Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet59.47 Ko

Soumis par May Sabai Phyu le ven 01/01/2021 - 15:07

Permalien
I meet new people yesterday. I went to my friend's birthday party. There are so many people that I don't know.

Soumis par Luisalcaza le mer 30/12/2020 - 03:14

Permalien
In my job I usually meet new people everyday, because I'm a doctor.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le lun 28/12/2020 - 05:35

Permalien
Often, I meet new people in a month. I talk to people about their job, behaviour and other things. This is occurs because I like to meet new people. Still I am a university student so I meet new freshers.

Soumis par Tzar le ven 25/12/2020 - 11:00

Permalien
I usually met new people once a month.I also met new people three days ago.They visited to my home.We talked about our jobs and problems.I like to meet them and my closed friends,too.l use to gather with my closed friends twice a week.But now we don't have a chance to meet because of Covid 19.

Soumis par Deyse Pinheiro… le jeu 24/12/2020 - 18:06

Permalien
Lately, I've not been meeting new people because of the pandemic.

Soumis par glen le dim 20/12/2020 - 20:35

Permalien
I meet new people once in a blue moon as I don't usually attend to a social gathering.

Soumis par serena93 le mer 16/12/2020 - 20:35

Permalien
I usually meet new people when I go out with friend in some pub, there are always new people that you can know and also I meet new people when I travel and always when I work

Soumis par Tatiana barrera le mar 15/12/2020 - 17:12

Permalien
I usually know new people around my neighborhood, but this year I can't meet new people.

Soumis par Andycivita le lun 14/12/2020 - 17:35

Permalien
Almost every week in the clubs or partys, or also in social medias, i love meet new people but is kinda difficult to me because i´m a little shy in the beggining.

Soumis par pabloxje le mer 09/12/2020 - 03:02

Permalien
Well, it depends. At the moment, I think I don't know new people since March because of the pandemic.

Soumis par m.someah le mar 01/12/2020 - 14:46

Permalien
I used to meet new people at parties or official meetings about twice a week.
Profile picture for user Sabir

Soumis par Sabir le jeu 26/11/2020 - 16:20

Permalien
I usually meet new people because I'm a baker also a computer engineering student, so I can meet new people at work or university.

Soumis par luongpq le mer 25/11/2020 - 04:08

Permalien
I am new in the company so i meet new people everyday. But, I am not often talking with stranger. I like to talk with co-worker about work, and sometimes is sports.
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Soumis par DJ Singh le mar 24/11/2020 - 07:31

Permalien
Yes I do like meeting new people with similar interest

Soumis par Roya le lun 23/11/2020 - 06:20

Permalien
I often meet my close friend once a week,but now cause of Covid-19 there is no any chance to meet new people or do the other good things.Personally I am studying english and watch movie or series these days and have some workout sometimes...

Soumis par hasan.kumek le mer 18/11/2020 - 16:17

Permalien
I met my classmates 2 months ago. I am a student, and there is covid 19, so I can't meet often new people.

Soumis par Nurieta le mer 18/11/2020 - 09:54

Permalien
It´s really difficult to meet new people right now, but still we can use different social networks and don´t forget we are alive.

Soumis par Kaique Machado le mar 03/11/2020 - 00:27

Permalien
That's depends, at the moment with the covid-19 it's difficult meet new people but I have met a really nice friend playing mobile Legends

Soumis par Pedro Javier le lun 02/11/2020 - 15:09

Permalien
I don't know many people, maybe because I'm an older person and I don't go out much, also I work a lot and I'm married, for this reason one has the same routine with the same people and family, but actually I would like to go out, travel and know other cultures.

Soumis par Miti le mer 28/10/2020 - 17:50

Permalien
This part have a wrong In task1 we have a ^do you know Alyssa ?^ but it isn’t in transcript

Hello Miti,

You are right, but we included 'Do you know Alyssa?' instead of 'Do you remember Alyssa?' because we thought it was more useful to know.

I'm sorry if this caused any confusion, and thanks for letting us know.

Hello Kirk! In my opinion, " Do you know Alyssa? " and "Do you remember Alyssa?". These are 2 different speaking ways. However they are same meanning. The purpose of the talk is to ask this person to know anther one or not. Is it correct ?

Hello Loan,

In this context, yes, they mean much the same thing, though I think one could argue that in general they have different meanings. If we know someone, it generally means we have met them and are familiar with them -- sometimes just a little and sometimes much more -- and all of this implies that we remember them. We can remember people that we know and also people that we don't, though usually we'd probably say that we know them.

Soumis par Carlos Cabrera le jeu 22/10/2020 - 21:50

Permalien
In my work knows many people, is very interesting each person has a history and are special. Knows people are great adventure, satisfaction and blessing.

Soumis par GhazalQadriRazvi le lun 19/10/2020 - 22:05

Permalien
I don't meet new people more often but I like to meet new people with positive energies and good knowledge so I can learn something from them.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le lun 19/10/2020 - 06:29

Permalien
Often, I don't meet new people because covid-19 pandemic. I am a student so my mostly time spend in study.

Soumis par Zazil le ven 16/10/2020 - 22:48

Permalien
In the last months I have not meet new people due to confinement.

Soumis par wiwin le jeu 15/10/2020 - 13:05

Permalien
in my previous job as a salesperson, I met a lot of clients

Soumis par Ugulhan le jeu 15/10/2020 - 06:07

Permalien
Overall, I haven't met new people, yet. Due to coronavirus stuff, I have been at home and done study things. Usually, I would like to meet and talk to new people at my workplace or even during the holiday.

Soumis par Moon Wathan le jeu 08/10/2020 - 15:24

Permalien
I often meet new people when I am in work. Most of the people is my pupil's parents because I am a teacher.

Soumis par Than Kutay Soe le jeu 01/10/2020 - 15:48

Permalien
I don't meet new people often because I works in a University. So, mostly I meet my friends, colleagues, and students. But sometimes when I visit to other departments, I meet new people.

Soumis par habibao.medo le mar 29/09/2020 - 18:50

Permalien
i usually don't meet new people i don't know how to deal with new people

Soumis par marialuisa le lun 21/09/2020 - 13:59

Permalien
I work at my home and usually I don't meet new people

Soumis par Pola le sam 12/09/2020 - 19:11

Permalien
In fact, I meet new people everyday due to my job because I am working at sales marketing in the tourism field in Egypt and that make me friendly to my customers, though.

Soumis par Maria19 le ven 04/09/2020 - 10:45

Permalien
I meet new people every day because of my job.

Soumis par Lysa le ven 04/09/2020 - 09:45

Permalien
In the past, I used to meet new persons monthly at work and sometimes occasionally when attending conferences. However, due to the pandemic, practically I do not meet people to avoid the virus propagation.
Profile picture for user shelly

Soumis par shelly le jeu 27/08/2020 - 04:42

Permalien
As a sales person I meet new people in our factory or at some big conferences. Sometime I met new people in the gym, when we select the same exercise course maybe we could have the same interest and have the same topic to talk with.

Soumis par biso01 le lun 24/08/2020 - 10:58

Permalien
usually i meet new people in my work due to its nature. its good thing to meet new people and speaking with them and i like it. it give new experience in life that you have to learn from them.

Soumis par MARIANO_HB le mar 11/08/2020 - 22:14

Permalien
I seldom meet new people in my personal life. In my job I usually meet new people especially suppliers, they look for me seeking a new customer.
Profile picture for user Onur

Soumis par Onur le dim 09/08/2020 - 18:56

Permalien
I quite often meet with new people due to my job. I work as a sales executive. Besides, I use a few apps in order to improve my English and they cause to meet with new people.

Soumis par Kaofeng le sam 08/08/2020 - 03:02

Permalien
For me, I just meet new people from time to time, sometimes once a week. When I join a new team, I meet several team members who are also new to me. Every time I go to a party, I have a chance to meet some new people. When I become a new club member, I can also meet some new ones. We can get to know more from each other. I think that is very interesting. Life is full of new things and new people around us. Never ever stop dreaming. Always try to find new things and meet new people. Eeryone is something new in this world. Be glad of it.

Soumis par Phan Bao Dung le mar 28/07/2020 - 18:51

Permalien
My current job makes me not a lot of opportunities to meet new people. I can meet a few new people in my English class or my office, even at the book stores.

Soumis par I am le mer 22/07/2020 - 19:33

Permalien
Time to time. Usually I’ve meet new people when I’m traveling in another places. But in my work place I’m meeting a new persons too.