

Soumis par Nway le mer 21/10/2020 - 14:09

Permalien
We have a local library. I go library one per week. I find the book that I can read, sit down and read the books. I borrow some books to read at the home.

Soumis par Carlos Cabrera le mer 21/10/2020 - 00:06

Permalien
The library now are more digital. However, the lecture of the book is ever a great experience more than digital books.

Soumis par Ugulhan le mer 14/10/2020 - 18:46

Permalien
I am often at University library. I work on my stuffs and sometimes I will borrow some books. It was happened also, sometimes I forget to bring them back to library and I paid for being too late 2 euro. I often go with my laptop and work on my tasks including I take up also my mobile phone but I switch off it.

Soumis par msn1900 le mer 07/10/2020 - 17:54

Permalien
In my country,there aren't many libraries.Most of young people don't read and only spend their time on social media.When I was at university,I had been once there and the reason to go is just for visit.

Soumis par elena.polyantseva le mer 16/09/2020 - 09:48

Permalien
Hi! I live in a big city and I have the library nearly my home. I go there in the summer and borrow books for out-of-class reading for my high school children.

Soumis par mauld le mer 09/09/2020 - 01:59

Permalien
Since I'm a student at university, I used to go library and borrow love stories. Now I love read online book. They're more utilities when I go out.

Soumis par Maria19 le ven 04/09/2020 - 08:31

Permalien
Yes, I have a local library. Since I graduated from school, I actually stopped going to the library and borrowing books. Apart from the fact that today there is accessibility to everything and thanks to that for technology.

Soumis par Lysa le sam 29/08/2020 - 18:47

Permalien
We have a library in my city recently builded but I never been there because it is not too big. Also, I do not like read books, I prefer read scientific articles at home.

Soumis par Faheem Khan le ven 28/08/2020 - 03:02

Permalien
yes here is a big library thats called the central library. i ofenly goes there for reading a newspaper and books. and i also learning new concepts there which can help us in the future.
Profile picture for user shelly

Soumis par shelly le lun 24/08/2020 - 08:28

Permalien
When I were a college student, I went to library almost everyday except vacation. In the library there are many lecture theatres for our students to study with our classmates. And you could also borrow books if you apply for a borrowing card. Nowdays I rarely go to library as in my living county there is a small library and it is a little far from my house. But sometimes my daught and I ride to a book store where we could read or borrow books, now and then some volunteer teachers would give some interesting lecture and I really like its content.

Soumis par Antonio Alves le mer 12/08/2020 - 20:45

Permalien
When I was a child, there was a library near my house. It's still there, but now is different, it's modern. I liked to read and I often borowed books there. I learned so much with that books.

Soumis par MARIANO_HB le mar 11/08/2020 - 21:19

Permalien
Actually I used to go to the library when I was in college. I used to go every day, it was a nice place for me. I remember that I visited it only when I had exams.

Soumis par ErichPD le sam 08/08/2020 - 16:55

Permalien
I never go to the library, i buy or download the book what i need.

Soumis par Phan Bao Dung le mar 28/07/2020 - 17:32

Permalien
My city has a lot of libraries but I rarely go there. I usually come to my university's library to learn myself, read my favorite books, and look for some materials for my subjects.

Soumis par Alifaraax le mer 22/07/2020 - 16:40

Permalien
I have not library in my town but i have one at my university it's back of the office of the university it has intruction which should have to follow everyone who will like to enter it. No food,drinking,talking are not allowed inside the the library.

Soumis par I am le mer 22/07/2020 - 07:30

Permalien
In my city located a two of large central library and more than a 10 of small. Also each of educational organisation have own library. Earlier, when i was a student, I've attended the library frequently. But, now, when I am working, I've visiting the library rarely. For the last time i used this place to preparing to exam in my professional sphere of activity. In my opinion, in this time of rising informational technology people more rarely using the library. But this organisation should exist, because she has an significant impact in educational and professional sphere.

Soumis par Ahmad_Khalil le mar 21/07/2020 - 10:32

Permalien
Yeah there many libraries in the city where I live, It's a big city, but I rarely do there, usually, I got books from the internet.

Soumis par percynet le lun 20/07/2020 - 12:05

Permalien
In my neighborhood there is not library. We use online library.

Soumis par Miri85 le dim 19/07/2020 - 15:52

Permalien
I have a few library close to me but I don´t use them so often, just sometimes if I need borrow a book. However for three years ago when I studied Swedish I went to the library almost every day.

Soumis par syah le dim 19/07/2020 - 12:21

Permalien
Yes my city has local library. It is located in downtown. I only went there once when I am in Junior High School to search for some literature that I use for my study. Beside that, my school also has library on the scond floor. Almost every day when I am in school, I go to library with my friends. I read some books and discuss about anything with my friends there.

Soumis par Andrerenre le ven 10/07/2020 - 15:01

Permalien
Yes, there is a private library in my city. I go there often to read some novels and when I need a quiet place to study

Soumis par Dastenova Firuza le mar 07/07/2020 - 15:15

Permalien
Yes, there is a local library in our country, but I don't often go there I usually buy books and read them any time.

Soumis par sara1412 le mar 07/07/2020 - 10:31

Permalien
yes ,we have local library . From time to time i go , i do read a book or watch movie in there from my laptop .

Soumis par bren le lun 06/07/2020 - 05:19

Permalien
Yes, there is a local library in my hometown. Actually, I never go there because the library is very crowded and narrow. I can imagine how uncomfortable there. So, I usually go to coffe shop for doing my homeworks or study for exam. It is more comfortable and cozy place to study.

Soumis par 7Elhoussaine A. le ven 03/07/2020 - 15:18

Permalien
Yes, I have a local library near my home.

Soumis par fatfat le ven 03/07/2020 - 12:00

Permalien
yeah, there is a local library in city center. I previously went a lot there and studied lessons for exams but I am not going anymore.