Showing interest

In this video, Bob tells Noelia about when he broke his leg. Listen to the language Noelia uses to show interest and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say

Do you know what to say when you want to show interest? Listen out for useful language for showing interest. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Morning, Bob.

Bob: Oh, good morning.

Noelia: It's so rainy today. The weather in this country is horrible!

Bob: Yes … yes … The weather was even worse when I lived in Canada.

Noelia: Oh, I didn't know that you lived in Canada, Bob. How cool!

Bob: One winter it was so cold and windy that I fell on the ice and broke my leg in three places.

Noelia: Oh no! You're joking!

Bob: I wish I was, Noelia, I wish I was. I was never the same after that winter. And my leg is still bad today.

Noelia: Really? I'm sorry to hear that. Poor you.

Bob: But it's not all bad. I met my wife in the hospital. She was the doctor who looked at my leg!

Noelia: No way!

Bob: It was love at first sight!

Noelia: Ah, that's brilliant!

Bob: Yes, and we're still in love 40 years later …

Noelia: So in the end, breaking your leg was the best thing that could have happened.

Bob: Yes, I suppose it was!

Ana: Hello again! Aww, I love a story with a happy ending! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for showing interest? Listen to me and then repeat.

Oh, I didn't know that you lived in Canada!

How cool!

Oh no, poor you.

You're joking!

Really?

I'm sorry to hear that.

No way!

That's brilliant!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to show interest in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Worksheet116.44 Ko

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Soumis par sarkhan_rahimli le mar 13/09/2022 - 10:43

Permalien

Yes. My left leg broked 3 years ago.

Soumis par Cinthiaaaaa le sam 03/09/2022 - 04:13

Permalien

Fortunately, i never broke my leg or arm.

Soumis par farhadwahaj le lun 29/08/2022 - 07:51

Permalien

It's the blessing of Allah that I have not broken my legs and arms yet, and I hope that I will not break them in the future as well. I am very afraid of breaking legs or arms, as it has pretty harsh pain and I can not suffer the pain.

Soumis par Ayoub-XxBuoYaxX le sam 20/08/2022 - 22:17

Permalien

Yes, two times when I was a child. The first time I felt from the steers, and the second I felt when I was in rush with my bicycle.

Soumis par Siana_if le lun 15/08/2022 - 19:33

Permalien

I broke my leg 10 years ago. It was winter and I tried to stay on the slippery road. But alas! 4 month out of work. I can say as Bob: "I was never the same after that winter". But I'm on positive like Bob ))

Soumis par jade0 le mar 19/07/2022 - 09:29

Permalien

I have broke my foot before six years age when I was in school and that was terrible I rest in bed for two weeks but the happy things that I got it holiday for two weeks (:

Soumis par redragons0 le lun 30/05/2022 - 11:33

Permalien

I never got injured on my body, however around 5 months ago I fell down unexpectedly due to neurological attack.

Soumis par badboyzz le dim 24/04/2022 - 12:51

Permalien

I never broke my legs or arms but had a little aches in my back last month.Now I feel very good because started do exercise :) I think exercise is magic.

Soumis par anila_khan le sam 16/04/2022 - 21:30

Permalien

No, nothing like that happened to me in the past, and I pray that we all would be safe from any tragic incidents.

Soumis par jyoti Chaudhary le ven 28/01/2022 - 13:18

Permalien

No, I didn't break my legs or hand. In winter nearby my house it always has snow. I'm always taking precautions before going outside.

Soumis par dainien521 le jeu 20/01/2022 - 09:48

Permalien

i have never broken an arm or a leg. so i just think that who experience this maybe feel so bad becaues they are not flexible as they are. and maybe it will be a obstacle in their daily activities.

Soumis par Suraj paliwal le lun 29/11/2021 - 14:44

Permalien

Oh, I'm lucky i have never broken my leg and arm. I wish it will never happen to anyone. That's very horrible.

Soumis par ANOUAR le lun 15/11/2021 - 10:52

Permalien

I have never broken my arm or my leg, and I wish I will not !

Soumis par LamVanPhuong le jeu 14/10/2021 - 13:11

Permalien

yeah it is lucky! because i have never broken my arm and leg

Profile picture for user Kadir

Soumis par Kadir le ven 17/09/2021 - 19:31

Permalien
Yes, I really had broken my arm. When I was 10, I was playing on the roof. I was imitating to drive car with my arms. And I was going to from one edge of roof to other edge by forward and back. Certainly you guessed the next scene. I fell down to ground from roof. I my arm had broken. For a long time I couldn't use my arm and couldn't play with my friends. It became an important experience for me. I never played again like that. :))

Soumis par Said Wais Isse le dim 25/07/2021 - 16:57

Permalien
Hi everyone, English is not my first language, but I really want to learn it. I loved the way the woman made the link between the good luck and the expression « break a leg ».

Soumis par Eman najeep le dim 06/06/2021 - 21:29

Permalien
No i have never broken my leg or arm.. And I don't wish that would happen.

Soumis par MikhailZatopliaev le lun 22/03/2021 - 23:44

Permalien
I have broken my arm when I was young. We was playing football, but arm broken, because I was the goalkeeper.

Same you 100%
I was the goalkeeper. I was eating with my right hand and repel the ball with my left hand 😂😂😂😂😂.

Soumis par PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN le sam 06/03/2021 - 12:26

Permalien
NO, I never been broken an arm or a leg. I hope that this kind of situation happen to me in future. I could not handle the pain .

Soumis par Brenda Patrici… le mar 02/03/2021 - 21:22

Permalien
Yes, I have, when I was a child, I was playing with my brother, we were running on the ground, suddenly I stepped on a small stone and I fell over, all my body had fallen over my left arm.

Soumis par kaveh le lun 01/02/2021 - 23:56

Permalien
Hi Jonathan, Unfortunately, all the tasks on every pages not working properly. I can just play the videos and voices and see the transcripts. Do you think this is because of my cell phone type? Thanks for your consideration!

Hello kaveh,

The tasks are working for me and I can't see any problems. I'd suggest you try using a different web browser to see if they work there. If not, you may need to try using a different device such as a laptop or tablet.

Hope this helps.

Soumis par Mohamed Abd El… le dim 31/01/2021 - 07:33

Permalien
i wish there is a recording to record and listen to compare your performance with what we listen to.

Hello Mohamed,

It's not something we have on the site but it's a good idea for improving your English. You can use your phone, of course, or a free recording app like Audible to record yourself.

It's also useful to practise speaking with (at the same time as) the recording. This will help you get used to natural speech speed and rhythm.

Soumis par kaveh le sam 30/01/2021 - 23:47

Permalien
As well as I have this problem with all '' Task 1,2 and 3'' parts.

Hi kaveh,

Thanks for letting us know about the problem. I've just tried the tasks and they are all working OK for me now, so I hope it was just a temporary problem.

If the tasks are still not working for you, is it only on this page? Or do the tasks on other pages also not work?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Soumis par kaveh le sam 30/01/2021 - 23:45

Permalien
Hi! Why ''Preparation box'' doesn't show anything for me?

Soumis par tenedos le sam 30/01/2021 - 14:31

Permalien
I've never broken a part of my body so far fortunately.

Soumis par German le jeu 14/01/2021 - 23:41

Permalien
I have never briken an arm or leg. I have had accidents but my arms and my legs never have been broken.

Soumis par erkosman le lun 11/01/2021 - 19:00

Permalien
Yes I did. My arm have been broken in the market while put down the vegetables. I fall down to the ground from upside of truck. Honestly, other arm was good. I finished the day with one arm.
Profile picture for user Khin Yee Mon Khaing

Soumis par Khin Yee Mon Khaing le ven 25/12/2020 - 05:16

Permalien
No,I have never broken my leg.Thanks for your sharing.

Soumis par mr.yashar le dim 13/12/2020 - 11:54

Permalien
i cant answer to all of the preparation question just it show 3 question.what can i do?

Hello mr.yashar,

I'm sorry that's confusing. When you want to drop a phrase in a box, you have to click or press on the small white hand (on the right) of the phrase that is already in the box. Then the second phrase will also move into the box.

It's easy to do but a little difficult to explain, so if you'd like me to describe how to do it again, please let us know.

Soumis par mr.yashar le dim 13/12/2020 - 11:51

Permalien
when i was 15 i broke my leg and it was very bad.but now is good.

Soumis par mox55 le mer 02/12/2020 - 12:43

Permalien
When I was 17, I broke my fist. Because I attacked bad guy who attacked me first. He told me to pay. Not only that, I even demanded it from my girlfriend I was with. So I hit him. As a result, I broke my fist.

Soumis par Nurieta le lun 23/11/2020 - 11:57

Permalien
Hi, when I was 11 years old, I broke my leg. I broke tibia and fibula in two places. I was skating and I fell on my leg. It was horrible because I had my leg in plaster during three - month.

Soumis par O'Prata le mer 04/11/2020 - 04:19

Permalien
I wished there was winter here in Angola. At least I've never broken my leg. Haha!

Soumis par Moon Wathan le sam 17/10/2020 - 06:19

Permalien
No, I have never broken an arm or a leg.

Soumis par Nway le jeu 15/10/2020 - 06:49

Permalien
When i was young , my left arm was broken but it was ok. There was no deformity.