Ordering in a café

Listen to people ordering food and drinks in a café to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Customer 1: Can I have an orange juice, please?

Server: Regular or large?

Customer 1: How big is a large?

Server: This is a large. This is a regular.

Customer 1: I'll have a large, then, please. Without ice.

Server: OK, coming up.

Customer 1: Sorry, I wanted freshly squeezed orange juice.

Server: I'm afraid we only have bottled juices.

Customer 1: Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please.

Server: Here you go. That's £3.50, please.

Customer: Thanks.

Server: Thank you.

Server: Can I help anyone?

Customer 2: Who's next?

Customer 3: You were first, I think.

Customer 2: What teas do you have?

Server: Breakfast tea, mint and green tea.

Customer 2: A mint tea and a slice of lemon cake, please.

Server: To eat in or take away?

Customer 2: Take away, please.

Server: There you go. That'll be £4.20, please.

Customer 2: Sorry, I've only got a fifty.

Server: That's OK. Here's your change … 5, 10, 30, 50.

Server: Who's next?

Customer 4: Can I have a ...

Customer 3: Sorry, I think I was in front of you.

Customer 4: Oh, sorry!

Customer 3: Can I have a chocolate chip cookie, please?

Server: Would you like a drink with that?

Customer 3: No, thanks. Just the cookie.

Server: OK, then. That's 95p, please.

Customer 3: Thanks. I think that's right.

Server: 50, 70, 80, 85, 90, 92, 94, yep, 95. Thank you.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet61.58 Ko

Soumis par Aliz le sam 26/12/2020 - 08:56

Permalien
I often go the cafe. It's so good for me and l really like it.

Soumis par glen le dim 20/12/2020 - 20:43

Permalien
Not so often as I always brought my pack lunch every day and because I'd like to prepare my own drinks cold or hot.

Soumis par linlin le ven 18/12/2020 - 08:41

Permalien
This lesson is a simple one but interesting by doing exercises.

Soumis par Tatiana barrera le mar 15/12/2020 - 17:17

Permalien
I seldom buy drinks or foods in cafes because I don't have much money

Soumis par Andycivita le lun 14/12/2020 - 17:40

Permalien
Very often, I love cafés but i love make a coffe in my house too

Soumis par pabloxje le mer 09/12/2020 - 03:08

Permalien
Before pandic I usually buy coffee or something sweet at a coffee shop, now I just prepare it at home.

Soumis par AlanFab le sam 05/12/2020 - 00:51

Permalien
I used to buy them when I worked in a café before but now I don't.

Soumis par luongpq le mer 25/11/2020 - 07:26

Permalien
I usually buy foods and drinks at Circle K in college and company. First, I will choose food or drinks what i want. Then, i will wait in line for my turn to pay it. If i want to buy processed foods such as bread ... I will order at check out counter and pay after that.
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Soumis par DJ Singh le mar 24/11/2020 - 07:43

Permalien
I don't eat outside because of some health issues. I used to eat out but entirely stopped that.

Soumis par Nurieta le lun 23/11/2020 - 10:27

Permalien
I usually buy a coffee ones or twice a week. I prefer to drink a coffee in a Cafeteria. I love smelling coffee in the morning.

Soumis par Pedro Javier le ven 06/11/2020 - 14:16

Permalien
Usually I buy in a cafe once or twice a week, it depends if I have time or not, I eat there or I order to go. The Cafe is a good place to enjoy some delicious desserts and drinks such as a good Colombian coffee and have a good time with my partner, friends or family.

Soumis par Carlos Cabrera le mer 04/11/2020 - 00:48

Permalien
With my families often enjoy a good café and drinks fruits. There are moments very special to share.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le mar 03/11/2020 - 14:55

Permalien
Not really. Instead, recently I make my own coffee by grinding a coffee mill. ;)

Soumis par Luisalcaza le mar 03/11/2020 - 00:29

Permalien
Not everyday, but sometimes, when I haven't coffee in my job, I buy a drink in the café.

Soumis par GhazalQadriRazvi le lun 19/10/2020 - 22:15

Permalien
I use to buy foods and drinks from college canteen everyday when I was in the university.

Soumis par Samqaid le sam 17/10/2020 - 19:51

Permalien
I always order a fast food such as a sandwich .I eat something I don't choose my food

Soumis par Ugulhan le jeu 15/10/2020 - 06:31

Permalien
Usually, our University cafe is costly if you want to order some tea or coffee. Although it is expensive for us, sometimes I will go there and will order a slice of cake or pizza.

Soumis par DEICY le lun 12/10/2020 - 15:23

Permalien
Every morning, when I was going to work I bought one coffee and one sandwich to go eating in the train, It was my breakfast for seven months.

Soumis par Moon Wathan le jeu 08/10/2020 - 15:38

Permalien
I usually go and buy drinks and snacks from the cafes. I like coffee and orange juice and then I like potato chick from the cafes.

Soumis par Than Kutay Soe le jeu 01/10/2020 - 16:01

Permalien
I order drinks and snacks in a cafe quite often because I love soft drinks and snacks. During current period, the cafes are closed so unfortunately I now can't order anything.

Soumis par elena.polyantseva le mer 30/09/2020 - 21:01

Permalien
I used to buy food in a cafe quite often. Now, due to the appearance of the coronavirus, I don't order food in a cafe.

Soumis par Maria19 le mar 29/09/2020 - 20:15

Permalien
I usually buy drinks at a coffee shop. Today because of covid 19, the situation is different and I buy less outside.

Soumis par Lysa le ven 04/09/2020 - 10:37

Permalien
I don't buy neither drinks nor snaks from café except when I am in harry and this is seldom happen. I prefer to prepare it by myself.

Soumis par Faheem Khan le lun 31/08/2020 - 02:52

Permalien
i buy drinks and snacks when i have to need any of this. here in Pakistan when we buy food we can not stand in line we just go to shop and buy that things.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Soumis par Rafaela1 le jeu 27/08/2020 - 13:31

Permalien
I rarely buy drinks from cafés. It makes me feel like I wasted money since I can make a good one by myself... ;)
Profile picture for user shelly

Soumis par shelly le jeu 27/08/2020 - 07:48

Permalien
Sometimes I would buy drinks or food from a cafe shop when my family go out for a short vacation or when I go on a business trip.

Soumis par biso01 le lun 24/08/2020 - 11:11

Permalien
usually i go to cafe to take my coffee in the morning and some times take a cookies. i do not like takeaway to drink my coffee, i like to seat and drink, i give the waiter a lot of tips to adjust my coffee.

Soumis par MARIANO_HB le mar 11/08/2020 - 22:34

Permalien
I usually prefer to visit bars instead of cafés because I like much more the beer that coffee or teas.

Soumis par Mai Khin Nway Shein le mer 29/07/2020 - 08:24

Permalien
These days, I need to go to the bank almost everyday. When I arrived, firstly I went into the bank for doing bank transactions, after that I went to the Coffee shop to by a cup of coffee.

Soumis par Phan Bao Dung le mar 28/07/2020 - 19:09

Permalien
I sometimes buy drinks or snacks from cafés when I go out with my family. I buy coffee or tea for my husband and me, a few chocolate bars and cookies for my daughter.

Soumis par I am le mer 22/07/2020 - 19:54

Permalien
A couple times at month, when we, with friends, attending the caffe or restaurant. Usually we buy a craft beer and snack )

Soumis par Alifaraax le mer 22/07/2020 - 18:25

Permalien
I often buy soft drink sometimes i ordered mango juice or banana shaka.

Soumis par Ahmad_Khalil le mar 21/07/2020 - 11:11

Permalien
I usually buy drinks and snakes from on-road cafes

Soumis par fahri le lun 20/07/2020 - 00:11

Permalien
Dear team. Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please. The word 'instead' is an adjective or adverb ??? Thank you very much for your answer.
Profile picture for user Jonathan R

Soumis par Jonathan R le lun 20/07/2020 - 03:38

En réponse à par fahri

Permalien
Hi fahri, 'Instead' is an adverb. Here, it describes the clause 'I'll have an apple juice'. Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Soumis par Alifaraax le mer 22/07/2020 - 18:28

En réponse à par Jonathan R

Permalien
Dear Jonathan i would like to know some informations about the course so may I ask you? I'm looming forward about your respond.
Hi Alifaraax, Yes, you're welcome to ask questions here :) You can also find course information on this page: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/online-courses Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Soumis par syah le dim 19/07/2020 - 13:53

Permalien
After school was over, I often go to cafe near my school with my friends to buy foods and drinks. On weekends, I sometimes hang out too with them at the cafe.

Soumis par fahri le sam 18/07/2020 - 16:14

Permalien
Dear team. Customer 1said Oh, then I'll have an apple juice instead, please. What the different from : Customer 1: Oh, then I'll choose an apple juice instead, please. Why is he not just say: give me an apple just please...(it is sound more simply word)

Hello fahri,

The conventional form is I'll have... when ordering something like this. People would understand choose but it would not be the normal form and would sound rather strange.

Give me is very direct and would sound rude in the context of a shop or a restaurant. You could say something like this if you were talking to a very close friend, for example, but even then Could you give... or Can you give... would be more common.

Thank you very much for your answer sir. I learned polite language from you. The foreign people like me sometime do not understand which the polite language and the rude one. So, thank you again
Hi teacher may i get certificate of completion after i finished the course?

Hello Alifaraax,

I'm afraid there are not certificates of completion for our webpages or courses right now. We'll certainly let your users know if this changes in the future.

Profile picture for user EWS

Soumis par EWS le lun 06/07/2020 - 12:41

Permalien
Just sometimes not too often I drink coffee in the town