Improve your English with our free resources
Learn English online using our high-quality resources to improve your English. This website is created for adult learners of English by the British Council, the world's English teaching experts.
Learn English every day
Whether you have ten minutes or an hour to practise your English, you'll find a wide variety of learning materials to help you make progress and improve your language skills. All the activities on the LearnEnglish website are designed for self-study to support your learning, with interactive exercises and worksheets.
Practising little and often is the best way to improve your English, so come back regularly to see what's new on the site.
Take our free online test
Start by taking our online level test to give you an approximate indication of your English proficiency level. You can then use the result to help you find content on our website that is appropriate for your English language ability.
Improve your English skills
Improving your skills will help you use English more effectively so that you can do well in your studies, get ahead at work and confidently communicate in English in your free time.
- Practise and improve your speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Learning materials organised by language level (CEFR A1–C1)
- Variety of types of texts, recordings and videos
Practise your English grammar
By revising and practising your grammar, you will increase your accuracy and confidence in English and improve your overall language level.
- Clear and simple grammar lessons
- Check your understanding and practise using English grammar
- A grammar reference helps to explain the verb tenses and grammar rules
Increase your English vocabulary
Learning new words helps you to increase your understanding and express yourself clearly in English.
- Learn new words at your level
- Vocabulary organised by topic
- Practise spelling and using the new words in a variety of contexts
Develop your business English language skills
Studying business English allows you to develop English language skills that are useful in many working environments.
- Wide variety of activities to develop your interview skills, write clear emails in English and learn about up-to-date business topics and issues
- Specially designed tasks to help you understand the topic and use the language skills that you have learned
Improve your general English
Improving your knowledge of everyday English helps give you the confidence you need for socialising with friends and colleagues.
- Wide range of reading, listening and language practice activities
- Short, interesting articles for you to read about special days and global issues
- YouTube videos about a wide range of topics, with learning materials to improve your comprehension and check your understanding
Join our community events
The British Council organises events on social media where you can ask our expert educators questions. If you have any questions about our courses or about learning English in general, you're welcome to join our live events on Facebook and YouTube. They're free and you can join as many as you want.
Find online English courses to suit your learning style
Whether you want to improve your English reading and writing skills, learn to speak English more fluently or simply develop your English vocabulary, we offer a range of flexible and personalised online courses to suit your unique style of learning.
Choose between self-study or teacher-led learning and discover a wide variety of exclusive learning materials to support your study of the English language. Experience live, online group classes, personalised learning pathways, detailed progress tracking and valuable feedback.
Find courses for your children
Discover our English courses for children of all ages, developed by our team of English language experts.
Study with our LearnEnglish apps
We have a selection of apps for both adult learners and primary-age and pre-school children.