Jo: These are my pets. Erm, this one's Chloe and this one's Autumn, and they're guinea pigs. They live here, they live here in this cage. They've got upstairs, downstairs, and they spend most of their day eating and running round the garden eating my flowers. But they're quite good pets. They're really friendly. And my daughters really wanted to get some pets during lockdown. I know lots of people bought pets in lockdown. But these guinea pigs are perfect for our, for our family. They're quite cute. Look, cuties!
Kirk: When I was a kid, I sometimes took care of the neighbour's cats and dog when they went away, and I once took care of an owl for a few months when I worked in a nature centre. But I've never had a pet of my own, um, never really wanted one, to be honest. I do like dogs, but I think if you have a pet, it puts limitations on what you can do on travel and things like that and, uh, and I wouldn't want that.
Jo: So, these cows … well, they're not my pets. They're not my cows, actually, but they live here, just on the other side of my garden fence. Look, and they're ever so friendly. They've come to say hello. They live really near me and I like looking at them out of the window.
Jo: Now, this is Fosca, and she's not my dog but she's a dog that … she's my friend's dog and we go running together, so this is Fosca who's a beautiful dog that I borrow sometimes. Hey, Fosqui!
Jonathan: Erm, I don't have a pet at the moment, but I would like to one day, er, yes. But actually I do have a bird that I'm taking care of right now. Er, you can have a look in this box. Er, I found this little bird in the street just now, and it was all alone and a bit scared, so I'm just about to drop it off at the government so they can take care of it properly. That nice little bird.
In this video, the LearnEnglish team talk about pets and other animals around them. Here are some of the things they said.
- These are my pets. This one's (Chloe) and this one's (Autumn).
- They live here, (in this cage / on the other side of the fence).
- They're really (friendly/cute/playful … ).
- She's not my (dog). She's (my friend's dog).
- When I was a kid, I sometimes took care of (the neighbour's cats and dog).
- I've never had a pet of my own.
- If you have a pet, it puts limitations on (travel and things like that).
- I don't have a pet at the moment, but I would like to one day.
Now it's your turn
- Have you ever had a pet? Tell us about it!
- If you haven't had a pet, would you like to have one?
- Are there any animals around where you live?
Write a comment and, if you like, share a picture. Pictures should be yours and must not include people who can be identified.
Replying to other users' comments is a great way to practise interaction and conversation skills. Press 'reply' to write a reply to a comment that you find interesting.
If you want to practise speaking, you can record your response using SpeakPipe voice recorder and post a link to the recording in your comment.
* Recordings are kept on SpeakPipe's server for three months. Please don't include any music in your recording.