Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
From: Simona Reggia
To: City Language School
Subject: Courses in August
Dear Sir or Madam,
I have seen your website and I would like to know more about your English courses.
I am interested in taking a two-week course in August. Are there any places available, and what are the start dates?
Also, do you have any accommodation for those dates?
Thank you for your help.
From: Susan Colworth, City Language School
To: Simona Reggia
Subject: Re: Courses in August
Thank you for your interest in our courses.
- Yes, we have places on all our August courses.
- Start dates are 7, 14 and 21 August (Mondays).
- Yes, we have rooms for students near the school. I am attaching some more information, photos and the prices.
Which course would you like, and which start date? If you would like accommodation, please let me know soon, as it is very popular.
Feel free to email me with any other questions.
City Language School
1. If you don’t know the name of the person you’re writing to, write Dear Sir or Madam.
2. If the person who wrote to you gave you their first name, you can use it. Hi is less formal than Dear.
3. To reply to someone’s email, start with Thank you for your email / your interest / the information.
4. Say I am attaching … or Please find attached … to tell someone what you have attached to the email.
5. Finish with Regards, and your name.
You can find information about that on our Study English in the UK page.
All the best
The LearnEnglish Team