Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Worksheet76.85 Ko

Soumis par Eswar le sam 22/02/2020 - 05:31

Permalien
my favourite food is world's famous food hyderabadi Dum biryani.

Soumis par Kemo le lun 10/02/2020 - 16:36

Permalien
I wonder if I can find someone to practice, speaking with.

Soumis par vikalaeli le jeu 06/02/2020 - 03:38

Permalien
i like indonesian food. there are many foods including delicious food in the world. like a Rendang, Satay, and Nasi Goreng. you must get here to trying delicious Indonesian food. you absolutlely hooked!

Soumis par sakinahussein le lun 03/02/2020 - 15:15

Permalien
I like the syrian food and Cypriot food,, so delicious so try it

Soumis par Vidyasagar le dim 02/02/2020 - 05:32

Permalien
I like Indian food. Hyderabadi dum biriyani served hot is my favorite. I prefer restaurants to be clean with good ambiance and refreshing music.

Soumis par Mohamed Ibrahim le ven 31/01/2020 - 06:57

Permalien
Actually I prefer to sit in restaurants with good view in open areas

Soumis par peterdjcho le dim 26/01/2020 - 04:33

Permalien
I like korean restaurant and kimchi-chige!

Soumis par belen2020 le sam 18/01/2020 - 20:29

Permalien
Hi everyone, i have a doubt about the audio so i hope that someone can help me. When the staff says 'I can do half past seven or nine', instead of it, could i say 'i can do at half past seven or at nine'? or with 'at' the sentence sounds forced?

Hi belen2020,

In informal language, 'I can do' followed by a time is  quite common:

I can do Tuesday morning.

I can do 7.30 tomorrow.

The meaning is similar to 'I can manage...' or 'I can accept...'

If you use a preposition then you should use a different verb:

I can finish it by Tuesday morning.

I can meet at 7.30 tomorrow.

Soumis par Ange Obscure le jeu 16/01/2020 - 21:07

Permalien
My favourite kind of restaurant is of Russian food.

Soumis par JEANMi le lun 13/01/2020 - 14:00

Permalien
I like to go to some old restaurants for delicious food ,

Soumis par Youssef Karfouh le jeu 09/01/2020 - 21:28

Permalien
actually i prefer morrocan restaurant , 'cause they have a delicious and healthy foods .

Soumis par Nisha Hari le mer 08/01/2020 - 05:30

Permalien
I do not like restaurant food. I have to eat only home made food.

Soumis par Yar_89 le mar 07/01/2020 - 18:26

Permalien
I a eat at home. I am don't go to the restaurant/

Soumis par Mohamad-Altaha le dim 22/12/2019 - 12:19

Permalien
I dislike eating at the restaurant, have a meal at home is perfect.

Soumis par Setsuko le mer 27/11/2019 - 16:25

Permalien
I don't regularly eat out because I prefer to eat at home than at restaurant. Having many the reasons make me want to eat at home. First, my mother cooks very good and always make the foods which I like. Second,the members of family can eat, talk, share together about the problems of each one. For me, the dinner is the best time in day because It has enough everyone in my family. In addition, sometimes the foods at out don't ensure clean and safe for health while eating at home can save money and make the foods we like with fresh products.

Soumis par elit.sw le mar 26/11/2019 - 13:13

Permalien
I really like Chinese food, but I live in countryside so I don't usually go to restaurant. Beside I have a room mate who loves cooking. there is always warm and delicious food in our house.

Soumis par Dariusz le mer 20/11/2019 - 00:39

Permalien
I don't have favourite restaurant. I like nice place with good and cheap food. I prefer places where is serving pizza and beer.

Soumis par Mehrafz le lun 18/11/2019 - 04:00

Permalien
To be honest, my favorite restaurant is a kind of clean, with good customer service and reasonable price.

Soumis par hoailinh le lun 04/11/2019 - 14:18

Permalien
Oh, to be honest, I am not regularly going to the restaurant. So, I don't know much about the restaurant. I often go to the restaurant to celebrate an important holiday such as a birthday party, Women's Day, Valentine's Day, etc, ... And sometimes, I go to the restaurant because I want it. I think I like the restaurant with a nice view, clean, good food and especially excellent service attitude. Because I have to pay more money for the food in the restaurant instead of street food, I deserve it. I like the restaurant with the traditional Vietnam style, the quiet space, the window see outside. Maybe the restaurant is the best place to enjoy delicious food.

Soumis par Hoàng Nhung le mer 30/10/2019 - 02:51

Permalien
I love a restaurant with good food, good ventilation and good clean

Soumis par sea2007 le mar 29/10/2019 - 11:49

Permalien
Hi Kirk, Could you please advise me on how can I improve my skills in business English espically formal writing skills? , do you recommend a book I wasted around three years studying general English courses without any progress in my writing in my formal mail. on a daily basis, I have to send 10 emails .so, I spend a long time searching for similar mail to copy. Note: the British council in Egypt does not offer a business English course for individuals anymore.

Hello sea2007

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any such book -- though I'm sure there are some good ones out there -- but I'd be happy to make some recommendations.

First of all, on our site you can find a section called English for emails, though I expect you may know most of what it covers already. There are also several business emails in our Reading and Writing skills sections; I would recommend you check out the B2 and C1 level sections of both -- there should be at least four business-related emails in B2 Reading, C1 Reading, B2 Writing and C1 Writing. We are also working on some new articles for our Business Magazine. I'm not sure how useful they might be for you, and it will be a few months before they are ready, but it might be a good place to look in the future. Finally, there is our LearnEnglish Select course, which you can join if you subscribe to LearnEnglish (though please know that this costs money).

Beyond this, I expect you could find example emails to use as models if you did an internet search for "example business emails" or something similar, though it sounds as if you already do this. If you were able to work with a business English teacher specifically on writing, I'm sure that would also be really useful.

I hope this helps you.

All the best

Soumis par f.agadr le lun 28/10/2019 - 11:39

Permalien
Fdaili Agadr I have completed the lesson for "booking A Table". The level I chose is Beginner A1.

Hello Fdaili Agadr

Thanks for your comment.

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Soumis par ayeennn le ven 04/10/2019 - 01:49

Hello ayeennn

I just wanted to explain that we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

All the best

Soumis par Izzati Saufie le jeu 03/10/2019 - 13:53

Soumis par nurnadiahazlan le jeu 03/10/2019 - 10:15

Permalien
I have completed the lesson for "Booking a Table". The level I chose is Beginner A1

Soumis par nurul ashikin le jeu 03/10/2019 - 07:17

Soumis par NUR SYAMIERA Z… le jeu 26/09/2019 - 02:14

Permalien
I have completed the following lesson Booking a table. The level that I choose is beginner

Soumis par Syazwin Yusriman le jeu 26/09/2019 - 02:08

Permalien
I have completed the task beginner A1 booking a table.

Soumis par nurbiena le jeu 19/09/2019 - 16:54

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons of A Booking a table. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par Louvennea Joyenne le jeu 19/09/2019 - 09:21

Permalien
My favourite kind of restaurant is Chinese Cuisine restaurant. I have completed the following lessons of Shopping for Clothes, Finding Library and Booking a Table. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par FLORENCE SHERRIE le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:38

Permalien
I have completed the lesson of booking a table.

Soumis par Hannan Aqil le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:32

Permalien
i have completed the following lessons of A request for your boss. The level that I choose was beginer

Soumis par Qhairun Nazmeen le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:03

Permalien
I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Soumis par Syazwanny17 le jeu 19/09/2019 - 08:01

Soumis par Nguyễn Thị Hồng Châu le dim 15/09/2019 - 15:53

Permalien
Hello everyone, Im come from VietNam, nice to meet you All I want to write my answer for Discussion of this lesson: Sure, I often support my colleague works when they take their day offs. Cause I work for a French Food company in Viet Nam, so when the summer comes, my French colleagues return to France in 15 - 20 days

Soumis par Jamilmakawi le lun 26/08/2019 - 11:46

Permalien
Usually, I'm quiet fond of Indian restaurants, because they have a wide range of spicy foods.