At the chemist

Listen to a conversation at a chemist's to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Chemist: Hello, can I help?

Customer: Yes, my wife sent me here. I, erm, need something for a sore throat … and I can't stop coughing. It really hurts.

Chemist: Do you have a headache too?

Customer: Not really, no.

Chemist: Well, we have this syrup. And these lozenges.

Customer: Which is better?

Chemist: They're both good. The syrup is more expensive.

Customer: Oh, well … I'll take the lozenges, then. How many do I take?

Chemist: Just one.

Customer: Sorry, I'm sorry. Er, how often should I take it?

Chemist: Just one every four to six hours. Take it before mealtimes. Are you allergic to any medicine?

Customer: No.

Chemist: Then you'll be fine with this.

Customer: Can I get some antibiotics too?

Chemist: I'm afraid you need a prescription for that.

Customer: Ah.

Chemist: You know, you should really see a doctor if that cough continues.

Customer: Thanks. I know.

Chemist: Anything else?

Customer: No, thanks.

Chemist: That'll be £7.49 then, please.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Worksheet79.23 Ko

Soumis par Jeedapa le lun 20/06/2022 - 16:48

Permalien

Not very often, just only when the weather changes.

Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Soumis par Magedelabd le lun 06/06/2022 - 06:18

Permalien

Hello everyone . I often get cold two or three times a year . And I think it always been transferred from my wife to me . My recommendation for treatment is to drink hot staff and do not take any medicine. thanks and stay without cold pleads .

Soumis par Ehsan le mar 24/05/2022 - 08:41

Permalien

I get cold in the winter when the weather is cold and there are viruses in the air. I try to put on hot clothes and eat nutritious food that contains ingredients like protein and vitamins.

Soumis par Miguelitorico1996 le jeu 13/01/2022 - 21:12

Permalien

I usually get a cough or a cold each 2 months, I have to sleep a lot (maybe more than 10 hours) during 4 days so that I can feel much better.

Soumis par misty le dim 09/01/2022 - 03:23

Permalien

I seldom get a cold and cough but If I get it, it takes a month to treat. That is why I eat balanced food most of the time. I make sure that I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and drink a lot of water. I avoid sweets, canned foods, and any preservatives.

Soumis par Ray Tam le lun 03/01/2022 - 00:57

Permalien

Every year I’ll catch flu once or twice during the season changing from Autumn to Winter. If it’s not so heavy, I’ll go to pharmacy to buy lozenges to take as soon as possible.
However, if it comes with soar throat and headache, I’d really see a doctor immediately.

Soumis par jmajo le mer 29/12/2021 - 14:33

Permalien

Luckily for me, I don't get coughs or a colds very often, indeed I've rarely get one in the winter where it's colder here than the rest of the year, but when I've got a cough and a cold I try to not take any medicine unless I have a sore throat and headaches, in that case I usually drink a lot of hot mallow tea with a bit of lemon juice and thin slices of ginger, if that doesn't make me feel better in a couple of days I usually call a doctor. For the sore throat only I recommend the Ivy syrup and warm soup made with vegetables like celery, onion and garlic.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Soumis par azharbgskr le mer 22/12/2021 - 15:26

Permalien

I very rarely get cough or cold. Maybe I experience it once every four months. When I am sick, I usually rest and take medicine.

Soumis par vuhoap le lun 29/11/2021 - 12:44

Permalien

I rarely get a cough or a cold. I get a cold once a year. When I get it, it really hurts me and make me a headache or to be dizzy. So I have to see a doctor for treatment. I recommend you to use plasters or tablets that is in a prescription of doctor. I think that is more effective than self-treatment.

Soumis par ceehinh le lun 15/11/2021 - 14:53

Permalien

How often do you get a cough or a cold? What do you recommend?
To be honest, I have hardly ever got a cough or a cold, just once a year. because my country is in a tropical area, it's lucky for me to not get a cough or something like that. sometimes, I also have got a cough when the season changes. I usually drink lemon juice, orange juice,... to add vitamin C and push resistance training.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le ven 08/10/2021 - 13:09

Permalien

No, I have never cough since 2 years. I'm always wear mosk when I go to out. I don't eat ice Cream, cold things since 2 years.

Profile picture for user iEdd

Soumis par iEdd le mer 14/07/2021 - 23:49

Permalien
I'm not used to get colds in my life, bacause I consider I have good antibodies. But, once I get it, I usually drink a lot of water looking for evacuate the phlegm soon. If I have a serious cough, maybe a syrup helps me as well. However, I hope get rid it by my own.

Soumis par Paula Bermúdez… le mer 09/06/2021 - 02:39

Permalien
Throughout my life, I have not had any colds or coughs. However, when I catch a cold it is horrible because I can do anything. So, when my friends or family are sick, I tell them "You should go to the doctor" because it is very important that they receive advice and recommendations from experts.

Soumis par Yan Yan le sam 05/06/2021 - 20:28

Permalien
Its no common that I get a cought or a cold, but when I get it I use to take syrup and drink hot drinks. And a lot of paper around me, that's

Soumis par May Nine le dim 25/04/2021 - 06:45

Permalien
For me , I usually get a cough or a cold once in a year. It's yearly . Especially after a long night bath and in rainy days . Mostly , my cough keeps 4 or 5 days . That's disgusting . At that time , I take both syrup and lozenges , drink warm water and no shower . But if the cough stays for days with you , you should go see the doctor.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le sam 17/04/2021 - 03:55

Permalien
During one year I don't have cold or cough. During covid I aware more for my health and I care it. So I don't have cough or cold since one year.

Soumis par In le ven 02/04/2021 - 09:37

Permalien
I don`t get a cough for a long time now. I think the last one was two years ago.

Soumis par fariba le mer 17/03/2021 - 10:19

Permalien
i often get a cold when i have stress or anxiety and i eat tables.

Soumis par mo-tarik le lun 08/03/2021 - 17:24

Permalien
Every winter when temperature is low I usually get cold. In that case I use home remedies and I change my diet: eat more vegies and fruits especially citrus.

Soumis par German le ven 26/02/2021 - 02:12

Permalien
I rarely get cough or cold. I try care me and to have good clothes for the winter. I like wear good clothes like sueters and scarfs. Here in Bogotá generally the weather is cold and we have to wear clothes that don´t allow that you get a cold

Soumis par Abrarhussain le lun 08/02/2021 - 22:51

Permalien
I get a strong cold once a year the doctor recommends me to take some medicine and a few days bed rest.
Profile picture for user kate050186

Soumis par kate050186 le dim 07/02/2021 - 19:33

Permalien
Fortunately I don't have a cold very often, usually once a year. I stay at home and drink a lot of water, tea with honey and sore throat tablets:)

Soumis par cittàutopica le jeu 28/01/2021 - 18:02

Permalien
Fortunatately I rarely get a cough or a cold, perhaps because I live in a town with mild climate, where it's no much cold in winter. But, if I have a cold, I stay at home and I take a hot drink.

Soumis par Aroooma le mar 26/01/2021 - 19:46

Permalien
I get cold and sort throte in the cold weather also get fever but I prefer take a natural drinks ruther than medications, like ginger with lemon or orange jusie and t,its perfect.Surly take rest is important for Patient

Soumis par Roberto Dur le sam 23/01/2021 - 13:16

Permalien
It is very common to me to get a cold, as I live in a tropical country I use warm beverages, they really help, only if they fail then I go to try syrups

Soumis par Fatii le mer 20/01/2021 - 10:52

Permalien
For me,I rarely have a cold or a cough, but when I get one or both of them in the same time, I prefer first to try a home remedies, like have a hot thyme drink, or drink a hot water with lemon or honey, I olso inhalation of the steam of boiling eucalyptus leaves. As for medicines it be the last choice, when the home remedies can't help me to recover.

Soumis par marlio96 le mer 20/01/2021 - 03:10

Permalien
I don't get often cold or cough, it's very rare when I am sick, but I remember some time ago when I got a cold, I took some lozenges and my cold became worse than before I took it, even I started to cough, I wouldn't have taken that pill if my cousin hadn't recommended it to me, so I don't recommend the lozenges for cold or cough, I prefer the syrup, it's a little more expensive than lozenges but is better such as the chemist on the audio said.
Profile picture for user El Cuy Mágico

Soumis par El Cuy Mágico le lun 18/01/2021 - 23:52

Permalien
I usually don’t get a cough or a cold. Maybe once per year, but to avoid it I try to exercise regularly and eat balanced. When I feel about to get sick I always drink hot lemon juice with kion before go to bed. Moreover I usually chew and swallow the kion. It isn’t that pleasant but it helps you feel better quickly. It lasts two or three days to do effect. ¡A greeting from Cuzco!

Soumis par Minh le mer 13/01/2021 - 20:53

Permalien
I really don't often get cough that you had it was a bit annoying. Therefore, I always keep warming my body, even my hands and my ears. Remember that don't drink ice cold too much. This is one of reasons it makes you being sore throat. Moreover, you should do exercise everyday that it is essential to keep your health stronger.

Soumis par Dariusz le lun 04/01/2021 - 20:49

Permalien
I usually have a cold one time per year during the season, but I rarely get a cough.

Soumis par Saad786 le mar 29/12/2020 - 15:08

Permalien
I usually get cough, when I take more cold drinks. During winter , cough really hurts me so I prefer antibiotics .

Soumis par Harrison le ven 25/12/2020 - 04:42

Permalien
When I was youth, I usually got cough and cold on account of changing season. But recently, I do not get the cough and cold anymore. The doctor told me to exercise regularly everyday. As a result, my body resistance becomes powerful. So, I would like to recommend that taking diet and working out everyday can keep you away from diseases. Therefore, you can stay in immunity by yourself not by treatment.

Soumis par M19 le dim 06/12/2020 - 04:24

Permalien
Rarely do I catch a cold. If I happen to get one that persists and doesn't respond to acceptable home remedies like keeping warm, taking fluids, having a bedrest or sucking on a lozenge, I definitely would have to see a Doctor just to be sure nothing serious is taking place. However, it could also indicate onset or worsening of an infectious process probably caused by microorganisms, exposure to an allergen/ toxin or presence of unknown factors that may warrant further investigations and treatment. So, my suggestion is to visit a Doctor if you are not feeling well.
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Soumis par DJ Singh le mer 25/11/2020 - 13:01

Permalien
I usually don't get cold but when I do it lasts for at least two weeks. To get rid of that I kept drinking hot beverages and take some steam from boiling water by covering my head over it with a towel.

Soumis par samssira le sam 14/11/2020 - 08:42

Permalien
I don't get sick often, but when I do, I prefer to take natural medecines.
Profile picture for user javibuendi

Soumis par javibuendi le mer 04/11/2020 - 09:18

Permalien
I don´t often catch a cold, perhaps one or two times per year. I´m usually careful with getting warm, I wear warm coats and I don´t walk barefoot at home. It´s also important to wear gloves and thick socks because you lose a big amount of heat through hands and feet. That´s my piece of advice. Cheers from Madrid.

Soumis par nialataria le sam 24/10/2020 - 16:31

Permalien
during corona virus isn't easy to hear that coughing ))) I recommend grandmother's home remedies ))

Soumis par Mai Hamad le mer 21/10/2020 - 18:13

Permalien
I rarely get cough or cold in general i am taking care of myself usually and concentrate on raising my self immunity to disease, i recommend to excersise and eat healthy diet contains more fresh vitamins, in between drinking warm hot liquids with cinnamon or ginger to boost our health.

Soumis par Ugulhan le lun 19/10/2020 - 11:10

Permalien
I have got in February an eye cold, and the eye has been seen by the doctor then he wrote a prescription after that I have been to have to buy them from the chemist. They were one lozenge, eye liquid, and cream for the eye. I got lozenges 3 times in a day and got eye liquid then I apply the cream on the eye. I would recommend to others if outside would be cold, take your warm cap and cover your head warm.
Profile picture for user danisep

Soumis par danisep le lun 14/09/2020 - 03:13

Permalien
I think that once a year I'd could get a cold, for changes in weather, when arrive cold and rainy days, usually when I feel sore throat and some cough, I take flew lozenges and drink a lot water to avoid get flu. and now I know that is good to treat the flu taking vitamin c.

Soumis par viclin0709 le ven 11/09/2020 - 11:32

Permalien
I dont get sick very often because I take care of myself and my health. I take good care of my health and I take responsibility to not get sick like using warm clothes outside. I recommend staying home if youre sick and it is very important to sleep and eat.

Soumis par ivarhasse le ven 11/09/2020 - 11:30

Permalien
I get a cold once a year and i recommend you to put on clothes so u dont get cold.

Soumis par Linus Farinder le ven 11/09/2020 - 11:28

Permalien
I offen no get it but I get mor offen i winter times .

Soumis par RedTube le ven 11/09/2020 - 11:26

Permalien
I dont get sick very often but when i get sick i really get sick like i almost dies

Soumis par Mr.handsome le ven 11/09/2020 - 11:25

Permalien
I get a cold every winter and there is nothing i can do to stop it.

Soumis par kelb le ven 11/09/2020 - 11:24

Permalien
I rarely get any colds, therefore I recommend seeing a doctor, since I can't really give you any advice.

Soumis par D1N0 le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:41

Permalien
I don't get sick very often. Im pretty good at taking care of my health. I wear warm clothes utside in the winter and I eat vitamines. Im just good at not getting sick

Soumis par Niklas27 le ven 11/09/2020 - 07:22

Permalien
I get a cough after i get a cold. And i usually get a cold on the vinter.