Keeping a conversation going

In this video, Noelia and Bob talk about Spain. Listen to the language they use for keeping a conversation going and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you want to keep a conversation going? Listen out for useful language for keeping a conversation going. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Hi, Bob!

Bob: Oh, morning, Noelia.

Noelia: So, what's new?

Bob: New, hmm, let me think. Hmm … Nothing much. Oh, hang on. My dog Bertie had his 14th birthday on Monday!

Noelia: Oh, he's getting old then?

Bob: I guess so … but not as old as his owner.

Noelia: Haha … er, anyway …

Bob: How about you, Noelia? How's it going?

Noelia: Great, actually. Yeah … all good.

Bob: By the way, I wanted to ask you, where in Spain are you from?

Noelia: I'm from Santander.

Bob: Oh, lovely. Wonderful to grow up near the sea.

Noelia: Yeah, it was perfect. Ah, I miss the sea.

Bob: I know what you mean. I used to live in Spain and I absolutely loved it.

Noelia: Really? I didn't know that, Bob!

Bob: Yeah, I had a little bar on the Costa Brava.

Noelia: Wow! So do you speak Spanish then?

Bob: Oh, not much. Ah, those were the days! Excuse me. Perdona, Noelia. Tengo que irme. Me necesitan en el segundo piso. ¡Hasta pronto! [Excuse me, Noelia. I've got to go. They need me on the second floor. See you soon!]

Noelia: Wow!

Ana: Hello again! Wow! Bob is full of surprises. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for keeping a conversation going? Listen to me and then repeat.

So, what's new?

Let me think ...

Nothing much.

Anyway …

How about you, Noelia?

How's it going?

By the way, I wanted to ask you ...

I know what you mean.

Really? I didn't know that!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to keep a conversation going in English. Bye for now!

Worksheet95.48 Ko

Soumis par kimalex123 le lun 24/01/2022 - 12:20

Permalien

Well, I'm currently living in Myanmar, Yangon city. To be honest, I do not live near the sea because many apartments are taken place around the city in Yangon. So, a lot of people go to the countryside if they want t get the seaside view.

Soumis par Miguelitorico1996 le lun 17/01/2022 - 00:56

Permalien

I live in the center region of Colombia, in a city called Villavicencio, we are far away from the coast but we've got a lot of rivers.

Soumis par hichem202008 le dim 12/12/2021 - 13:25

Permalien

Yes i do , i love living there ,what a beautiful place especially in summer , new fresh air and quiet place

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le mer 01/12/2021 - 16:39

Permalien

No, I'm not live in near the sea. I live in a city near a river this river is very dirty.

Soumis par ANOUAR le mer 24/11/2021 - 10:54

Permalien

Yes I do, and I like the sea beacuase it has a fresh air on it.

Oh, What a pity!!! I live near the see. there's a wonderful landscape!

Soumis par Starting le sam 02/10/2021 - 09:00

Permalien

I wanted to live near the sea, it may be a pieceful life

Soumis par KarenAvdalyan le lun 30/08/2021 - 11:27

Permalien
I don't live near the sea but I grew up in an area where there was a beautiful lake, so I also see what they mean.

Soumis par May Nine le lun 16/08/2021 - 16:13

Permalien
No , Never . Because it takes too much time to get there from where I'm living .

Soumis par Genesis Salas le ven 13/08/2021 - 06:02

Permalien
No! But I wouldn't like to live near the sea. Here in Mexico the climate near the sea is to hot. So, I prefer live in the city.

Soumis par KATIELLE RAIAN… le mar 27/07/2021 - 18:15

Permalien
Yes, I did. But the sea here is very cold, frozen.

Soumis par maximumjeff le sam 26/06/2021 - 08:50

Permalien
I used to live by the sea, but it's an old apartment next to a dock which is not as good as one would imagine

Soumis par Sika2803 le jeu 03/06/2021 - 09:59

Permalien
No, I don't live near the sea. But I really love it, I hope that I could live there in the future.

Soumis par Arsa le mar 27/04/2021 - 02:12

Permalien
Yes, I live near the sea. It just takes an hour to get there. Actually it was my dream from childhood to live near the sea and fortunately it came to true

Soumis par desouza le dim 04/04/2021 - 21:00

Permalien
yes, I was born in south of turkey Antalya. I grow up near the see then I moved in İstanbul. İstanbul has a great bosphorus and black see marmara see but not like Antalya . I missed my childhood , we always hanged around the beach ,as always my skin was bronze , we played with big waves time of the sunset. what was a perfect years.

Soumis par Sophia00 le ven 12/03/2021 - 09:43

Permalien
No, I don't live near the sea, but I love the sea and like to go on vacation near it.

Soumis par Maylahinahahegehdt le jeu 11/03/2021 - 11:04

Permalien
No, I don´t live near the sea, but my family has a camping car, with which we drive every summer holidays to the north sea. We also own a few stand up paddling boards and 30 min from my home away is a small lake, where we can do that in summer.

Soumis par Justus_123 le jeu 11/03/2021 - 09:46

Permalien
No, I do not live near the sea but i can drive to a see in the north. On holidays me and my family drive to a hotel on trhe sea and it was so great. The Hotrl has so much things to borrow like a stand up paddeling board. So we went every day to the sea and drove the boards. It was my favorite holiday because I had soooo much fun.

Soumis par Abrarhussain le mer 03/03/2021 - 00:22

Permalien
No I don't live near the sea. Although I am not too far a drive away.

Soumis par Saad786 le dim 28/02/2021 - 13:39

Permalien
Yes! I lived near the sea for 3 days in Khobar. It was fascinating to watch clean and fast flowing water.

Soumis par Eman.F.R. le ven 19/02/2021 - 18:55

Permalien
No,I don't live there. But actually , I wish to live near the sea . I love seeing the waves of the sea and listening to their sound. I think it's the ideal place for relaxing . People live there know well what i mean . By the way , I want to ask people who live there if they could enjoy the sea or when people used to have a precious gift ,they couldn't .

Soumis par franciscakaras le lun 08/02/2021 - 19:15

Permalien
Yes, I attually live 8 minutes from the sea. It's a pleasure and I feel every single day that I'm a lucky person to live here, in Lisbon- Portugal. It's a wonderfull place to live.

Soumis par facunica44 le ven 22/01/2021 - 23:39

Permalien
i live so far from the sea, 300 km between the coast and my city to be exactly. i was born in a little town from argentina, it's a great place but in holidays time, i usually go to the sea

Soumis par lavande1983 le mar 12/01/2021 - 18:56

Permalien
I don't live near the sea beause i was born and grew up in a small town near moutains. So i love going to the sea. The first time i was on holiday in the sea when i was 20 years old. Now i have chance to travelling around the world et 5 continents and i visited lots of different seas and oceans. I prefere hot sea in tropical coutries beaucause we can enjoy the sea all year. in notherne Europe, the sea water is quite cold do we can swim only in summer. so i try to protect my skin from the UV high level sunshine. Honestly,a holiday in the sea makes me happy and gives me energy

Soumis par Yassir Ali Ahmed le jeu 07/01/2021 - 22:14

Permalien
No, I'm not, so I scared to swimming.

Soumis par Joesph le mer 06/01/2021 - 15:18

Permalien
I used to live in a city overlooking the sea, I was afraid swimming in the open sea, but my father pushed me and taught me to swim very well. I was had jet ski, It was very entertaining.

Soumis par Thinn Thiri Myo le jeu 31/12/2020 - 06:00

Permalien
I used to.I love the water but l can't swimming because I'm afraid toswim.

Soumis par Khatia25 le mar 29/12/2020 - 16:03

Permalien
No, I’m not living near the sea. But I adore sea and would like to live.

Soumis par YewandeAdeosun le ven 25/12/2020 - 18:44

Permalien
I use to. I miss the cool breeze by seaside

Soumis par Nyein Swe Thet le jeu 17/12/2020 - 09:44

Permalien
I was.I was born and grows up in a little town near the sea.But i'm afraid of the sea.lol.it's kinda weird tho.

Soumis par TalhaÖzkan le sam 12/12/2020 - 16:59

Permalien
I don't live near the sea, but I would like to by the sea. Hopefully when I grow up, I will move to Kastamonu with Talat and Talha. :)
Hi Talha. I hope you move to Kastamonu. By the way I live in Adana and there is a sea but I don't live near the sea. Its sadly..

Soumis par Ei Thidar Tun le jeu 10/12/2020 - 08:21

Permalien
No, I live in city. But, I often go to beach that is not as far as to my city and I feel relax when I reach. It is so beautiful and breathtaking.

Soumis par samssira le ven 04/12/2020 - 14:04

Permalien
Hi everyone, actually, I don't leave near the sea but not far away also. It taks 30 min by a car to get in.

Soumis par Marina Hornus le dim 29/11/2020 - 12:28

Permalien
Hello, I do not live near a beach. That is fine for me because I do not like beaches, and neither living on a side sea beach. I only visited hot beaches where the sun is so strong and I feel that I burn in that kind of place. Maybe you know that in Latin countries it is common that women take sunbathe and they think they are more fashionable with dark skin. I do not like to take sunbathe, I think that is dangerous for your skin. Also, it is not enjoyable for me been lying on the beach taking the sun, it is like you are cooking something. In summary, I enjoy living near a River where you have trees and you can swim better than in the sea.

Soumis par farhad zada le mer 25/11/2020 - 07:04

Permalien
I live near the Caspian Sea which we call as 'Khazar Danizi'. I love sea, lake, river and so

Soumis par Pola le mar 24/11/2020 - 14:10

Permalien
Yes, I do, I was born and raised in a small village by the sea and I'm still living in this village, so I'm used to see the sea everyday.

Soumis par Sana Omar le dim 22/11/2020 - 12:55

Permalien
No, fortunately. I don't live near the sea; I used to live in the mountains. But now I'm living near the Nile river.

Soumis par O'Prata le dim 15/11/2020 - 05:18

Permalien
Yes, I do. I live near the sea, but it's been more than 8 years I don't touch that water. LOL! Actually, the people who usually come to see the sea live far away from the district I live in.

Soumis par Mr.hanymabrok le jeu 12/11/2020 - 05:43

Permalien
I have suggestion, if any body need to connect me to practice this conversations lessons together I think that will be more useful, I hope to find class mate for that. Thanks for all
Hi, Mr Hanymabrok. I'm Farhad from Azerbaijan. I'll be happy. Actually I wanted to write this and i seen your comment. This is my whatsapp ---------------

Soumis par Ceci Almeida le sam 07/11/2020 - 13:49

Permalien
I live near the sea, about ten minutes walking, but I rarely go to the beach because the sun is very strong here. But I like the landscape and being able to see the sea.