Ordering in a café

Listen to people ordering food and drinks in a café to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Customer 1: Can I have an orange juice, please?

Server: Regular or large?

Customer 1: How big is a large?

Server: This is a large. This is a regular.

Customer 1: I'll have a large, then, please. Without ice.

Server: OK, coming up.

Customer 1: Sorry, I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice.

Server: I'm afraid we only have bottled juices.

Customer 1: Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please.

Server: Here you go. That's £3.50, please.

Customer: Thanks.

Server: Thank you.

Server: Can I help anyone?

Customer 2: Who's next?

Customer 3: You were first, I think.

Customer 2: What teas do you have?

Server: Breakfast tea, mint and green tea.

Customer 2: A mint tea and a slice of lemon cake, please.

Server: To eat in or take away?

Customer 2: Take away, please.

Server: There you go. That'll be £4.20, please.

Customer 2: Sorry, I've only got a fifty.

Server: That's OK. Here's your change … 5, 10, 30, 50.

Server: Who's next?

Customer 4: Can I have a ...

Customer 3: Sorry, I think I was in front of you.

Customer 4: Oh, sorry!

Customer 3: Can I have a chocolate chip cookie, please?

Server: Would you like a drink with that?

Customer 3: No, thanks. Just the cookie.

Server: OK, then. That's 95p, please.

Customer 3: Thanks. I think that's right.

Server: 50, 70, 80, 85, 90, 92, 94, yep, 95. Thank you.

Worksheet61.58 Ko

Soumis par Asni le ven 05/06/2020 - 19:10

Permalien
I usually buy drinks or snacks from cafes about once a fortnight. Sometimes, more often. I like freshly squeezed juice with a slice of chocolate cake, a cookie or a pastry.

Soumis par eshan.saif le mar 02/06/2020 - 18:16

Permalien
I rarely go to cafes as i don't like fast food items or any other rich food. I prefer home made food than the fast food items. Besides, it seems to me the drinks and snacks of cafes are unhygienic. That's why i try my best to avoid these as much as i can.

Soumis par Shaista le lun 01/06/2020 - 17:19

Permalien
Not very often...yes sometimes whenever we're in group

Soumis par Leonardo Lisboa le jeu 28/05/2020 - 06:37

Permalien
Sometimes. To drink a coffee (in a coffee shop) in my city (and my country almost generally), I have to go to the shopping mall, because here is allways very hot.

Soumis par ILYES le lun 25/05/2020 - 10:30

Permalien
Each time separately , in the morning i take drinks and snacks , in the afternoon I take only drinks

Soumis par facuabel le dim 24/05/2020 - 15:38

Permalien
i sometimes going to cafe and stay eating there with friends.

Soumis par mouna99 le sam 16/05/2020 - 14:29

Permalien
I often buy snacks from cafés because it's near to my class

Soumis par Hrachia le jeu 14/05/2020 - 10:36

Permalien
I rarely go to cafe, but in our country you can have a freshly squezzed apple juice only for 1 pound.)

Soumis par cittàutopica le mer 13/05/2020 - 12:10

Permalien
I often go at cafés because I like drinking Italian coffee and staying in for a nice chat with my friends.

Soumis par konatenasty le ven 08/05/2020 - 10:51

Permalien
I like to cook at home and inviting my friends to enjoy my freshly squeezed fruit cocktail without sugar and my spécial cake.I am a good an cake and juice are my specialities.

Soumis par Fatemeh.Najafzadeh le mer 06/05/2020 - 01:25

Permalien
I rarely buy drinks or snacks from cafe, because it’s expensive and I’d rather to buy anything from markets.

Soumis par Phuc tran le dim 03/05/2020 - 01:29

Permalien
Sometimes, i go to the coffee with my friend. We order something to drink like coffee, fruit juice, milk tea. And after that, we have had some pleasure story to talk about daily life in my country.

Soumis par Kitty pretty le ven 01/05/2020 - 06:41

Permalien
actually i rarely go to cafe, because im not to like cafe, i more like go to market or restaurant

Soumis par Youssef Karfouh le mer 29/04/2020 - 15:53

Permalien
i rarely do when i hang out with my friends , we take some snacks but not from coffe , because there are many snack shops here arround my hometown .

Soumis par Emirito le mar 21/04/2020 - 20:55

Permalien
Rarely, I buy a drink at a café because it is more expensive than the market. However, when I am traveling in places different to my city, I buy local or traditional drinks like coffee, mojito, some kind of juice.

Soumis par Ronake le sam 18/04/2020 - 23:47

Permalien
Almost everyday, in my break time i used to buy a Caffe and a slice of chocolate cake in the nearest caffe.

Soumis par nguyenthihoanb0510 le jeu 16/04/2020 - 03:23

Permalien
after having a salary, I and my friends often go to shopping, then I usually buy a freeze matcha with ice cream in the Highlands coffee. because of corona virus, i came my country so I can't it.

Soumis par FRANCY JACQUEL… le ven 10/04/2020 - 13:00

Permalien
I oftenment buy drinks and snacks for eat in home with my daugther or myy frineds, seeing films. I like very much.

Soumis par zabiullah le jeu 09/04/2020 - 18:17

Permalien
actually i rarely buy drinks and snacks from cafe or restuarant. bxz where i live i could not to find any cafe. but sometimes my friends and i go to market for shopping after that we go to cafe and order some fresh fruit joices... we enjoy with each other this is very pleasure time for all of us. this situation feels me to establish new cafe near my house to offer some drinks and joices for our people...

Soumis par Aya Sayed le lun 06/04/2020 - 22:57

Permalien
Sometimes I go to a cafe and I prefer to drink french coffee with a piece of chocolate cake .

Soumis par Yuzana le mer 01/04/2020 - 04:51

Permalien
Sometimes, I buy some drink in cafe and prefer to drink orange juice than the others.

Soumis par babul chandra shil le dim 29/03/2020 - 04:23

Permalien
In our country situation is different. There are so many tea shop near to road side. I frequently take my breakfast road side tea shop. Usually, i drink red tea and bread, sometimes banana and cookies also. And evening when i return from office i eat butter naan with vegetables and a cup of tea twice in a week. Other day take noodles and some local fast food.

Soumis par Nane le ven 27/03/2020 - 21:14

Permalien
Hi! I often buy drinks and snacks from cafés. I often visit a cafeteria with my husband, we buy strawberry shakes and croissant. Regards, AM

Soumis par Yenn nguyen le jeu 26/03/2020 - 10:43

Permalien
I often hang on with my friends and we drink tea milk, tea, fruits, eat several food snacks, talks about life and some private story, have fun talking.

Soumis par Khin Nyein Chan le lun 16/03/2020 - 01:56

Permalien
I only buy drinks and snacks from cafe when I meet with my friends.

Soumis par jason2295 le jeu 05/03/2020 - 23:57

Permalien
Every morning my coworkers and I go to the Cafe store near to the office and we buy coffee for everyone. I usually like to drink an orange juice well freshly squeezed and eat a slice of bread. We also have a good time.

Soumis par s4lemm le mar 03/03/2020 - 12:11

Permalien
Rarely, I usually have a snack at home or at work.

Soumis par Abdullah le ven 28/02/2020 - 09:33

Permalien
I don't buy them from cafes... I buy them from supermarkets! i do it seldom, because I don't into them so much!

Soumis par Talha Munir le mar 25/02/2020 - 18:44

Permalien
Some time I purchase snacks but usually I did not like it.. but I like cold drink with biryani, whenever I go to Bazar I ordered biryani along with cold drink..

Soumis par hamayoon le sam 22/02/2020 - 11:02

Permalien
In our country everything buy from shops and markets there isn't any cafe shop if it's it doesn't buy anything else

Soumis par siciidgaagaale le ven 21/02/2020 - 13:50

Permalien
I do not usually buy drink let alone snacks . I hadrly ever buy drinks because i do not often go cafés if it happens i order Vinto with milk it is very popular in our local cafés . last time i bought drink was three months ago while i was eating in a cafateria . I am not totally keen on snacks like biscuits 'sweets 'gam and so on.

Soumis par Kadir le lun 17/02/2020 - 19:20

Permalien
When I go to a cafe, usually offer a cup of coffee and a glass of water. Then I eat some chocolate. cake. My wife offer coke and strawberry cake. She likes that too much. You know children always want to drink coke and eat pizza.

Soumis par Farisasky le mar 04/02/2020 - 04:22

Permalien
I buy cake or drinks in cafe when I get hang out with my friends

Soumis par Sanja le dim 02/02/2020 - 14:21

Permalien
Sometimes, especially when I am with my kids. They like to eat cakes, French fries or hot chocolate and love spending time in cafès. I usually order a cup of coffee then.

Soumis par Dinka le jeu 30/01/2020 - 07:07

Permalien
I buy some hot drinks and snaks when i go to the cafe with my friends.I prefer tea or orange juice.I am sweet tooth so i buy cookies,cupcakes,slice of cakes. despite the prices.

Soumis par ega nfa le dim 19/01/2020 - 13:53

Permalien
When i go to caffe i always buy coffe. Coffe is my favorite drink. To snack just sometimes

Soumis par MaryaSun le jeu 16/01/2020 - 17:06

Permalien
Hi, i usually don't buy drink or snack in a cafè. I buy it rarely or when i am in a trip with friends or my family. In those day we have breakfast in a cafè every day.

Soumis par ofti le mar 14/01/2020 - 21:37

Permalien
When i go to the café,i usually buy some hot drinks like tea or chocolate coffee.

Soumis par shahhoseini le sam 28/12/2019 - 13:34

Permalien
I rarely buy drinks from cafes. We usually go to a restaurant with my family once a month.

Soumis par Mdolores le sam 14/12/2019 - 23:56

Permalien
when we go to walk we take something in the cafe and other times we buy food to take home, to the beach. too for to breakfast near of the work

Soumis par Dariusz le dim 24/11/2019 - 22:18

Permalien
I sometimes buy a coffee and sweets but I never buy salty snacks, actually I rarely buy in cafes because there is expensivly.

Soumis par le van son le mer 06/11/2019 - 04:12

Permalien
I often order coffee but never order snack because snack's not good for healthy.

Soumis par Nasser_mo le mar 05/11/2019 - 14:13

Permalien
I often buy chocolate cake from the café with cappuccino or lattes .