An email from a friend

Read an email from a friend you haven't heard from for a long time to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Worksheet110.84 Ko

B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Soumis par arashjahanbakht le sam 30/07/2022 - 22:03

Permalien

I used to communicate directly with my best friends. But now, it's very difficult to plan a meeting, because of being busy. So, unfortunately, I've got to chat with them online, and we rarely have a friendly meeting together.

Soumis par Tetiana Lekha le dim 22/05/2022 - 16:33

Permalien

I prefer online communication, because you are not limited by borders.

Soumis par Windy le dim 19/12/2021 - 09:36

Permalien

Well, as for me, I would most likely use phone or video call to tell my friends about important news. Or meeting in person if possible.

Soumis par thuy pham le mar 30/11/2021 - 05:56

Permalien

i would like to talk to them directly if it is possible. If not, i think i will make a video call for them.

Soumis par Abrarhussain le dim 07/11/2021 - 22:27

Permalien

I would like to use text messages through wats app to communicate to tell old friends important news.

Soumis par Tinelli le ven 29/10/2021 - 19:04

Permalien

As we’re talking about old friends - people who I can't really meet in person - I'd definitely use Instagram, Facebook, or emails to tell them essential news. It’s undeniable that having a catch-up with them in person is substantially better, but digital ways have made communication possible all around the world. Thus, writing emails, for instance, make communication effective. To illustrate, I have got an old friend who lives abroad; however, we often talk to each other through WhatsApp, so we always keep in touch, and eventually we meet each other in person!

Soumis par mangnb le ven 22/10/2021 - 14:19

Permalien

I usually use Mesenger or FaceTime to communicate with old friend even my family members

Soumis par Stela Stoycheva le lun 16/08/2021 - 13:46

Permalien
I could use each form of communication with friends, maybe I will choose faster one /Viber, Messenger, e-mail... even calling on the cell phone/ but even on the post is easy in Uk. I came in Uk and even send it often post messages not only to my friends. Before I didn`t use that service in my country :)

Soumis par In le mar 11/05/2021 - 11:17

Permalien
For sure I will call them to say everything and have a chat with them.

Soumis par Andrea Valencia le sam 08/05/2021 - 18:32

Permalien
if I am traveling for work, I would use a phone call to tell old friends important news.

Soumis par giuseppegualtieri le mar 19/01/2021 - 23:32

Permalien
In the same situation of Kath, I think I would have used whatsapp but I think that long email and letter as well it's a perfect way to make someone feel special. Nowadays with istant message we lost that kind of "magic". However I usually prefer texting people. After that, if they ask more details I ask them if I can call them and talk on the phone. But it depends how much "friends" they are, if they are close friend sure I call them, otherwise I think a simple text is enough.

Soumis par Mara120 le mer 06/01/2021 - 04:13

Permalien
Hi I usually use email official, like a doing job. Very rarely I use email to tell something to my friend when I can't connect them or they are not online. Also I am not good writer and I would prefer to call them. About my wedding, I have been married for 10 years.

Soumis par Sayalca le mar 05/01/2021 - 02:30

Permalien
When I got engaged which is a decade ago (I feel), I told my friends about it in person as we worked at the same place. For friends who lived abroad, I either texted or emailed.

Soumis par Ehsan le dim 27/12/2020 - 09:45

Permalien
I use the devices which support the internet and applications that we can use to send text and voice to each other or make an audio and video communication with each other.

Soumis par Lilly098 le ven 06/11/2020 - 20:25

Permalien
When I got engaged, I informed my closest friend via text message to let her know as soon as possible. Later on, we talked on the phone. Thanks to sns nowadays, time difference between us would not separate our bond.

Soumis par cittàutopica le mer 28/10/2020 - 18:21

Permalien
If I will tell my old friend a very important new, I prefer to call her or him, because I think the thelephone is the form of communication "warmer" than an email, considering that I don't write the letters any more, since many years.
Profile picture for user danisep

Soumis par danisep le mer 28/10/2020 - 17:52

Permalien
that depends if it is something really important I make a call, but I don’t like to make calls, I prefer message apps and I think that is a best option if they are busy they can answer later or call me back if it is necessary to them. or I can message them to set an appointment.
Profile picture for user Cheick Sadibou

Soumis par Cheick Sadibou le ven 23/10/2020 - 20:15

Permalien
For me personally, the best way to share an important news with an old friend is a phone call cause it's instantaneous and sure to be received.

Soumis par Sulagna Das le dim 18/10/2020 - 17:26

Permalien
Personally I call and communicate important messages to old friends . If they are not available, I send a text. Normally emails are used for official communication.

Soumis par ukazak le mer 14/10/2020 - 05:43

Permalien
Honestly, I prefer met with my fruends face to face. But nowadays, we don't have free time. Unfortunately, we often very busy because we have work, family. Sometimes, we chat with mobile apps.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Soumis par Hennadii le mar 06/10/2020 - 16:27

Permalien
How I tell important news to my old friends depends on the urgency of this news. Of course, if it's urgent, I prefer calling. It's the fastest way to communicate with others. Not the best way sometimes, though but, definitely, the most straight like an arrow. Well, when the phones were with wires, and we knew nothing about the internet, we hadn't more variants to tell the news (calls or letters, actually). But now, we have to consider where your friends can be right now. Maybe at an important meeting, driving or something. So, sometimes, texting is the better choice. You can announce to your friends you have something important and just wait a bit for their reaction. If they ready to talk - call them. That's how I act nowadays. I think it works pretty well.

Soumis par Nehir le lun 21/09/2020 - 07:27

Permalien
I generally use text message and sometimes I call them. I don't like writing e-mail. I thin calling or messaging easier than e-mail.

Soumis par Roblox le jeu 10/09/2020 - 17:57

Permalien
I am using an email to catch up with my friends. I love using an email. It saves time and easy to track it down. Especially when you away it will give you more time to reply to it.

Soumis par Rorro01 le mer 02/09/2020 - 18:19

Permalien
Personally I believe that to travel to different places must be a dreamed work for anybody. On the other hand the lack of time to comunicate with relatives and friends is a difficulty to overcome in order to mantein contact with them. In spite of the constant travelling Kath seems to enjoy her job on the way she expresses herself about it. To me it seems like a whirlwind to be in so many different countries in such a short period of time to oversee other people's performance at work. To me to figure out the time to comunicate with family and friends is easier than it would be for Kath altough my job is as demanding as hers.

Soumis par Giahaitruong le mer 02/09/2020 - 15:13

Permalien
Personally, I believe in a verbally way to inform importance news to my old friends for instance I can call them directly or make a video calling to them in social network sites. Beside, I am able to write mail or chat with my friends as well.

Soumis par melisong56 le jeu 20/08/2020 - 14:46

Permalien
I think it would be more polite to inform an important news to our old friends through the phone call. As maybe they wouldn’t receive or even read the important chat/email that we wrote.

Soumis par Tania Jrz A le mer 19/08/2020 - 05:01

Permalien
I think I would love to write a letter, for some reason I feel it is more especial, though I could send a message or make a call too.

Soumis par mali nicklass le mar 11/08/2020 - 09:12

Permalien
I usually text my friends on What's app but if its pretty Important I call my friends to tell them the new news.

Soumis par Min Htet Kaung le mar 21/07/2020 - 16:48

Permalien
I usually use messenger to communicate with my friends. Sometimes I use phone to speak with them. I think using phone is more effective because we promptly get the response of person from other side.

Soumis par tlemos le ven 17/07/2020 - 14:09

Permalien
I think the best way to keep old friendships is conversation by Social Media, such as Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram etc. These platforms work all the time and people are always connected. So I think the response time is shorter than other ways.

Soumis par nabily le mer 15/07/2020 - 07:36

Permalien
Hi, Hope everyone spending good time learning and practicing reading tasks and exercise, Could any one tell how much time we should spend to finish this reading exercise, I mean this task for instance " An email from a friend" with its two tasks.
Profile picture for user Kirk

Soumis par Kirk le mer 15/07/2020 - 14:31

En réponse à par nabily

Hello nabily,

I would recommend you spend the time you need. If anything, I think most users spend too little time on our pages, just reading or listening quickly and then doing the exercises and moving on. Everyone learns differently, but I'd recommend making notes of words and phrases from the email that you would like to learn. This will mean spending more time on the page, but if you study the words and phrases you write down, you will end up learning more.

I hope this helps.

Soumis par Truicab le ven 10/07/2020 - 12:17

Permalien
I would use Whatsapp or a phone call for tell my important news.. I think, these days,the people don't work with e-mails

Soumis par Fernanda Zanette le mer 08/07/2020 - 14:10

Permalien
I would like to thank you for this teaching platform in these strange times. I learned a lot. Thank you. Thank you very much

Soumis par Aakash Jain le jeu 11/06/2020 - 02:47

Permalien
I would have used written communication in the beginning. Though there is nothing formal or informal between friends but because you are writing after a long time, it's better to begin formally. In written communication, I would have preferred an e-mail over letter writing or whats app to convey some important news. Whatsapp numbers may change and so someone's home address but emails usually don't. So the best way is writing an email first.
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Soumis par OlaIELTS le mer 03/06/2020 - 18:35

Permalien
I would used written form of communication through either e-mail or social media platforms.

Soumis par M19 le mer 03/06/2020 - 10:34

Permalien
WhatsApp is the thing for me. I find it to be the most reliable form of both informal and formal communication. It's far more convenient than doing emails. I can be assured of my messages being delivered, read or not read by the recipient because it's kind of commonly used for keeping in touch with friends and family. Guys often tend to spend days on end with this app anywhere and at anytime just to feel the presence of their loved ones. Subsequently, a significant message from me to any of my friends wouldn't go unnoticed if delivered through WhatsApp!

Soumis par darvaskristof le mar 02/06/2020 - 03:42

Permalien
I like to write longer e-mails, not just short messages - sometimes I feel a little bit old-school in my (late 30s) generation. However, it works well with some of my friends or family members older than me.

Soumis par mariam998 le sam 30/05/2020 - 08:04

Permalien
Actually it depends on what is the news I would like to telling, but often I prefer to use a text by WhatsApp to communicate with my friend, but if it’s an important news I use phone call that will be more fast to get her reaction.

Soumis par Ahmadbassam le jeu 14/05/2020 - 11:14

Permalien
For me, i prefare to comunicate on social media applications like Facebook, Whats App, and Twitter. These apps provide incredible tools which make the comunication between the people is more easy.

Soumis par Janiere le mar 12/05/2020 - 03:38

Permalien
In Brazil, we are used to tell important news by phone. We think letters or text messages are very impersonal and without emotion.

Soumis par AAM395 le lun 13/04/2020 - 20:36

Permalien
I prefer use text for communicating with my friend to tell my old friend important news. I use a lots of social media application such as whats-app or telegram for this. due to importance of the news it can be using of sms for instant announcing

Soumis par vero-bajonero le lun 13/04/2020 - 01:20

Permalien
the best communication to give them very important news is to call and quote them somewhere If it was not such important news, I would communicate it by phone

Soumis par alsayed le jeu 05/03/2020 - 12:33

Permalien
Nowadays,we are used to communicating with each other by Facebook or WhatsApp .social media became the bisc method of communication. Especiall they are devolped in such a whirlwind way .on the other hand we lost a very humanitarian face to face touch . I think this is the most crucial price we should pay per using such modern widspread technology.

Soumis par armando le jeu 13/02/2020 - 06:59

Permalien
Today is different than 10 years ago, we can communicate with our family wherever they are. Now days we can use whatsapp video calls to talk with our family, also facebook and instagram.

Soumis par DOUDOU le dim 02/02/2020 - 12:11

Permalien
Technology has changed the world ,it turned it into a global village where people could interact so easily with each other anytime and anywhere,and I just use the magic of Facebook, Instagram , Gmail and a lot of other means of communication in order to tell my old friends the important news .

Soumis par Oussema3ahmed le ven 24/01/2020 - 07:39

Permalien
For me, I use the email to communicate with my old friend to tell him about my news especially when we are far from each other but if we're in the some country I call him .

Soumis par Fikymaulana le mar 31/12/2019 - 01:40

Permalien
the one of the benefit when technology invented is to make human life easier. particulary in communication. with technology the distance is nothing. peoples could to keep in touch anywhere their are in. but the problem is the differential of time.
Profile picture for user Steve Zarv

Soumis par Steve Zarv le mar 03/12/2019 - 05:41

Permalien
It's conceivable that the most suitable way to deliver a message is through technology, granted the constant development of instant messaging that has been taking place overtime. Merely, because of the accurate features that current technology provides to the users that ease such processes as well as they offer several ways to customize the message and give it a more detailed touch according your tastes. Nevertheless, I consider keeping the traditional way of giving news through post gives it a more meaningful touch, especially when it comes to such an important topic as it's a wedding, for instance.