Responding to news

In this video, Noelia gets good news and bad news. Listen to the language Yuna uses to respond to Noelia's news and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say

Do you know what to say when you respond to news? Listen out for useful language for responding to news. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Yes, yes, yes. Ah, I did it!

Yuna: Good news, then?

Noelia: Yes! I won the award!

Yuna: Oh wow! Congratulations!

Noelia: Thank you! It's so exciting. I can't believe it!

Yuna: I know! That's wonderful! Well done, Noelia. I'm really pleased for you.

Noelia: WHAT? You cannot be serious!

Yuna: Oh dear. What's happened?

Noelia: They sent me the wrong email. I didn't win. Someone else won.

Yuna: Oh no, that's awful!

Noelia: Yes. It. Is.

Yuna: I'm so sorry, Noelia. What a shame. Can I do anything to help?

Noelia: Please pass me that magazine. Thanks.

Ana: Hello again! Oh, poor Noelia! That's really disappointing. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for responding to news? Listen to me and then repeat.

Oh wow! Congratulations!

I can't believe it.

That's wonderful!

Well done. I'm really pleased for you.

Oh dear. What's happened?

Oh no, that's awful.

I'm so sorry.

What a shame.

Can I do anything to help?

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you respond to news in English. Bye for now!

Worksheet88.72 Ko

Soumis par Miguelitorico1996 le lun 17/01/2022 - 20:45

Permalien

I haven't received any good new yet, but I'm waiting the answer from the Australian embassy about my visa request, I hope I can go to that country so that I can improve my english skills.

Soumis par hichem202008 le dim 12/12/2021 - 13:48

Permalien

Yes i got a good news recentry , i finaly got an exepmtion from the army . Im really happy

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le mer 01/12/2021 - 17:26

Permalien

Yes I have a good news recently I have passed a entrance exam in prestigious university. I'm so glad for this 😌

Soumis par LamVanPhuong le lun 25/10/2021 - 11:31

Permalien

i really don't remember that i have recently had good new.

Soumis par Prabha le sam 09/10/2021 - 10:21

Permalien

I am really pleased to be on britishcouncil.org

Soumis par Sika2803 le ven 13/08/2021 - 11:49

Permalien
Oh no, I haven’t. Recently I can’t go out because of the covid-19 disease. So as for me, if there are still have people with coronavirus disease, I won’t have any good news.

Soumis par MOAS le sam 07/08/2021 - 21:56

Permalien
Yes I had. I got acceptable results from my first experiments. My supervisor became surprised and happy.

Soumis par NYANADHAZA le sam 05/06/2021 - 10:44

Permalien
I'm really pleased for your victory of the match.

Soumis par Abrarhussain le jeu 04/03/2021 - 23:54

Permalien
Yes I have had good news regarding passing my exam of; Life in the UK.

Soumis par Saad786 le lun 01/03/2021 - 13:51

Permalien
Yes! I got good news of my result of final term examination recently . I secured top position in the class with good marks. I was really excited.

Soumis par Fatii le ven 05/02/2021 - 15:42

Permalien
No unfortunately, I didn't receive any good news recently, but I think the good news will be coming soon. So I'm a positive

Soumis par German le ven 29/01/2021 - 02:09

Permalien
I have received the new that I´m going to receive my Master degree in a few months.

Soumis par YewandeAdeosun le ven 25/12/2020 - 19:01

Permalien
Yes I have. I was overwhelmed when I heard my friend is going to be a mother. it’s a wonderful news she going into motherhood

Soumis par Pola le jeu 17/12/2020 - 17:40

Permalien
Recently, I haven't got any good news, it might be later.

Soumis par NOURHAN93 le dim 13/12/2020 - 01:25

Permalien
i have questione , it is polite way to responde (what a shame )?

Hello NOURHAN93,

If you want to say 'that's very sad' or 'I'm very sorry to hear that', then 'what a shame!' is a perfectly polite way to respond.

Soumis par Marina Hornus le dim 29/11/2020 - 20:55

Permalien
Yes, I have received really good news last week. I am a teacher in a high school in Argentina, and I wrote a proposal to get a budget to buy equipment for my school's lab and I got that. The money to the budget comes from taxes. It was really hard work because we compete with our whole country and you can receive the budget according to the merit of the proposal. So now I have a lot more work (as a volunteer). I need to buy the equipment and set up the laboratory so the next school calendar my students are going to use the lab.

Soumis par zyinabkhalid le lun 23/11/2020 - 10:32

Permalien
yes, my uncle got a new bayby. i am relly exaited to see her. he is very happy and thinkfull

Soumis par Momocompanyman le sam 07/11/2020 - 09:53

Permalien
Yes, I going to start business in the thermal building.

Soumis par Khin Thandar Htun le sam 07/11/2020 - 03:05

Permalien
I will share you that my teacher said "No News is Good News"! But I got some good news. That was my baby brother born!

Soumis par samssira le dim 01/11/2020 - 14:58

Permalien
I haven't any good news recently, I wish in the next few days, who knows.

Soumis par Fsh le lun 26/10/2020 - 04:02

Permalien
Unfortunately,I have not received any good news recently.

Soumis par abudo93 le ven 16/10/2020 - 19:19

Permalien
I had received good and bad news, but the good news was more, praise be to god.

Soumis par habibao.medo le ven 16/10/2020 - 11:47

Permalien
recently mmmm i don't think i had any news this period

Soumis par cittàutopica le jeu 17/09/2020 - 16:46

Permalien
Congratulations to Ikeda! As for me, I haven't had any goods news recently, but I really wasn't expecting anything: no news is good news:

Soumis par VIVIANB_D le sam 12/09/2020 - 05:56

Permalien
In this morning I got in an email that said "Congratulations, you interview is the next week". In this moment, I'm searching a job

Soumis par danisep le mer 09/09/2020 - 03:01

Permalien
By the way I don't remember any good news recently, there are good things that happened averydays but nothing to be pleased or celebrate. Now I am just working to use my time in the best possible way and learn a lot english how as possible.

Soumis par sindhallb le mer 09/09/2020 - 02:50

Permalien
Yes,I had good news from the author itu.They appreciated my work .I started online class for my students during codivid 19 epidemic .I tried my best to help the students for learning at home

Soumis par Hennadii le mar 25/08/2020 - 17:56

Permalien
Actually, I can't remember any particular good or bad news recently. "Nothing new" I would like to say. Basically, this year not rich for good news, if you know what I mean. It started with COVID-19, quarantine, many people died all around the world, economics decrease, some people lost their job. There also were some bad things in many countries. Tough year, telling the truth. But, I always try to find something good in any circumstance. My family is great, nobody's ill, kids at home, though, and it's wonderful to can spend time with them despite they are noisy and roughy sometimes. Other bad news - the summer is nearly over but the good one - the autumn is coming and I hope it'll be warm and sunny. Another good news - I've just finished B1 level of Speaking skill section ;)

Soumis par davicovalencia79 le mar 25/08/2020 - 14:35

Permalien
Yesterday I received bad news, it's the same situation like this story, because I didn´t get the job, I have a good job profile but currently I really know that I need more english level, so that was the reason I couldn't get that job. But it won't be an impediment for me to improve my english, now with this bad news is a reason to study english very hard every day, and then achieve my goal.

Soumis par IKEDA le dim 23/08/2020 - 17:29

Permalien
Yes, I've just had good news from the university where I wanted to enroll. They told me that I passed the entrance exam and allowed me to enter the university. I was pleased to hear that good news.

Soumis par Aisha na Shadee le jeu 20/08/2020 - 09:04

Permalien
Hello, Can someone join me to learn English together, we can share stories and correct each other when communicating, I think it's the best way to improve the language. we can chat via emails or find the best way to communicate.

Hi Aisha na Shadee,

Learning together with someone is a great way to learn. But I'm sorry to say that it's not possible to find someone to email or chat with on this site, because sharing personal details is not allowed by our House rules. I hope you can find a learning partner some other way. Good luck!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Uh thank you Mr. Jonathan R for your response, I observe house rules of The British Council.

Soumis par Saamongo le mer 05/08/2020 - 19:38

Permalien
I have often problems with this activity "Put the events in the story in order." I'm confused doing it because when I try to touch the events in order, I can't. How to do that?

Hello Saamongo,

To order the events, first click on one of them. Then click on a different one and they will swap places. Continue until you have all of them in the right order.

Soumis par Allate le lun 03/08/2020 - 20:29

Permalien
Recently I received a good news. My niece passed her exam. It was a wonderful day that day. We had a party at home to celebrate her success. I was very happy because I really love my niece and I'm proud of her.
Woo..! Congratulations to your niece and the family in general. I am pleased for the success and I hope she'll keep doing the best in her future studies. Wish her lucky in her future studies..!

Soumis par Emily thwe le lun 03/08/2020 - 07:08

Permalien
I have a good news, that is I found my old friend from University. I am so happy and pleased for it.

Soumis par Phan Bao Dung le sam 25/07/2020 - 17:21

Permalien
Yes, I have. I just get a new job that I am interested in. The job suits my qualifications and has a lot of challenges. It also has a good salary and a perfect policy. I spent more time looking for a job like this. I think I'm a lucky person.

Soumis par Asni le lun 20/07/2020 - 23:34

Permalien
Have you had any good news recently? Yes, I have. My brother has just graduated from university. He is a mechanical engineer now. I was so happy and pleased to hear the news.